You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Central Florida Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AORTA for me too this morning!
AORTA for me too this morning!
Same!
Congrats! I'm wondering what percentage of "eligible for interview" applicants get interviewed.
Congrats! I'm wondering what percentage of "eligible for interview" applicants get interviewed.
Same status. No idea what it means.
Me too! EFI !
Me too! EFI !
From what this looks like, this means we have passed a preliminary stage correct? As in, we have 3.0+ GPA and 24+ MCAT? Or is there more to this status?
I believe there's more ... It took two weeks and was reviewed by 3 different people.. Seems like a lot if it were something so simple. I got the impression from an email they sent me that they do some screening before secondaries are sent.
I believe there's more ... It took two weeks and was reviewed by 3 different people.. Seems like a lot if it were something so simple. I got the impression from an email they sent me that they do some screening before secondaries are sent.
I looked up last year's thread. It says they had approximately 800-1000 EFIs and they interviewed ~340 of those. And we will be getting a phone call (!!!!!) or an email saying we are not eligible 🙁. Honestly, it would make me by far the HAPPIEST person in the whole wide world to get that phone call. 😀 Good luck to everyone, please keep us all posted on your progress
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else having issues with the secondary link?
I never had any issues with the link but it took a few hours before my login actually worked.
I looked up last year's thread. It says they had approximately 800-1000 EFIs and they interviewed ~340 of those. And we will be getting a phone call (!!!!!) or an email saying we are not eligible 🙁. Honestly, it would make me by far the HAPPIEST person in the whole wide world to get that phone call. 😀 Good luck to everyone, please keep us all posted on your progress
Yea, from my understanding a subcommittee sifts through applications to determine EFI, and then they only interview about 400. This is very general, but it is what I understood from speaking with a member of the committee. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yea, from my understanding a subcommittee sifts through applications to determine EFI, and then they only interview about 400. This is very general, but it is what I understood from speaking with a member of the committee. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You have the most reputable source. Sounds good to me. I am happy to see UCF taking a holistic approach to evaluating students for interview invites!
You have the most reputable source. Sounds good to me. I am happy to see UCF taking a holistic approach to evaluating students for interview invites!
Me too.. My sGPA is just under 3.0... I'm a non trad with a lot of other things going for me including a high mcat but I'm glad they looked at the whole picture and moved me up to EFI ... Now if only I can manage an interview 🙂
I think that they screen out before secondaries, but take an actual look at the people they screen out for exceptions. Very respectable if you ask me!
Last edited:
I suspect phone invitations to begin on Wednesday or Thursday for the early September interview dates.
I suspect phone invitations to begin on Wednesday or Thursday for the early September interview dates.
And the plot thickens...
😀 😀 Good luck to everyone again!
I only wish my pre-health packet could be expedited.I would offer to host people if funds were limited, but I live right behind UCF's main campus and it is a hike to Lake Nona (~30 minutes). If you don't mind a drive though just PM me, and I'm sure I'll be able to help you out.
For those coming from a distance that may desire an overnight, we do have some hotels to recommend just north of the airport. The hotels have shuttle from the airport. The morning of the interview our med students are often able to shuttle you from the airport to the interview, and at the end of the day they usually can also shuttle you back to the airport. Alternatively, there is a student hosting program whereby med students will provide those coming from a distance with an overnight place to flop. Upon invitation to interview, more details will be provided via email.
I anticipate we will interview ~450 this year of a pool that may be about 3,700.
Good luck everyone!
I anticipate we will interview ~450 this year of a pool that may be about 3,700.
Good luck everyone!
Dont know about "best," but one that absolutely believes that applicants should be provided solid and correct information so that they can make an informed decision for their future. Applicants also need to be aware of the AAMC Traffic rules for Applicants AND for Med Schools! Dont take words of admissions officers as gospel truth, especially things like STEP Scores, Board scores, etc. At least in our state I believe these scores to be very similar, and all above the national average, but of course there is NO WAY for any of us to verify this information. And in truth test scores are well down the list of the many things that applicants need to evaluate in order to select the best program for them. These scores are heavily influenced by the self-study of each student and their own personal test-taking ability.
Last edited:
How long did it take (approximately) between the File Complete - Ready for Review status to the next status for others?
Thanks!
Thanks!
