2012 Official Preallo Political Discussion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think Romney is handling himself pretty well. Keep in mind that Joe Public people will be impressed if he does anything beyond pander to the Tea Party nuts. That's probably their perception of him right now.

(sent from my phone)

Members don't see this ad.

Random question on politics & doctors: Are more middle-aged doctors democrats, republicans, or roughly 50/50 split?

I think Romney is handling himself pretty well. Keep in mind that Joe Public people will be impressed if he does anything beyond pander to the Tea Party nuts. That's probably their perception of him right now.

(sent from my phone)

Really, I don't think any of this is meaningful if there isn't fact-checking seen afterward. I'd advise anyone to check out politifact afterward. Unfortunately most won't, and really this whole thing is essentially a flimsy spectacle to them, and those who haven't already decided will vote based on stupid reasons such as poorly perceived "debate success". America.

Members don't see this ad :)

(sent from my phone)

+1000

And Ryan versus Biden will be a total embarassment

Random question on politics & doctors: Are more middle-aged doctors democrats, republicans, or roughly 50/50 split?

Probably mostly liberal in academic circles, mostly conservative for private practice physicians.

Edit: painting with very broad strokes, but this has been my experience.

(sent from my phone)

Romney/Ryan 2102.I do not want Obama another four years, and I do not like Romney, I voting on the better of the two bads.

BTW, before people get to talking. When Romney said that "50% of doctors will stop taking medicare", he's talking about the medicare cuts that get threatened every year, but always get delayed, and not anything in Obamacare.

Probably mostly liberal in academic circles, mostly conservative for private practice physicians.

Edit: painting with very broad strokes, but this has been my experience.

(sent from my phone)

Seconded.

To be honest, I think Romney is doing far better than expected.

Then again, my expectations were on par with a brushfire.

I can't even tell what Romney is offering. All I hear is either get rid of Obamacare or just conflicting solutions. Even Romney and his running mate have disagreed in the past on this issue.

Yes Obama has had his fair share of screw ups, but Romney is a gaffe machine. I just can't take the republican nominee very seriously anymore.

BTW ikillmcatz, I think you're overgeneralizing private practice docs and what exactly they are complaining about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it that Romney isn't consistent with his position about anything? He has changed his mind and vocalized it publicly so many times it is ridiculous. Why does he want to repeal the ACA when he put in place a fairly similar program in his state? His condescending statement in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2gvY2wqI7M is offensive to many hard working Americans that work really hard to survive and that don't feel entitle to anything.

Yes Obama has had his fair share of screw ups, but Romney is a gaffe machine. I just can't take the republican nominee very seriously anymore.

It took you this long to not take Romney seriously?

Murrrrica

american_flag-971804.jpeg

Can't believe both candidates wore the same color shirt tonight...

Haha, it took me this long to confirm my suspicions.

Should've voted for Santorum.

America's thoughts today:

Romney's American flag lapel is bigger, he's obviously more American. Vote Republican.

Why is it that Romney isn't consistent with his position about anything? He has changed his mind and vocalized it publicly so many times it is ridiculous. Why does he want to repeal the ACA when he put in place a fairly similar program in his state? His condescending statement in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2gvY2wqI7M is offensive to many hard working Americans that work really hard to survive and that don't feel entitle to anything.

Dude, people change their minds all the time. Didn't Obama flip his views on gay marriage from when he was elected?

Oh right, he did:

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_new...olution-of-obamas-stance-on-gay-marriage?lite

I do enjoy the ridiculous fanboyism of Obama supporters, though. Obama can do anything, but if Romney does the same thing.. he takes fire for it.

Both of these guys will say anything and bend to anything to get elected. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking one is more moraled than the other.

Dude, people change their minds all the time. Didn't Obama flip his views on gay marriage from when he was elected?

Oh right, he did:

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_new...olution-of-obamas-stance-on-gay-marriage?lite

I do enjoy the ridiculous fanboyism of Obama supporters, though. Obama can do anything, but if Romney does the same thing.. he takes fire for it.

Dude, I think people change their mind all the time. Obama changing his view on gay marriage was more about political strategy, not on what he believed. Romney just doesn't have the consistency that is somewhat expected for a presidential candidate. I am no Obama supporter, but I think that the majority of people in this country would benefit more with Obama than with the leadership of Romney cutting taxes.

Both of these guys will say anything and bend to anything to get elected. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking one is more moraled than the other.

Agreed. It just boggles my mind that so many dems will drink the Obama koolaid. How many times tonight has Obama said something along the lines of "My plan will do this.."? What happened to the past 4 years that we elected him for? You can't sell people on the same ting twice.

