2013-2014 Duke University Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Silly question... but could someone who's scheduled their interview here tell me how to make the lunch selection? The interview confirmation email said "Please also log into your DukeMed Interactive Web Site Personal Account System (PAS) to make your lunch selection," but I don't see anywhere to make the selection when I sign in to the supplemental application website.

I think that's only if you have a special diet they need to take into consideration. Also, in my confirmation email it said to email Jeanine Holland.

As silly as this is, I'm wondering the same thing too (as a vegetarian 👍).

Also, I wouldn't put vegetarianism past the guy with kale as his avatar 🙄
 
Silly question... but could someone who's scheduled their interview here tell me how to make the lunch selection? The interview confirmation email said "Please also log into your DukeMed Interactive Web Site Personal Account System (PAS) to make your lunch selection," but I don't see anywhere to make the selection when I sign in to the supplemental application website.

I also didn't see anywhere to select a lunch option. I just figured it was a line from past interview cycles that they forgot to remove from this one and didn't bother too much about it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else been having trouble logging in? For the last week, I have not been able to get in - my screen stays on the "Submitting, please wait..."
 
Has anyone complete after July gotten an II (non-PCLT)? It seems all the recent ones are still to people who were complete on the first few days.
 
Late but secondary submitted and complete today!

This secondary was tough but I'm finally pleased with my essays. Did not do an optional essay.

Hoping for an interview!

Good luck everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Late but secondary submitted and complete today!

This secondary was tough but I'm finally pleased with my essays. Did not do an optional essay.

Good luck everyone!

Hey good for you regardless! I held onto this one for a while also - better to submit something you like and feel like you have a real chance rather than submit crap and get shot down early. 👍
 
Hey good for you regardless! I held onto this one for a while also - better to submit something you like and feel like you have a real chance rather than submit crap and get shot down early. 👍

Agreed! I've spoke with the dean and vice dean of admission and they constantly reiterated how important the secondary essays are in the selection process here.

I'm so excited! Hoping for an interview!
 
although duke technically has a non-rolling process, does anyone know if it is internally rolling? just trying to figure out if there is an advantage for people who interviewed earlier.
 
although duke technically has a non-rolling process, does anyone know if it is internally rolling? just trying to figure out if there is an advantage for people who interviewed earlier.
The only people who would be privy to that information would be members of the Duke Admissions Commiittee. Of course, when they send out their first wave of acceptances on 3/3/14, they obviously and necessarily will have made the vast majority of those acceptance decisions well in advance of that date.
 
Sorry if this has been answered but I am working off app and search doesn't work well. Has or will Duke reject people pre interview?
 
Sorry if this has been answered but I am working off app and search doesn't work well. Has or will Duke reject people pre interview?


Wait, do you mean to ask do they reject pre secondary? (because your question sounds like its implying that if Duke did not reject people pre interview then everyone gets an interview). I could be reading into this too much lol
 
I am very excited to interview at Duke soon. Do you guys know how many applicants Duke intend to interview? I heard they are cutting down the number of applicants they are interviewing this year.
 
Last edited:
Wait, do you mean to ask do they reject pre secondary? (because your question sounds like its implying that if Duke did not reject people pre interview then everyone gets an interview). I could be reading into this too much lol
Duke does not reject pre-secondary. However, they do reject post-secondary/pre-interview. I'm also pretty certain that Duke doesn't reject post-interview until usually the day after acceptances are sent in early March.
 
I am very excited to interview at Duke. Do you guys know how many applicants Duke intends to interview? I heard they are cutting down the number of applicants they are interviewing this year.
Because Duke now solely uses the MMI (Multi-Mini Interview) format, this only allows a maximum of around 500 or so due to logistical reasons. Of those 500, almost half receive an acceptance. This is what I gather from last year's forum.
 
That's incorrect.

They interview 765 and accept 240 out of 5,000 applicants.
That number is from entering class of 2012. For the entering class of 2013, MMI was the sole interview structure for the first time, and I know they interviewed less than 525 people last year (from a current student). The acceptances were relatively the same and matriculants were a bit higher.
 
