-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
wtf how long after you submitted the secondary did you guys get rejected? seems hasty as hell
As I mentioned previously, the office reviews files pretty quickly. Because the queue is pretty short, you'll likely get decisions quickly. It won't be so fast in a month or two, though.
Just got rejected today as well.
Good luck to the rest of you that have gotten invites and the others that are still waiting!
Best of luck with the rest of your cycle.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, a 34 and a 3.9 got rejected this early in the cycle. Those are very strong stats. I am terrified.
Wow, a 34 and a 3.9 got rejected this early in the cycle. Those are very strong stats. I am terrified.
Holistic review process though. Just hoping it wasn't some sort of red flag I need to address for other schools.
Don't put too much sweat into it. There are people every year that are rejected pre-interview from Pritzker but end up getting accepted to Harvard, Yale, etc.. Don't let n=1 overly discourage you or put false expectations of doom in your mind. You'll be more than fine.
This is mostly to those that were rejected, but a couple of interesting facts:
-Thus far, the committee has only received 30 completed applications. This explains the very quick review time.
-With respect to numbers, each year the school rejects roughly 200 applicants that fall in the 4.0/40+ category.
Numbers are only one aspect of the application. Though it's tempting to use them as a basis for comparison because they're "objective" they really say nothing about the applicant's character, motivations, etc..
Also, a word of advice about rejections: don't take them as a sleight against your personal character or accomplishments. Instead, treat them as the school saying "we don't think you would be happy here if we accepted you." Because, really, that's what they're saying. Unfortunately there are more people that would succeed in medical school than can be admitted. A rejection doesn't mean the school thinks you shouldn't be a physician. It just means that, from their perspective, there are places that would be a better fit for you to do your training.
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
-Thus far, the committee has only received 30 completed applications. This explains the very quick review time.
-With respect to numbers, each year the school rejects roughly 200 applicants that fall in the 4.0/40+ category.
Numbers are only one aspect of the application. Though it's tempting to use them as a basis for comparison because they're "objective" they really say nothing about the applicant's character, motivations, etc..
Also, a word of advice about rejections: don't take them as a sleight against your personal character or accomplishments. Instead, treat them as the school saying "we don't think you would be happy here if we accepted you." Because, really, that's what they're saying. Unfortunately there are more people that would succeed in medical school than can be admitted. A rejection doesn't mean the school thinks you shouldn't be a physician. It just means that, from their perspective, there are places that would be a better fit for you to do your training.
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
I paid my application fee yesterday and received the confirmation email, but my online status is still "application fee NOT PAID". Should I call the office and find out what is wrong? Thanks!
No. I believe things like that are handled manually, so give it a couple of days before you call.
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
Super happy - I just received an invitation!
Congrats!
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
AMCAS marked LORs as received on Tuesday (7/3), but UChicago's website still says they haven't got my LORs yet. Is this normal?
AMCAS marked LORs as received on Tuesday (7/3), but UChicago's website still says they haven't got my LORs yet. Is this normal?
Yes, see above.
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
My secondary was submitted few days ago and the fee is showing as paid... but it says my Recs haven't been recieved.
Yet, they were automatically set up with AMCAS.
Is this to be expected?
Yet, they were automatically set up with AMCAS.
Is this to be expected?
it takes at least a week for them to update the LOR stuff. They do it manually. I had to call last year to get it updated after I waited 1 week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My secondary was submitted few days ago and the fee is showing as paid... but it says my Recs haven't been recieved.
Yet, they were automatically set up with AMCAS.
Is this to be expected?
Yes, see both Milk's post above and my previous post. These things are entered manually when they're received. Considering there's a huge number of apps that need to be processed, it will likely take a few days.
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
Thanks for the continued updates.
I just submitted my AMCAS this week and got an [automatic] email inviting me to fill out the secondary (yesterday morning).
Should I wait until after my AMCAS is verified to submit the secondary application? I imagine that writing the essays, etc. will take a while to prepare, but at this point my application probably won't be verified for at least 4 weeks.
If you have received the invitation, I would go ahead and get started. I don't think there's any harm in it. People run into issues with this when they seek out the secondary and start working on it before they have received an official invitation. In your case you'll be fine.
If you have received the invitation, I would go ahead and get started. I don't think there's any harm in it. People run into issues with this when they seek out the secondary and start working on it before they have received an official invitation. In your case you'll be fine.
I also haven't been verified yet (and probably won't be until August) but I have my secondary essays done. Should I still submit my secondary app? Will they auto-reject me if I do?
I also haven't been verified yet (and probably won't be until August) but I have my secondary essays done. Should I still submit my secondary app? Will they auto-reject me if I do?
You quoted my answer...
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
I have a question regarding LORs. I am submitting 4 individual letters, and this is what Pritzker's admissions website states regarding individual LORs:
"Please try to arrange to have all of your letters arrive at approximately the same time. Your application will be considered complete when your first three letters have arrived and will be reviewed by the admissions committee at that time. Receipt of additional letters of recommendation after that time will not re-open your file for a second review."
