2012-2013 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the call from REL this morning! Interviewing Sept 21st, very excited!

Edit:
Complete July 13th, 3.75/3.74, 32 o, IS for those wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My status was EFI yesterday, but when I checked today, there is no status at all. Did this happen to anyone else? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
My status was EFI yesterday, but when I checked today, there is no status at all. Did this happen to anyone else? Thanks

Happened to me yesterday, but after an hour or so it went back to EFI.

Got the call from REL this morning! Interviewing Sept 21st, very excited!

Edit:
Complete July 13th, 3.75/3.74, 32 o, IS for those wondering.
I will see you at lunch...even if I won't know who you are. Listen for the one with the island accent :)

So my application was only submitted a month ago and verified on the 21st, should I have updated volunteering/shadowing/reseach things to put down? I have continued the activities I have been doing but nothing new has happened in a month. It just seems kind of lackluster to put no for 7 questions about new information when I submitted this to them a month ago.

So my application was only submitted a month ago and verified on the 21st, should I have updated volunteering/shadowing/reseach things to put down? I have continued the activities I have been doing but nothing new has happened in a month. It just seems kind of lackluster to put no for 7 questions about new information when I submitted this to them a month ago.
I left all of those blank and got an II. Just be honest!

Happened to me yesterday, but after an hour or so it went back to EFI.

There are times throughout the day when the dashboard system resyncs/updates and your status will "disappear" for a few minutes. Normally this may occur on even hours, at the top of the hour for up to 10 minutes. This will not affect your data input for the supplemental, but does affect the dashboard.

WOOT WOOT! EFI :) I even had the chance to speak with the SDN's legendary REL, who was a genuinely nice guy. Glad to be applying to this school, crossing my fingers to get back to the beautiful Orlando ;)

Last edited:
Are you guys that already received interview invited EDP applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Invited to interview!! I feel so incredibly grateful to get to get a chance to interview here :D Best of luck to everyone, hope to see you on interview day :)

Is anybody interviewing this Friday? 9/7?

BUMP! I'm also curious what interviews are like here. For those interviewing/have interviewed, wouldn't mind some light shed on this :D

Two separate one-on-one interviews mainly with community physicians, COM faculty, or 4th year students. Each is designed to go 30 minutes, generally conversational with some scripted questions. They have access to your AMCAS and Supplemental applications prior to the interview, but they do not have your transcript/grades/scores.

AORTA-EFI. Hope they give me an ii. It's been a slow app season for me.

I just interviewed here today. Honestly, UCF exceeded my expectations and really eased all of my concerns, and the faculty, students, and especially Rel are beyond friendly and helpful. Definitely very excited about this school! October 16 come sooner!

I just interviewed here today. Honestly, UCF exceeded my expectations and really eased all of my concerns, and the faculty, students, and especially Rel are beyond friendly and helpful. Definitely very excited about this school! October 16 come sooner!

Post like this make me want an interview invite so much more! Glad to hear you were so impressed with the school.

Hi all,

I'm an M1 at UCF and would be happy to answer any questions about the school or interview process.

I chose UCF over many other acceptances and I love it here. I could rave about it all day, haha.

Feel free to PM me as well.

Hi all,

I'm an M1 at UCF and would be happy to answer any questions about the school or interview process.

I chose UCF over many other acceptances and I love it here. I could rave about it all day, haha.

Feel free to PM me as well.

1) What's one major/specific reason you chose UCF over all your other acceptances?

2) Is the med school directly under flight paths for Orlando International Airport and if so, how annoying is that?

3) And just for fun... Did you visit Disney World when you interviewed there if you're OOS? :D

1) What's one major/specific reason you chose UCF over all your other acceptances?

2) Is the med school directly under flight paths for Orlando International Airport and if so, how annoying is that?

3) And just for fun... Did you visit Disney World when you interviewed there if you're OOS?

1) One of the primary things that drew me to UCF over other places was how student centered it is. Whenever I have questions for faculty and staff, I ALWAYS get a response to my emails by the end of the day if not within the hour. To be fair, we are still in our first module so I can't speak for every faculty member at the COM, but before our first exam one of the faculty members held tons of extra office hours and even had a two and a half hour night time review session for us. During the admissions process, REL and the student services staff were just amazingly responsive and it made me feel not only that they really wanted ME there (as opposed to just my tuition) but that as a student I would get the support I needed when I needed it. I was also impressed by the resources for students who are struggling or who just want to maximize their potential. There is free tutoring offered by the M2s that excelled last year as well as a Student Academic Support Services that will work with you to make a study schedule and to help you with time management or study skills.

2) I don't even think about it except when I'm walking to my car. Sometimes it seems like they're going to land in the parking lot. But inside the building or even out in the courtyard area, I don't even hear or notice the planes.