REL, based on the question in the supplemental application regarding whether or not your retake of the MCAT has a difference of 4 or more points, I was wondering if I should wait until I receive my score to submit so I can answer this question. I took the MCAT on August 4th so I still have three weeks to go but I was hoping to get my application into the pile to be reviewed sooner than later. I agree with UCFKnight that you are by far the best admissions director I've ever had the pleasure of communicating with, thanks for all your help!
REL, based on the question in the supplemental application regarding whether or not your retake of the MCAT has a difference of 4 or more points, I was wondering if I should wait until I receive my score to submit so I can answer this question. I took the MCAT on August 4th so I still have three weeks to go but I was hoping to get my application into the pile to be reviewed sooner than later. I agree with UCFKnight that you are by far the best admissions director I've ever had the pleasure of communicating with, thanks for all your help![/QUOTE
Go ahead and submit when you are ready. That question is not so important as to transcend your overall application. You can always send an email updating your application later with an answer to that question if it applies, and if you feel that it is important that we know.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
REL, what is UCF's policy on MCAT retakes? Are the scores averaged/most recent looked at/etc?
No averaging, we look at all scores over last 3 years as independent events. Hopefully there will be a positive progression with the most recent exam having the highest total score. We look at all subcomponents for any trends as well.
Just got the call for an II. Complete 7/17, IS.
Last edited:
Regarding the secondary application question: Have you overcome any hardships that were NOT discussed in your AMCAS application? Please provide details regarding hardships
If you had string of very bad luck in college, could it make you sound crazy answering this question truthfully?
If you had string of very bad luck in college, could it make you sound crazy answering this question truthfully?
I actually got the interview phone call while I was still in file complete-ready for review, ie I never had the EFI status.Congratulations!
How long did it take you guys to go from "File Complete - Ready for Review" to EFI or Not Competitive?
Regarding the secondary application question: Have you overcome any hardships that were NOT discussed in your AMCAS application? Please provide details regarding hardships
If you had string of very bad luck in college, could it make you sound crazy answering this question truthfully?
If you call it bad luck, yes. If there were actual hardships throughout college that were out of your control that you can actually speak to, then you will probably not sound crazy.
This is probably getting more at socioeconomic hardships or other significant events such as the loss of a family member or major health issues you or a family member had. Saying you got stuck with the worst chem professor you schools has and then your apartment got infested with ants does not really count as a "hardship" IMO.
If you call it bad luck, yes. If there were actual hardships throughout college that were out of your control that you can actually speak to, then you will probably not sound crazy.
This is probably getting more at socioeconomic hardships or other significant events such as the loss of a family member or major health issues you or a family member had. Saying you got stuck with the worst chem professor you schools has and then your apartment got infested with ants does not really count as a "hardship" IMO.
Agreed. What they are looking for here is URM type disadvantages( financial hardship, dangerous neighborhoods, lack of proper education resources), medical disadvantages ( dealing with cancer, traumatic injury, PTSD), loss of loved ones ( Death of family or friends). I wrote about how the death of many of my friends in the "war on terror" shook me up worse then I thought and had an effect on my grades and my plans to fix these grade errors.
Ugh, I'm stuck still waiting for my fifth letter of rec... supposedly my reference sent it in last month, but AMCAS never received it, now I'm in limbo with the whole thing. Just goes to show ya, nothing is ever easy with this stinking process. I hate seeing the "3/1" status.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been complete since late July, but my status hasn't changed yet. Is this the case for anybody else?AORTA - EFI Today! 😀
File Complete - Ready for Review on 8/15
I've been complete since late July, but my status hasn't changed yet. Is this the case for anybody else?
It may mean that we are awaiting some additional piece of information such as a future MCAT score or GPA information. If you have a concern contact the admissions office via [email protected] to make sure that something as not gone awry.
Anyone know what percentage of people that get the AORTA - EFI status actually end up getting interviews?
Last year 409 were interviewed from an EFI group of about 1,100.
On another somewhat related note we do accept file updates via email. We do not want anything via postal, no transcripts unless admitted, but we do like "grade sheets" for end of semester grade updates. Make updates cut-n-pastable because we'll move the updates right into your file for committee update reviews. Make sure updates has some relevance/significance......and be judicious....do not send them "weekly."
hilarious 🙂
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K