You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Marathon27
Does anyone know when the adcoms are meeting/met this month to discuss AWPA letters?
--
For some reason I thought the first batch of awpa/rejections was this week. Not sure though. Been checking my mail constantly.
When we interviewed on the 14th, we were told the next admissions review would be on October 16th, then Beth'd send out the decisions ASAP for our sake, and that the first batch of acceptances would come out late November/near December 1st.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got the we have received your AMCAS application email. I was wondering how long does it take for them to screen for a secondary.
Thanks!
Assuming you are from Illinois and south of I-80, I received my secondary the next day, so I think they have a pretty quick turnaround. That being said this was only my experience and I can't say for others.
I just got the we have received your AMCAS application email. I was wondering how long does it take for them to screen for a secondary.
Thanks!
I got the email that SIU received my amcas on 9/13. I'm still waiting for a secondary. Hope I get one soon.
Received an AWPA letter in the mail yesterday! Now the real waiting begins.
Congrats!!!
Received an AWPA letter in the mail yesterday! Now the real waiting begins.
Congrats...I was interviewed the first week...I am anxiously awaiting the results =(
I have an interview Thursday. While doing all of the secondary stuff last month I really enjoyed reading about the school and I have a huge amount of respect for their mission. It also looks as though they have some great opportunities for residencies. I'm from Peoria(Morton), I wonder how much they'll like me. I don't know what to expect! My second interview of the day was recently rescheduled; probably because the surgeon that was doing the second interview ended up too busy... Anyway, Good luck to everyone!
Congrats...I was interviewed the first week...I am anxiously awaiting the results =(
My letter was post marked the 21st of September if that helps give you a time frame of when your letter may be arriving. GOOD LUCK!
Congrats.Received an AWPA letter in the mail yesterday! Now the real waiting begins.
There always seem to be a few from Peoria, and I know of at least one who claims to be from Morton.I have an interview Thursday. While doing all of the secondary stuff last month I really enjoyed reading about the school and I have a huge amount of respect for their mission. It also looks as though they have some great opportunities for residencies. I'm from Peoria(Morton), I wonder how much they'll like me. I don't know what to expect! My second interview of the day was recently rescheduled; probably because the surgeon that was doing the second interview ended up too busy... Anyway, Good luck to everyone!
There always seem to be a few from Peoria, and I know of at least one who claims to be from Morton.
+1 to P-town
Got my AWPA letter Saturday! So excited!
+1 to P-town
P-town! There are several of us.
Congrats to the new AWPAs. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm pretty excited about this AWPA. I wonder what percentage of interviewees are given one...?
Just got an AWPA too. I'm very happy about it. I just hope I can get the final acceptance.
I believe 85-90% of AWPA list is eventually accepted
I got a screener's alternate status today. Do I have any chance or is it over?
I still cant believe it 🙁
Screeners alternate is typically a "better luck next year" sort of deal. Sad but true. Even AWPA isn't a lock.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.
My biggest fear.
Yeah, it was my biggest fear too. Then I got to medical school. Your biggest fear quickly becomes "Oh my gosh please don't let me have to spend my summer here in remediation or make me have to repeat a year." I guess what I'm trying to say is...don't sweat the stuff that's out of your control. If you're AWPA, odds are in your favor that you'll be in C-Dale stressing much more important things soon.
3.7 and 32RWould those with AWPA's or rejections mind posting stats or what went either right or wrong in your app/interview?
The interviews were very relaxed and conversational. Make sure you emphasize how you want to stay in the area and serve the central/southern Illinois community. As most of you probably know, they really look for that.
What are the character limits for the secondary application?
300 words for the first essay.
Then 500 words for the second one
i believe
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys
Scheduled my interview. They really have a fast turnaround when I sent in my signature form for the secondary to an invite.
for those who have already went through the interviews. Can you share your thoughts, what kind of questions they ask and overall experience.
Thanks
Scheduled my interview. They really have a fast turnaround when I sent in my signature form for the secondary to an invite.
for those who have already went through the interviews. Can you share your thoughts, what kind of questions they ask and overall experience.
