-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Duke University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Rejected via status change, complete mid September. I share neil's sentiment... Sucks, but the world keeps turning!
This. Same here- when were you complete?Complete late September. No Status Change yet. I feel like doom is eminent.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This. Same here- when were you complete?
I was complete 9/26. Still screening.
Are they done offering interviews? Is that why this mass rejection is happening?
Yup, imminent, that's embarrassing. I bet I never make that mistake again.You mean imminent lol.
9/29... still no change.This. Same here- when were you complete?
I guess we get to live on a prayer until after the holidays?
I think ppl earlier in the thread commented that Duke doesn't accept updates post interview. Is that the general consensus?
I think ppl earlier in the thread commented that Duke doesn't accept updates post interview. Is that the general consensus?
Yes. they informed us not to update them at our interview if i remember correctly
I know Duke doesn't accept post-interview updates, but does this apply to letters as well? Duke is absolutely my first choice and I wanted to let them know that.
Finally rejected via status change today.
Now, we will never know what we could have been, Duke. I had big plans for us.
Complete 10/20
Now, we will never know what we could have been, Duke. I had big plans for us.
Complete 10/20
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The MSAR says they usually interview 700+ applicants but did anyone else hear that they only interviewed around 550 for the most previous year? Also, does anyone know if they're going to accept less this year since they accepted 14 more than usual last year?
The MSAR says they usually interview 700+ applicants but did anyone else hear that they only interviewed around 550 for the most previous year? Also, does anyone know if they're going to accept less this year since they accepted 14 more than usual last year?
Yea, the dean said they interviewed 550 last year. My student host said that NO ONE was taken off the waitlist last year, a reason why the class size was slightly larger than usual.
The MSAR says they usually interview 700+ applicants but did anyone else hear that they only interviewed around 550 for the most previous year? Also, does anyone know if they're going to accept less this year since they accepted 14 more than usual last year?
.
Last edited:
.
.
Last edited:
Where did you read that? Is that even legal? I don't think they can force us to fill out an evaluation like that by holding our decision hostage.Just realized the admissions committee won't vote on our app until we complete the post-interview survey. Did I just wreck my chances at Duke?!?
.
Last edited:
I just checked the portal and found the same notification. Now I know why I won't be accepted...I saw it when I logged into the DukeMed application portal. It said something along the lines of "Your application will not be forwarded to the admissions committee until this survey is complete" and then a link to the survey.
They are non-rolling and you're probably not the only one who made that mistake. Seems a bit ridiculous tbh.I just checked the portal and found the same notification. Now I know why I won't be accepted...
They are non-rolling and you're probably not the only one who made that mistake. Seems a bit ridiculous tbh.
they told us several times during the interview day that the post interview survey was required to be considered for admission. That is something everyone should have been incredibly aware of.
they told us several times during the interview day that the post interview survey was required to be considered for admission. That is something everyone should have been incredibly aware of.
+1. I don't know what the fuss is all about. They literally could not have made it more clear
Well, I guess someone was zoning out.they told us several times during the interview day that the post interview survey was required to be considered for admission. That is something everyone should have been incredibly aware of.
lol, I interviewed back in November, and I just filled out my post-interview survey. Also, not once was I nor the rest of the interviewees informed that the survey was required for the admissions process. They just said please fill it out because we want feedback; never a mention of it was required. I wonder how this will impact decisions since I highly doubt they sit down in March and make all the decisions then. I feel that they make decisions as they go and just release them all at one time in March.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
During my interview day, there wasn't the slightest hint it was required. I very clearly remember someone saying, "We just want to see what you guys thought of the interview day". Nothing about it being required whatsoever.
+1
Whether or not it was verbally made clear that the survey was/is required - it is each applicants responsibility to check on the progress of their candidacy... and the main log-in page states that an application will not be forwarded until it is complete. No point crying over spilled milk now... just get it done asap and keep in mind it does take a good half hour.
iPhone
iPhone
Whether or not it was verbally made clear that the survey was/is required - it is each applicants responsibility to check on the progress of their candidacy... and the main log-in page states that an application will not be forwarded until it is complete. No point crying over spilled milk now... just get it done asap and keep in mind it does take a good half hour.
iPhone
Duke sent an email, the day after the interview, asking for "help by completing the survey....." Every other school I interviewed sent the same email but I didn't bother to fill it out. Not once in the Duke email did they mention that it was required. They need to get their act together. Also, the survey took me, literally, 4 minutes, not a half hour. lol
Duke sent an email, the day after the interview, asking for "help by completing the survey....." Every other school I interviewed sent the same email but I didn't bother to fill it out. Not once in the Duke email did they mention that it was required. They need to get their act together. Also, the survey took me, literally, 4 minutes, not a half hour. lol
Your right it's terrible. We should all just withdraw to show them how we feel.
Your right it's terrible. We should all just withdraw to show them how we feel.
You should go ahead and do that! I am just going to wait until March.
lol, I interviewed back in November, and I just filled out my post-interview survey. Also, not once was I nor the rest of the interviewees informed that the survey was required for the admissions process. They just said please fill it out because we want feedback; never a mention of it was required. I wonder how this will impact decisions since I highly doubt they sit down in March and make all the decisions then. I feel that they make decisions as they go and just release them all at one time in March.
I have actually heard that this is the case.
My understanding is that the non-rolling schools basically "rank" everyone after the interview and then go back and review/finalize decisions for all applicants right before releasing them all.I have actually heard that this is the case.
Still silence...completed mid September. Any idea when Duke stops sending out IIs?
Hey guys! Have an interview late in the cycle (actually their last day to interview period), but I think they mainly do ranking until March to give all interviewees a chance. If anyone needs help with hotels, transportation, food, directions to admissions, etc, I can give some advice. I've worked in the hospital/clinics for a few years and both parents are alums/faculty. I live in Durham/Chapel Hill. My main piece of advice is to try and find a ride or use a taxi - Durham is a difficult place to navigate on public transit, so if you can afford a rental car or can stay at a student's place, I highly recommend it. Do not expect to find a taxi randomly in the street - this ain't NYC!! This is also a school where it is 100% necessary to have your own car while attending to go to clinics around the state.
I left Duke with the impression that something great is happening there. I only hop they allow me to be a part of it.
Both of these were great services. No complaints here.Definitely use the suggested millennium hotel and the ltd transportation that the interview confirmation email contains from duke.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The woman who operates LTD is incredibly nice. If you get three or more ppl then it's only $10/person - up to 7 ppl total. Ask around at lunch to see who else would like to share a ride.
I don't know what you're all talking about, but Duke has been receptive to updates. Just send them an email.
.
Last edited:
3 weeks. Duke is my #1 choice and I have no acceptances (one other hold until March as well). Sweating bullets....
Is there an official release date?
I believe the official release date is march 3Is there an official release date?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K