2013-2014 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone thinking of doing their pre-matriculation program? I am a non-trad. I graduated undergrad about 5-6 years ago. Did anyone talk to any medical students that did it at UCONN? I would love to have a fun summer and travel the world (something that I have been dying to do) but it would probably be a real good idea to review my sciences before starting medical school. I would love to have more insight before I commit to anything.

http://medicine.uchc.edu/prospective/hcop/meddent_prep.html

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed in late September and have the same "applicant to commit" status. No official word yet. Any suggestion on what to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a URM and very non-trad. I have a friend who is also a URM and a unique applicant who also received her interview invite pre-secondary. Are you a URM?

I'm part Moroccan, so I guess that counts as a URM? Congrats on your acceptance, by the way!

Interviewed 10/18, accepted 11/14 with a 37 MCAT and 3.9 GPA. Super excited, loved this school when I visited. My online status also said "applicant to commit since 11/4" so i am guessing that this message means an acceptance. congrats to everyone who got accpted! To those still waiting, hang in there!

Did anyone see the anatomy labs? Or are there any current students who can attest for the condition of the gross anatomy lab and how many students work on a cadaver Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Did anyone see the anatomy labs? Or are there any current students who can attest for the condition of the gross anatomy lab and how many students work on a cadaver Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated![/quot

Idk how bioscience Connecticut is affecting it but I was told by my student interviewer that it is 4 students per cadaver

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah the online portal has my status as "You have been at the In Committee stage since 11/08/2013." But I have received an email acceptance from the school, is anyone else in the same place? I was notified on 11/14 pf my acceptance and have not received a letter yet either. I really liked the school and would hate to mess it up on my end.

Yeah the online portal has my status as "You have been at the In Committee stage since 11/08/2013." But I have received an email acceptance from the school, is anyone else in the same place? I was notified on 11/14 pf my acceptance and have not received a letter yet either. I really liked the school and would hate to mess it up on my end.

I interviewed on 11/1/13 and was accepted via email on 11/14/13. I remember the email stating that the letter we receive in the mail will tell us what to do next. I really don't think there is anything else we can do at this point but wait.

I was accepted to other schools as well. One school notified me on 10/22/13 but I just received the hard copy letter in the mail this week. So, the timeframe varies with each school.

Anyone thinking of doing their pre-matriculation program? I am a non-trad. I graduated undergrad about 5-6 years ago. Did anyone talk to any medical students that did it at UCONN? I would love to have a fun summer and travel the world (something that I have been dying to do) but it would probably be a real good idea to review my sciences before starting medical school. I would love to have more insight before I commit to anything.

http://medicine.uchc.edu/prospective/hcop/meddent_prep.html

From a strictly practical perspective, I wouldn't suggest being interested in this unless it has really been a long time since you've taken science courses. The summer before medical school is precious and you should take that time to read and think nothing of science. Trust me, if you've taken the science in the last couple years, you will be fine. They brush over it all in the beginning for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone see the anatomy labs? Or are there any current students who can attest for the condition of the gross anatomy lab and how many students work on a cadaver Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Applicants aren't allowed to see the anatomy lab until second look weekend... Which all you accepted people's should absolutely come it, it's an awesome time. The anatomy lab is, like most schools, four students per cadaver. We have a pretty intense ventilation system that keeps the smell to a minimum. There is no such thing as NO smell, as you'll find out once you start seeing them, but it is mitigated fairly well. We have all the usual - radiographs, whiteboards, residents and preceptors that help out, and such.

Where do most students live? I have family that live 30 minutes away from the school (without traffic) north of Hartford would this be manageable or would it be best to live within walking distance of UCHC.

