2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it? I've read some stories of children of Mayo doctors, and they all seem to hate Rochester...

Adolescents hate most things, but I can understand why most would not like Rochester. However, Rochester seems like a wonderful place to raise children.
 
Is it? I've read some stories of children of Mayo doctors, and they all seem to hate Rochester...
Plus, what career opportunities exist there for your significant other? It seemed when I went that Mayo was the town, beyond a few services and businesses that seemed mostly to tailor to patients and employees of the Mayo Clinic.
 
Adolescents hate most things, but I can understand why most would not like Rochester. However, Rochester seems like a wonderful place to raise children.

Good point.

Plus, what career opportunities exist there for your significant other? It seemed when I went that Mayo was the town, beyond a few services and businesses that seemed mostly to tailor to patients and employees of the Mayo Clinic.

It seemed like a hospital town to me too. Supposedly, IBM also used to be the other big business for jobs in the area, but IBM shutdown recently.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Plus, what career opportunities exist there for your significant other? It seemed when I went that Mayo was the town, beyond a few services and businesses that seemed mostly to tailor to patients and employees of the Mayo Clinic.

This is a valid concern. My wife owns her own business (www.strutbranding.com), which has thrived from the presence of other small local or emerging business that desire her services; i.e. metroplitan areas. We are somewhat concerned about the fact that Rochester lacks development in this regard, but the new destination medical center proposal (see link below) offers some consolation as several new businesses are cropping up in the area already, whether or not as a result of the proposal.

A great place to start looking for opportunity would be with the local chamber of commerce (also below) , which lists most of the businesses in the Rochester area.

Aside from work opportunity, the lack of a bustling metropolitan area also concerned us. But Minneapolis is just a little over an hour away, not too far to make weekend trips. So, we are now OK in that regard.

Destination Medical Center Link: http://www.postbulletin.com/news/lo...cle_be2f17fb-2545-5233-a076-ab0bb6388eaa.html
Rochester Chamber Link: http://www.rochestermnchamber.com/
 
@hubriz, you got an avatar! Are you a military veteran by any chance?

I just learned how to do that. I am currently active duty, but yes I did deploy to Afghanistan for 2011-2012. Are you by any chance a freightened fish? 🙂
 
I just learned how to do that. I am currently active duty, but yes I did deploy to Afghanistan for 2011-2012. Are you by any chance a freightened fish? 🙂

I am haha. So does that mean you'll be done with your duties by next year to go to med school? Btw thanks and deep respects for serving our country! 🙂
 
I am haha. So does that mean you'll be done with your duties by next year to go to med school? Btw thanks and deep respects for serving our country! 🙂

I am resigning and will be out in time to matriculate. It has been my pleasure.
 
So, it's 7 degrees in Rochester, right now. Good news, it feels like -14 with the wind chill. I'm still wearing shorts in Louisiana.
 
Hubriz! You can't say that sort of thing! My texas blood is icing over. 😉

Look on the Brightside, you won't have to spray your Christmas tree green or with the white, fake snow just to hide the brown; you'll get to have a winter wardrobe; your fireplace will be more than décor; you can drive and play in the snow (equally fun); you can go ice-fishing grumpy, old men style and ice-skating on a pond; you can actually enjoy your coffee and hot-cocoa the way it should be; you can run and slide on ice, or slip and fall (not equally fun); you get a complimentary freezer (a porch); and, you can finally use an ice-scraper on your car window (so exciting).

You're going to thrive at Mayo Dr. Mom.
 
Just as soon as I was ranked I was put on hold 🙁 is it the kiss of death or do I have hope?

There is hope. Some people are known to get accepted two weeks after being put on hold for reasons unknown to us. It seems that if that two week period passes, then you won't hear anything until the waitlist forms in February. I'm guessing more calls went out yesterday... Ugh this is so aggravating. This means that probably 25 people or so have been accepted so far and only 2 have posted they got accepted.