3) I didn't visit when I interviewed because I had been pretty recently. But discounts to Disney is one of the perks of being a UCF student so maybe I'll go again soon!

also checked today to see EFI! here's to hoping for some good news :)

Does anyone know what the specifics are in terms of the letters of recommendation and the two character letters? I'm having a committee packet sent through AMCAS with the pre-health committee letter and three letters of recommendation (two from professors and one from a mentor/advisor). Will the letter from the mentor/advisor count as one character letter?

I wish I had known about these character letters before applying :scared:

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the specifics are in terms of the letters of recommendation and the two character letters? I'm having a committee packet sent through AMCAS with the pre-health committee letter and three letters of recommendation (two from professors and one from a mentor/advisor). Will the letter from the mentor/advisor count as one character letter?

I wish I had known about these character letters before applying :scared:

No the committee letter speaks to your time in the academic world. You should be able to find someone that knows you outside of academics. You can go into AMCAS and build a "port" for the author to upload the second character letter. Once you build the "port" you provide the information to the author who can instantly upload directly into your file for this letter.

Anyone else going to be there for an interview tomorrow??

I like the fact UCF lets you know you made it into their EFI pool. I feel like most schools use this same system, but just don't inform you of the update.

I like the fact UCF lets you know you made it into their EFI pool. I feel like most schools use this same system, but just don't inform you of the update.
The whole process is very transparent at UCF. If you get waitlisted, they keep you posted of your status/chances throughout the entire cycle. No wishing/hoping/praying--you know exactly where you stand at all times.

Met a few current students at the UCF graduate studies fair (I'm local) yesterday. They couldn't speak highly enough about the place. Gave the pretty standard advice to be calm and honest in your interviews. Also definitely cemented that getting your app in early helps. One of the students got turned down her first app year when she filed in like Oct or something....next year with a nearly identical app in june, she's a med student.

Good luck everyone...hope to join you in 2 years!

I want to bump this - I, too, have continued my volunteering and leadership, however nothing "new" has popped up. Just meeting new people every day, gaining experience, etc. Selecting "No" for all these questions makes me feel lowly. What have you all done on that part of the application???

So I was a bit ignorant and didn't realize I need the two character letters before I applied. My file/secondary is complete and waiting to be reviewed so it would be wise to get those in asap I'm sure. Question is, though, how do I go about doing that? There's a way to have the writers upload them to AMCAS, correct? I have the committee letter, but was fortunate to not have to worry about being involved with the uploading and such.

This was hands down the most incredible interview I've gone on yet. State of the art doesn't begin to describe UCFCOM. The people, the equipment, and the program are all amazing... I was SO impressed. Everyone should be super excited for this interview!!

Not to mention the transparency of the admissions staff/process is amazing.

Also, one word: Robots.

I'm gonna stop drooling about UCFCOM now before I soak the keyboard.

Also, you do that by printing out and sending the recommenders the same letter request you gave the committee and they will upload it themselves. You will get email notification when they are submitted and then you designate them to be sent to ucf and resubmit your amcas. The letters will be sent pretty quickly from there.

Their classes are taught by robots?!?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I want to bump this - I, too, have continued my volunteering and leadership, however nothing "new" has popped up. Just meeting new people every day, gaining experience, etc. Selecting "No" for all these questions makes me feel lowly. What have you all done on that part of the application???

I selected "No" for all the questions, and I'm thrilled to have received an interview invite. Just be honest!

to those who've interviewed already, what were they like and what kind of ethical/health policy questions were discussed if anyone can remember? any insight appreciated! :)

to those who've interviewed already, what were they like and what kind of ethical/health policy questions were discussed if anyone can remember? any insight appreciated! :)
Interviews were pretty casual, one of mine was a PhD faculty and the other was a local MD just volunteering to interview. Both were 30 minutes, with a certain set of questions that HAD to be covered first. My PhD interviewer asked me a lot about my research (why the studies looked at some variables and not others, etc) and the MD kind of challenged me on a lot of my ethical answers (maybe just probing me to further develop my answers). The questions were asking for your reaction to hypothetical situations. Also, both interviewers would randomly ask me questions pertaining to my AMCAS or PS, so make sure you are very familiar with those.
The rest of the day is just super relaxed, as you spend it with Rel and current medical students, as well as the other interviewees. It really allows you to get a feel for what its like to be a medical student there.

AORTA / EFI this evening.. (love the AORTA, so catchy) and I was Complete 09/11...

Hoping for the call from REL!!

Last edited:

Quite a few hypotheticals about residents/physicians and their behavior in the hospital. For example, what would you do if two physicians were making fun of a patient in the elevator? Use the interview feedback, I thought it was really helpful. Good luck!

I've been stuck at EFI for almost 3 weeks, c'mon UCF show me some looooove!

By way of update we have filled interview groups through October 19. More invites will go out later today if all goes well. Another strong group of applicants from around the country with great qualities and motivations....man you make it tuff!!!!

By way of update we have filled interview groups through October 19. More invites will go out later today if all goes well. Another strong group of applicants from around the country with great qualities and motivations....man you make it tuff!!!!

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.