2012-2013 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the bay and haven't received one yet. I was in an internship with Stanford so that may help my chances, but my gpa, mcat are low.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you that have received rejections, when were you complete?

I'm going to start aggressively checking my snail mail. :(

Just got the rejection snail mail :( Complete 7/10

Members don't see this ad :)
Snail mail rejection for me too. Complete late July. Oh well...

Rejected, snail mail.

Booo Stanfurd!! Golden bears forevaa!!!!!!! ;)

Standford's going to have a hard time getting matriculants, seeing as they only are rejecting! Where dem IIs at?!

Maybe my rejection letter got lost in the mail...

Rejected in snail mail =(. Completed 8/11. IS, 3.5/35 MCAT. Best of luck to y'all!

Hey, Does anybody know how many interviews, acceptances and waitlists Stanford offers?

Thanks!

This is just breakin' ma heart. Stanford, why you gotta be so stingy with your interviews? :(

I've been checking my mailbox (from WA state) every single day, and my heart goes thumpy thump thump everytime o-O...But no rejection letter yet--maybe it hasn't reached WA yet...or maybe it's a good sign.

From Wiki: "In 2008, 6,567 people applied and 463 were interviewed for 86 spots. Matriculates had an average GPA of 3.76 and median MCAT score of 35."

But from a pattern that I've noticed, it seems that Stanford definitely values diversity (they have quite a few international students in each class) and other experiences; not just a numbers-focused school. I guess Dean Garcia is looking for something special in an applicant that just "fits" with Stanford.

Although honestly speaking, when I hear Stanford School of Medicine, the first words that come up are: "research", "new building", "sunshine", "that red mango..." LOL

But the best of luck to all of us applicants!! If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be, and life always moves on!!!!~ and for the better!

Rejected. OOS. Complete 7/28. Stats available via MDApps. Crappy way to end a week of interviews. Now I'm second-guessing myself :scared:.

Rejected. OOS. Complete 7/28. Stats available via MDApps. Crappy way to end a week of interviews. Now I'm second-guessing myself :scared:.

sorry about that dude, did you get it in the form of snail mail or email?

looking at your mdapps, i don't see how anywhere is rejecting you. sheesh

Members don't see this ad :)

7 interviews, most of which are at top 20/top 10 schools, and you're doubting yourself. :rolleyes:

7 interviews, most of which are at top 20/top 10 schools, and you're doubting yourself. :rolleyes:

Rejected via snail mail too. Been in NY all week for interviews so I don't know when this rejection letter came in the mail.

BOO. Oh well. I guess im staying loyal to my Cal Bears

sorry about that dude, did you get it in the form of snail mail or email?

Snail mail. I was actually at the airport coming back from the east coast and my wife texted me that I had gotten a letter from Stanford. At which point I stopped being hungry :laugh:. I told her I knew it was a rejection, but that she could open it anyway, and lo and behold! I was right. It was a fairly nice letter, as these types of letters go, but it was dated August 22. August 22? Come on! That was five weeks ago. But now it's in the trash, so I can't answer any more questions about it :).

looking at your mdapps, i don't see how anywhere is rejecting you. sheesh

I believe three components contributed to my rejection. First, to Californians, being from Alaska is not very novel or interesting. In the midwest and on the east coast, on the other hand, basically all I talk about with people who have just met me is Alaska, and people have all sorts of nonsense ideas about Alaskan life involving dogsleds and igloos, and have a tendency to accidentally use offensive nicknames (a euphemism for racial slurs, I suppose) for Alaska Natives. Second, it has been my experience in general that the further east you go in the United States, the more folks are sympathetic to your involvement in classical music, and given my degree in music and heavy involvement throughout my life to the exclusion of many other activities, I wouldn't be surprised if this actually counted against me at Stanford. Third, I think I shot myself in the foot with my secondary essays. I painted a somewhat disjointed picture of myself in retrospect, as my two stated interests (private practice and bioinformatics) are not obviously compatible. I put "private practice" as my "most likely career direction" because as of now I plan to work in Alaska, and that is (for the most part) all that folks do up here, but I also have a strong interest in academic medicine and in retrospect I believe that I should have written about that.

I think my level of confidence was artificially high after receiving so many invitations to interview in such a short time. Now it's probably artificially low after meeting my competition at HMS and Penn and being rejected from Stanford. I know that at these schools the "fit" matters more than anything else at a certain point, and I shouldn't give myself a hard time, but hey! Nobody's perfect.

Good luck to everybody else! Palo Alto is freakishly beautiful; may you all get the chance to live and work there some day.

Rejected via snail mail today. Feels bad man. More rejections than invites so far. Really undermining my confidence.

Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who did receive an II.

Rejected via snail mail today. Feels bad man. More rejections than invites so far. Really undermining my confidence.

Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who did receive an II.

Rejected also. I knew it was coming.

Sorry to hear this guys. :( Would you mind sharing when you were complete?

Boy, I'm not looking forward to checking my mail when I reach home in a few hours. D: It's going to be an anxious drive home...

thought I might add myself to the post-sec reject club, haha. Complete sec 8/06, saw the letter today. mdapplicants profile has stats. good luck everyone else!

Got the rejection letter 30 mins after an II from another school. Emotions are all over the place. Even with many other IIs, this still stings a little as it is my first rejection. Was complete here mid-July. Major reach though and definitely not enough research work so can't say I am surprised. You would have loved me Stanford! So long...:oops:

Got an interview from another school... only to check the mail today and get a rejection. First rejection of the season (completed July 26th). Good luck to everyone else applying.

Funny thing is I have no idea what I wrote in the secondary. I will have to review it at a later point.

