2013-2014 Meharry Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I want to know what's a competitive score to apply here.

Yes, I want to know what's a competitive score to apply here.
Dear Pigletgurl90,

According to the Meharry Medical College website, the average MCAT score is 24, although it has risen higher than that according to MSAR. However, Meharry accepts a wide range of scores.

When applying to Meharry, you must remember that the medical college places an enormous amount of importance on the college's mission, namely, helping the underserved.

Good MCAT scores and good grades are very important, but without a sound goal of helping the underserved and extracurricular activities/clinical experience/volunteer experience which deal with underserved populations, an MCAT score in the 30s may not guarantee admittance to the medical program.

When applying to Meharry, look at your own personal goals and see how they mesh with those of the medical college.

If I can be of anymore assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on SDN.

On my list! Mcat July 2! Can't wait for secondaries!!

Good luck everyone! never give up on your dreams... :D

I'm excited about applying here. Taking the MCAT a little late though- September. Good luck to everyone.

One of my top schools. Can't wait to see you guys at interviews/first day of class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone submitted their application yet? I've become so anxious, I keep checking the Amcas website to see what day of submitted applications they are verifying. Heck, I even check on sundays and I know they don't work weekends lol :cool:

They are still on June 10th lol...

Has anyone submitted their application yet? I've become so anxious, I keep checking the Amcas website to see what day of submitted applications they are verifying. Heck, I even check on sundays and I know they don't work weekends lol :cool:

They are still on June 10th lol...

I submitted somewhere near noon on day 1 and am verified.....although we are all in the same boat for another week ;)

I submitted somewhere near noon on day 1 and am verified.....although we are all in the same boat for another week ;)

I submitted on the 12th.... I have been waiting 3 weeks for them to move on to the 11th lol. I really was in the mindset that I was on top of it cause I submitted on the 12th. Amcas proved me wrong :smuggrin:

I want to be like you, and get verified.

Its 26 point something this year...

Dear Pigletgurl90,

According to the Meharry Medical College website, the average MCAT score is 24, although it has risen higher than that according to MSAR. However, Meharry accepts a wide range of scores.

When applying to Meharry, you must remember that the medical college places an enormous amount of importance on the college's mission, namely, helping the underserved.

Good MCAT scores and good grades are very important, but without a sound goal of helping the underserved and extracurricular activities/clinical experience/volunteer experience which deal with underserved populations, an MCAT score in the 30s may not guarantee admittance to the medical program.

When applying to Meharry, look at your own personal goals and see how they mesh with those of the medical college.

If I can be of anymore assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on SDN.

^Thanks 2017ers :)

Does this school's secondary have essay prompts, and if so, do you know what they are? I'm trying to pre-write them before school starts since I probably won't be verified until August.

^Thanks 2017ers :)

Does this school's secondary have essay prompts, and if so, do you know what they are? I'm trying to pre-write them before school starts since I probably won't be verified until August.
There is only one essay prompt and it asks you why you want to attend Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine - That's the only essay for the secondary. I of course cannot guarantee that they have not changed it! When applying to this school, ensure that in addition to pointing out your academic victories and potential, that you express why you fit the school's main goal - namely - to help the underserved. Before I applied and before I interviewed etc., I researched the school's history and made sure to shape my secondary in such a way that it showed that I have already participated in activities which have helped the disadvantaged and that I also intend to continue that pattern. I did get accepted with a high MCAT and high GPA, but I am more than positive that if I had not expressed interest in helping the underserved, that I would not have been accepted here. I hope this helps - Please feel free to contact any of the 2017ers if you have any questions - We know the admissions process can feel drawn out (and it is in many ways!). All the best to those applying!

There is only one essay prompt and it asks you why you want to attend Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine - That's the only essay for the secondary. I of course cannot guarantee that they have not changed it! When applying to this school, ensure that in addition to pointing out your academic victories and potential, that you express why you fit the school's main goal - namely - to help the underserved. Before I applied and before I interviewed etc., I researched the school's history and made sure to shape my secondary in such a way that it showed that I have already participated in activities which have helped the disadvantaged and that I also intend to continue that pattern. I did get accepted with a high MCAT and high GPA, but I am more than positive that if I had not expressed interest in helping the underserved, that I would not have been accepted here. I hope this helps - Please feel free to contact any of the 2017ers if you have any questions - We know the admissions process can feel drawn out (and it is in many ways!). All the best to those applying!

Thanks so much! :) Yep, that is why I chose the school, I have a lot of commitment to that area of medicine. Would you happen to remember if there was a character count? If not, that's okay, I got essays for 24 schools today so that should keep me busy for a while! When does Meharry start interviewing? I know Howard doesn't start till Jan...

Thanks so much! :) Yep, that is why I chose the school, I have a lot of commitment to that area of medicine. Would you happen to remember if there was a character count? If not, that's okay, I got essays for 24 schools today so that should keep me busy for a while! When does Meharry start interviewing? I know Howard doesn't start till Jan...
I don't know exactly when they start interviewing (I interviewed at the end of February), but I know it is sometime in the Fall - I would tend to believe around October. I also don't recall there being a character count, but definitely focus on quality over quantity. You figure they have to read a LOT of essays and if its drawn on, it could be a turn-off. My essay was literally two medium sized paragraphs, but it was very concise, descriptive and strong. It really spoke to my abilities, experiences and desire to aid the underserved.

Last edited:
Meharry is alive!....got my confirmation that they uploaded the primary....secondaries rolling sometime in the next 6 weeks

To my future MALE classmates...Depending on when you interview I may have room at the crib....If you interested hit me up on here with interview dates and I will let you know if there is room in the inn...good luck to you all...

just got the secondary!

Does anyone else think these "rank the following" questions are really weird...?

Got it this afternoon! :D

How long are you guys making your essays? Is 400ish words too long? :oops:

Those who got a secondary, when did they receive your primary?

Whats the prompt for the secondary?

got a secondary...I feel like some of these questions may be trick questions?

-

Last edited:
Received a secondary. Probably going to submit tomorrow after I proofread.

Got rejection email last night. 3.2 uGPA, 3.8 gGPA with smp, 31 mcat.

I received secondary invite yesterday! ;)

First outright rejection of the cycle...i've been getting some love from the DO schools but it still stings a bit ;).... Good luck to everyone, meharry seems like a great place