2 of my letters have been received by AMCAS, and I am waiting on the other 2, but I don't think that they will arrive at the same time...in order to avoid having the adcom review my application with the first 3 letters only, would it be okay if I only submit my secondary once all 4 of my letters are received? I figure that even when the first 3 letters have arrived, the adcom couldn't review the app without the secondary...so once I would submit my secondary, they will have all 4 letters. Does this plan seem okay? Or would they still consider the application complete once the first 3 letters have arrived, regardless of whether they have my secondary?
"Please try to arrange to have all of your letters arrive at approximately the same time. Your application will be considered complete when your first three letters have arrived and will be reviewed by the admissions committee at that time. Receipt of additional letters of recommendation after that time will not re-open your file for a second review."
2 of my letters have been received by AMCAS, and I am waiting on the other 2, but I don't think that they will arrive at the same time...in order to avoid having the adcom review my application with the first 3 letters only, would it be okay if I only submit my secondary once all 4 of my letters are received? I figure that even when the first 3 letters have arrived, the adcom couldn't review the app without the secondary...so once I would submit my secondary, they will have all 4 letters. Does this plan seem okay? Or would they still consider the application complete once the first 3 letters have arrived, regardless of whether they have my secondary?
Just got the interview invitation today. So excited!!!
I have a question regarding LORs. I am submitting 4 individual letters, and this is what Pritzker's admissions website states regarding individual LORs:
"Please try to arrange to have all of your letters arrive at approximately the same time. Your application will be considered complete when your first three letters have arrived and will be reviewed by the admissions committee at that time. Receipt of additional letters of recommendation after that time will not re-open your file for a second review."
2 of my letters have been received by AMCAS, and I am waiting on the other 2, but I don't think that they will arrive at the same time...in order to avoid having the adcom review my application with the first 3 letters only, would it be okay if I only submit my secondary once all 4 of my letters are received? I figure that even when the first 3 letters have arrived, the adcom couldn't review the app without the secondary...so once I would submit my secondary, they will have all 4 letters. Does this plan seem okay? Or would they still consider the application complete once the first 3 letters have arrived, regardless of whether they have my secondary?
I'm really not sure, but I would just wait to submit the secondary until you receive the letters just to be on the safe side.
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
Just got the interview invitation today. So excited!!!
Congrats!
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
Quick question ... I paid yesterday after submitting my secondary and got a receipt for payment, yet when I access the online portal it still says that my secondary is not yet complete and that the application fee is not yet paid.
Does it take a few days for this to process? (Just wondering bc the other schools that I submitted payment for had pretty much instant verification of payment)
Does it take a few days for this to process? (Just wondering bc the other schools that I submitted payment for had pretty much instant verification of payment)
I'm really not sure, but I would just wait to submit the secondary until you receive the letters just to be on the safe side.
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
Ok, thank you! I will do what you're suggesting.
Quick question ... I paid yesterday after submitting my secondary and got a receipt for payment, yet when I access the online portal it still says that my secondary is not yet complete and that the application fee is not yet paid.
Does it take a few days for this to process? (Just wondering bc the other schools that I submitted payment for had pretty much instant verification of payment)
Please see above. In short, yes.
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
Quick question ... I paid yesterday after submitting my secondary and got a receipt for payment, yet when I access the online portal it still says that my secondary is not yet complete and that the application fee is not yet paid.
Does it take a few days for this to process? (Just wondering bc the other schools that I submitted payment for had pretty much instant verification of payment)
I also submitted mine yesterday and if i remember correctly it said that they'll charge me on Monday (tomorrow)... so I think that's probably why!
I also submitted mine yesterday and if i remember correctly it said that they'll charge me on Monday (tomorrow)... so I think that's probably why!
Note that even when the fee is charged, it might be a few days before the status updates on your portal.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A quick note to those invited to interview thus far (and everyone in general).
Pritzker has a student hosting program which you likely heard/will hear about in your interview invitation e-mail. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of that opportunity! It's a great way to save money and, perhaps more importantly, learn about the school from the perspective of a student. As one of the hosting coordinators (at least until the incoming first year class takes over), please feel free to PM me if you run into any problems with getting a host. We're still getting everything set up, but you should start receiving confirmations from the coordinators relatively shortly.
Let me know if you have any questions about hosting or anything else. Hope the applications are going well!
Pritzker has a student hosting program which you likely heard/will hear about in your interview invitation e-mail. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of that opportunity! It's a great way to save money and, perhaps more importantly, learn about the school from the perspective of a student. As one of the hosting coordinators (at least until the incoming first year class takes over), please feel free to PM me if you run into any problems with getting a host. We're still getting everything set up, but you should start receiving confirmations from the coordinators relatively shortly.
Let me know if you have any questions about hosting or anything else. Hope the applications are going well!
hey i got the email about the twitter chat with pritzker admins but i dont know what it is. is it a chatroom or a forum like sdn
hey i got the email about the twitter chat with pritzker admins but i dont know what it is. is it a chatroom or a forum like sdn
Twitter chats are done using Twitter. You'll (probably) need an account in order to participate.
