2013-2014 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! 1st one of the cycle.
OOS
31 MCAT
3.84 GPA

I was complete around the first week of August and received the hold email on 8/19. 9/28 is coming up quick!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to wait, but the LA rock and roll half marathon is that sunday and I'd rather not drive 7 hours right before the race.

Might be better that you didn't. If Tucson follows the same plan as Phoenix in terms of sending out acceptances, 9/28 would be considered for acceptance on Oct. 15 which means you could find out your fate sooner!

Might be better that you didn't. If Tucson follows the same plan as Phoenix in terms of sending out acceptances, 9/28 would be considered for acceptance on Oct. 15 which means you could find out your fate sooner!

Tucson doesn't send out the first acceptances until the beginning of November, but either way you may find out sooner if you interview in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it take about a month to hear back for interview/hold once you are complete?

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels near the school that will shuttle to/from the airport and the school? I'd rather not have to rent a car for a few hours, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm staying at a hotel near the airport. I called the front desk, and they said there are reliable taxi companies that will take you to/from the hotel and campus.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels near the school that will shuttle to/from the airport and the school? I'd rather not have to rent a car for a few hours, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

There's a courtyard mArriott right next to campus and another hotel called aLoft right across the street. I don't know if they provide a shuttle but you could definitely get a taxi. Depending on when you interview I could possibly drive you there. I currently live in the glorious city that is Tucson

After three days of orientation and two days of fake classes, I can confirm that UofA is the greatest medical school in the world.

Can you elaborate please? :D

Also, can anyone tell me the number of OOS applicants that Tucson interviews and the number of OOS acceptances per year?

I'm staying at a hotel near the airport. I called the front desk, and they said there are reliable taxi companies that will take you to/from the hotel and campus.

There's a courtyard mArriott right next to campus and another hotel called aLoft right across the street. I don't know if they provide a shuttle but you could definitely get a taxi. Depending on when you interview I could possibly drive you there. I currently live in the glorious city that is Tucson

I'm from New York so taxis are pretty cheap here. Everywhere else that I've been however, taxi fares have been expensive. Anyways, thanks for the information. Greatly appreciated!

There's an Aloft hotel on the corner next to the school you could stay at and walk to the interview in about three minutes the next morning.

The Mariott University is too far to walk in a suit but you would be a short drive away, as well.

Hey Everybody,

I'm a 4th year medical student at UA. I am technically a student of the Tucson campus, but I completed my 3rd/4th years in Phoenix (part of a clinical program that is no longer offered), so I have experience with both campuses. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

I have absolutely loved being a student at UA over the past 4 years (8 if you include undergrad haha)! It has been wonderful!

Good luck to you all :)

Interviewing on 10/26! Lived in AZ all my life and never been to Tucson. See you all there!

Hey Everybody,

I'm a 4th year medical student at UA. I am technically a student of the Tucson campus, but I completed my 3rd/4th years in Phoenix (part of a clinical program that is no longer offered), so I have experience with both campuses. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

I have absolutely loved being a student at UA over the past 4 years (8 if you include undergrad haha)! It has been wonderful!

Good luck to you all :)

What do you love the most about UA? :)

What do you love the most about UA? :)

Hmmm so many things...First and foremost I enjoy the strong family, community feel of the medical school. Classes here are very tight knit and supportive, not competitive with fellow students. The administration is friendly and always available to assist with any concerns. The thing I most enjoy about the curriculum is how fast you are given clinical exposure. Starting in the first week of first year you are split into groups of 5-6 students with a physician mentor where you learn history taking and physical exam skills for a few weeks before practicing on actual patients in the hospital connected to the med school. My mentor is an Emergency Med doc, so during my group's first week we took a tour of the ED. Coincidentally it just so happened that there was a new patient in the trauma bay with a double stab wound to the heart, so we got to see a thoracotomy with attempted surgical repair of the heart. It was crazy for a first week (and probably not the typical experience), but it sure made you feel excited to learn about the world of medicine.

Hmmm so many things...First and foremost I enjoy the strong family, community feel of the medical school. Classes here are very tight knit and supportive, not competitive with fellow students. The administration is friendly and always available to assist with any concerns. The thing I most enjoy about the curriculum is how fast you are given clinical exposure. Starting in the first week of first year you are split into groups of 5-6 students with a physician mentor where you learn history taking and physical exam skills for a few weeks before practicing on actual patients in the hospital connected to the med school. My mentor is an Emergency Med doc, so during my group's first week we took a tour of the ED. Coincidentally it just so happened that there was a new patient in the trauma bay with a double stab wound to the heart, so we got to see a thoracotomy with attempted surgical repair of the heart. It was crazy for a first week (and probably not the typical experience), but it sure made you feel excited to learn about the world of medicine.

WOW! A thoracotomy on the first week of medschool! From what you've described so far, UA seems like an awesome place to learn :D You're also not the first UA medstudent in this thread that has exhibited happiness about this school which is another sign of UA's awesomeness :)

ii this evening. OOS Cali. pumped after all the great stuff I'm hearing about the medical center and curriculum!

Hold status email received on Tuesday :(

For those of you who have done an MMI at U of A, what is the best way to prepare for it?
Thanks in advance, guys :)

I wish we knew more about when decisions would be released from the first interview group :(

We know they will start sending out acceptances the first week of November. Last year it was the 7th. Pretty decent timeframe to hear back.

Yeah, I guess I should be grateful they give any timeframe at all. I am just spoiled by other schools that say "you will hear back on xx date".

Hey! For those of you who interviewed, did you send a thank you card? I'm not really sure who I would address one to...

Hey! For those of you who interviewed, did you send a thank you card? I'm not really sure who I would address one to...

I didn't send one out. But someone in my group asked about this and was told that a thank you card addressed to the ADCOM in general and sent to the Admissions Office would be appropriate.

I would like to know this as well
I have it down that 26% of OOS interviewees are accepted, based on US News numbers. Dunno how accurate they are as a resource, though.

I have it down that 26% of OOS interviewees are accepted, based on US News numbers. Dunno how accurate they are as a resource, though.

How many oos applicants get interviews?

I didn't send one out. But someone in my group asked about this and was told that a thank you card addressed to the ADCOM in general and sent to the Admissions Office would be appropriate.

Thank you!! Much appreciated - best of luck to you!