-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Any 8/19s hear back???
Not yet......

Pre-interview top choice for me, really really hoping for that interview!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not yet......
Pre-interview top choice for me, really really hoping for that interview!
not yet either... really hoping for an II here...
Mayo's average is 33/3.8, I got a 33/3.77, extensive research (3 publications), normal clinical/volunteering, completed most of my 30 secondaries in mid-August, now sitting on 5 rejections and zero II... show me some love plz mayo...

not yet either... really hoping for an II here...
Mayo's average is 33/3.8, I got a 33/3.77, extensive research (3 publications), normal clinical/volunteering, completed most of my 30 secondaries in mid-August, now sitting on 5 rejections and zero II... show me some love plz mayo...![]()
+1.
1 rejection, 1 hold and 0 II. Later in the cycle by SDN standards so freaking out with this lack of II. LORs were received here 10/07. Hoping praying wishing begging for an II. ahhhhh...

+1.
1 rejection, 1 hold and 0 II. Later in the cycle by SDN standards so freaking out with this lack of II. LORs were received here 10/07. Hoping praying wishing begging for an II. ahhhhh...![]()
SDN standards are pretty silly usually 🙄
When were you verified/complete at schools?
How do you know that they are releasing decisions tomorrow??Good luck to everyone hearing their decisions tomorrow! I'm nervous!!
If you look at previous threads, they've always made phone calls on Wednesdays, every 2 weeks. It's been 2 weeks, so I'm assuming they haven't changed plans and calls will go out tomorrow with hold emails coming out shortly after that. I hope!
So if you're not accepted right after your interview date is reviewed, you get put on hold? I thought they review cumulatively and put everyone else on hold once the class is filled in December/January whenever interviews are done. This is my incomplete recollection of what they said on interview day though, and I could be wrong.
Hope it's true! But I got a ranked email last Wednesday.. does it mean they had a meeting last week?If you look at previous threads, they've always made phone calls on Wednesdays, every 2 weeks. It's been 2 weeks, so I'm assuming they haven't changed plans and calls will go out tomorrow with hold emails coming out shortly after that. I hope!
^ Yep, you were considered for tomorrow's (hopefully!) batch of calls. When Marcy was the admissions director, she said that the committee met on Thursdays to review ranked applicants, but I don't know what the committee does now that Gina is the coordinator... Probably the same.
It's so strange that the Mayo thread is so short this year! I think around this time last year, it was around 40 pages...
It's so strange that the Mayo thread is so short this year! I think around this time last year, it was around 40 pages...
So basically, if you don't hear back on the 'accept day' right after you've been ranked, you're saying that you won't hear back until the end of their interview season (with a potential 'waitlist' at that point)?^ Yep you get put on hold.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So basically, if you don't hear back on the 'accept day' right after you've been ranked, you're saying that you won't hear back until the end of their interview season (with a potential 'waitlist' at that point)?
No, if you get on hold, you get re-reviewed at every committee meeting until February (when everyone who has interviewed has been ranked) and that's when they decide to waitlist or reject you post-interview. Getting put on hold is NOT the kiss of death for a waitlist spot. There have been other people in years past who have been put on hold for two weeks only to get accepted during the next round of calls.
Just got the ranked email! Interviewed on 10/14. I'm really hoping for some good news soon; it would be such a dream to be accepted here ^.^
Anyone know if it's possible to get the call/email the same day as you're ranked? Since you guys are saying today should be a day for acceptances.
Anyone know if it's possible to get the call/email the same day as you're ranked? Since you guys are saying today should be a day for acceptances.
Nope, no news here so far... hoping for something soon!Any 8/19ers hear back yet? I keep thinking it's right around the corner! I'm sure they've been busy with acceptances though.
Just got the ranked email! Interviewed on 10/14. I'm really hoping for some good news soon; it would be such a dream to be accepted here ^.^
Anyone know if it's possible to get the call/email the same day as you're ranked? Since you guys are saying today should be a day for acceptances.
I wonder about that too, as someone who also interviewed on 10/14! Good luck to us! Haha. 🙂
I wonder about that too, as someone who also interviewed on 10/14! Good luck to us! Haha. 🙂
No, unfortunately... They seem to make the decisions before the day of ranking interviewees.
No, unfortunately... They seem to make the decisions before the day of ranking interviewees.
To clarify, that means they made acceptance calls yesterday (nobody on SDN who got an acceptance yesterday has reported it) and our batch won't hear back until around 13 days from now?
To clarify, that means they made acceptance calls yesterday (nobody on SDN who got an acceptance yesterday has reported it) and our batch won't hear back until around 13 days from now?
Acceptance calls come out today (if they're following the same pattern as previous years). But they make decisions on ranked interviewees before the ranking meeting on Tuesdays (from previous threads, it seems like that day is the Thursday before, so today's group of decisions were made on the 24th). So since you guys were ranked yesterday (and got the ranked email today), your group will be considered for the next batch of decisions in 2 weeks.
Acceptance calls come out today (if they're following the same pattern as previous years). But they make decisions on ranked interviewees before the ranking meeting on Tuesdays (from previous threads, it seems like that day is the Thursday before, so today's group of decisions were made on the 24th). So since you guys were ranked yesterday (and got the ranked email today), your group will be considered for the next batch of decisions in 2 weeks.
