2012-2013 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you have your home address listed as your preferred address? Or was your college one listed but they sent it to your home address anyway?

My home address was listed as my preferred. I just never got around to changing it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just checked my mail in case it got something early, but nothing yet. I live in Lincoln and mail is normally delivered around 4-5pm here. Crossing my fingers...

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you guys interview? I am basically wondering how long it takes for Nebraska to let students know if they are accepted or not.

Got the good news here today too, so pumped! Yes the acceptance packet comes in a large envelope. At the sept 7 interview the admissions staff mentioned that if you wanted your decision to be mailed somewhere other than your address on the app, you needed to change it with them. Looking forward to hearing more acceptances and getting to know the class!

Got a letter today thanking me for my patience and understanding in the consideration process...basically a deferment to the general pool. If this isn't limbo I don't know what is. More waiting, waiting, waiting....:corny:

This just stinks...lol

Got a letter today thanking me for my patience and understanding in the consideration process...basically a deferment to the general pool. If this isn't limbo I don't know what is. More waiting, waiting, waiting....:corny:

This just stinks...lol

Thanks for the update! Best of luck to you :luck: Hopefully the waiting will all be worth it

r
GNE24, your MDapp profile is so impressive and the fact that you are a URM - I am scared to death how competitive this year would be!!

Well thank you. I'm trying hard not to take their decision personally. The letter specifies that "we have not come to a final decision on your application. Your file is active and will be reviewed on or before March 15th for consideration". This is why I mentioned limbo, because I won't know for another 6 months whats going on with my file. Man this is gonna suck so bad.

When do they review files again???? lol.

Last edited:
Man, now I dont even want to watch the Husker-Wisconsin game. Good luck to the rest of you EDP'ers and normal applicants. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found this thread and thought I should join. Got my acceptance letter yesterday in the mail. Good luck to everyone who applied! So excited to meet everyone who will be at UNMC next year!

OOS. Rejected. Appeal Letter Sent. Rejected

To those who have already received acceptances (congrats btw), when did you interview? I am just wondering how long it takes Nebraska to let applicants know if they are accepted or not.

To those who have already received acceptances (congrats btw), when did you interview? I am just wondering how long it takes Nebraska to let applicants know if they are accepted or not.

They don't begin reviewing files until December. Also, the files aren't reviewed in the order of the date that the interview occurred. I wish the turnaround was a lot faster.

They don't begin reviewing files until December. Also, the files aren't reviewed in the order of the date that the interview occurred. I wish the turnaround was a lot faster.

I agree, but when you think about it if you are applying to multiple schools and completing multiple secondaries time seems to go by much quicker. October will be half over by next week. Isn't that insane???

I agree, but when you think about it if you are applying to multiple schools and completing multiple secondaries time seems to go by much quicker. October will be half over by next week. Isn't that insane???

But if you want to go here, and they gave you your acceptance in two weeks, you wouldn't have to complete anymore secondaries, travel anywhere, and have the peace of mind that you got accepted :)

Any current students care to comment on the class cohesiveness during M1 and M2? The fourth year that talked to my group during the interview said it was pretty cut-throat, and I'm wondering if his was an isolated experience.

Any current students care to comment on the class cohesiveness during M1 and M2? The fourth year that talked to my group during the interview said it was pretty cut-throat, and I'm wondering if his was an isolated experience.

My M4 said the opposite. She said that there were a group of people who were hyper competitive that no one really like, but everyone else got a long great.

Anyone else interviewing November 2? This is my first interview ever and I'm very excited!

My M4 said the opposite. She said that there were a group of people who were hyper competitive that no one really like, but everyone else got a long great.

Same thing I heard from mine. There is a group of gunners, then there is everyone else. I was somewhat of "gunner" at UNL, but it was out of the joy of learning. It's really hard for me to understand the concept of competition in terms of academics.

This has probably been asked before, but how receptive is UNMC to appeals for OOS students, and will our appeal actually be read?

This has probably been asked before, but how receptive is UNMC to appeals for OOS students, and will our appeal actually be read?

From what I've gathered, they do read your appeal and consider it. May I ask your stats? For OOS applicants, you can't be an average applicant unfortunately... Good luck in your appeal and your other applications! Give it your best shot and see what happens. You never know!

gpa, sgpa ~3.7, tons and tons of experience, and a little lacking mcat but gave it a shot :)

gpa, sgpa ~3.7, tons and tons of experience, and a little lacking mcat but gave it a shot :)

Good luck! MCAT isn't everything so hopefully they'll be impressed by your other characteristics like extracurricular activities, personal statement, etc.

Good luck! MCAT isn't everything so hopefully they'll be impressed by your other characteristics like extracurricular activities, personal statement, etc.
thanks! best of luck to you too!

