2012-2013 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it okay to use the "Additional Info" space to talk about why I want to go to Pritzker?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it okay to use the "Additional Info" space to talk about why I want to go to Pritzker?

I think that would be appropriate. This section wasn't available when I applied so I don't have any real advice, but if you have nothing else to say but have compelling reasons for why Pritzker would be a place you want to do your training, I think that'd be a good use of space.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)

No idea, sorry. However my guess is that if you majored in the sciences, you'll be fine.

Their take on CC classes has me stressing. I was a chem major and have taken all of my bio, except biochem, as a post baccalaureate at a CC. Got a 14 on bio in the MCAT and have a strong GPA. All other pre-reqs are at a UC. Taking these factors into account, will CC bio significantly detract from my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Their take on CC classes has me stressing. I was a chem major and have taken all of my bio, except biochem, as a post baccalaureate at a CC. Got a 14 on bio in the MCAT and have a strong GPA. All other pre-reqs are at a UC. Taking these factors into account, will CC bio significantly detract from my application?

I really don't know. My guess would be no. Of you're concerned about it I would suggest talking with the admissions office about it. Our resident admissions committee member might also be able to help...

(puts up bat signal)

For you and anyone else worried about CC stuff, here's some information that I received from the admissions office:

...we look at an applicant's overall trajectory and how they challenge themselves by their curriculum. So, for example, someone who started at CC and transitioned to a 4-year school and did well would be reviewed very positively by our committee. We recognize that not everyone has the same resources and that not everyone starts at the same place when they begin college. We would be more concerned if someone did well at a CC and then did poorly when transitioning to a 4-year school. And we would be concerned if someone never challenged themselves with their curriculum (e.g. if they had AP credit but then took only basic science courses). Also, the admissions committee understands that not all CC are equal. Many CC programs are not rigorous, but we know which ones, e.g. which California CCs, are strong, and we know which city and community colleges around the country are not. So they should not stress out! :)

Hopefully that will assuage your (and others') concerns!

For you and anyone else worried about CC stuff, here's some information that I received from the admissions office:

Hopefully that will assuage your (and others') concerns!
Concerns assuaged. Much thanks.

Is anyone else who is verified still waiting for the secondary? Thanks!

my apologies in advance for being so neurotic, but the since it recommends a limit of say 200 characters for some portions of the secondary is it a deal breaker if I go over a bit (maybe 220 characters or so)? thanks guys

my apologies in advance for being so neurotic, but the since it recommends a limit of say 200 characters for some portions of the secondary is it a deal breaker if I go over a bit (maybe 220 characters or so)? thanks guys

I went over by like... 700 characters on the "fit" question. Don't use unnecessary words, but the limit isn't an absolutely hard limit.

I went over by like... 700 characters on the "fit" question. Don't use unnecessary words, but the limit isn't an absolutely hard limit.

much appreciated and good to know, thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a supplementary application invite from UChicago Med schl today. But AMCAS hasn't verified my app yet and hasn't marked my transcript as received either so why would it send it to med schls? Doesn't make sense. I do have a high MCAT score (38)... u think they were checking their applicants from AMCAS and decided to send me an invite cuz of it?

just got an invite to the secondary too- AMCAS has not been verified yet.

but is anyone else having trouble actually getting into the secondary? once i fill out all of the information and click "Continue," it just resets all of the fields and doesn't do anything else. i tried in a different internet browser, and no luck either. any ideas?

good luck to everyone applying :)

Got a supplementary application invite from UChicago Med schl today. But AMCAS hasn't verified my app yet and hasn't marked my transcript as received either so why would it send it to med schls? Doesn't make sense. I do have a high MCAT score (38)... u think they were checking their applicants from AMCAS and decided to send me an invite cuz of it?

I don't know how exactly the whole verification process works, but there are many schools that send secondaries before the primary is verified. I doubt that it's because of your MCAT or any other factor in your app.

Sounds like more than a few folks woke up to the same thing today. I submitted 6/27, definitely not verified, and got the secondary this morning (because they received my "intention to apply" from AMCAS). Do they not screen for secondaries/should I not feel flattered?

For those of you having trouble logging in to the secondary: once you register at the secondary website, you should receive a confirmation e-mail saying that you've registered. After you receive that e-mail, you should be able to log in and access the secondary. If you can't, give the admissions office a ring and they'll help you out.

Sounds like more than a few folks woke up to the same thing today. I submitted 6/27, definitely not verified, and got the secondary this morning (because they received my "intention to apply" from AMCAS). Do they not screen for secondaries/should I not feel flattered?

No, there is no pre-secondary screen.

Hey guys, I know this challenge essay topic comes up in many secondaries. How do people feel about the topic of finding a new path to medical school after a previously failed attempt to matriculate? Too overdone? It is sincerely the biggest challenge of my career and I topic I can be sincere about.

Also I haven't applied to Pritzker before so I'm wondering if they know I've applied before/should write about it.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I know this challenge essay topic comes up in many secondaries. How do people feel about the topic of finding a new path to medical school after a previously failed attempt to matriculate? Too overdone? It is sincerely the biggest challenge of my career and I topic I can be sincere about.

Also I haven't applied to Pritzker before so I'm wondering if they know I've applied before/should write about it.

Thanks in advance.

I think that would be appropriate, though keep in mind these "challenges" of course aren't limited to your career - they can include personal difficulties, academic difficulties, etc.. Just be careful (both in this secondary and all essays that respond to this prompt) about focusing too much on the failure itself and not enough about why the experience was important to you. The latter is more important than the former IMO.