Living on the east coast and waiting for mail to come in from California sucks...You know its coming but just don't know when. :(

Wow, lots of rejections lately. Still wondering why they do snail-mail...less efficient and more expensive for them it seems

Like another applicant wrote on last year's application thread:

"Is Stanford interviewing ANYONE this year?!!!"

At this rate, they not gonna have no class!

But seriously, has anyone received any II in the past few weeks?

According to last year's thread, I think the second round of II came out the very end of September; maybe they'll release them in early October?

I haven't received a rejection yet (complete mid-July), but according to last year's thread, some people were complete in August and received II in December/January!!

Stanford faculty reviewers. Hurry up!. :mad:

Also, after some research (Boolean operator skills baby!), the following is a link to the electronic system Stanford uses to evaluate applicants, with pictures!

The idea is that after a pre-screen, faculty and student reviewers give you a rating. But qualifications and ratings are not enough to merit an interview, because Dean Garcia can give you the chopping in the Dean's Review... =(

http://med.stanford.edu/irt/web_applications/mesa.html

It's a power play. Stanford is rejecting a bunch of initial 35+ applicants to show the other top tiers who's boss. :scared:

It's a power play. Stanford is rejecting a bunch of initial 35+ applicants to show the other top tiers who's boss. :scared:

I know, that's what it seems like! It's really interesting that Stanford rejects a TON of applicants with amazing scores and GPAs, applicants who have II from JH, HMS, Yale, Penn, Columbia etc.

Although, the one thing that is common to literally all accepted Stanford students: they have to express some form of interest in research. hehe

I have a theory that the more medical students that do research --> more publications --> more grant funding --> higher US News ranking. LOL. #medstudentresearcherslaves

Also, after some research (Boolean operator skills baby!), the following is a link to the electronic system Stanford uses to evaluate applicants, with pictures!

The idea is that after a pre-screen, faculty and student reviewers give you a rating. But qualifications and ratings are not enough to merit an interview, because Dean Garcia can give you the chopping in the Dean's Review... =(

This is great! Thanks for posting - crazy to think about how many applications they have to process!:eek:

:thumbup:
Interesting perspective from inside the black box. Thanks.

Like another applicant wrote on last year's application thread:

"Is Stanford interviewing ANYONE this year?!!!"

At this rate, they not gonna have no class!

But seriously, has anyone received any II in the past few weeks?

According to last year's thread, I think the second round of II came out the very end of September; maybe they'll release them in early October?

I haven't received a rejection yet (complete mid-July), but according to last year's thread, some people were complete in August and received II in December/January!!

Stanford faculty reviewers. Hurry up!. :mad:

Interviews are usually overreported by SDN users at the beginning of the cycle, so the fact that nobody has been posting here with invites lately certainly doesn't mean that Stanford hasn't been sending them out. People were having similar reactions in the UMich thread, but there was silence even when UMich reported having sent out a huge batch of interview invitations. Don't be fooled into thinking SDN is representative of all pre-meds :)

II this morning! Thank you God!

So incredibly grateful, excited, and shocked!

are rejection letters being sent to permanent addresses or campus addresses? i don't want my mail going to my parent's house...

are rejection letters being sent to permanent addresses or campus addresses? i don't want my mail going to my parent's house...
They send it to whatever address you give them... so its up to you.

rejection. parents got the letter and opened it up. it was a long shot for me anyways. Though I would have loved to make an excuse to fly out to cali for a day or two.

II received on 10/1, will be going on 10/31! so incredibly shocked- thought that my shots here were minimal but soo thankful for the chance to see stanford!

flying from the east coast... any current students have advice on which airport's the best and/or cheapest to fly into?

3.6/36, complete on 8/17

good luck to the rest of y'all!

II received on 10/1, will be going on 10/31! so incredibly shocked- thought that my shots here were minimal but soo thankful for the chance to see stanford!

flying from the east coast... any current students have advice on which airport's the best and/or cheapest to fly into?

3.6/36, complete on 8/17

good luck to the rest of y'all!

BIG congrats!!

OAK can be cheaper, but SFO is more convenient. There are some new direct East Coast to SFO flights so look into that! Sometimes Virgin has great sales. You can take the BART to the CalTrain that then takes you to Palo Alto. OAK would add an additional 1 hr or so to your BART ride.

BIG congrats!!

OAK can be cheaper, but SFO is more convenient. There are some new direct East Coast to SFO flights so look into that! Sometimes Virgin has great sales. You can take the BART to the CalTrain that then takes you to Palo Alto. OAK would add an additional 1 hr or so to your BART ride.

In my experience, you can sometimes get really cheap flights into the San Jose airport, and the Caltrain does run all the way to San Jose.

In my experience, you can sometimes get really cheap flights into the San Jose airport, and the Caltrain does run all the way to San Jose.

THIS. use kayak or hipmunk and make sure to search all bay area airports. the airfare can vary depending on which one you fly into.

SFO is on the peninsula side where Palo Alto is so its a straight shot from the airport to the school. You can just take Caltrain down from SFO

OAK is on the east bay, which will involve crossing the bridge to get to the side of the bay that Palo Alto is on so it can be tricky. You'll have to Bart across the bay, through SF, then transfer to the Caltrain

SJC is farther south so you don't run into the peninsula vs. east bay problem. From here, Caltrain is a straight shot as well.

BIG CONGRATS on your interview! Stanford said no thanks to me so I'm down to one last norther california school haha :) Go kill it!

Just got an email from Stanford!!!

...informing me about a diversity conference. Not cool.

Yeah, I'm on a bunch of their email lists and today received emails from both the Stanford Wine Program (wtf?) and the Stanford Hospital and Clinics. It's been a freaking emotional roller coaster every time I glance at my email and see their name. sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.