Well, I guess you can, but only a fool will believe that.

Agreed. It just boggles my mind that so many dems will drink the Obama koolaid. How many times tonight has Obama said something along the lines of "My plan will do this.."? What happened to the past 4 years that we elected him for? You can't sell people on the same ting twice.

50% of that time we were in gridlock.

I think if Romney was middle class, he would commit suicide haha

Very surprised at how well Romney did.

Also, somewhat relevant, lol @ how the new lil wayne mixtape says vote Romney.

Yeah I also remember the time when there was no such thing as a system of checks and balances and a president could do whatever the hell he wants because not only is he the executive branch, but also the legislative and judicial so when he says he wants to make a law, that's basically all it takes.

I can't even tell what Romney is offering. All I hear is either get rid of Obamacare or just conflicting solutions. Even Romney and his running mate have disagreed in the past on this issue.

That is because he is the most ambiguous candidate ever.

Very surprised at how well Romney did.

I'm not going to lie, Romney roasted Obama tonight. That was not my expectation. Couldn't have gone much better for Mitt.

Not voting either way (my state always goes and always will go the same way either way). Just a neutral observation, though I tend to lean liberal.

Bush destroyed the financial stability of the country with many tax cuts, acquiring more national debt. This despite the fact that when he took office there was a surplus of money. What Obama did was more of damage control although the national debt increased substantially.

Romney did ight.

I normally support GOP, but not this year. Obama 2012. 'Merkah.

watched the debate tonight...I'd say romney won for economy, obama won for education( even though this wasn't a main topic) , and they almost tie on healthcare...

my vote falls on whatever is best for healthcare...I.e, neither of them..wish ron paul was there

I'm not going to lie, Romney roasted Obama tonight. That was not my expectation. Couldn't have gone much better for Mitt.

Not voting either way (my state always goes and always will go the same way either way). Just a neutral observation, though I tend to lean liberal.

Agreed. Romney was way better composed. Obama wasn't ready for it.

Honestly, across the board Romney was at top of his game. He knew what he was talking about, did it with strength and dignity. Demonstrated strong leadership. Had Obama on the defensive. Had good command of facts.

Hands down Romney won this one.

I continue, however, to be astonished at support for Obama.

What debate? If Weezy (President Carter) says vote for Romney, that's all I need to hear.

Let's see...someone who appears to give a **** about people being able to see a doctor, versus a hyperreligious, anti-woman, anti-gay, elitist? Is this actually a question? -_-

You deserve a kiss.

Romney did well today, and Obama can improve later. For sure, both Romney and Obama are better debaters than all of us here on SDN. Imagine a debate between Romney/Obama and trolls here... perfect troll spray.

Either way, Obama will win re-election, but the Republicans will take control of the Senate (and retain the House).

What debate? If Weezy (President Carter) says vote for Romney, that's all I need to hear.

I don't know if he actually says it, but DJ Drama and Nicki Minaj say don't vote Obama/vote Romney on Dedication 4. Presumably Weezy agrees if he okay'd it on his mixtape.

Romney did well today, and Obama can improve later. For sure, both Romney and Obama are better debaters than all of us here on SDN. Imagine a debate between Romney/Obama and trolls here... perfect troll spray.

Either way, Obama will win re-election, but the Republicans will take control of the Senate (and retain the House).

I would destroy Obama in a debate. :rolleyes:

The one thing that really stood out tonight was Obama's statement about the Cleveland Clinic. The second he said that i checked and sure enough Cleveland Clinic is a private healthcare system. That allowed Romney to come in and praise the power of private business. Both candidates repeatedly mixed up the definition of cost and price. The only way cost can be lowered is by either increasing efficiency or denying payment. Obama's version of lowering cost is by removing administrative costs, while Romney's method is to allow private enterprise to create a more efficient market. Time and time again it has been proven that allowing people to make a profit will lower the cost by driving efficiency up. Look at every single sector in this country such as clothing, electronics, and furniture. Over time the cost goes down, while the product gets better. The government can lower the PRICE by forcing insurance companies to provide x, y, and z while placing caps on the price, but the cost will not be lowered. Also while Obama denies that the independent panel will limit healthcare, i find it hard to imagine what it would do when it is faced with the task of capping the cost.

Also, the main problem isn't the president, but Congress. Why should the president be restricted to two terms, but Congress can be re-elected indefinitely? My idea is to force a 12-year limit for all congresspeople. Congress is responsible for the economy and jobs, not the president.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career.

unfortunately SDN doesn't come with a quiet dude that you can talk over and ignore the entire time.

milton1.jpg