2013-2014 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!!! Was on pre-interview hold since mid-August and sent an update in last week and was just invited this morning! Only date available is 1/30.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i got put on the waitlist tday. Anybody knows the movement on the waitlist last year. When do i expect them to hear a rejection or an acceptance...now that im on the waitlist

Movement off of the continued list picks up later in the season (March/April/May) as people make final decisions. You can receive a decision at any time, but that's when there's the most activity.

Pre-interview rejection via email today. Complete 10/2. Good luck everyone in the rest of your cycles!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-interview rejection today
OOS, 3.9/35

This school is top-notch. I knew it was a reach, but rejection hurts nonetheless.

Secondary complete: 10/29

Congrats acceptees and good luck to all still in the hunt!
*unwatches thread*

Hey guys! I interviewed in early December and I am currently abroad until the end of January. According to one of my fellow interviewees, we should be notified in the next couple days as decisions for our interview date have been made.

QUESTION FOR THOSE ACCEPTED/REJECTED (POST INTERVIEW)/CONTINUED: As I won't have access to mail or my voicemail until I get back, will I see my status change on the application website? Was that any of your experience?

THANK YOU!

Hey guys! I interviewed in early December and I am currently abroad until the end of January. According to one of my fellow interviewees, we should be notified in the next couple days as decisions for our interview date have been made.

QUESTION FOR THOSE ACCEPTED/REJECTED (POST INTERVIEW)/CONTINUED: As I won't have access to mail or my voicemail until I get back, will I see my status change on the application website? Was that any of your experience?

THANK YOU!
Mine didn't change until a week or two after the call.

Brrrrr Chicago in the negative double digits!!!! Stay warm, Nick!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for us continued applicants :love:

Brrrrr Chicago in the negative double digits!!!! Stay warm, Nick!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for us continued applicants :love:

Haha, I appreciate it - it'll be an indoor study day for sure. :)

Hope everyone is well! As always, let us know if you have any questions about anything!

I have a logistics question for those of you who have already interviewed. I'll be interviewing on Jan 30th and I'm trying to book my flight from Midway. There are flights at 7.25pm and 8.30pm, do you think the 7.25pm flight is reasonable or will it be a little too early? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a logistics question for those of you who have already interviewed. I'll be interviewing on Jan 30th and I'm trying to book my flight from Midway. There are flights at 7.25pm and 8.30pm, do you think the 7.25pm flight is reasonable or will it be a little too early? Thanks!
Different interviewees have different schedules. I was finished very early, and that flight would have been fine for me, but I do not recall what the latest interview time was.

I do travel frequently through Midway and want to caution you that I always experience an extremely long security time. I'd give myself a little extra time bearing that in mind!

Different interviewees have different schedules. I was finished very early, and that flight would have been fine for me, but I do not recall what the latest interview time was.

I do travel frequently through Midway and want to caution you that I always experience an extremely long security time. I'd give myself a little extra time bearing that in mind!

Thanks! I'll probably book the later flight.

Thanks! I'll probably book the later flight.

Barring traffic or some other kind of issue, you shouldn't have any trouble getting to the airport for a 7:25 flight by cab. If you're planning on taking mass transit, want to spend some time in the city, or just want peace of mind, then do the later flight. The interview day will be over by 4:00 or so and a cab will take somewhere around 30-45 minutes to get to Midway in the absence of extreme traffic.

Anyone know when phone calls/mailings are going out for this last batch of interviewees?

this is so painful... interviewed early/mid november and have heard nothing

If you haven't already, I would call the office and see if they have any word on when you might get a decision. That's an awfully long time.

I've tried calling the MD/PhD office a few times but they've never picked up the phone (also been waiting since early Oct).

Is it because MSTP works on a different schedule than MD?

I'm certain the schedule is different (it is at most institutions) however, it's a month past what I expected and inconsistent with the history over the past several years. I suppose something must have come up or they are only contacting a very few. Either way, we should all know our status by mid March at the latest. :nailbiting:

I'm certain the schedule is different (it is at most institutions) however, it's a month past what I expected and inconsistent with the history over the past several years. I suppose something must have come up or they are only contacting a very few. Either way, we should all know our status by mid March at the latest. :nailbiting:

In speaking with others who also interviewed at Pritzker for MSTP, it seems that some acceptances have already gone out (I would estimate about 10 or so) about a month ago. I assume others will just be given out as the interview season progresses.

Reactions: 1 users
In speaking with others who also interviewed at Pritzker for MSTP, it seems that some acceptances have already gone out (I would estimate about 10 or so) about a month ago. I assume others will just be given out as the interview season progresses.

Thanks @NigelVermooth , this is what I expected. With budget concerns, they are probably being extra careful this year. I suppose it's also not in their interest to "continue/waitlist" anyone at this time since this usually results in mass withdrawals. So we wait, ... :cat:

Edit: Checking my notes, they did say they would Accept/Continue/Reject everyone in Dec. So unless I misheard, they changed their minds.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure for MD/PhD, they still interview into January. I can't really remember what they said about admissions but that I'm guessing it would be after those interviews since it's a pretty small program and only accept people they just really love early on (very few).