Ah, I get it now. Thanks!
Thanks for clarifying that!Acceptance calls come out today (if they're following the same pattern as previous years). But they make decisions on ranked interviewees before the ranking meeting on Tuesdays (from previous threads, it seems like that day is the Thursday before, so today's group of decisions were made on the 24th). So since you guys were ranked yesterday (and got the ranked email today), your group will be considered for the next batch of decisions in 2 weeks.
Ranked today. Appointed today! Thrilled!!!!!Acceptance calls come out today (if they're following the same pattern as previous years). But they make decisions on ranked interviewees before the ranking meeting on Tuesdays (from previous threads, it seems like that day is the Thursday before, so today's group of decisions were made on the 24th). So since you guys were ranked yesterday (and got the ranked email today), your group will be considered for the next batch of decisions in 2 weeks.
Appointed today. Accepted today! Thrilled!!!!!
Congrats! When'd you get the call?
12 est thanks!!!Congrats! When'd you get the call?
Congratulations!! What's the area code that they call from? I don't want to ignore them thinking it's a spammer or something hahaRanked today. Appointed today! Thrilled!!!!!
Hold 🙁 Too bad; this is definitely one of my top choices and I didn't think my interview could've gone much better.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hold 🙁 Too bad; this is definitely one of my top choices and I didn't think my interview could've gone much better.
Honestly, I don't know how much the interviews matter at Mayo (I think they try to make sure you're interested in academic medicine, but they also want to know that you're patient-oriented). I'm sure the interview's another aspect of the application, but from looking at previous threads, it seems like Mayo tries to fill its class with the most diverse people. That means that they looking for one person from a certain socioeconomic class, another who's a hardcore athlete, a member of the LGBT community, someone who's had cancer before, etc. One round of acceptances went out before this already, so it's possible someone who has had a similar experience or application to you got in. But there has been documentation of people getting in from the hold list immediately at the next meeting so there's hope!
That means that they looking for one person from a certain socioeconomic class, another who's a hardcore athlete, a member of the LGBT community, someone who's had cancer before, etc.
Ugh, this really annoys me about the admissions process. I get why they do this, but still. I want to enter academic medicine, which the top schools are strong in, but I'm a cookie cutter applicant. Mid/low tier schools shunned my app. Now I'm stuck with waitlists.
Plan for next year before reapplication? Go broke and homeless after spending all my money on tanning salons to get skin cancer, perhaps selling myself on the street to pay the medical bills. Recover swiftly, become a pro athlete, then U-turn back into medicine. #diversity
Ugh, this really annoys me about the admissions process. I get why they do this, but still. I want to enter academic medicine, which the top schools are strong in, but I'm a cookie cutter applicant. Mid/low tier schools shunned my app. Now I'm stuck with waitlists.
Plan for next year before reapplication? Go broke and homeless after spending all my money on tanning salons to get skin cancer, perhaps selling myself on the street to pay the medical bills. Recover swiftly, become a pro athlete, then U-turn back into medicine. #diversity
Hahaha I enjoyed the post. I will be rooting for you- at least to become a pro athlete. I don't think that Mayo emphasizes that type of diversity as much as they seek out the full, well-rounded applicant. Everyone I have talked to there had 1000s of hours of volunteering, and 1000s of hours of research, and unique experiences. Most of the physicians at Mayo I met with said they are pretty evenly split between practice and research.
Plus, some of the students that get accepted will also have acceptances at Harvard, Yale, etc. and might seek schools that are a fit for them and their desires. I don't think a hold could be all that bad seeing that they won't give away all their acceptances until interviews are complete and then re-evaluate. BUT, I am sorry to hear about it for you guys and I don't doubt you're feeling bummed right now! I am still waiting for an interview so you much be doing pretty well!
Ranked today. Appointed today! Thrilled!!!!!
Hmm then I guess I'm on hold. But congratulations on your outright acceptance! They must L-O-V-E you!
Ranked today. Appointed today! Thrilled!!!!!
Woah, how did I miss that? You must be the first person on SDN to get ranked and appointed on the same day!
Woah, how did I miss that? You must be the first person on SDN to get ranked and appointed on the same day!
I want to wish you folks put on the hold list the best of luck getting a speedy appointment. I am so grateful that my interest in Mayo was reciprocated. What a wonderful surprise; the phone calls (2!!!) were certainly unexpected considering I got the ranked email today.
I believe my interview season is officially over.
When did you interview?I want to wish you folks put on the hold list the best of luck getting a speedy appointment. I am so grateful that my interest in Mayo was reciprocated. What a wonderful surprise; the phone calls (2!!!) were certainly unexpected considering I got the ranked email today.
I believe my interview season is officially over.
Oct 11.When did you interview?
Anyone,
What are my chances with no research experience, tons of patient care experience, 35, 3.94, 2 year oversees service mission in Mongolia? I'm worried about not having any research experience. Interview on 11/25.
Thanks
When were your LORs received?
Aug 17th. I just got the ii Oct 23rd.When were your LORs received?
