2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I agree better than a rejection, but at this point, Mayo doesn't reject you, just puts you on "HOLD" I guess. I assume in Jan/Feb, they either reject you or put you in alternate status?? Or, does everyone get on alternate status?? However, it doesn't appear to have any tiers to the alternate/waitlist status, sadly. You don't know if you are close, or last in line?? Anyone, chime in if you have any suspicions about what happens from here on out. THanks!

True that there are no rejections at this point, but I mean it is still awesome to have made it to the interview phase. 4000+ other applicants were not so fortunate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Been Complete since mid-late September with LORs.

No rejections, no IIs...

Anyone in the same boat 😀?

Same boat here as well. Not sure if they're done with interviews or not. Their website says they only interview through mid-December, but I know last year they had at least 1 interview date in Jan.

Edit: My LOR were received late Sept.
 
Same boat here as well. Not sure if they're done with interviews or not. Their website says they only interview through mid-December, but I know last year they had at least 1 interview date in Jan.

Edit: My LOR were received late Sept.

I checked the online interview scheduling system thing and it looks like they added two more interview dates in January. However, although one of the dates are selectable, the other one is grayed out, which I think means the date is filled.
 
I checked the online interview scheduling system thing and it looks like they added two more interview dates in January. However, although one of the dates are selectable, the other one is grayed out, which I think means the date is filled.
Ooh, thanks for checking. Not sure if this is good news or not, since I haven't gotten an II!
 
I checked the online interview scheduling system thing and it looks like they added two more interview dates in January. However, although one of the dates are selectable, the other one is grayed out, which I think means the date is filled.

You've been incredibly helpful this cycle - thank you. Think there's a chance that those of us who haven't heard might get a "holiday surprise" interview invite like last year? It seems unlikely that good news is heading our way, but I'm keeping the hope alive!
 
You've been incredibly helpful this cycle - thank you. Think there's a chance that those of us who haven't heard might get a "holiday surprise" interview invite like last year? It seems unlikely that good news is heading our way, but I'm keeping the hope alive!

Thanks Endure! I think there are still some coming. Otherwise Mayo would have sent mass rejections to everyone by now. I think Mayo interviews at most 10 people on each interview day (at least that's how many chairs there were in the waiting room), so it looks like there are less than 10 spots left for interview invites. If you want to check, you can always call Gina-- she doesn't bite lol. Plus you can stay anonymous on the phone.
 
1477919_1446037965615961_1193416014_n.jpg


We beat the pants off the Miracle Whip Clinic !!! 🙂
 
Me too. LORs received 9/17 and no rejection or interview invite thus far.
LOR 8/19, rejection this morning, 33 mcat, 3.5c/3.77s GPA, average clinical/volunteer, tons of research, PhD in biomedical science with 3 pubs... farewell mayo... good luck to everybody :luck:
 
Do ya'll think mayo is finished extending interview invites? I know it is getting late in their season. My letters were marked as received 9/17 and I haven't heard anything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do ya'll think mayo is finished extending interview invites? I know it is getting late in their season. My letters were marked as received 9/17 and I haven't heard anything.

I think that time is quickly approaching, but if you have not received a rejection, you are still in the running for an ii. Good luck and enjoy the holidays!!!
 
Do ya'll think mayo is finished extending interview invites? I know it is getting late in their season. My letters were marked as received 9/17 and I haven't heard anything.

Ah, Chelonia (mydas) it's been some time! I've PMed you
 
Man, it's been almost silent on here for Mayo acceptances. I know they don't accept that many people to begin with, but I would have thought that there would at least be quite a few of those on SDN by now.
 
Rejected 🙁 bummed because I really liked mayo but my stats were not very competitive and I'm lucky to have acceptances elsewhere. Good luck to everyone else!
 
Man, it's been almost silent on here for Mayo acceptances. I know they don't accept that many people to begin with, but I would have thought that there would at least be quite a few of those on SDN by now.

They seem to be doing things differently this year, I think.
 
Sorry to hear it. Stay cool in Florida!! We're freezing here in the midwest. Rochester was freezing when I was there.
I so want an interview with University of Miami, just so I can come to Florida in the winter!!

I actually live in Minneapolis right now so I totally understand.
 
interviewed 11/25 and still no "ranked" email. Anyone in the same boat?

It just means your interviewers haven't been able to make your ranking meeting. It isn't indicative of your performance or anything.
 
It just means your interviewers haven't been able to make your ranking meeting. It isn't indicative of your performance or anything.
I know. I was just wondering if its supposed to take over a month? They said it would only be about 2 weeks. Maybe its because of the holidays. Is there anyone from the 11/25 interview group or earlier that has not been ranked yet either?
 
It just means your interviewers haven't been able to make your ranking meeting. It isn't indicative of your performance or anything.
Also, I think it does put you at a disadvantage if you aren't ranked for a while because your interviewers aren't going to remember you as well and that might effect your rank. I really hope not though!
 
Also, I think it does put you at a disadvantage if you aren't ranked for a while because your interviewers aren't going to remember you as well and that might effect your rank. I really hope not though!

From what I've read, most interviewees are ranked close to a 5 anyway because they also consider your app (not just the interview) when ranking you. It could be that one of your interviewers went on vacation/medical trip abroad after interviewing you. It happened to someone on my interview day.

If you're wondering when you're going to get ranked, you can always email Gina and ask (I think she said you generally get ranked between 1 and 3 weeks after interviewing, so you're beyond that period now).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man, it's been almost silent on here for Mayo acceptances. I know they don't accept that many people to begin with, but I would have thought that there would at least be quite a few of those on SDN by now.

Got into Mayo a couple weeks ago!! Could not be more happy still! Made this account in case the following helps anyone. I interviewed on 11/18, was ranked on 12/19, and was called/given an appointment on 12/20. Good luck and stay strong in this crazy process!!
 
..... Any news recently? I'm just chillin' over here... with my hold status :/

The waitlist is probably forming soon since the last interview day was last Friday, and there will probably be another round of acceptances coming either this week and/or next week.
 
To anyone who sent a update/letter of interest to their general admissions email? Did you receive a reply that they received it?
 
My interviewer just left a cryptic voicemail asking me to call back, saying she would like to "talk to me". I tried but no response! I mean, is there any way this could not be good news? I'm dying here... :nailbiting:

Edit: FYI was put on hold some time ago
 
My interviewer just left a cryptic voicemail asking me to call back, saying she would like to "talk to me". I tried but no response! I mean, is there any way this could not be good news? I'm dying here... :nailbiting:

Edit: FYI was put on hold some time ago

Could definitely be good news... Could you email her too? Good luck pyrrion!
 
Could definitely be good news... Could you email her too? Good luck pyrrion!

Yeah, I did that too! I feel so bad I missed her calls, twice! She said in the voicemail, "I'd like to talk to you and see how you're doing, and extend an invitation." Maybe I'm being paranoid? When I hear invitation I think "invitation to come to Mayo."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I did that too! I feel so bad I missed her calls, twice! She said in the voicemail, "I'd like to talk to you and see how you're doing, and extend an invitation." Maybe I'm being paranoid? When I hear invitation I think "invitation to come to Mayo."

Extend an invitation sounds like a good thing to me in terms of an acceptance. It would be kind of odd to have your interviewer randomly invite you to her house for dinner or something like that if you weren't accepted lol.