2012-2013 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that there are a lot more applicants this year. I wonder If this will raise the number of awpas. Also, since I have an awpa, does that mean I'm already ranked? As new people get awpa, will they be placed above or below me? Or is our rank determined later on when the last awpa is sent out?

Members don't see this ad.

Woot! AWPA letter today! 3.76/IS (southern Illinois, too.)/29R. During my interview, I'd say it all went splendidly. I had questions, some of whichthey had to think about/follow up on, and I answered their questions honestly. If I can answer anything else regarding that aspect just let me know please. :)

I heard that there are a lot more applicants this year. I wonder If this will raise the number of awpas. Also, since I have an awpa, does that mean I'm already ranked? As new people get awpa, will they be placed above or below me? Or is our rank determined later on when the last awpa is sent out?

From what I heard, yes, we are now on a ranked list. As more people are interviewed, they, too will be ranked. Given that, there is a chance that they will rank higher than you. But, don't sell yourself short. :)

Last edited:
Everyone is ranked. The ranking changes at every meeting of the adcom as new AWPA's go out. So a person who interviews in January and AWPA's can get accepted before someone who AWPA'd back in September. (If they ranked higher at the adcom meeting.)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woot! AWPA letter today! 3.76/IS (southern Illinois, too.)/29R. During my interview, I'd say it all went splendidly. I had questions, some of which they had to think about/follow up on, and I answered their questions honestly. If I can answer anything else regarding that aspect just let me know please. :)

Multiple posters claim the interview is "relaxed"... were there any "tough" questions in your opinion?

Woot! AWPA letter today! 3.76/IS (southern Illinois, too.)/29R. During my interview, I'd say it all went splendidly. I had questions, some of which they had to think about/follow up on, and I answered their questions honestly. If I can answer anything else regarding that aspect just let me know please. :)

Multiple posters claim the interview is "relaxed"... were there any "tough" questions in your opinion?

My second interview with a PhD faculty member had more traditional interview questions full of ethical dilemmas, problems with healthcare, and lessons learned from my ECs. Overall still relaxes though. And Congrats on the AWPA!

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

Does anyone know when they plan to send the first round of acceptances? I know last year it wasn't until early December, but I'm kind of hoping it will be sooner this year...

Timing will be more or less the same.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app. Blame Siri if the spelling or grammar are bad.

Timing will be more or less the same.

According to the discussion held on interview day, they will have the first set of admissions out no later than December 1st, but preferably the week before.

On my interview day, I was told that the committee would be meeting again on 11/27 and that the first round of acceptances would go out shortly thereafter.

On my interview day, I was told that the committee would be meeting again on 11/27 and that the first round of acceptances would go out shortly thereafter.

Yup. Last tuesday o' the month. It takes a few days for them to do the paperwork. If you're lucky, Beth may email you with your acceptance letter by friday. Good luck all. Come visit us in C-dale if you get in. We'll show you the ropes.

This is the typical timeline.

You usually get an emailed copy of your letter before the physical copy comes in the mail.

good luck all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the awpa list but will have to commit a $1000 deposit for another school (dec 15 deadline) if I don't get accepted this first round. There is no other school I'd rather be in than SIU, I really hope that I recieve some good news soon.

Does anyone know when they plan to send the first round of acceptances? I know last year it wasn't until early December, but I'm kind of hoping it will be sooner this year...

Can someone post a link to the status page, if there is one...thanks.

Acceptances come out "sometime next week". So no need for checking email neurotically throughout the day.

Yeah I don't believe there is any status page. Word around the campfire was adcom met Tuesday.

Woohoo.. Got my acceptance in the email today! Congrats to others on your acceptance.

Acceptances come out "sometime next week". So no need for checking email neurotically throughout the day.

Just got my acceptance via email! Hip hip for neurotically checking my
Email today. Congrats to the others who received acceptances

Congrats to everyone with acceptances today!

Congrats all! Here's hoping there are still more acceptance emails going out today…If not, ah well, there's always February.