Ugh, this really annoys me about the admissions process. I get why they do this, but still. I want to enter academic medicine, which the top schools are strong in, but I'm a cookie cutter applicant. Mid/low tier schools shunned my app. Now I'm stuck with waitlists.
Plan for next year before reapplication? Go broke and homeless after spending all my money on tanning salons to get skin cancer, perhaps selling myself on the street to pay the medical bills. Recover swiftly, become a pro athlete, then U-turn back into medicine. #diversity
Not to kick you while you're down, but you do realize being cookie cutter is largely down to your choices, not something that's thrust upon you? There are plenty of ways to deviate from the standard path - you could join the merchant navy and sail the seven seas, or do a stint in Peace Corps, you could frakk oil in Canada, find a research gig in Norway or work as a refugee coordinator in Arizona. The possibilities to distinguish yourself are vast, require only a little imagination, very little money, but a lot of balls. If want a risk-free, straightforward route into med school straight out of a middle-class life and college, plus a year or two of research without doing anything groundbreaking, then don't complain if others who've taken more unusual paths stand out more than you do. That's not their problem. It's yours.
Does Mayo reject anyone after interview or does everyone go into the hold tank if not accepted---with rejections happening at the very end of the application season?
Mayo puts everyone on hold status until late January or so. No one is rejected during the interview season. Then in late January, about 300 applicants will have interviewed, about 50 of them will have been accepted, about 100 are wait listed and 100 will be rejected post interview at that time.
How are you submitting update letters? I also was put on hold today, and I was thinking of sending one in an email to my interviewer.Well got the hold status email... Time to write an update letter! And I should not emphasized my research so much in my interview -_-.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not to kick you while you're down, but you do realize being cookie cutter is largely down to your choices, not something that's thrust upon you? There are plenty of ways to deviate from the standard path - you could join the merchant navy and sail the seven seas, or do a stint in Peace Corps, you could frakk oil in Canada, find a research gig in Norway or work as a refugee coordinator in Arizona. The possibilities to distinguish yourself are vast, require only a little imagination, very little money, but a lot of balls. If want a risk-free, straightforward route into med school straight out of a middle-class life and college, plus a year or two of research without doing anything groundbreaking, then don't complain if others who've taken more unusual paths stand out more than you do. That's not their problem. It's yours.
I understand the desire for an extremely diverse and unique class. The fact that top schools can fill their class with <5% of the applicants lets them be picky. I'm annoyed that, as someone who wants to go into academic medicine, stats, volunteering, and research aren't "good enough." My years of research work are seen as typical. My publications are "okay." How will fracking oil or joining the merchant navy add to my academic career in the long run (besides getting me into med school)? Will it help me publish in top journals, solve more problems, push the frontier of medicine?
If only other professions were so competitive to get into. Want to be a dentist? Better join the army. Want to be a lawyer? I hope you've spent the first quarter of your life training for the Olympics. Want to be a biomedical researcher? Better frack some frackin oil.
Come to think of it, how awesome would it be to run a study of the dietary
The answer to all of those questions is 'yes'. If you want to publish in top journals, you don't need an MD. If you want to push the boundaries of science, you don't need an MD, either. A PhD is more than sufficient. Med schools are going to look out for a fundamental desire for clinical work and if you don't show any interest in patients, no stats will save you. As to how unusual experiences would add to your academic career and improve your problem-solving skills, why not try them and find out? There's only so much you can broaden your mind - and by extension your problem-solving skills - in the ivory tower.
PS: if you think getting into dental or law school is easy, try their forums. You have to stand out wherever you go.
I understand the desire for an extremely diverse and unique class. The fact that top schools can fill their class with <5% of the applicants lets them be picky. I'm annoyed that, as someone who wants to go into academic medicine, stats, volunteering, and research aren't "good enough." My years of research work are seen as typical. My publications are "okay." How will fracking oil or joining the merchant navy add to my academic career in the long run (besides getting me into med school)? Will it help me publish in top journals, solve more problems, push the frontier of medicine?
If only other professions were so competitive to get into. Want to be a dentist? Better join the army. Want to be a lawyer? I hope you've spent the first quarter of your life training for the Olympics. Want to be a biomedical researcher? Better frack some frackin oil.
The answer to all of those questions is 'yes'. If you want to publish in top journals, you don't need an MD. If you want to push the boundaries of science, you don't need an MD, either. A PhD is more than sufficient. Med schools are going to look out for a fundamental desire for clinical work and if you don't show any interest in patients, no stats will save you. As to how unusual experiences would add to your academic career and improve your problem-solving skills, why not try them and find out? There's only so much you can broaden your mind - and by extension your problem-solving skills - in the ivory tower.
PS: if you think getting into dental or law school is easy, try their forums. You have to stand out wherever you go.
You WILL receive notification if you pass the LOR phase. I did the same as you and got the email.Oops. I have a committee letter that includes every possible permutation of letters a school could ask for, so I just assigned my letter to all schools...oh well.
Yes, apologies for the vague response. You will receive a LOR Request and then either an II or rejection after they review your full file.If you pass the LOR phase? as in if they are requested?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K