2022-2023 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone post interview who didn’t get an A is on the waitlist. And they take about 5-10 off the waitlist. So the waitlist is 350+ applicants!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone post interview who didn’t get an A is on the waitlist. And they take about 5-10 off the waitlist. So the waitlist is 350+ applicants!!
I think some still got post-ii Rs so not necessarily! But yeah, likely still a large number

unless it changed from last year, it was 1/3 A 1/3 WL 1/3 R for post-interview decisions

Reactions: 1 users
Got the A call on 3/24!! IS, interviewed 2/20.

Super excited this is my top choice!! Is there an accepted discord or anything??

Reactions: 2 users
I think what they mean to say is that 0-10 spots open up. In reality, that means that multiple people can get off the waitlist for a singular spot. Dr. Fogerty explained this better than I can on my interview day, but I’d anticipate more than 10 people get admitted off the waitlist.
So this is how it will work. As of today (April 18, 2023), there are 167 Direct offers for 120 seats. Not all 167 will accept, last year the first wave acceptance rate was about 60%. Hnece assume that at the moment, out of 120 seats, about 90 are filled (give or take). Assuming 95 filled (i.e. committed acceptances), that leaves 25 unfilled seats. The acceptance wave late in the cycle is higher than 60%, because these are the students who are waitlisted at many places. They will accept the first offer (and in most cases the only offer) from UofA-Phoneix. So from here on, there will be 35-40 getting off the waitlist. A friend got call last year AFTER the new application cycle had started (i.e. after Memorial day).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So this is how it will work. As of today (April 18, 2023), there are 167 Direct offers for 120 seats. Not all 167 will accept, last year the first wave acceptance rate was about 60%. Hnece assume that at the moment, out of 120 seats, about 90 are filled (give or take). Assuming 95 filled (i.e. committed acceptances), that leaves 25 unfilled seats. The acceptance wave late in the cycle is higher than 60%, because these are the students who are waitlisted at many places. They will accept the first offer (and in most cases the only offer) from UofA-Phoneix. So from here on, there will be 35-40 getting off the waitlist. A friend got call last year AFTER the new application cycle had started (i.e. after Memorial day).

Where did you get that 60% statistic for first wave acceptance rate? It would be closer to 70% if we are to believe the “historically, alternate movement had been zero to 10 seats”

Where did you get that 60% statistic for first wave acceptance rate? It would be closer to 70% if we are to believe the “historically, alternate movement had been zero to 10 seats”
In my estimation, it is close to 55% at best - from having tracked this college closely during last cycle 70%? Even UofMich does not have that rate for first round acceptance, which I know for fact. Look, I do not want to convey any positvity or negativty. At this stage, if one is sitting without an acceptance - as my dear friend was last year; it is human nature to start (or continue) to calculate the odds. The odds of getting accepted in medical school are low to begin with and the odds are getting slimmer from here on, that is a fact.

Reactions: 1 user
I know someone who was admitted only 3 days before classes (July 2021!) and the student was located across the country. Housing was a huge stress on top of just getting to school before day 1. But really who cares? It’s no one’s problem but your own. The upside: no re-app/forced gap yr.

I know someone who was admitted only 3 days before classes (July 2021!) and the student was located across the country. Housing was a huge stress on top of just getting to school before day 1. But really who cares? It’s no one’s problem but your own. The upside: no re-app/forced gap yr.
Copy that, I also know an individual who got call AFTER the current 2023 cycle had opened. This individual was giving final touches to personal statement for re-app, when on a late Friday evening, lo and behold, it was Dr Fogerty. There were regular updates from Dr. Fogerty throughout May, mentioning that the applicant should pick up the call from a Phoenix area code mobile number. If anyone got such email this year, then there is a possibility of miracle happening to them, not all waitlisted students got such "make sure you answer a call from Phoenix area code" email. This individual attrubutes the admission to a hail mary update in late March.

Copy that, I also know an individual who got call AFTER the current 2023 cycle had opened. This individual was giving final touches to personal statement for re-app, when on a late Friday evening, lo and behold, it was Dr Fogerty. There were regular updates from Dr. Fogerty throughout May, mentioning that the applicant should pick up the call from a Phoenix area code mobile number. If anyone got such email this year, then there is a possibility of miracle happening to them, not all waitlisted students got such "make sure you answer a call from Phoenix area code" email. This individual attrubutes the admission to a hail mary update in late March.

You are saying Fogerty is cold emailing applicants telling them to “pick up the phone if it rings :)” ?

You are saying Fogerty is cold emailing applicants telling them to “pick up the phone if it rings :)” ?
Exactamundo. It is called "update email". See for yourelf smarty pants.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.08.53 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.08.53 AM.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 240
I wish I can say the following to every single of you who are waitlisted somewhere. Yes, this whole process is shrouded in mystery, which leads to 9 months+ of anxiety, frequent page refresh on this site - I know it all. But I will say something else - the process is designed to be this way, on purpose. They expect MDs to be able to manage their anxities throughout the career. MDs are thrown into fire everyday and everyone expects MDs to have answers. MDs must learn to manage their anxieties, starting with application cycle. So think of this as your first step to becoming MD. Reading tea leaves in this forum is ok, having anxiety is ok, playing a what-if-then game is ok, thinking "how the heck did that kid get into Columbia-UCHicago-MtSinai" is ok; but that anxiety should not blind a waitlisted applicant from thinking beyond the cycle, aspecially at this time of the cycle. Always be forward looking, hope for best; but prepare for the worst outcome. And keep planning. Action overcomes anxiety. Things worth having are worth the anxiety. Also know that 2/3 of you who are matriculated, are going to have a burnout during the long career as a physician. So this anxiety is not going to be the end all, it is just the beginning. That's all.

Reactions: 4 users
Just received a Waitlist Applicants Update email, no mention of "getting a call from Phoenix area code" though.

that e-mail comes in a couple weeks. i received it last year.

I just withdrew my A, hope one of yall can take the spot and run with it :) best of luck to all on the WL!

Reactions: 7 users
Is there an accepted students group chat? I'm also CTE and looking for a roommate to finalize my housing soon. DM me if you're interested.

Is there an accepted students group chat? I'm also CTE and looking for a roommate to finalize my housing soon. DM me if you're interested.
There's a facebook group for accepted students! DM me for the link

admitted off the waitlist, last interview date
reapplicant x5, waitlisted last year at UofA
grad 2017, x6 gap years

bye bye SDN

• Love
Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Every time I'm in downtown Phoenix, and I drive by the campus, the same sound keeps going through my head... "please, please, please, please!"

Just wanted to give some hope and say that I was offered a position off the WL recently and ended up declining my A, so there is definitely still movement!

Just wanted to give some hope and say that I was offered a position off the WL recently and ended up declining my A, so there is definitely still movement!
Appreciate for your message and it is encouraging for wait listers. update it here if any one get off the wait list and that will helpful others who are waiting here in this forum. Thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
Almost three weeks over and looks like not much waitlist moment till now. Probably we can expect more waitlist moment after ‘commit to enroll’ time crosses. What do you think?

Almost three weeks over and looks like not much waitlist moment till now. Probably we can expect more waitlist moment after ‘commit to enroll’ time crosses. What do you think?
I was thinking that this year maybe movement is just gonna be delayed? I called late last week and they said they have a LOT of people who haven’t CTE’d yet.. maybe I’m just being hopeful tho :/