2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got rejected without them looking at my letters. I'm pretty disappointed because this was one of my top choices. I wonder if it's because I was so late along in the cycle because I thought I had pretty decent ec's. Alas, life goes on. My sincerest of best wishes to everyone else who's moving forward!
 
By the way, does anyone know how receptive Mayo is to post-LOR request/pre-II letters of update?

I sent an update letter via email on my recent publication, and they replied on the following day saying "thank you for the update, it has been noted in your file" :luck:
 
Just got my reference letters request today. My fee complete was 07/23 so I wasn't holding my breath, but it looks like they took a second look at my file and saw something new that they liked. This happened last year, but I did not get to the II stage. I have a 3.6GPA and ~29 mcat.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
decided to apply 09/12
received payment 09/16
LOR request 09/26, letters assigned to Mayo on 09/12, so hopefully will be fully complete in a short bit
 
Woke up to an interview invite this morning!! I was in what I believe is considered the third batch - LORs Requested 7/24, Received 7/29
I'm so stoked!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected post-LORs at 11:46 PM. Was a bit funny how I e-mailed the admissions committee earlier today about a status update. Not what I was hoping for. I wish the best of luck to all other applicants.
 
Rejected post-LORs at 11:46 PM. Was a bit funny how I e-mailed the admissions committee earlier today about a status update. Not what I was hoping for. I wish the best of luck to all other applicants.

Sorry to hear it! When did you get the letters requested?
 
fingers crossed!! Mayo is my dream! I don't care about the snow. I don't care about the tininess of the town!

Also, I recently got 2 new part time jobs - babysitter and tutor - should I tell them?
 
fingers crossed!! Mayo is my dream! I don't care about the snow. I don't care about the tininess of the town!

Also, I recently got 2 new part time jobs - babysitter and tutor - should I tell them?

Unless you are taking a full semester courseload in parallel with these two PT jobs, I doubt this will have any impact on how they consider your application.
 
So I received the fee received e-mail on 7/6 and still haven't heard anything (as a re-applicant). THink I should contact them?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unless you are taking a full semester courseload in parallel with these two PT jobs, I doubt this will have any impact on how they consider your application.

I am actually a full time graduate student. with the 2 new PT. I actually have 4 PTs. yup poor graduate student.
Should I tell them? but babysitting and tutoring sound so....
 
wow just got the LOR request email. didn't think i had a chance here, i'm so honored to even get a shot at an II

my stats are 3.5 undergrad, 4.0 smp, 35 mcat and i paid the app fee in mid september
 
same here! just got LOR request!! Did not even think this was anywhere near possible so pretty excited.

Fee received 9/18
LOR request 10/5

Stats: 3.6 undergrad 3.8 grad. 32 mcat. Extensive research, pubs & hospital employment. Canadian.
 
Got the fee request today, and it's time for some brutal honesty from SDN. My LizzyM is ~67, my EC's are decent. My LOR's are average. Do I stand a chance?
 
Got the fee request today, and it's time for some brutal honesty from SDN. My lizzyM is ~67, my EC's are decent. My LOR's are average. Do I stand a chance?

Mayo seems to be distinct from many of its peer schools in that they focus less on stats and more on ECs and LORs to build their class of ~45 from its 4000 applicants. I don't think your LizzyM would bar you from Mayo, but your "decent" ECs and "average" LORs might (though each person's interpretation of "decent" varies wildly so it's hard to judge). That being said, you'll never know if you don't at least apply, so if you believe you're a good fit for Mayo and can spare the fee, I'd go for it 👍 You might just be what they're looking for!
 
Agree with the above post. They're a lot more interested in your experiences and who you are as a person than just stats. I think that LORs carry quite a bit of weight, especially since during my interview several of the questions referenced my letter writers.
 
Agree with the above post. They're a lot more interested in your experiences and who you are as a person than just stats. I think that LORs carry quite a bit of weight, especially since during my interview several of the questions referenced my letter writers.

Since you have interviewed there, what information did they provide regarding the wait time to hear back about a decision? Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad