You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
i submitted on 6/10 and was verified last week but still have not received a secondary. I think boston is just taking its time.
+1
I was verified 6/10 and have not received the secondary yet. Hopefully it will come tomorrow. 🙂Has anyone who was verified early by AMCAS NOT received the secondary invite yet? It does BUSM screen?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted 6/10, was verified on 6/28, and received the secondary on 7/3 around midnight! There are quite a few steps before you can actually view the secondary, though.
How do you receive secondaries? Is it by email? I'm not verified but several of the schools I've applied to have people saying they aren't verified but are receiving secondaries, so I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
I got an email. You have to register first so you get a couple o emails from BU about the secondary.
What types of courses count for humanities?
I know philosophy does, what about government, fine arts or special studies?
I know philosophy does, what about government, fine arts or special studies?
If I am not mistaken, BU does an initial screen.
Quick question, do you have to have all of your letters uploaded before BU sends you their secondary?
Quick question, do you have to have all of your letters uploaded before BU sends you their secondary?
If I am not mistaken, BU does an initial screen.
Quick question, do you have to have all of your letters uploaded before BU sends you their secondary?
Nope! But I think you need to be verified.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I took two semesters of Orgo lecture and two semester of Orgo lab non-concurrently. Does that still qualify as Lecture with Lab semesters? Technically they're related but different course designations, and if I input it as is then my chemistry requirement isn't met.
Can anyone comment on if BU screens and how stringent the screen is. I'm applying with a 4.0/37 so I should make it through, but I'm International so you never know...
i have extremely similar stats and i got one.Can anyone comment on if BU screens and how stringent the screen is. I'm applying with a 4.0/37 so I should make it through, but I'm International so you never know...
Does anyone know if BUSM is rolling admissions or not?
According to their website, everyone gets a secondary. No pre-screen.
Same thing happened to me. However, I've been marked complete at UVA and GW, so maybe only Boston U cares about letterhead/signature? Not sure what's happening.Disaster. My application is on hold because of a missing signature.
Same thing happened to me. However, I've been marked complete at UVA and GW, so maybe only Boston U cares about letterhead/signature? Not sure what's happening.
Amazing user name
Just finished my final drafts for the three essays, but I'm going to go to sleep and take a fresh look at it tomorrow morning. Hopefully submitted by noon. Good luck, everyone!
when does BU start reading?
Same thing happened to me. However, I've been marked complete at UVA and GW, so maybe only Boston U cares about letterhead/signature? Not sure what's happening.
Yeah I don't think they all prioritize it to the same degree. And I second the user name shout out.
Anyone not do either of the essays? I have a pretty intense autobiography along with my committee letter so I really don't think I have anything else to say.
Submitted 6/10 and verified 6/20 and still no secondary. Have the average MCAT according to MSAR and an above average GPA. One of my LOR writer is a new faculty. Maybe this person didn't upload the letter head? How do you guys know about the letter head?
Submitted 6/10 and verified 6/20 and still no secondary. 34 MCAT and 3.8+ GPA. Could I have possibly been screened out. I know Boston has a lot of applicants so do they do some screening before sending out secondaries?
Directly from their website: "BUSM does not pre-screen information from AMCAS. All applicants indicating interest in BUSM on their initial AMCAS application will receive a secondary application from us in due time"
C
Caveman7
Submitted 6/10 and verified 6/20 and still no secondary. Have the average MCAT according to MSAR and an above average GPA. One of my LOR writer is a new faculty. Maybe this person didn't upload the letter head? How do you guys know about the letter head?
I have literally the same scores and was verified later. Just got a secondary 15 minutes ago.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have literally the same scores and was verified later. Just got a secondary 15 minutes ago.
What's up with that?
Just stayed up all night to submit the application after a few final touchups, and now I can't because I'm not verified yet 🙁.
Submitted yesterday! What a weird feeling.
Anyone not do either of the essays? I have a pretty intense autobiography along with my committee letter so I really don't think I have anything else to say.
I've been debating this as well. But, I really think that my personal statement and my letters say it all, and if I try to write another essay it'll just end up being repetitive and might annoy them. Pretty sure I'm just going to leave them blank. Have you decided what you're going to do?