Hey guys,
Duke is my absolute dream school, but my GPA dropped by senior year of college. I have a sibling who recently graduated from Duke and is now doing residency.

I've quite nervous after looking at MSAR. I'm not planning on applying to Duke until I beast my MCAT and work on even more research and clinical experience (I just graduated from college). My sGPA is a 3.76 and cGPA is a 3.59. Should I still apply to Duke at some point in the future? What if I do extremely well on my MCAT? I'm confident that I will be accepted to other medical schools, but my vision is too focused on Duke since I love everything about it, especially the clinical research.

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
Duke is my absolute dream school, but my GPA dropped by senior year of college. I have a sibling who recently graduated from Duke and is now doing residency.

I've quite nervous after looking at MSAR. I'm not planning on applying to Duke until I beast my MCAT and work on even more research and clinical experience (I just graduated from college). My sGPA is a 3.76 and cGPA is a 3.59. Should I still apply to Duke at some point in the future? What if I do extremely well on my MCAT? I'm confident that I will be accepted to other medical schools, but my vision is too focused on Duke since I love everything about it, especially the clinical research.

Thank you.
Apply! In my opinion, the potential benefit of attending your dream school far outweighs the monetary cost of applying and the time spent filling out this secondary. Do put a lot of effort into the secondary because Duke really does care about your story.
 
Interview invite via email this morning! Was complete pretty much as early as possible. Interviewing October 28th!!!

So excited about this one!
 
Interview invite via email this morning! Was complete pretty much as early as possible. Interviewing October 28th!!!

So excited about this one!

How did you schedule such an early date? Not that it matters much since it's non-rolling, but I only had December dates available when I was invited recently.
 
How did you schedule such an early date? Not that it matters much since it's non-rolling, but I only had December dates available when I was invited recently.

if you don't me asking, I'm looking for some insight into what Duke looks for in applicants so I'll know whether I should hold my breath waiting for an II or not. Do you know what Duke look for in applicants? I've read their MSAR mission statement but it's really not that different from most competitive schools. congrats btw!
 
if you don't me asking, I'm looking for some insight into what Duke looks for in applicants so I'll know whether I should hold my breath waiting for an II or not. Do you know what Duke look for in applicants? I've read their MSAR mission statement but it's really not that different from most competitive schools. congrats btw!

I wish I could give some specific insight about Duke, but I know about as much as any other applicant. I've interviewed at a few top 10 schools, and my perception is that they are all looking for high stats combined with some unique life experience. I know that seems like a fairly obvious answer, but I do think it's as simple as that. Maybe a current Duke student could offer something more school-specific than that?
 
How did you schedule such an early date? Not that it matters much since it's non-rolling, but I only had December dates available when I was invited recently.
It was available for me. Shrug.

Anyone willing to host me or connect me with a student host?
 
Anyone who had a pclt interview would be willing to share their experience? Mine's coming up and I'm curious.
 
Anyone who had a pclt interview would be willing to share their experience? Mine's coming up and I'm curious.

Unfortunately, I think this interview is covered by the non-disclosure agreement we signed. Without going into specifics, I'd recommend thinking about the kind of questions you would ask if you were a PCLT interviewer at Duke, and preparing accordingly.
 
Unfortunately, I think this interview is covered by the non-disclosure agreement we signed. Without going into specifics, I'd recommend thinking about the kind of questions you would ask if you were a PCLT interviewer at Duke, and preparing accordingly.

Thanks!
 
It was available for me. Shrug.

Anyone willing to host me or connect me with a student host?
I actually just realized there is a student run student hosting service at Duke. The link to sign up is given on the email you get after scheduling your interview date. I encourage all interviewing students flying into Durham to do this regardless of whether or not they are looking for a host, as signing up may help you save money on the ride from the airport to Duke.
 
II this afternoon!

Secondary submitted and complete 10/15/13.

I will be there mid-Dec 😀
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad