2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations! They call on Monday nights? Wow, they really aren't follow the schedule this year... Did Gina or Dr. Romanski call you too?

My interviewer called me 4 hours ago and I missed it. Then she called me back just now. I did get 2 different phone numbers for my 2 missed calls, so I may have gotten a call also from someone other than my interviewer. If I did, he or she did not leave a voicemail.
 
My interviewer called me 4 hours ago and I missed it. Then she called me back just now. I did get 2 different phone numbers for my 2 missed calls, so I may have gotten a call also from someone other than my interviewer. If I did, he or she did not leave a voicemail.


I received a "ranked" email last week--does anyone know if hold emails have gone out yet? Do hold emails usually go out before acceptance calls?

I've been following this board for a while, but never made a SDN account...just made one to post this question because I'm dying here! Love love love Mayo, and the anticipation is killing me. I don't think I have a great chance at getting in because my interview wasn't great/I'm not a great interviewer in general, so I'm afraid to hope but I can't help myself....
 
I received a "ranked" email last week--does anyone know if hold emails have gone out yet? Do hold emails usually go out before acceptance calls?

I've been following this board for a while, but never made a SDN account...just made one to post this question because I'm dying here! Love love love Mayo, and the anticipation is killing me. I don't think I have a great chance at getting in because my interview wasn't great/I'm not a great interviewer in general, so I'm afraid to hope but I can't help myself....

Hold emails tend to go out the following day that acceptances are given (or later that same day).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what time the hold emails typically come in? Is it one of those 1:30 in the morning things or during the day?
 
Oh phew, just got called back!

ACCEPTED! :biglove:
Hold status 11/18/13

Congrats!!!!!!! So so happy for you, it's cool that at least one person from our interview day was accepted!! Here's hoping I'll get to see you again at Mayo (that is, if you do end up attending) 😀
 
I don't think I have a great chance at getting in because my interview wasn't great/I'm not a great interviewer in general, so I'm afraid to hope but I can't help myself....

I don't know your situation 100%, but I can speak for myself in saying I felt my interview went poorly, or, at least, my interviewer did not like me. She was a bit intimidating in her style and asked stressful questions. I left thinking I was not getting in. So it may not be accurate to trust your gut. Good luck!
 
I sent an update letter on Thursday night, haven't received any confirmation that they received it..should I email to check?
 
I sent an update letter on Thursday night, haven't received any confirmation that they received it..should I email to check?

You should... Gina is normally good with responding to people's emails, so I would think if she got your update letter, she would have responded saying she received it.
 
I sent an update letter on Thursday night, haven't received any confirmation that they received it..should I email to check?

It's not just you, I sent one on Friday and haven't gotten a confirmation yet either, so I assume they're either behind on that or just don't have the time to send confirmations anymore. If you do email to check, let me know what they say!
 
Alternate list email! That was fast. But wow I'm shocked... I was pretty sure I bombed my interview here... Guess more waiting now.
 
Alternate as well. Is this a good thing? Or it just everyone who was on hold is now alternate?

It's a good thing, I think. Mayo interviews ~300 applicants and rejects ~150 of them at this point. They will waitlist ~100 applicants and the remaining are accepted at this point.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, no email here. I guess you can't predict anything in this process, but that's surprising to me as I thought it was one of my best interviews. Oh, well.
 
I interviewed in November, finally got the "ranked" email last Friday, and still haven't gotten the hold email. If people are getting alternate status, then the class must be full for now. That was quick.
 
I was on hold. Haven't got the alternate email. I assume HOLD is different than Alternate List. Below is the email I got 12/12.

"Your application is currently on a hold status. The Admissions Committee will continue to periodically review all of our ranked applicants until all interviews are completed. We assure you that you will be notified as soon as action is taken on your application."
 
Just got the alternate list email. It looks like they are not sending out emails in batches as I got my notification significantly after the posters above. If you have not received a status update yet, don't assume the worst.
 
Just got the alternate list email. It looks like they are not sending out emails in batches as I got my notification significantly after the posters above. If you have not received a status update yet, don't assume the worst.

When did you interview?
 
Alternate list here too...anyone know how many people usually come off the list?

I think Gina said on interview day that about half the class comes from the waitlist, so that means at least 20 people come off the waitlist... Probably more than that considering some people choose not to come after getting accepted off the waitlist.
 
Rejected post interview:

Unfortunately, your application was not among those selected for further consideration. We appreciate your serious interest in Mayo Medical School as well as the time and effort you have devoted to preparing your application.

Guess I'll be GO BLUE Forever. Best wishes to all still in the running for Mayo, maybe I'll freeze my rear end off for residency!!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also rejected last night. I guess it was not meant to be...

Good luck everyone and a huge congratulations to those with acceptances. Given how few acceptances Mayo gives out, I am incredibly happy to see so many members of our SDN community be chosen.
 
Back on the interwebs after a brief hiatus to find my Alternate Status email from yesterday morning -- glad to see I'm not alone, at least 🙄
 
Sent an update/LOI about 2.5 weeks ago with no confirmation tht they received. Should I send another email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a head's up - I found my Mayo award letter in my spam folder today. Look for it if you haven't gotten yours.
 
Just a head's up - I found my Mayo award letter in my spam folder today. Look for it if you haven't gotten yours.
At the risk of being impertinent, I don't expect you to share all of the details concerning your award. However, seeing how Mayo now requires parental data for award decisions on top of the tuition increase this year, would you say that the award package is as generous as it seems to have been past years?
 
At the risk of being impertinent, I don't expect you to share all of the details concerning your award. However, seeing how Mayo now requires parental data for award decisions on top of the tuition increase this year, would you say that the award package is as generous as it seems to have been past years?

I assume that the overall generosity of MMS is the same; the difference is that folks with wealthier parents get less scholarship aid while others get more. That's kind of the point of using parental income data.
 
I'm also curious because they said COA would be higher this year, and I'm interested to know what that means for the overall class ..