The new thing that's happening for some reason is that Mayo is ranking people and accepting them or putting them on hold in the same week. It's bizarre.
 
There is hope. Some people are known to get accepted two weeks after being put on hold for reasons unknown to us. It seems that if that two week period passes, then you won't hear anything until the waitlist forms in February. I'm guessing more calls went out yesterday... Ugh this is so aggravating. This means that probably 25 people or so have been accepted so far and only 2 have posted they got accepted.

The new thing that's happening for some reason is that Mayo is ranking people and accepting them or putting them on hold in the same week. It's bizarre.

It's probably difficult to determine or guess what goes on, especially with it being the holiday season. The least we can do is stay positive and upbeat. It's a huge privilege to have the opportunity to interview there. Hang in there.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is hope. Some people are known to get accepted two weeks after being put on hold for reasons unknown to us. It seems that if that two week period passes, then you won't hear anything until the waitlist forms in February. I'm guessing more calls went out yesterday... Ugh this is so aggravating. This means that probably 25 people or so have been accepted so far and only 2 have posted they got accepted.

The new thing that's happening for some reason is that Mayo is ranking people and accepting them or putting them on hold in the same week. It's bizarre.
Thanks for the response. I'm glad I haven't reached the end of this magical road yet.
 
Submitted a letter of interest/update letter. I love the patient centered approach here and hope I get a chance to interview. Anyone have any luck with sending letters to Mayo?
 
Submitted a letter of interest/update letter. I love the patient centered approach here and hope I get a chance to interview. Anyone have any luck with sending letters to Mayo?

Eek, Mayo doesn't accept pre-interview update letters/letters of interest. Largely because pre-interview, supposedly, everything is electronic so they only can fit like 3 sentences of updates for you. It is once you are invited for interview that they make a paper file of your app and that's when you can send in updates.
 
Eek, Mayo doesn't accept pre-interview update letters/letters of interest. Largely because pre-interview, supposedly, everything is electronic so they only can fit like 3 sentences of updates for you. It is once you are invited for interview that they make a paper file of your app and that's when you can send in updates.

? I sent in an update before my invite and after being asked to reformat my PDF attachment as email text, I was told it was added to my file. It also seemed it was indeed included and reviewed since one of my interviewers brought things up from that specific update.
 
? I sent in an update before my invite and after being asked to reformat my PDF attachment as email text, I was told it was added to my file. It also seemed it was indeed included and reviewed since one of my interviewers brought things up from that specific update.

Really? Hmm I sent an update letter to Mayo after my interview and someone emailed me back asking me whether I had been invited to interview or not because they said they don't take pre-interview update letters.

Maybe they were ready to send you an interview invite when you sent it in, and that's why they accepted it. 😉
 
Last edited:
Oops...well I guess I'll find out soon what their reaction is lol. I haven't gotten any word back thus far but I assumed it was because I had submitted it Friday afternoon, and who really reads their emails on a Friday afternoon? 😉
 
Oops...well I guess I'll find out soon what their reaction is lol. I haven't gotten any word back thus far but I assumed it was because I had submitted it Friday afternoon, and who really reads their emails on a Friday afternoon? 😉

Lol I sent mine on a Friday afternoon too!
 
I sent them an update pre-II and they were very nice about accepting it and updating my file. If it is a legitimate update then they won't mind. If it is just a casual "hey send me an II" type of letter then they will probably disregard. But you shouldn't worry, if it is a good reason for an update, they will be happy to add it to your file. Best of luck to you.
 
Hmmm I interviewed on 11/18 and no ranked email. Should I be worried?

It probably just means that the meeting was held at time when one of your interviewers couldn't make it; I think they mentioned that they tried to get both of them to come, except for in extenuating circumstances.
 
Hmmm I interviewed on 11/18 and no ranked email. Should I be worried?

It probably just means that the meeting was held at time when one of your interviewers couldn't make it; I think they mentioned that they tried to get both of them to come, except for in extenuating circumstances.

