2013-2014 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So we're notified post interview by mail, email, or phone?
I know some people got phone calls? My status online still says: Interview Completed. Does it change when you are accepted or continued?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So we're notified post interview by mail, email, or phone?

I was continued. Only notification was through mail. Based on the timeline for when people relieved acceptance calls, they sent out the continued letters at the same time they called about acceptances.

Well it looks like no calls going out today... Hopefully they let us know soon

Members don't see this ad :)
II on Nov 15th! SC on Oct 25th! Sooo excited!

Does anyone remember what time they called other applicants? I tried to look at the posting times from previous posters but the times have been removed; it shows only the date.

Does anyone remember what time they called other applicants? I tried to look at the posting times from previous posters but the times have been removed; it shows only the date.
I think the first post about an acceptance call was posted at about 10:45 AM. If you hover your mouse over the date it will show the time-stamp. ...Yes, I am that neurotic lol

It seems like someone should have gotten a call by now if they were calling today. Maybe tomorrow?

I'm sure they start doing calls in the morning, but sometimes people can't be reached until later on in the day or even several days later.

Best of luck!

Accepted!!!!! Got the call!

Accepted!!! TOTALLY. FREAKING. OUT!!!! Good luck everyone!!! I hope you all hear good news today!!! :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who were accepted! When did you all interview?

Congratulations to everyone to got a call today. Dreading my snail mail inbox now.

Congratulations to everyone to got a call today. Dreading my snail mail inbox now.

Are Pritzker rejections sent exclusively via snail mail (meaning, no status change online)?

Is today the only day where they give calls for this week?

Congrats to all who got acceptances!

Looking back at last year's thread, not hearing back can mean anything, even when others who interviewed later than you got a call and you did not. So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. Someone in this cycle got an acceptance in the mail without a call, others get acceptance calls much later than others who interviewed at the same time. An interesting example of this is an applicant last cycle who interviewed in October and went from under review to accepted in January of the next year, without being put on "continued" status during any time in between.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Looking back at last year's thread, not hearing back can mean anything, even when others who interviewed later than you got a call and you did not. So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. Someone in this cycle got an acceptance in the mail without a call, others get acceptance calls much later than others who interviewed at the same time. An interesting example of this is an applicant last cycle who interviewed in October and went from under review to accepted in January of the next year, without being put on "continued" status during any time in between.

I hope they are doing the same thing this cycle; I just wish they gave more information about it or were more clear.

I hope they are doing the same thing this cycle; I just wish they gave more information about it or were more clear.
Yeah, the way they write and speak to us on the website and on interview day makes it seem that all decisions are given out ~6 weeks after the interview day.

I wonder if they'll mail us a scrub top like they did last year?! :) Also, who else is excitedly looking for apartments already? I mean, I know it sounds ridiculous, but those places in Regents Park must go quick right? How soon before school begins do you guys think people need to settle their living arrangements to get a nice place/good deal?

I wonder if they'll mail us a scrub top like they did last year?! :) Also, who else is excitedly looking for apartments already? I mean, I know it sounds ridiculous, but those places in Regents Park must go quick right? How soon before school begins do you guys think people need to settle their living arrangements to get a nice place/good deal?

I wouldn't start worrying about housing stuff until much later. While you shouldn't wait until the last minute if possible, I'd start looking around the time of Second Look (probably April) and have a plan by June or July.

there are tons of apts in hyde park. april/may would be a good time to start thinking about housing

No continued letter yet--I'm going with the attitude that no news is good news! Congrats to everyone who has gotten the call; hopefully one will eventually come for me!

Interviewed: Late October
Acceptance calls for my batch: 20 November 2013
Notified of "continued" status by snail mail: 25 November 2013
Encouraged by admissions to send in love letters throughout the cycle to be considered.
Another (of what seemed like a) good set of interviews, another quasi-waitlist. How intensely frustrating and worrisome... Good luck to everyone else!

Any Pritzker people know if people actually get rejected post-interview? Or does everyone who is not accepted get put on continued status until later?

Edit: The answer is that virtually everyone who interviewed---but not accepted---is placed on continued status... (That's about 66% of those who interviewed.) My letter did make a point of stating that this list shrinks (to what extent?) as those on the list get accepted to other schools and decide to matriculate elsewhere.

Last edited:
Interviewed: Late October
Acceptance calls for my batch: 20 November 2013
Notified of "continued" status by snail mail: 25 November 2013
Encouraged by admissions to send in love letters throughout the cycle to be considered.
Another (of what seemed like a) good set of interviews, another quasi-waitlist. How intensely frustrating and worrisome... Good luck to everyone else!

Any Pritzker people know if people actually get rejected post-interview? Or does everyone who is not accepted get put on continued status until later?