Hey everyone,

I am going back and forth about a "challenging situation" to write about for my secondary essay. I am leaning heavily toward writing about my parents' divorce and was wondering if you guys thought that was suitable?

Hey everyone,

I am going back and forth about a "challenging situation" to write about for my secondary essay. I am leaning heavily toward writing about my parents' divorce and was wondering if you guys thought that was suitable?

IMO that's fine, just make sure you write it in a way that shows you stably deal with the situation. If it's still tender and emotionally charged then I would shy away just because by putting it in your secondary it becomes fair game for the interview. If you're comfortable with it though I'm sure you have quite a bit you could say.

Hey everyone,

I'm sure that's fine. From what I understand, it can be anything that you found challenging. For example, maybe it was challenging to deal with an employee that wasn't doing his work properly.

I'm sure that's fine. From what I understand, it can be anything that you found challenging. For example, maybe it was challenging to deal with an employee that wasn't doing his work properly.

Agree with this. Avoid the universally trite ("one time I left a candy bar at my friend's house"), but really anything else is fine. What's more important IMO is what you took from the experience, not the experience itself.

Pritzker's twitter says they've started sending out interviews. Anyone here yet?

Wow, I thought you were crazy but I just checked their twitter and you're right apparently they have offered interviews already! How can that be?!!! Do you think it's only for the applicants with insanely high stats?

Randomly woke up to an Interview Invite this morning! WOW! I just have to say that in writing the essays for this school I realized how much I loved this school and how honored I would be to even have the chance to see it in person.... apparently that shined through in the essays?

Totally unexpected since its a holiday!

Randomly woke up to an Interview Invite this morning! WOW! I just have to say that in writing the essays for this school I realized how much I loved this school and how honored I would be to even have the chance to see it in person.... apparently that shined through in the essays?

Awesome, congrats on being the SDN first!

Wow, I thought you were crazy but I just checked their twitter and you're right apparently they have offered interviews already! How can that be?!!! Do you think it's only for the applicants with insanely high stats?

Early on decisions will come quickly as the queue to review is short. I don't think it reflects much about your competitiveness so much as how quickly you're complete. As the cycle goes on, though, decisions will take longer and longer.

What's the consensus on a good secondary essay turn-around time. I might give UChicago a few weeks and make sure it's all solid. Don't really expect to get in with my stats, but maybe I can wow them with something in the secondary? It sucks trying to get all this done in the summer while working full-time!

What's the consensus on a good secondary essay turn-around time. I might give UChicago a few weeks and make sure it's all solid. Don't really expect to get in with my stats, but maybe I can wow them with something in the secondary? It sucks trying to get all this done in the summer while working full-time!

I always advise taking longer and producing good responses than rushing it. I turned my Pritzker secondary in roughly a month after I received it.

I took a few of my pre reqs at a CC after my undergrad graduation. Should I explain why in the "additional information" section.

I took a few of my pre reqs at a CC after my undergrad graduation. Should I explain why in the "additional information" section.

Is it something significant? And what kind of courses? Regardless, I wouldn't include it unless you think it's really important information.

Is it something significant? And what kind of courses? Regardless, I wouldn't include it unless you think it's really important information.

Physics II & Orgo I & II. I took after I graduated from my undergrad. Maybe I shouldn't. No real reason outside of wanting to save money and it was the only place that still had classes that weren't full and I could fit together into a schedule.

Congrats, that's awesome! Just wondering, when did you submit your secondary and when were you complete?

Physics II & Orgo I & II. I took after I graduated from my undergrad. Maybe I shouldn't. No real reason outside of wanting to save money and it was the only place that still had classes that weren't full and I could fit together into a schedule.

In that case I definitely wouldn't worry about it. The chronology will speak for itself.

We'll look forward to welcoming you to campus :) As a student here, I can say that we really enjoy meeting interviewees.

Just received my interview invite today as well! SUPER excited for the opportunity to interview at this great school :)

Is it ok to reuse a topic on my secondary essay that I mentioned on my AMCAS app? I talked about how me being involved in music for a long time was an important activity on my AMCAS app, and I want to use it for my diversity essay and how I will carry out the mission statement. Is it OK if it's similar? It won't be a cut and paste, but I feel like a lot of the ideas will be similar.

Rejected today... Submitted my secondary hours after it was sent on 6/29. Seems very swift though, anyway I can find out what the red flag was?

34Q, cGPA 3.90, sGPA 3.89

Rejected today... Submitted my secondary hours after it was sent on 6/29. Seems very swift though, anyway I can find out what the red flag was?

34Q, cGPA 3.90, sGPA 3.89

I have no idea how the pre-interview selection process operates, so I can't give you any ideas, unfortunately. Sorry to hear that though.

Is it ok to reuse a topic on my secondary essay that I mentioned on my AMCAS app? I talked about how me being involved in music for a long time was an important activity on my AMCAS app, and I want to use it for my diversity essay and how I will carry out the mission statement. Is it OK if it's similar? It won't be a cut and paste, but I feel like a lot of the ideas will be similar.

As long as it's not a direct cut-and-paste I think you'll be fine. Ideally you would include some more in-depth and/or new information that wasn't included in the primary.

Just got rejected today as well.
Good luck to the rest of you that have gotten invites and the others that are still waiting!

wtf how long after you submitted the secondary did you guys get rejected? seems hasty as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.