I've been debating this as well. But, I really think that my personal statement and my letters say it all, and if I try to write another essay it'll just end up being repetitive and might annoy them. Pretty sure I'm just going to leave them blank. Have you decided what you're going to do?
I decided to leave both optional essays blank as well. For most schools, I would use this to explain being a reapplicant or what I've done since getting my bachelor's, but they covered that in separate sections - nothing else to say without being redundant. I'm sure this is why they make them optional. Good luck

I've been debating this as well. But, I really think that my personal statement and my letters say it all, and if I try to write another essay it'll just end up being repetitive and might annoy them. Pretty sure I'm just going to leave them blank. Have you decided what you're going to do?
Directed them to my autobiography in the shorter one and left the main optional essay blank. Hopefully that wasn't a poor decision!
I thought BUSM made it very clear not to write another essay unless you had something absolutely imperative to say, so I chose to leave it blank.
Also, I think it speaks well about a person if they don't feel compelled to unnecessarily answer every optional prompt. It shows the ability to use their judgement. It's probably a good way BUSM uses screens out the overly neurotic... but I could be wrong!
Also, I think it speaks well about a person if they don't feel compelled to unnecessarily answer every optional prompt. It shows the ability to use their judgement. It's probably a good way BUSM uses screens out the overly neurotic... but I could be wrong!
Is anyone else having difficulty uploading a picture? It keeps saying "The image was not saved because it does not meet the size requirements." I can't figure out how to make it work.
Is anyone else having difficulty uploading a picture? It keeps saying "The image was not saved because it does not meet the size requirements." I can't figure out how to make it work.
Resize the image to the dimensions they call for (2x2 I think) and it should work.
I just started my secondary application and under the letter of recommendation section it says:
"No Health Professions Advisory Committee letter is available to me for the following reason(s): Use the additional space provided to elaborate on your reason beyond what is provided in the drop-down menu. 2000 character limit, approximately 400 words"
My school does not have a health care professions committee and under the drop menu I indicated this. Do I still have to provide further explanation in the text box?
"No Health Professions Advisory Committee letter is available to me for the following reason(s): Use the additional space provided to elaborate on your reason beyond what is provided in the drop-down menu. 2000 character limit, approximately 400 words"
My school does not have a health care professions committee and under the drop menu I indicated this. Do I still have to provide further explanation in the text box?
I opted for brevity on this one. My college also didn't have a premed committee, but any explanation I tried to write was just a longer way of saying "my college doesn't have a premed committee." I figured the space was mostly intended for nontrads with letters from employers/military/etc instead of professors.I just started my secondary application and under the letter of recommendation section it says:
"No Health Professions Advisory Committee letter is available to me for the following reason(s): Use the additional space provided to elaborate on your reason beyond what is provided in the drop-down menu. 2000 character limit, approximately 400 words"
My school does not have a health care professions committee and under the drop menu I indicated this. Do I still have to provide further explanation in the text box?
Resize the image to the dimensions they call for (2x2 I think) and it should work.
I also had trouble and I resized it to 400x400 pixels (2"x2"). It uploaded, but the preview looks super compressed and not that easy to look at. Anyone else have this issue? Will they see it the same way I do? I assume so, but can't figure out how to make it show up non-compressed.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also had trouble and I resized it to 400x400 pixels (2"x2"). It uploaded, but the preview looks super compressed and not that easy to look at. Anyone else have this issue? Will they see it the same way I do? I assume so, but can't figure out how to make it show up non-compressed.
To get rid of the squashie pic I would make the dimensions 400 pixels for the lower number, and lock it to keep the proportions the same. It will still fall within the size requirements and you won't be smashing your face.
So, what's the over/under for 2ndary apps submitted to BUSM so far? Any guesses?
omg this grid thing is ridic....i hate being in a quarter system.
Does anyone have any advice on this?
+🙁
If I am waiting for my MCAT score to come out in the next week or so, and add BU to my list of schools on the primary app, how long will it take till I receive the secondaries? I didn't add schools except one, because I wanted to wait for a score
Also, how long after I submit my secondary do I get fully verified?
Thanks!
Also, how long after I submit my secondary do I get fully verified?
Thanks!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K