My undergraduate university is about 40 minutes away, so I could easily travel to the interview the day of. But, I like the idea of staying with a med student and hearing about UChicago from his/her perspective. Would it look bad if I applied for the student host even though I technically don't need it?
My undergraduate university is about 40 minutes away, so I could easily travel to the interview the day of. But, I like the idea of staying with a med student and hearing about UChicago from his/her perspective. Would it look bad if I applied for the student host even though I technically don't need it?
No - no one will care or really even know that you request a host beyond the hosting coordinators (which are students). However if you want to meet with someone but don't want to stay the night, I would submit the request form and make a note saying that you just want to meet with someone to talk about the school. I'm sure someone would be happy to meet you around campus to chat.
I submitted the secondary and payment on 7/3 and just checked the status page today-- they are both marked as received.
In case people are still worried.
In case people are still worried.
Interview Invite @ 2pm!! completed on 7/5
Interview Invite @ 2pm!! completed on 7/5
Congrats!
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
Rejected. Oh well. Best of luck to everyone else!
Best of luck in your cycle.
(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)
Just checked the site again: "Application Held for Later Review: Your application has been placed on hold for further review later in the application process. In the meantime we encourage you to keep us informed by email of new academic and extracurricular accomplishments."
I'm guessing this isn't great news, but what does it really mean?
I'm guessing this isn't great news, but what does it really mean?
Me too. From last year's thread 200 - 300 get held for later review in Dec. with 10-15% getting interviews. Not very good odds. (although I don't know how true this is)
Just checked the site again: "Application Held for Later Review: Your application has been placed on hold for further review later in the application process. In the meantime we encourage you to keep us informed by email of new academic and extracurricular accomplishments."
I'm guessing this isn't great news, but what does it really mean?
It essentially means that your application will be re-reviewed later on in the cycle. It's essentially a delayed decision: you aren't invited for now, but you might be in the future.
Edit: wanted to add that this is by no means a death sentence. I think something like 10-20% of interviews are given to people that are initially held for review, though I could be wrong there.
Last edited:
For the "Write about a challenge" prompt, I was thinking about a moral/personal struggle I had, but I feel like the part where "I learned from the experience" is really short. Basically I just talked with someoen about my issue, and read a bit of the Quran, and went about my way.
Basically, I don't drink cause of my religion, and I have been friends with people that drink copious amounts and that's what they did, and so many times I've wanted to just say "screw it" and drunk alcohol, but I also wanted to follow my religion. I talked with a friend in the same situation, and he also said it was tough for him too, and he said either I stop hanging out with them in those situations and I'll drift apart from them or I go to parties and whatnot with them with the risk of me doing something I dont want to do.
I know this topic may seem trivial, but to me, I felt it was important because faith is quite important in my life (yes, I know it is 2012) and I didn't want to be a person that picks and chooses parts of religion that are convenient for my lifestyle. Any opinions?
Basically, I don't drink cause of my religion, and I have been friends with people that drink copious amounts and that's what they did, and so many times I've wanted to just say "screw it" and drunk alcohol, but I also wanted to follow my religion. I talked with a friend in the same situation, and he also said it was tough for him too, and he said either I stop hanging out with them in those situations and I'll drift apart from them or I go to parties and whatnot with them with the risk of me doing something I dont want to do.
I know this topic may seem trivial, but to me, I felt it was important because faith is quite important in my life (yes, I know it is 2012) and I didn't want to be a person that picks and chooses parts of religion that are convenient for my lifestyle. Any opinions?
For the "Write about a challenge" prompt, I was thinking about a moral/personal struggle I had, but I feel like the part where "I learned from the experience" is really short. Basically I just talked with someoen about my issue, and read a bit of the Quran, and went about my way.
Basically, I don't drink cause of my religion, and I have been friends with people that drink copious amounts and that's what they did, and so many times I've wanted to just say "screw it" and drunk alcohol, but I also wanted to follow my religion. I talked with a friend in the same situation, and he also said it was tough for him too, and he said either I stop hanging out with them in those situations and I'll drift apart from them or I go to parties and whatnot with them with the risk of me doing something I dont want to do.
I know this topic may seem trivial, but to me, I felt it was important because faith is quite important in my life (yes, I know it is 2012) and I didn't want to be a person that picks and chooses parts of religion that are convenient for my lifestyle. Any opinions?
As long as you can make something that is "seemingly trivial" appear relevant and meaningful, then I think it's worth writing about. It's all about execution.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it ok to go over the word limit as well? I'm trying to cut back on setnences, but I'm probably going to be 100 or so words over the 400 limit...
I think 100 words over might be a little too much. Less than 20 words over seems okay, though.
Interview invite 😀 Was complete a few days ago 😀 so excited to visit!
Is it ok to go over the word limit as well? I'm trying to cut back on setnences, but I'm probably going to be 100 or so words over the 400 limit...
Going over is fine. I'm not sure I would break the limit by 25%, but, as riddler mentioned, I don't think 50 or less words over is a big deal. Try and respect the word limit, but if you can't, you can't.
Interview invite 😀 Was complete a few days ago 😀 so excited to visit!
Congratulations! We look forward to welcoming you.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K