2012-2013 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question regarding publications. I know they specify only papers, but what about textbook chapters? If you were a co-author on an accepted textbook chapter, do you think that would be acceptable to include as well? Thanks.
I included a textbook chapter.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I know for a fact that OOS kids have gotten II

Stanford is private anyways. They don't discriminate between IS and OOS. According to US News & World Report, approximately 7.5% of applicants from each pool are invited to interview.

Stanford is private anyways. They don't discriminate between IS and OOS. According to US News & World Report, approximately 7.5% of applicants from each pool are invited to interview.

This is true for interviews I believe. But half of their matriculants are IS and half are OOS even though there are significantly more OOS applicants

I bet that's because Californians are more likely to go than non-Californians, not because they are more likely to be accepted.

I just checked: proportion of applicants accepted is essentially independent of California residency according to US News & World Report. In fact, in 2011 slightly more OOS than IS students were ultimately accepted after interviewing (42% OOS, 40% IS).

Anyone else have the problem of LoR's not posting properly?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten 2 reminder emails to submit my secondary (I received my secondary on the day it came out). I'm sure these are just automated, but will it look bad if i still submit/do they really care if it takes me a few weeks to submit it?

10/3, That was the only day I saw!

wow congrats you two! :) so exciting. when were you both complete?

Thanks!! Ooooooh I'm close to that date :D Here's hoping stanford goes chronologically!

They are in his/her mdapps profile.

Over/under on Tot's interview invites this year is 16.5. I am going over. Place your bets.

Haha, definitely over, unless he just decides to withdraw from them all after he hits a certain number ;)

This is called "point shaving" and is highly illegal. He will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of SDN participants.

How long did it take all of you to become complete here? I submitted my secondary on the 21st, and it says my letters were transmitted 7/1, but I'm still incomplete...

Edit: Woops, didn't see the previous posts addressing this. Sorry, looks like I'll just give 'em a ring.

Last edited:
How long did it take all of you to become complete here? I submitted my secondary on the 21st, and it says my letters were transmitted 7/1, but I'm still incomplete...

A pretty long time for me. FWIW: submitted 7/14 with all letters "transmitted" but wasn't complete until 7/28.

Over/under on Tot's interview invites this year is 16.5. I am going over. Place your bets.

Haha, definitely over, unless he just decides to withdraw from them all after he hits a certain number ;)

This is funny because when I took my MCAT my friends all placed bets on my score for free meals...I ended up having to buy about 16 people dinner :(

This is called "point shaving" and is highly illegal. He will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of SDN participants.

Don't worry, we'll make sure he stays in line :thumbup:

Too late, I may have already withdrew from schools pre-secondary(not indicated on MDapps). Does this mean I go to SDN jail now? :(

Too late, I may have already withdrew from schools pre-secondary(not indicated on MDapps). Does this mean I go to SDN jail now? :(

Nah, I was basing the over/under on value on your completed applications. You're good.

This is funny because when I took my MCAT my friends all placed bets on my score for free meals...I ended up having to buy about 16 people dinner :(

Haha, this totally sounds like a situation I would get myself into. Love to hedge my bets.

]Too late, I may have already withdrew from schools pre-secondary(not indicated on MDapps). Does this mean I go to SDN jail now? :(

Nah, I was basing the over/under on value on your completed applications. You're good.

Sorry, I have to disagree. OFF TO SDN JAIL!

P.S. The first time I looked at your profile I had a hearty laugh when I saw the number of schools you applied to :p

Sorry, I have to disagree. OFF TO SDN JAIL!

P.S. The first time I looked at your profile I had a hearty laugh when I saw the number of schools you applied to :p

I am a little afraid to find out what SDN jail is...:help:

Yeah applying to that many schools may not have been my smartest idea but there were a lot of factors that went into that decision. In addition, I was lucky enough to receive a scholarship/award upon graduation from my undergrad that put a nice dent in the costs (why they gave me money when I graduated and not when I was still in school is beyond me). Maybe I will detail my reasons on my MDApps....:laugh:

Interview invite this morning! complete 8/6

Woke up to an interview invitation. Couldn't be more excited, definitely one of my top choices :)

Woke up to an interview invitation. Couldn't be more excited, definitely one of my top choices :)

When were you complete?

I was complete 8/6 as well...keeping my fingers crossed for the next few days. Has anyone been sent post-secondary rejections yet?

Dear Tater and KDizzle,
You are the two best applicants I've seen for this cycle. You are also both too damn nice. Please go to Stanford or UCSF, since I didn't apply there. Withdraw your apps from everyone else as soon possible. Thank you for your consideration.
With kind regards,
EatTheChildren

No! Please go to University of Chicago since I already got rejected from there :p

My letters are marked complete, fee and secondary marked received, but at the bottom it says "File Complete: No"?

Someone has to verify everything in your file before it is marked complete.

When were you complete?

I was complete 8/6 as well...keeping my fingers crossed for the next few days. Has anyone been sent post-secondary rejections yet?

I was marked complete 7/28. It appears that they are indeed going in order of completion date as far as reviewing for interviews, so perhaps you'll be in the next group!

Does Stanford do silent rejections? I was complete 7/28 and I haven't heard a peep.

Does Stanford do silent rejections? I was complete 7/28 and I haven't heard a peep.

i think they send rejections via snail mail later in the cycle. i feel the pain bro..complete 7/12

Sigh. I never had high hopes, but I refuse to let them die before I see the letter in my hands. At which point I will tear it into little pieces and light it on fire.

Snail mail. As if compulsively checking my email wasn't enough.

I interviewed here even though I submitted my secondary on the deadline (November 15th). I don't recommend doing that, though.

did you get waitlisted? stanford is my top choice, but have mild anxiety because my committee letter isn't going out until the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.