This is turning out to be a long wait! Great school.

Agreed! From what I understood, they don't start reviewing applications (of those interviewed) until December. And they don't review them in order of interview date, so we will find out between December and March. Is that right?

Agreed! From what I understood, they don't start reviewing applications (of those interviewed) until December. And they don't review them in order of interview date, so we will find out between December and March. Is that right?

I know the first part is right, but I haven't heard anything about the ordering of the review process. If not by date, how do they order them? Physical attractiveness, obviously...

I know the first part is right, but I haven't heard anything about the ordering of the review process. If not by date, how do they order them? Physical attractiveness, obviously...

Well obviously... haha. That's a good question. Maybe they say that so ppl don't freak out when they don't get accepted right away. I have no clue tho.

Well obviously... haha. That's a good question. Maybe they say that so ppl don't freak out when they don't get accepted right away. I have no clue tho.

I know that they have a different process, so lets just hope that October and November can be over in a flash. I don't even want to submit any other supplemental apps because it just costs way too much for me to travel anywhere else on my budget. I would assume they review their Nebraskan applicants first though, like all other state schools.
From what I got from the staff they take time to verify activities and experiences, along with measuring how well the interview represents the applicant's file. Since this is the case I'd rather wait and be in a class that has been verified as genuine rather than superficial. Good luck to all of you, OOS and IS alike. :)

I know that they have a different process, so lets just hope that October and November can be over in a flash. I don't even want to submit any other supplemental apps because it just costs way too much for me to travel anywhere else on my budget. I would assume they review their Nebraskan applicants first though, like all other state schools.
From what I got from the staff they take time to verify activities and experiences, along with measuring how well the interview represents the applicant's file. Since this is the case I'd rather wait and be in a class that has been verified as genuine rather than superficial. Good luck to all of you, OOS and IS alike. :)

Okay, that makes more sense. I'm IS so that's good. I have the same issue with applying and money. I would have applied to a lot more schools, but I just can't afford to with the cost of traveling and the like.

Simply put, this school was amazing.

Too bad I'm OOS and in the dreaded 20-22 category ha but not going to give up hope of being a Husker again.

Too bad I'm OOS and in the dreaded 20-22 category ha but not going to give up hope of being a Husker again.

Couldn't agree more. Good luck man--fellow OOS'er with high hopes.

Nothing is impossible! I'm sure you are a well qualified individual. "Being a husker again"? Are you an OOS student that went to UNL?

"Being a husker again"? Are you an OOS student that went to UNL?

I was born in Nebraska and lived there for years before moving away, but not long enough to be considered IS still unfortunately ha.

How certain is this statistic? I fall in this category, but I'm in-state. I actually called during the summer and they said it it just coincidence that this happens. Supposedly, it takes people longer to get into medical school now so most people who do get in are a little bit older. Can anyone comment if this is a determinant or not? I'm kind of worried that I won't get in just because I'm 22.

I hope it's just a coincidence, but it seems weird that only 6 people under 23 have matriculated since 2006 while 30 matriculated in 2005 alone.

I hope it's just a coincidence, but it seems weird that only 6 people under 23 have matriculated since 2006 while 30 matriculated in 2005 alone.

Yeah, exactly. I feel like they have a bias against younger applicants. I don't think it's fair for them to only reject someone that young just because they were able to finish undergrad in time to apply so young. I guess we'll find out lol.

Yeah, exactly. I feel like they have a bias against younger applicants. I don't think it's fair for them to only reject someone that young just because they were able to finish undergrad in time to apply so young. I guess we'll find out lol.

In my interview I brought up how beneficial it's been to be in the working world for several years and how many young doctors I know tend to lack a little perspective from going straight through the educational path. The interviewer couldn't agree more and stated that the dean of the...hmmm...school or admissions...thinks everyone should work for a year before med school.

So, if you're young but have a lot of work history then maybe you have nothing to worry about. If you once had a summer job, then maybe you do--who knows? Just FYI.

In my interview I brought up how beneficial it's been to be in the working world for several years and how many young doctors I know tend to lack a little perspective from going straight through the educational path. The interviewer couldn't agree more and stated that the dean of the...hmmm...school or admissions...thinks everyone should work for a year before med school.

So, if you're young but have a lot of work history then maybe you have nothing to worry about. If you once had a summer job, then maybe you do--who knows? Just FYI.

That basically sucks. Lol.

That basically sucks. Lol.

I really have no interest in discouraging you. I'm just trying to shed light on possible explanations for the age demographic trend at UNMC. From my experience, doctors who have had to work just to eat at some point 1) complain less about long hours and 2) are not as big of douche bags. It sounded like some at UNMC came to the same conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.