2013-2014 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I scheduled for January 29, but the 15 was available as well

Wow I guess that means they haven't even given out 30 interview invites yet... So doesn't that mean there's a possibility there won't be 30 people at the interview next week?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow I guess that means they haven't even given out 30 interview invites yet... So doesn't that mean there's a possibility there won't be 30 people at the interview next week?
Maybe they already gave 30 invites but some people cancelled or rescheduled? That seems more likely to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone submitted pre-interview updates here?

Members don't see this ad :)
People keep hoping that the answer will change :):):)

Reactions: 1 users
They've started sending rejection letters.
Complete September, 3.9/40

Sorry to hear that. Those are monster stats. Did you interview?

No worries, odds of getting into Standford aren't the most favorable haha. I did not have the opportunity to interview, which is a shame because this year's experiences are all significantly more impressive than what made it into my applciation... I now see the wisdom of gap years!

Woah sorry about that! Paper letter?

Yes, they send a paper letter in the mail. Mine was marked from January 7th, so I imagine others will be receiving theirs soon enough... unless theirs was targeted at me, but I doubt I'm that special haha

No worries, odds of getting into Standford aren't the most favorable haha. I did not have the opportunity to interview, which is a shame because this year's experiences are all significantly more impressive than what made it into my applciation... I now see the wisdom of gap years!

Yes, they send a paper letter in the mail. Mine was marked from January 7th, so I imagine others will be receiving theirs soon enough... unless theirs was targeted at me, but I doubt I'm that special haha

Was it postmarked on the 7th too? Or are you relatively close to SF?

It's a shame they don't take pre-interview updates....I mean what if someone wins a Nobel Prize in October.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, rejected via snail mail. Big reach school for me anyway, good luck everyone still in the running!

Also rejected. I live close to the Bay Area.

It's a shame they don't take pre-interview updates....I mean what if someone wins a Nobel Prize in October.....
If that is the case, I wonder if they'd go to medical school... ;-)

Was the rejection letter sent to the permanent mailing address or current one? Ugh, I don't want my parents to find and open my rejection letters -_-

hadn't heard anything from them since completing my secondary. Just got the rejection letter in the mail; simple and polite. Guess it wasn't meant to be!

Funny story: I fully expected to get rejected from Stanford, but I interviewed with UCSF and it's my #1 and first decisions are expected soon so today I was actually driving when my mom texted me this "Standard letter saying no and good luck with everything else". Keep in mind, Stanford was nowhere on my radar, and all I've been thinking about was UCSF... so this single text destroyed me as I was driving because I assumed she was referring to UCSF (since it's all we've been talking about). She waited like 2 minutes to say 'oh **** sorry autocorrect, Stanford' ... 'MOM YOU GAVE ME A ****ING HEART ATTACK' haha man this stuff can be so intense when it's your dreams on the line.

Good luck all you future Stanford kids

Reactions: 11 users
After a panicked call to my parents in San Francisco (and a frantic trip to my own mailbox in NYC)...no letter. Does anyone have an answer about whether the letter comes to permanent or current address? If it's coming to New York, it could still be en route. What does this mean?!?

After a panicked call to my parents in San Francisco (and a frantic trip to my own mailbox in NYC)...no letter. Does anyone have an answer about whether the letter comes to permanent or current address? If it's coming to New York, it could still be en route. What does this mean?!?

I would guess that the letter will go to whichever address you have listed in your application.

How could we answer that? If you haven't updated Stanford or AMCAS with a new address, assume that it goes to the one you listed on AMCAS.

How could we answer that? If you haven't updated Stanford or AMCAS with a new address, assume that it goes to the one you listed on AMCAS.

One of you might be able to answer that if they (like me) listed 2 addresses on their AMCAS application. Permanent and current. It's not that unusual. No problem if you don't know, just wondering where to expect a letter...

From last year's thread, it looks like they send everything to the preferred address you filled out on your AMCAS.

From last year's thread, it looks like they send everything to the preferred address you filled out on your AMCAS.

Thanks! Just looked at my AMCAS and you're right -- "current address" is also listed as "preferred." I guess I'm expecting a letter tomorrow, in that case.

They sent the letter to my current (preferred) address haha

Did you guys who recently received rejection letters get them pre or post interview?

Last edited:
Did you guys who recently received rejections letters get them pre or post interview?

From what it looks like, these are all pre-interview so far.

Reactions: 2 users
Got my letter today, as expected! I live in the midwest (for anyone who wants reference). See MDapps for stats.

Good luck to everyone still in the running!

And to those of you who have been rejected, go be a beast and rock it at other medical schools. :)

received a rej-y from stanford today. the card stock was a nice touch. watermark and everything, haha. i bet i'm sitting in some of the most prestigious trash cans in the world right now. i would say it doesn't hurt as much with an acceptance, but of course that's a lie.

So has everyone who's expecting one on the west coast gotten their rejection letters? Or are some people still waiting?

I haven't gotten mine, but I changed address twice during this app cycle. It could have gone to the wrong place. I'm not holding my breath for an II.

So has everyone who's expecting one on the west coast gotten their rejection letters? Or are some people still waiting?

Didn't get one yesterday, but it may be in my mailbox today, who knows. I'll check when I'm off work.

I didn't get one yesterday either but I'm expecting it to greet me when I come home today.

got my rejection letter today. I don't live on the west coast.
good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Has anyone complete during or after mid-October received a rejection letter yet? Just curious. I have yet to hear anything back (although I think a rejection letter is entirely likely.)

lol, am not at home. am going to call home and see if anything came in

Got the axe via snail mail. Complete way back in August. It actually feels nice to have closure. Too many options can be paralyzing.

Huh - it looks like I still haven't gotten my reject, west coast. Maybe I forgot to hit submit....:) bah humbug though because I am obviously getting rejected would be nice to know

I met students here that interviewed in March last year. If they are still interviewing once a week, then there's plenty of invites to be handed out.

Huh - it looks like I still haven't gotten my reject, west coast. Maybe I forgot to hit submit....:) bah humbug though because I am obviously getting rejected would be nice to know

I'm west coast, no letter in my mailbox today either. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I'm west coast, no letter in my mailbox today either. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

+1

I wonder if the reject letters that are coming out are from their first pass, and if they are now taking a second look at the applications they couldn't make a decision on then.

Haven't gotten my rejection letter yet either but I'm sure it's on the way. CA resident.