Thank you for your advice. :)

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm trying to plan for an interview I have with a different school on Dec 13th which I was hoping to cancel if I got accepted to UConn. I'm IS with a 34Q and 3.8 from an Ivy during undergrad. I interviewed here on 10/28 and have been at the "in committee stage" since 11/12. Does anyone have any insight as to when the next committee meeting is? I thought I did well during the interview and was hoping I would have heard back already. I've heard that the meetings are usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month and I was wondering if the fact that thanksgiving is this week would postpone the meeting? Anyone with any thoughts? UConn's definitely a top choice for me and I'd love to finally get in somewhere!!! Congrats to those already in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do most students live? I have family that live 30 minutes away from the school (without traffic) north of Hartford would this be manageable or would it be best to live within walking distance of UCHC.

Thank you for your advice. :)

I would say about 75% of the class lives in Talcott Forest across the street from the health center (myself being one of them). It sort of makes for a nice community and easy study (and rage) buddies. Some certainly do commute though, and it seems doable. We have one guy that comes all the way from New Haven every day, which is bonkers, but he gets it done!

Hey all, I'm trying to plan for an interview I have with a different school on Dec 13th which I was hoping to cancel if I got accepted to UConn. I'm IS with a 34Q and 3.8 from an Ivy during undergrad. I interviewed here on 10/28 and have been at the "in committee stage" since 11/12. Does anyone have any insight as to when the next committee meeting is? I thought I did well during the interview and was hoping I would have heard back already. I've heard that the meetings are usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month and I was wondering if the fact that thanksgiving is this week would postpone the meeting? Anyone with any thoughts? UConn's definitely a top choice for me and I'd love to finally get in somewhere!!! Congrats to those already in!

The committee did not meet this week.

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster! Accepted a few weeks ago and super excited! IS resident, but have an upcoming interview at Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson. Any other CT residents trying for RU?

Question : anyone know a cheap way to get from Hartford to campus on interview morning?

It looks like bus options are over 2 hours and a cab over $100... :/

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster! Accepted a few weeks ago and super excited! IS resident, but have an upcoming interview at Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson. Any other CT residents trying for RU?

What is it about Rutgers that you wouldn't decline their interview after being accepted at your state school?

Just want to have as many options as possible, and did not think it could hurt to get another interview under my belt. Also, looking to get out of CT, not that NJ is much different ha

Are there any Health Career Opportunity Fellows/Scholars in this forum? I received information via snail mail today but I had a few questions.

Also, completely random... what do students do for fitness at UCHC? I read that there is a small gym available. Do students pay for memberships to other gyms, fitness classes, pools, etc.?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. I was invited to interview here last week. I did my undergrad at UConn and am also a CT resident. My interview date is in the middle of January- am I essentially interviewing for the wait list? Or do I have a decent shot?
May I ask when you were complete for here? I'm curious what dates they are around for reviewing applications.

Are there any Health Career Opportunity Fellows/Scholars in this forum? I received information via snail mail today but I had a few questions.

Also, completely random... what do students do for fitness at UCHC? I read that there is a small gym available. Do students pay for memberships to other gyms, fitness classes, pools, etc.?

Thanks! :)

You're talking to an HCOP scholar right here. Ask away.

As far as fitness, there is a puny gym at the health center that no one uses. Everyone goes to big sky in newington. UCHCA PULLS A DEAL WHERE IT'S $15/mo. Idk how that became all caps but I don't feel like undoing it.

Question : anyone know a cheap way to get from Hartford to campus on interview morning?

It looks like bus options are over 2 hours and a cab over $100... :/

From Hartford to the health center in Farmington? Or to Storrs

Question... when sending an update letter to UConn pre-interview would it be detrimental to mention how I have been accepted to two schools but UConn is still my top choice school? Or is restating my interest in the program enough?

Why on earth would it be your first choice? I was kind of unimpressed on my interview day. Don't get me wrong- nice students, real homey, but kind of poor facilities. Location didn't seem that great, and I was a little weirded out by the lack of space for clinicals. Where have you been accepted, if you don't mind me asking?

Why on earth would it be your first choice? I was kind of unimpressed on my interview day. Don't get me wrong- nice students, real homey, but kind of poor facilities. Location didn't seem that great, and I was a little weirded out by the lack of space for clinicals. Where have you been accepted, if you don't mind me asking?