Thanks
Its low stress. Dress nice and come hang out for the day.Hey Guys
Scheduled my interview. They really have a fast turnaround when I sent in my signature form for the secondary to an invite.
for those who have already went through the interviews. Can you share your thoughts, what kind of questions they ask and overall experience.
Thanks
So are you going to be the 2016-er that posts in here? We need one of those, I'm so far removed from M1 now.In the class of '16 we have:
Myself, from Washington
1 from Brimfield
1 from Chilicothe
5 from P-Town
So that's 10% of the class right there...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.
So are you going to be the 2016-er that posts in here? We need one of those, I'm so far removed from M1 now.
old man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO3YmT2d-8k
So are you going to be the 2016-er that posts in here? We need one of those, I'm so far removed from M1 now.
Yup. I'll be here for M1 questions.
I am from Chicago and I have no problems relocating for medical school. How strong of a case should I make for this during my interview? Also, does anyone have any information on the interview process? Is it formal/informal? Are there any unique programs to SIU Med school that I should know about? Any information would be helpful since my interview is coming up. 🙂
Thanks,
V
Thanks,
V
SIU SOM Mission Statement: "... to assist the citizens of central and southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care service and research."
Get on board with that and you'll be good for any interview questions related to coming/staying to southern Illinois.
Note: It's the "no problem relocating for medical school" thing that will catch notice. You will want to make a convincing case that you are willing to relocate to practice medicine.
As far as special programs go, the PBL style is not unique, but it may come up in the interview (I think it does most of the time.) Be prepared to answer questions about your ability to self direct your learning and learn in a group setting. These are important questions because if you come to SIU you're going to be doing both a lot of the time.
The interview is probably the most laid back you will come across. Relax and try to enjoy it. It's going to be a lot like a conversation and less like an interrogation. That doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare. The two areas I mentioned above are(in my opinion) two of the most important.
Get on board with that and you'll be good for any interview questions related to coming/staying to southern Illinois.
Note: It's the "no problem relocating for medical school" thing that will catch notice. You will want to make a convincing case that you are willing to relocate to practice medicine.
As far as special programs go, the PBL style is not unique, but it may come up in the interview (I think it does most of the time.) Be prepared to answer questions about your ability to self direct your learning and learn in a group setting. These are important questions because if you come to SIU you're going to be doing both a lot of the time.
The interview is probably the most laid back you will come across. Relax and try to enjoy it. It's going to be a lot like a conversation and less like an interrogation. That doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare. The two areas I mentioned above are(in my opinion) two of the most important.
Anyone with new AWPA letters??? I am still waiting for a decision from SIU. 🙁
I've stalked this thread for a while and decided it was about time I made an account and posted.
II for 11/5, so excited!
Congratulations, my friend!
Interviews at SIU are very conversational, and they may also last anywhere from 30-60 minutes. I hope you do really well in your interviews. Good luck! 🙂
Received "Ranked Alternate" letter today. So I guess that's a rejection since they accept very few, if any at all, students each year from that list. But I guess as a resident of Chicago, I couldn't show them the dedication to serve in Central-Southern Illinois region. Anyways, good luck to all fellow SDNers who are waiting for their decisions. 🙂
Sorry to hear that Pate. There hasn't been a ranked alternate in quite some time I think. There's usually a few AWPA's every year that don't make it in even.
Congrats lakers! Now time for the long wait for that first batch of acceptances.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.
Congrats lakers! Now time for the long wait for that first batch of acceptances.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awpa
Is there any idea what the awpa list size was last year? I cant tell where I read it from, but I remember reading that ~200 people are usually awpa with ~140 offered an acceptance for the 72 spots. Does this sound right?
I'm not sure what the total size of the AWPA list is but I know 85-90% of the AWPA list eventually gets accepted. Also last year no one was taken off the wait list.Is there any idea what the awpa list size was last year? I cant tell where I read it from, but I remember reading that ~200 people are usually awpa with ~140 offered an acceptance for the 72 spots. Does this sound right?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.