Late reaction here, but where did you get this information?
I don't remember her name but the woman who talked about the school and gave the "why SIU" spiel at the very beginning of the interview day told us that.

Caesar, could you go through what school has been like on a daily basis each year you've been attending SIU? I know the PBL leads to more self directed study, but I am still not clear how year 1-4 are and whether or not its a 9-5 sort of "school day". At most schools, year 1-2 are pretty similar, so how does the move to Springfield change things up from C-Dale?

:( Didn't get an acceptance in this batch, is there anything I can do besides waiting? Is it a kiss of death if people who receive AWPA don't get in the first batch?

:( Didn't get an acceptance in this batch, is there anything I can do besides waiting? Is it a kiss of death if people who receive AWPA don't get in the first batch?

I'm probably not going to do anything until I confirm what courses I'm taking next semester, I confirm what my research project is going to be, and I receive my grades for this semester, honestly. I figure those are legitimate updates to send them to add to my file. Other than that, hope that you're in the 85-90% to get accepted, I guess?

Congrats to everyone with acceptances! I've got a few questions I was hoping a current student could answer.

1) When does the second batch of acceptances get sent out? I remember it being February but is there a specific day/week to be on the lookout?

2) If we were to get accepted in the second or third batch, how difficult is it to lock down some kind of decent housing for first year? Is it pretty much gone by this time of year anyway due to the undergrads?

3) From my understanding, they sent out ~25 acceptances to fill 1/3 of the seats this first batch. Then they will send out another of roughly the same amount the second batch and third batch. Let's say for example you were one spot away from the cutoff for the first batch, and one person withdrew their spot. Does that mean that SIU will send out one acceptance individually to the next guy in the AWPA line, do you just have to wait for the batch?

4) Since we're up against newer interviewees who are more fresh in the minds of the adcom, are we who weren't accepted initially actually at a slight disadvantage? What's to prevent us from being on a treadmill, where newer interviewees interview later than we did, get ranked higher due to familiarity, and then get accepted before we do?

I know the questions are kinda long, but I truly appreciate any help a current student could provide! This school was my top choice but I have an acceptance from another school, so I don't really know what course of action to take since I want to make plans now.

No No I know people who got AWPA and got in in the last batch even even some who got in last year when they were admitting people one by one towards the end. If you got AWPA just give it time.

I'm probably not going to do anything until I confirm what courses I'm taking next semester, I confirm what my research project is going to be, and I receive my grades for this semester, honestly. I figure those are legitimate updates to send them to add to my file. Other than that, hope that you're in the 85-90% to get accepted, I guess?

Once you have AWPA there is really nothing you can do to change your place in the queue. Not it isn't a kiss of death. They only gave out ~25 spots in the first batch, those seats are filled on a continuous basis. In Feb or whenever the next batch is it will be 50 spots they keep filled at a time.

Congrats to everyone with acceptances! I've got a few questions I was hoping a current student could answer.

1) When does the second batch of acceptances get sent out? I remember it being February but is there a specific day/week to be on the lookout?

2) If we were to get accepted in the second or third batch, how difficult is it to lock down some kind of decent housing for first year? Is it pretty much gone by this time of year anyway due to the undergrads?

3) From my understanding, they sent out ~25 acceptances to fill 1/3 of the seats this first batch. Then they will send out another of roughly the same amount the second batch and third batch. Let's say for example you were one spot away from the cutoff for the first batch, and one person withdrew their spot. Does that mean that SIU will send out one acceptance individually to the next guy in the AWPA line, do you just have to wait for the batch?

4) Since we're up against newer interviewees who are more fresh in the minds of the adcom, are we who weren't accepted initially actually at a slight disadvantage? What's to prevent us from being on a treadmill, where newer interviewees interview later than we did, get ranked higher due to familiarity, and then get accepted before we do?

I know the questions are kinda long, but I truly appreciate any help a current student could provide! This school was my top choice but I have an acceptance from another school, so I don't really know what course of action to take since I want to make plans now.