Yep, in order to get ranked, both of your interviewers have to come to the ranking meeting, otherwise you get moved to the next one. It has nothing to do with you (and your chances), and you will get ranked eventually.

From previous threads, it is said that your first interviewer will present you to the committee and after the first one is done, the second interviewer can add whatever comments they feel like adding on about you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent them an update pre-II and they were very nice about accepting it and updating my file. If it is a legitimate update then they won't mind. If it is just a casual "hey send me an II" type of letter then they will probably disregard. But you shouldn't worry, if it is a good reason for an update, they will be happy to add it to your file. Best of luck to you.
That's nice to know! I haven't heard from them since late August and am still hopelessly wishing for an II. What do you think constitutes a legitimate update? I've gotten two new part-time medicine-related jobs since I submitted my AMCAS (just realized this since there was no secondary to update this...)
 
That's nice to know! I haven't heard from them since late August and am still hopelessly wishing for an II. What do you think constitutes a legitimate update? I've gotten two new part-time medicine-related jobs since I submitted my AMCAS (just realized this since there was no secondary to update this...)

I wrote about community service projects I have done, a health disparities related program I am doing at work, and another research project that I added on to my workload, so it was kind of a mix of a few smallish updates for me, if that helps you at all.
 
That's nice to know! I haven't heard from them since late August and am still hopelessly wishing for an II. What do you think constitutes a legitimate update? I've gotten two new part-time medicine-related jobs since I submitted my AMCAS (just realized this since there was no secondary to update this...)

That sounds legitimate to me. My update was also work related, and they were more than happy to take the info in an email. My interviewers asked several questions about it, so that is proof that they actually add these to your file. Good luck!
 
Does anyone know anything about the planned Mayo Medical School expansion to their Scottsdale, AZ campus? (I just necro-bumped a thread about that in pre-allo.) There were articles about it back in 2011, and I saw that a Dean was appointed for the school this June, but there's relatively little out there about this.
 
Does anyone know anything about the planned Mayo Medical School expansion to their Scottsdale, AZ campus? (I just necro-bumped a thread about that in pre-allo.) There were articles about it back in 2011, and I saw that a Dean was appointed for the school this June, but there's relatively little out there about this.
Don't know about that, but I do know that as a Mayo student you can do selectives in Florida or Arizona, and you can arrange any of your clinical rotations there as well.
 
Yep, they told us at the interview that as a Mayo student, you'll be able to do any of your rotations down in Arizona or Florida (and they said some people do for obvious reasons lol).
 
Yep, they told us at the interview that as a Mayo student, you'll be able to do any of your rotations down in Arizona or Florida (and they said some people do for obvious reasons lol).

I guess I'm just wondering if being able to do *any* of your rotations down in Arizona or Florida equals being able to do ALL of your rotations down in Arizona or Florida.
 
I guess I'm just wondering if being able to do *any* of your rotations down in Arizona or Florida equals being able to do ALL of your rotations down in Arizona or Florida.

I think they said at the interview that you can do all your rotations down in Arizona and Florida if you want, though people say its not recommended since the major Mayo hub is in Rochester, not Arizona or Florida.
 
I wrote about community service projects I have done, a health disparities related program I am doing at work, and another research project that I added on to my workload, so it was kind of a mix of a few smallish updates for me, if that helps you at all.

That sounds legitimate to me. My update was also work related, and they were more than happy to take the info in an email. My interviewers asked several questions about it, so that is proof that they actually add these to your file. Good luck!

Thank you both so much! I'll go ahead and send them an update then 🙂
 
Does anyone know when to expect a decision from Mayo? I received a "you've been ranked" email yesterday, so I assume that I should be receiving news regarding that ranking soon? Anyone else in a similar situation? I feel like it's a little strange to be notified that I've been ranked but not be told what that ranking is. Also, I've tried many times to call the admissions office to ask, but nobody picks up 🙁
 
Does anyone know when to expect a decision from Mayo? I received a "you've been ranked" email yesterday, so I assume that I should be receiving news regarding that ranking soon? Anyone else in a similar situation? I feel like it's a little strange to be notified that I've been ranked but not be told what that ranking is. Also, I've tried many times to call the admissions office to ask, but nobody picks up 🙁

Next set of phone calls should be going out next Wednesday. Good luck!

