2012-2013 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Completed on 6/8 and hoping to here back soon.

However i was just editing my essay i submitted to Pritzker for another secondary and noticed a small but noticeable typo in one of my essays that i skipped over somehow 😕

Hope it doesn't end up being a big deal :laugh:
 
For the "Write about a challenge" prompt, I was thinking about a moral/personal struggle I had, but I feel like the part where "I learned from the experience" is really short. Basically I just talked with someoen about my issue, and read a bit of the Quran, and went about my way.

Basically, I don't drink cause of my religion, and I have been friends with people that drink copious amounts and that's what they did, and so many times I've wanted to just say "screw it" and drunk alcohol, but I also wanted to follow my religion. I talked with a friend in the same situation, and he also said it was tough for him too, and he said either I stop hanging out with them in those situations and I'll drift apart from them or I go to parties and whatnot with them with the risk of me doing something I dont want to do.

I know this topic may seem trivial, but to me, I felt it was important because faith is quite important in my life (yes, I know it is 2012) and I didn't want to be a person that picks and chooses parts of religion that are convenient for my lifestyle. Any opinions?

It's all about how you spin it. The essay topic could be very appropriate if you learned something about yourself or what's important to you through the experience.

I'd say the word limit is there to help you--essays tend to be more memorable and moving when they are brief.
 
Yeah, I realized I had a ton of fluff after rereading it, so I'm just cutting out more words when possible to make it more succinct. It's like 50 over now, but I'm going to try and get it to 20.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted my secondary today. My new MCAT scores don't come in until August 7th so at least I'll have a month of false hope before my rejection email. But still holding on to a glimmer of hope!

Please Pritzker, I believe in miracles!!!!!!!
 
Got invitation today, super excited!!

I have a lab meeting scheduled the day after the interview so I want to go back in the evening. The last flight (with reasonable price) is 7pm from Midway. Would it be too rush if I take that flight? Thanks!
 
I think 7pm is perfect. They say just to allow an hour for Midway and to plan to be on campus until 5pm, so that gets you there in time for your flight. Good luck with your interview!
 
Chicago sends updates via email for things? Or do I have to login to see if my interview invite is up? I submitted my secondary 7/5
 
Got invitation today, super excited!!

I have a lab meeting scheduled the day after the interview so I want to go back in the evening. The last flight (with reasonable price) is 7pm from Midway. Would it be too rush if I take that flight? Thanks!

You'll have plenty of time. The interview day effectively ends when your last interview is over (which will vary from person to person by a bit). I would expect to be done by 3pm or so, and a ride to Midway would take an hour at most (i.e., using the CTA).

Congratulations!
 
Got an interview invite yesterday! Came via email. Looks like the dates offered are going to be Tuesdays and Thursdays starting the week of August 20. Can't wait!
 
Got an interview invite yesterday! Came via email. Looks like the dates offered are going to be Tuesdays and Thursdays starting the week of August 20. Can't wait!

Unless they're changing things up there are also usually interviews on Mondays. I haven't heard anything suggesting they'd be getting rid of that day, though they might not start with Mondays right away.

And congrats!
 
Rejected. Oh well, i should've known i didn't have a shot here :laugh:

Best of luck to everyone else applying here!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
would a current pritzker student care to help me out and read my two prtizker responses? i would greatly appreciate it. i have been holding this essay for a little over a week just to make it perfect.

thanks!
 
Just got my interview invite! This is my first one, I'm so excited! Hopefully I'll see some of you there!!
 
ZING...just got rejected. :-( This was quite a reach school for me though. Submitted secondary on 7/11. My stats:

MCAT: 33R
BCPM GPA: 3.74
Total GPA: 3.80

Despite the sting of rejection, I do appreciate Pritzker's quick turnaround time...wish other schools would follow the example and avoid "stringing us along" for six months or more. NickNaylor, thank you for your awesome feedback. Keep fighting the good fight everyone!

*resigned, heroic salute*
 
😱 Yikes! I keep seeing people with stats very close to mine getting rejected. I'm really scared now! Still need to submit my secondary too! D:
 
😱 Yikes! I keep seeing people with stats very close to mine getting rejected. I'm really scared now! Still need to submit my secondary too! D:

I guess your best bet is to do a really good job with the secondary, although that's what I did and it didn't seem to work haha. Good luck!
 
I guess your best bet is to do a really good job with the secondary, although that's what I did and it didn't seem to work haha. Good luck!

Sorry about the rejection. I hope you have better luck with other schools!

Would you mind telling me your MCAT breakdown by section? I understand if you prefer not to.
 
Sorry about the rejection. I hope you have better luck with other schools!

Would you mind telling me your MCAT breakdown by section? I understand if you prefer not to.

Nahhhh, I don't mind. My BS score is killing me, I think. I got 12-PS, 11-VR, and 10-BS. R on the writing sample. The 10 in BS would have been super low for Prizker. Ah well. Any interview invitees want to share their stats?
 
While it can be tempting to compare each other using strictly numbers, keep in mind that that's only one aspect of the application that gets evaluated. I think our class had a MCAT score range of mid to upper 20s all the way up to 42-43.

Best of luck to those rejected.