1. no idea on the date, I won't know until that month sometime probably.
2. People get in a week before starting and find housing. It's not ideal, but it is also not difficult.
3. Yes. immediately.
4. once ranked you are ranked your score or whatever they use doesn't change and you were given a score when you were fresh in their minds so there is no benefit or detriment to where you interview.

Caesar, could you go through what school has been like on a daily basis each year you've been attending SIU? I know the PBL leads to more self directed study, but I am still not clear how year 1-4 are and whether or not its a 9-5 sort of "school day". At most schools, year 1-2 are pretty similar, so how does the move to Springfield change things up from C-Dale?

this varies person by person, my life:
Y1- mostly 8-4 or 5 M-F. 2-3 weeks before an exam it would be more like 7 or 8 to 9 or 10, and then 8-5 on weekends. Weekend before exams was like a weekday (7-10). We all had social lives.
Y2 - mostly the same. the difference for me was more independence with my schedule. Some days I would be done with things at noon and just take the rest of the day off. As you get to boards time (feb, march, april) you gradually study more. I played Call of Duty most night up until a week before step 1 (so I still has some flex time).
Y3 - depends on the service and the week. Some medicine days I was 8-3. Some surgery days 5-10p (few, thank God). Only in the hospital one sunday in all of third year so far.
Y4 - 4th years do nothing but interview and make their own schedules it seems.

This is late, but I got an acceptance on Friday as well! I interviewed on 10/29 and ended up hearing about the acceptance before the AWPA list.

Sorry to beat this to death, but just to clarify, are you saying that if people from the first batch reject their acceptances, there could be new acceptances offered in December and January still before the second batch is released?

Sorry to beat this to death, but just to clarify, are you saying that if people from the first batch reject their acceptances, there could be new acceptances offered in December and January still before the second batch is released?

If someone declines their acceptance, the next person at the top of the AWPA ranking gets their acceptance. It can happen between batches. (It did for me, I got accepted in between the 2nd and third batches after I interviewed in February.). That said, it doesn't happen a lot between batch one and two because the multiple acceptance deadline is later.

Congrats to all who were accepted thus far. Hopefully you decide to matriculate with SIU. If you'd like to come visit us in C-Dale, send me a PM and we'll make it happen.

I sent out an email this weekend to Beth in regards to how I should deliver my three anticipated updates to my application, and she sent me the following message:

"I am happy to put your updates in your file, however, it will not change where you are on the AWPA list. Once you are on the AWPA list the committee does not meet on your file again. Hope that helps!"

So, for those of you who are waiting at this point on the AWPA list, any additional changes aren't necessary/won't change your chances anyway. I just figured I'd share this with everyone.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering how to go about doing that as well.

Can any current students give us an idea of what a daily schedule might be like? I know PBL is a big part of the curriculum but I was wondering how they balanced that with lectures. (Also, are the lectures recorded?)

Can any current students give us an idea of what a daily schedule might be like? I know PBL is a big part of the curriculum but I was wondering how they balanced that with lectures. (Also, are the lectures recorded?)

Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8-11 is PBL time where we meet with our tutor groups and discuss cases. Tuesdays are typically clinical days where we practice clinical skills on sta nderdized patients and go see our mentors at their office or the hospital. Wednesdays and Fridays are Histo and gross anatomy labs. Lectures are interspersed throughout, though usually not on Tuesdays. Yes, the lectures are recorded.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8-11 is PBL time where we meet with our tutor groups and discuss cases. Tuesdays are typically clinical days where we practice clinical skills on sta nderdized patients and go see our mentors at their office or the hospital. Wednesdays and Fridays are Histo and gross anatomy labs. Lectures are interspersed throughout, though usually not on Tuesdays. Yes, the lectures are recorded.

Thank you for the breakdown! I like the idea of not being in lecture all day every day.

And then second year, you don't ever have to go to lectures, there are no labs, and tutor group is 2 hours twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.