I have no business being here as I am not even worthy of applying to Pritzker. In fact I didn't apply here because I figured it would be a waste of money leading to inevitable rejection. But I think you should know that your MDapps profile shows the quintessential strong medical school application. With the number of interview invites you have in Top 10, you will almost certainly be attending one of the top schools in the country this time next year... whether it's Pritzker or Yale, it's going to happen.

I have no business being here as I am not even worthy of applying to Pritzker. In fact I didn't apply here because I figured it would be a waste of money leading to inevitable rejection. But I think you should know that your MDapps profile shows the quintessential strong medical school application. With the number of interview invites you have in Top 10, you will almost certainly be attending one of the top schools in the country this time next year... whether it's Pritzker or Yale, it's going to happen.

Thanks for the kind words. You have no idea how much I appreciate them. I really have no right at all to complain, as I've already been accepted to great schools and have been very fortunate to have been invited to interview at some awesome places. I hope you have the best luck possible with your applications!

I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted to Pritzker. And I really loved it there! But the costs were a bit off-putting. Does anyone know if the estimated student budget was overestimated or is it really accurate. Why is the third and fourth year estimated budget so high? (http://pritzker.uchicago.edu/admissions/financialaid/budget.shtml )

Right now, I'm conflicted if I should cancel interviews at less expensive places to save money.

I would appreciate any sort of advice =).

I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted to Pritzker. And I really loved it there! But the costs were a bit off-putting. Does anyone know if the estimated student budget was overestimated or is it really accurate. Why is the third and fourth year estimated budget so high? (http://pritzker.uchicago.edu/admissions/financialaid/budget.shtml )

Right now, I'm conflicted if I should cancel interviews at less expensive places to save money.

Years 1 and 2 are for 9 months worth of tuition (you don't take classes in the summer) and years 3 and 4 are for 12 months worth of tuition because you're enrolled all year round.

Years 1 and 2 are for 9 months worth of tuition (you don't take classes in the summer) and years 3 and 4 are for 12 months worth of tuition because you're enrolled all year round.

I was thinking the same thing here. I think that the room and board costs are over estimations. There is no way you'll be paying that much if you have a roommate. My friend lives in Hyde Park and said she pays 600 per month (her place is SOO NICE). The tution rates aren't going to change, but I bet you can bring down that total cost significantly. Any real chicago peeps want to comment? Regardless of the cost, I think Pritzker is worth it!

The budget is an overestimate. If you have roommates and live reasonably (not even like a poor student - just not extravagantly), you definitely will not need to take the whole budget. You can either return some of the aid or save it and take out fewer loans in the future. The cost of living allowances are quite generous, so if you're wanting to minimize your debt burden, just take what you need. I believe you can always let the financial aid office know if you underestimated what you needed and run out of money during a quarter. I believe they can give you more aid up to whatever you're awarded.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe this will be my week to hear something!! Fingers crossed......

I sent in a LOI after my interview as an attached PDF via email. They sent me a thank you reply and said that it had been added to my file.
Do you have an email address for admissions? Thanks.

I've been on a pre-interview hold here since around mid/late July and have sent in 2-3 letters of interest since without a change in status. Recently, I also found out that my family is likely to move to Chicago in time for the 2014-2015 academic year. Do you think that it would be worthwhile to communicate this to Pritzker? Would it help, or would they even care at all?

I've been on a pre-interview hold here since around mid/late July and have sent in 2-3 letters of interest since without a change in status. Recently, I also found out that my family is likely to move to Chicago in time for the 2014-2015 academic year. Do you think that it would be worthwhile to communicate this to Pritzker? Would it help, or would they even care at all?

Not in a third (or fourth?) letter unless you accompany that info with some really significant changes in your app. Your next opportunity to mention it would be at an interview.

Not in a third letter. Your next opportunity to mention it would be at an interview.

Just wanted to tell you that I love your username and avatar :thumbup:

Not in a third letter. Your next opportunity to mention it would be at an interview.
Think three's a bit much? I've sent two so far, but then again, I was also 'on hold' in mid-July, which translates to an update every ~2 months.

Think three's a bit much? I've sent two so far, but then again, I was also 'on hold' in mid-July, which translates to an update every ~2 months.
I think you should have something really significant and different from the rest of your application to send another letter. Waiting it out is tough but probably the best course right now. Good luck.

Have any recent interviewees been told when the next batch of decisions will go out? I interviewed 11/04 and was told "sometime in December." Perhaps an actual date has been solidified since then?

I was told to look for a decision either December 20 or mid January for my interview date in early December.

Notice that I'm a "continued applicant" arrived in snail mail today.