(sent from my phone)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Feeling excited about this school! It's a reach considering my "lowly" 3.8/34 & limited research. The challenge essay is freaking me out a little. I have a lot of challenging stuff in my life that would probably impress judges who were looking for "oh wow you had a hard life" stories, but I feel like my coping strategies for those things were not always particularly healthy or effective.

Since I visit some of my more interesting life-circumstances in my PS & the diversity section, I think my challenge essay is going to be about getting over math anxiety and acing trig, calc, & physics. Which sounds really mundane, but I used a lot of really effective coping strategies to get through something that was really hard for me. But I can't help but think that this is a really annoying essay subject that they have read too often.
 
Last edited:
question - my amcas app was only verified 6/22, and has not been reviewed yet. can i still submit my UChicago app after i finish my essays even though it doesn't see my secondaries? I have a similar issue with BU, and they said I won't be able to send in my app until my MCAT scores and letters show up on their secondary.

Thanks for your help.
 
question - my amcas app was only verified 6/22, and has not been reviewed yet. can i still submit my UChicago app after i finish my essays even though it doesn't see my secondaries? I have a similar issue with BU, and they said I won't be able to send in my app until my MCAT scores and letters show up on their secondary.

Thanks for your help.

Not sure that I understand your question. If you have been officially invited to complete the secondary, you may do so without any concerns. If you haven't gotten the e-mail inviting you to do the secondary, wait until you receive it. Your app won't be reviewed until all parts of it are present; it doesn't matter in what order they're received.
 
i was invited to complete the secondary. my question was, if i'm done with my app, but my AMCAS primary hasn't been reviewed yet, can i still send the seconary in?
 
i was invited to complete the secondary. my question was, if i'm done with my app, but my AMCAS primary hasn't been reviewed yet, can i still send the seconary in?

You said above your primary app was verified, but then you said that it hasn't been reviewed yet. Which is it?
 
i was invited to complete the secondary. my question was, if i'm done with my app, but my AMCAS primary hasn't been reviewed yet, can i still send the seconary in?

Yes, as long as you have received the invitation you can submit the secondary. However your app won't be reviewed until all components (primary + secondary + fee + MCAT + LORs) are received by the office.
 
Yes, as long as you have received the invitation you can submit the secondary. However your app won't be reviewed until all components (primary + secondary + fee + MCAT + LORs) are received by the office.
My school submits a committee letter packet which isn't sent until around the end of August. Is there any advantage for me to submit my secondary now, since without my LoRs my application will still be considered incomplete?
 
My school submits a committee letter packet which isn't sent until around the end of August. Is there any advantage for me to submit my secondary now, since without my LoRs my application will still be considered incomplete?

I would say no. That said, don't let the app languish - work on it and try and get it in ASAP. However the limiting step here will obviously be the LOR.
 
Has anyone else had trouble with registering for the online secondary application? I received an invitation 7/5, but still can't get past the credentials check (AAMC ID, Last name, DOB, Email). I fill out my information, hit continue, and the page refreshes... I've tried on Chrome, IE, and Nightly (Firefox) and double-checked all of my information with AMCAS and everything is correct <.<

Call the admissions office - they can help you out.

(sent from my phone)
 
Interview Invite! Very excited!!

Congrats! When did you submit your secondary? I submitted last Tuesday so based on how fast they were going earlier I had hoped to hear one way or another by now. Guess I'm just not being patient enough.
 
Congrats! When did you submit your secondary? I submitted last Tuesday so based on how fast they were going earlier I had hoped to hear one way or another by now. Guess I'm just not being patient enough.

Thanks! Submitted my secondary last Thursday. Good luck to you! :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i was invited to complete the secondary. my question was, if i'm done with my app, but my AMCAS primary hasn't been reviewed yet, can i still send the seconary in?

Yep! I asked on twitter and this is what they said:

Me: "Should I submit my secondary application if completed, but my primary AMCAS application has been submitted, yet not verified?"
Them: "Go ahead & submit your secondary; that way you will advance straight to our screening queue once you are verified."
 
Can somebody comment: when is the interview period for Pritzker and how flexible are the interview dates once an offer to interview has been given? I am living abroad now and trying to book my ticket back for interviews. To be clear, I haven't submitted my complete app yet -- but ticket prices go up quickly, so trying to book early, just in case I'm lucky enough to get an interview. Thanks.
 
Can somebody comment: when is the interview period for Pritzker and how flexible are the interview dates once an offer to interview has been given? I am living abroad now and trying to book my ticket back for interviews. To be clear, I haven't submitted my complete app yet -- but ticket prices go up quickly, so trying to book early, just in case I'm lucky enough to get an interview. Thanks.

Interviews run from late August to January or February. I'm not sure how far in advance you can sign up using the secondary app (I think only dates in the next few weeks are available). I would recommend emailing the admissions office to set up a later date if you need to.

(sent from my phone)
 
Interview invite earlier today!!! Very excited!! Quick question for those of you who know Chicago. It looks like the options I have for return flights all leave from O'hare. Would a 7:10pm return flight be cutting it too close? Possible with a taxi?
Thanks!
 
Interview invite earlier today!!! Very excited!! Quick question for those of you who know Chicago. It looks like the options I have for return flights all leave from O'hare. Would a 7:10pm return flight be cutting it too close? Possible with a taxi?
Thanks!

Congrats! You'll be fine IMO (taxi or CTA).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.