2012-2013 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone waited close to two weeks or more to hear back from this school after submitting the secondary?

NickNaylor- Any insight into why some apps take longer than others to review? My AMCAS was only verified the day before I submitted the secondary. Could this have anything to do with it?
 
Has anyone waited close to two weeks or more to hear back from this school after submitting the secondary?

NickNaylor- Any insight into why some apps take longer than others to review? My AMCAS was only verified the day before I submitted the secondary. Could this have anything to do with it?

No idea unfortunately. I doubt the timing would matter however as long as everything has been marked as received on your portal.
 
No idea unfortunately. I doubt the timing would matter however as long as everything has been marked as received on your portal.

Oh ok. I just read something in last year's forum that said that people who do not hear back quickly usually are rejected. Didn't know if there was any truth to that. There does seem to be some variability in time students are hearing back; I just hadn't heard of anyone waiting two weeks or more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh ok. I just read something in last year's forum that said that people who do not hear back quickly usually are rejected. Didn't know if there was any truth to that. There does seem to be some variability in time students are hearing back; I just hadn't heard of anyone waiting two weeks or more.

That could be true, but there really are too many things that might cause your app to take a whole that are entirely unrelated to your competitiveness. If it's really getting to you I'd recommend giving the admissions office a call. I doubt they'll give you much information, but it could be worth a shot.
 
Oh ok. I just read something in last year's forum that said that people who do not hear back quickly usually are rejected. Didn't know if there was any truth to that. There does seem to be some variability in time students are hearing back; I just hadn't heard of anyone waiting two weeks or more.

I don't think it's related. They're not shy about a quick rejection.
 
is it really bad if I still haven't submitted my secondary after two weeks? even though my primary hasn't been verified?
Since my primary hasn't even been verified, I thought it wouldnt be a big deal to submit my secondary within two weeks since they can't review it anyway. or am I wrong?
 
Has anyone gotten an MSTP II yet? I submitted on the 3rd but my letters weren't in/app wasn't complete until the 20th so I'm just curious.
 
I submitted my secondary a 1/2-hr ago and it says I haven't submitted my payment on the site but I have. The $$$ status is not colored and the payment button is still there. But I've received an email saying "Your payment was successful."

Anyone else have this problem? I know, it's only been 30 min since they received it...
 
is it really bad if I still haven't submitted my secondary after two weeks? even though my primary hasn't been verified?
Since my primary hasn't even been verified, I thought it wouldnt be a big deal to submit my secondary within two weeks since they can't review it anyway. or am I wrong?

No.

(sent from my phone)
 
I submitted my secondary a 1/2-hr ago and it says I haven't submitted my payment on the site but I have. The $$$ status is not colored and the payment button is still there. But I've received an email saying "Your payment was successful."

Anyone else have this problem? I know, it's only been 30 min since they received it...

It's only been 30 minutes... remain calm.

(sent from my phone)
 
Has anyone gotten an MSTP II yet? I submitted on the 3rd but my letters weren't in/app wasn't complete until the 20th so I'm just curious.

Nope.. I was complete around 7/10. I imagine they're waiting to get a few more MSTP apps so they have something to judge against, since there are so few MSTP applicants anyway.
 
So I am bit confused. I see people who had complete applications before and after me get rejected. And also people with complete applications before and after me get invited for interviews or put on hold for later review.

I was complete on 7/9 but still haven't heard back yet. I know it has only been two weeks but I thought they do the applications in order, no?
 
So I am bit confused. I see people who had complete applications before and after me get rejected. And also people with complete applications before and after me get invited for interviews or put on hold for later review.

I was complete on 7/9 but still haven't heard back yet. I know it has only been two weeks but I thought they do the applications in order, no?

Evidently not - I am in the same boat as you.
 
So I am bit confused. I see people who had complete applications before and after me get rejected. And also people with complete applications before and after me get invited for interviews or put on hold for later review.

I was complete on 7/9 but still haven't heard back yet. I know it has only been two weeks but I thought they do the applications in order, no?

I was complete on 7/11 and I haven't heard anything either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You guys got emails indicating you're complete? My status says "Application Complete" but I never received any email except the payment confirmation.

No, I was just making a joke, I'm
not even complete yet so I don't know what you're supposed to get.
 
Rawr!!! I am mstp also and I want an interview at U Chicago!!!!

Rawr Chi Town!!! -- PS: homecoming by Kanye will be my pump up song Pre-interview
 
Rawr!!! I am mstp also and I want an interview at U Chicago!!!!

Rawr Chi Town!!! -- PS: homecoming by Kanye will be my pump up song Pre-interview

Overplayed Kanye song. Best Kanye songs are Heard Em Say, I Wonder, The Glory, Through the Wire, and Coldest Winter.

As you can tell by my avator, this is Kanye himself speaking.
 
So I am bit confused. I see people who had complete applications before and after me get rejected. And also people with complete applications before and after me get invited for interviews or put on hold for later review.

I was complete on 7/9 but still haven't heard back yet. I know it has only been two weeks but I thought they do the applications in order, no?