Mayo doesn't tell you your rank because they don't accept people based on rank order. It is also said that most people score close to a 5 (from 1-5) so it would be meaningless to know it.
 
Next set of phone calls should be going out next Wednesday. Good luck!

Mayo doesn't tell you your rank because they don't accept people based on rank order. It is also said that most people score close to a 5 (from 1-5) so it would be meaningless to know it.

Ok thanks! I was told on interview day that there is an interviewer ranking (1-5), followed by a final committee ranking. I'm assuming that the "you've been ranked" email refers to the final committee ranking of all the applicants, but of course, we're not given any information regarding where we are on the list. Ah well... Back to waiting nervously (until next Wed) =)
 
Ok thanks! I was told on interview day that there is an interviewer ranking (1-5), followed by a final committee ranking. I'm assuming that the "you've been ranked" email refers to the final committee ranking of all the applicants, but of course, we're not given any information regarding where we are on the list. Ah well... Back to waiting nervously (until next Wed) =)

Yep, there's a ranking meeting and a separate appointment meeting. The appointment committee will look at the highest ranked people first and work their way down to the lowest ranked one in the batch and decide on whether to appoint them or not. The "you've been ranked" email refers to the interviewer ranking meeting. Shortly before phone calls, an appointment meeting takes place and looks at all recently ranked applicants along with some of the holds (although Mayo says they look at all of them).
 
Ranked yesterday, then a "HOLD" email today. Continue to wait, hoping for good news Jan/Feb.

Okay then, nevermind, looks like calls went out yesterday for people who were ranked this week (even though they put people on hold last week). I'm still confused by Mayo this year (i.e. why they are ranking people and then putting them on hold in the same week, and also why they're not making phone calls every 2 weeks like in previous years). It's strange. I wonder if Mayo is being more particular about acceptances this year and will be making mass acceptances in January after everyone has interviewed.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ranked yesterday, then a "HOLD" email today. Continue to wait, hoping for good news Jan/Feb.

Floating in the exact same boat as you!

Nemo123 may be correct. Since they had admitted fewer than half by the end of November, there could be some major moves made once interviews conclude in January. Either way, I am just happy to have made it all the way to fretting a hold status lol!
 
Floating in the exact same boat as you!

Nemo123 may be correct. Since they had admitted fewer than half by the end of November, there could be some major moves made once interviews conclude in January. Either way, I am just happy to have made it all the way to fretting a hold status lol!

Yes, I agree better than a rejection, but at this point, Mayo doesn't reject you, just puts you on "HOLD" I guess. I assume in Jan/Feb, they either reject you or put you in alternate status?? Or, does everyone get on alternate status?? However, it doesn't appear to have any tiers to the alternate/waitlist status, sadly. You don't know if you are close, or last in line?? Anyone, chime in if you have any suspicions about what happens from here on out. THanks!
 
Yes, I agree better than a rejection, but at this point, Mayo doesn't reject you, just puts you on "HOLD" I guess. I assume in Jan/Feb, they either reject you or put you in alternate status?? Or, does everyone get on alternate status?? However, it doesn't appear to have any tiers to the alternate/waitlist status, sadly. You don't know if you are close, or last in line?? Anyone, chime in if you have any suspicions about what happens from here on out. THanks!

No one is rejected post-interview at Mayo until the waitlist forms in February. Between Oct 15th and February, ranked interviewees are either appointed or put on hold. In February, the committee will meet to look at everyone on hold. Approximately 300 people will have interviewed by then and the class will be filled (44 this year according to them). ~100 applicants will be waitlisted and the remaining 150 or so will be rejected post-interview.