I'm pretty sure for MD/PhD, they still interview into January. I can't really remember what they said about admissions but that I'm guessing it would be after those interviews since it's a pretty small program and only accept people they just really love early on (very few).

According to this calendar their last MSTP interview day is this coming Wednesday, so hopefully we'll start hearing some kind of news after that!

Is there a certain email address that continued applicants should send updates to?

Were calls supposed to go out today?!?!

We were told second or third week of Jan at my early Dec interview, but I haven't heard anything more specific than that. The waiting is killing me...

A friend of mine who interviewed in early December got a continued letter around Xmas time. I interviewed on the same day and still have not gotten word

A friend of mine who interviewed in early December got a continued letter around Xmas time. I interviewed on the same day and still have not gotten word
I also interviewed in early Dec and haven't heard anything back yet.

According to this calendar their last MSTP interview day is this coming Wednesday, so hopefully we'll start hearing some kind of news after that!

So it appears they did contact their first round of acceptees in Dec as expected. The next date will be "around Feb. 6th" and after that date only "sporadic offers until the deadline". So good luck everyone.

So it appears they did contact their first round of acceptees in Dec as expected. The next date will be "around Feb. 6th" and after that date only "sporadic offers until the deadline". So good luck everyone.
Just out of curiosity, where does the 2/6 date come from? They only told us early to mid February. And does anyone know if the percent accepted goes down as the interview season gets later (i.e. for those of us who interviewed in January).

MD interview at the end of November and I haven't heard a continuation or anything yet

hey guys, I will be interviewing here in the next couple of days. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on the best way to get from midway airport to the Hyatt Place by the Univ. Med center? If you also have some advice and tips about the interview it will be much appreciated :p

hey guys, I will be interviewing here in the next couple of days. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on the best way to get from midway airport to the Hyatt Place by the Univ. Med center? If you also have some advice and tips about the interview it will be much appreciated :p

You could take the 55 Bus from Midway to Hyde Park. I generally don't recommend this option only because I have never taken the 55 bus myself(It has a less than stellar reputation because of the areas it goes through, however, plenty of my classmates have taken it without any issue and the consensus seems to be it is perfectly fine during the day).

Your other option for public transportation is to take the Orange line downtown and catch the 192 bus(which will drop you off right where you need to be) or the 6 bus(which will drop you off 2 blocks from the hotel) into Hyde Park. This is usually the way I get to and from Midway. It takes about the same amount of time as the 55 bus.

A cab will run you about 30$.

Second everything Tots said above. The 55 bus isn't terrible but it does roll through some of the worst areas of the city, so keep that in mind when making your choice. It's a straight shot from Midway to Hyde Park and for $2.25 it's a hard price to beat. If you don't mind public transit, though, I'd recommend the route above with the orange line and only add that you can take the #6 bus in addition to the #192.

Good luck with the interview!

Sent from my phone, please forgive any typos

Where do most med students live? Any places for rent or sale walking distance from campus? When I mean walking distance, around 1-4 blocks away.

Where do most med students live? Any places for rent or sale walking distance from campus? When I mean walking distance, around 1-4 blocks away.

Most students live in Hyde Park, and there is plenty of housing available throughout the neighborhood. I live south of the Midway, probably 4-5 blocks away, and am able to walk to campus in 15 minutes or so. Outside of Hyde Park, the South Loop is a popular neighborhood, and the remaining minority are spread out everywhere from Indiana to the far North Side.

Sent from my phone, please forgive any typos

I finally got the rejection letter in the mail. In the letter the admission office offered me a consultation session as a favor - is that to discuss the decision as to why I got rejected? Should I use this opportunity to get consulted? Did anyone else get this?

I finally got the rejection letter in the mail. In the letter the admission office offered me a consultation session as a favor - is that to discuss the decision as to why I got rejected? Should I use this opportunity to get consulted? Did anyone else get this?

Did you interview?

Also, I had heard that Pritzker does this (in the "Pritzker Podcast").

Why not? Sounds like something cool to me... Plus you'll get to learn about the inner-workings of the app process at Pritzker. ;)

About half of my class lives in Regents Park, which is honestly about as far as you can get away from campus and still be in Hyde Park. Probably not what you are looking for though since it is about 1.5 miles away from campus but there is a bus(free for students) that picks up in front and takes you pretty close to the medical school. I walk home everyday, even in this polar vortex weather. Some people live in graduate housing but I think the closest building to campus is at 55th and Kenwood which is about 4 blocks away. I have heard of people living at 55th and University and 55th and Ellis(both incredibly close to campus) but I honestly don't know what housing options are available in that area.

Is the Feb. 6 date someone mentioned the next time we expect to hear for MD as well, or just MSTP?

Phew--maybe some MD decisions will come out soon.

Anyone have updates for when MD applicants will hear news? I called the office about 3 weeks ago and they said I shouldn't be surprised I haven't heard until 8 weeks post interview.... I'm approaching 11 weeks post interview