This is one of those times where being on SDN and trying to rationalize how things happen doesn't work out so well. 😎

My suggestion? Stop checking this thread and wait until you get a response.
 
Just got some good news!!! I've been offered an interview!!! I'm on the West Coast and my mom was sleeping in because she has off of work today (which is kind of a rarity) and I ran in shoving the computer in her face... She looked at me like I was stupid... haha... Complete on 07/22... 3.9 GPA/ 36S MCAT... I was kinda surprised given all the other awesome scores that I have seen... But fingers crossed! My first interview invite!!!
 
Any word on when we could expect to hear about student hosts for interviews? I understand things run slower in the summer, especially considering numerous medical students are not present, but I'm curious
 
nu alum here. i know quite a bit about nu, but would like to know more about univ chicago. any ideas on how you would compare the two? also, why did the hospital rating here go down so much as they are way behind nu and rush?
 
Any word on when we could expect to hear about student hosts for interviews? I understand things run slower in the summer, especially considering numerous medical students are not present, but I'm curious

Hear... about actually receiving a host? Or a confirmation for completing the request? You should have received (or you will receive shortly) a confirmation that your request was received. However, we won't begin making requests for host until a week or two before the interview date, so you won't be hearing back until then.
 
Hear... about actually receiving a host? Or a confirmation for completing the request? You should have received (or you will receive shortly) a confirmation that your request was received. However, we won't begin making requests for host until a week or two before the interview date, so you won't be hearing back until then.

I guess my question was both, thanks for covering all the bases
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got marked complete today. How long does it roughly take for them to review my file and make some sort of decision?
 
interview invite this morning! submitted 7/23, wish more schools had this quick of a turnaround time
 
Any word on when we could expect to hear about student hosts for interviews? I understand things run slower in the summer, especially considering numerous medical students are not present, but I'm curious

There are still a lot of med students around. Many of us stick around to do research. In addition the new 1st years will be here before interview season starts.
 
Just got some good news!!! I've been offered an interview!!! I'm on the West Coast and my mom was sleeping in because she has off of work today (which is kind of a rarity) and I ran in shoving the computer in her face... She looked at me like I was stupid... haha... Complete on 07/22... 3.9 GPA/ 36S MCAT... I was kinda surprised given all the other awesome scores that I have seen... But fingers crossed! My first interview invite!!!

I think you're doing just fine, 36 is a great score
 
For the judical history question, does these two counts?
1) got a speeding ticket, appeared in the court, and pleaded guilty.
2) the apartment I lived in claimed I made some damages to the carpet. Clearly, it was only normal wear and they just wanted to blackmail me. They sued me and I lost the case and turned in the money.

I feel 1 counts, but what about #2?
 
For the judical history question, does these two counts?
1) got a speeding ticket, appeared in the court, and pleaded guilty.
2) the apartment I lived in claimed I made some damages to the carpet. Clearly, it was only normal wear and they just wanted to blackmail me. They sued me and I lost the case and turned in the money.

I feel 1 counts, but what about #2?

As has been suggested elsewhere, it always seems that it is better to be safe than sorry. I am not sure that there was anything "criminal" in that second instance, but if it would show up on a background check (and I imagine it would) I would mention it. Again, better safe than sorry!!!
 
Tnanks. Yea, better safe than sorry. I made me remember my third time in the court.
I sued someone because of traffic accident. But I lost the case, should I include that too?
From those experience except for the speeding ticket, I really felt that foreigners (I'm a foreigner) are sometimes in a disavantaged status in the court.

As has been suggested elsewhere, it always seems that it is better to be safe than sorry. I am not sure that there was anything "criminal" in that second instance, but if it would show up on a background check (and I imagine it would) I would mention it. Again, better safe than sorry!!!
 
would it be too late to add this school at this point?

You cannot be serious? Of course it's not too late.

A question for you: I would seriously like to know what led you to ask that question?
 
You cannot be serious? Of course it's not too late.

A question for you: I would seriously like to know what led you to ask that question?

I was assuming it would take a while to get the secondary. I actually got it a few hours ago and submitted! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any estimates on how long it takes after your interview to find out a decision?

Varies widely. Decisions can't go out until 10/15 at the earliest. I think I interviewed at the end of September but didn't get a decision until mid December. I believe the website says 6-8 weeks, but it will take longer or shorter for some.

(sent from my phone)
 
Varies widely. Decisions can't go out until 10/15 at the earliest. I think I interviewed at the end of September but didn't get a decision until mid December. I believe the website says 6-8 weeks, but it will take longer or shorter for some.

(sent from my phone)
Yeah, I was hoping to get an early decision so I could avoid some interviews at the end of September (I'm interviewing here in early September), but I guess I have no choice.
 
Yeah, I was hoping to get an early decision so I could avoid some interviews at the end of September (I'm interviewing here in early September), but I guess I have no choice.

Yeah, you'll likely have to wait a bit. I believe the committee only reviews 10-20 applicants at each of its meetings, so even though you're pretty early there will be a few interview days in front of you. Who knows, though.
 
I apologize if this is located somewhere in the thread or their website, but roughly how many interviewees are there at each interview?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.