2012-2013 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dr. Cunningham,

I have a question regarding reapplication. I believe the weakest part of my application was my MCAT score, which I have scheduled to retake in July. My application is otherwise ready to submit, and I have completed the part of the primary application indicating that the MCAT will be retaken on that date. Is it better to submit my application as early as possible, or should I wait until the score comes back? Will UA Phx Med wait for the new score before making any negative decision on my application?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

We will wait to review your file for an interview until the new score arrives - I would suggest you apply early if you are ready. Absolutely no harm!

Dear Dr. Cunningham,

Thank you again for keeping open communications with those of us still waiting! I realize your previous post included a timeline of approximately 1-2 weeks for (if) any notifications, but I was wondering if there has been any movement from the wait list? When do you project will be the last update (mid to late June, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Although a few students were offered elsewhere, each chose to stay with our program so we still have a full class.

Next update will be on June 1.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

Would a course called Survey of Organic and Biochemistry (CHEM 130) fulfill the biochemistry pre-req?

Here's its description:

5 hours. Chemistry of classes of carbon compounds relevant to life sciences, and an introduction to the structure and metabolism of proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and carbohydrates. With Lab course.

Thank you so much! :)

Would a course called Survey of Organic and Biochemistry (CHEM 130) fulfill the biochemistry pre-req?

Yes, this course would satisfy the requirement. Do your best and work very hard to retain the Biochem content!

Tara, I just wanted to tell you that you are truly awesome. Incredible. Amazing. We love you!

An Alternate List Update will occur on Monday. We are seeing quite a bit of additional offer activity that could lead to change on our roster.

An Alternate List Update will occur on Monday. We are seeing quite a bit of additional offer activity that could lead to change on our roster.

This is really exciting! Regardless of what happens with my own status, congrats to anyone who might be accepted!

Ok. So now I'm as nervous as I was for my first application review. I hope.:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing here...Perhaps this means they are considering which applicants to accept from the wait list ;)

Or they all decided to skip town since it's forecasted to be 110+ degrees in Phoenix this week.

Although I like Slothster's recommendation, we are busy at work and waiting for a decision to be made by the students who have been offered a position elsewhere. A candidate will be notified later this week - not tomorrow and by Fri - if a seat(s) becomes available.

I feel like I'm checking my email every 30 seconds. The suspense is killing me!

I feel like I'm checking my email every 30 seconds. The suspense is killing me!

I can sympathize. I'm curious about how many of us remain in the hold pool. There must be a good number that took acceptances elsewhere. Probably best not to think about it.

Did anyone get an email or any news? Good luck to all of you!

Nope. It sounds as though we are all awaiting a few students to make some final decisions before UA Phoenix can make their decision. Hopefully we'll all know soon enough.

After possible movement of several, we had just one vacancy to fill and have extended the offer. There is not update beyond this at the moment.

After possible movement of several, we had just one vacancy to fill and have extended the offer. There is not update beyond this at the moment.

Hi Tara,

Thanks for the update! Are there any other pending decisions besides the one from the recent offer?

Hi Tara,

Thanks for all of the updates...very much appreciated.
Have all of the spots been officially filled?

We had another offer come in today that created a vacancy, which was filled immediately.

Dr. Cunningham-

Do you know what the average MCAT score and GPA is for the incoming class (class of 2017)?

We had another offer come in today that created a vacancy, which was filled immediately.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

When do you project will be the very last update from U of AZ for those on the waitlist? I understand offers may come in for the accepted students at any time, but can we expect notification until July?

As always, thank you for the open communication!

Always hover around 31 and 3.7. The range is 24-43 and 3.0-4.0.

wow 24? i had a mid 20s score and gave up mid cycle. I didn't even bother filling out a secondary. i am regretting that now

was there something exceptional about the 24 outside of GPA/mcat

Hi Tara,

When I interviewed you told us that if we received no offers and were rejected that you would give us some advice about weaknesses in our application. Although I am waitlisted and not yet rejected I was wondering if there was a way to get this advice early since I am preparing to submit my primary application for the new season. Thanks!

wow 24? i had a mid 20s score and gave up mid cycle. I didn't even bother filling out a secondary. i am regretting that now

was there something exceptional about the 24 outside of GPA/mcat

MCAT is a data point of 1/3 of the review criteria considered important in the process. Motivation to pursue medicine is critical, so keep it up and let us rule you out - don't assume anything.

2013 Applicants - thank you for a great year. The thread officially ends tomorrow, as the class of 2017 arrives to start medical school at UA Phoenix Med. To those also starting school elsewhere, take advantage of every opportunity and remember how hard you worked, never forgetting how much you still have to learn. For others, I know the year did not end as you hoped, but persistence and resilience will pay off as long as you take advantage of what you learned this season. I look forward to seeing many of you again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.