Well I live in CT ( just moved here 4 years ago) and go to undergrad in CT and I'm made a lot of connections with organizations locally that I want to be able to continue and I'm really into their urban scholars track option and global health options. I've been accepted into University of Vermont and Drexel but have not heard anything from UConn which has been discouraging because I'm in state and am in their range. Plus CT is GREAT for the outdoor activities I love to do and compared to where I live Farmington is a really nice area, nice and close to West Hartford as well. I would love to at least interview here to see if it really is the best fit, but as of now it's my number 1.

Well I live in CT ( just moved here 4 years ago) and go to undergrad in CT and I'm made a lot of connections with organizations locally that I want to be able to continue and I'm really into their urban scholars track option and global health options. I've been accepted into University of Vermont and Drexel but have not heard anything from UConn which has been discouraging because I'm in state and am in their range. Plus CT is GREAT for the outdoor activities I love to do and compared to where I live Farmington is a really nice area, nice and close to West Hartford as well. I would love to at least interview here to see if it really is the best fit, but as of now it's my number 1.
also i'd love to here more about your interview day and the lack of clinical space you are referring to, could you PM me ?

also i'd love to here more about your interview day and the lack of clinical space you are referring to, could you PM me ?

They are undergoing a lot of renovations at UCHC. Some of it could include expansion of clinical space. I wonder when second look will be. I am pretty much 100% going to be part of UCONN SOM entering class of 2014.

They are undergoing a lot of renovations at UCHC. Some of it could include expansion of clinical space. I wonder when second look will be. I am pretty much 100% going to be part of UCONN SOM entering class of 2014.
It's not an expansion of clinical space. Rotations are limited and there are only an increasing number of medical students for the same number of slots, with quinnipiac starting up.

So I'd like to dispel/clarify any confusion about this expansion. The Bioscience Connecticut project is roughly a $1.2 billion investment for economic growth in Connecticut. With this money, UConn attracted Jackson Laboratories to build a state of the art lab right next to the medical school, which will have a focus on personalized medicine and genomics. As a med student, this probably won't affect you much but will greatly expand the research endeavors of the university. Furthermore, a new outpatient facility called the UConn Health Outpatient Pavilion ($200 million, 300,000 sq ft) will immensely expand clinical space because specialties like opthalmology, rheumatology, cardiology, etc. will all have brand new spaces. Construction here is well underway and I think will be seeing patients in January of 2015. If you have been on campus recently, its the new building with green, glass windows. In addition, John Dempsey Hospital which currently only occupies a small corner of the UCHC building will be relocated to the new hospital tower, which broke ground several months ago. The number of beds will not increase but the physicsl size and emergency department will because they are transitioning to single bed rooms. Finally, the academic facilities are getting a major overhaul. Approximately 300,000 sq ft of new academic space will be built (for instance, the round about in front of the academic entrance is having an auditorium built on top of it.) New multipurpose rooms are being built to accommodate a more, small group learning environment. Many offices are being shuffled around, labs are getting a makeover.

So I'd like to dispel/clarify any confusion about this expansion. The Bioscience Connecticut project is roughly a $1.2 billion investment for economic growth in Connecticut. With this money, UConn attracted Jackson Laboratories to build a state of the art lab right next to the medical school, which will have a focus on personalized medicine and genomics. As a med student, this probably won't affect you much but will greatly expand the research endeavors of the university. Furthermore, a new outpatient facility called the UConn Health Outpatient Pavilion ($200 million, 300,000 sq ft) will immensely expand clinical space because specialties like opthalmology, rheumatology, cardiology, etc. will all have brand new spaces. Construction here is well underway and I think will be seeing patients in January of 2015. If you have been on campus recently, its the new building with green, glass windows. In addition, John Dempsey Hospital which currently only occupies a small corner of the UCHC building will be relocated to the new hospital tower, which broke ground several months ago. The number of beds will not increase but the physicsl size and emergency department will because they are transitioning to single bed rooms. Finally, the academic facilities are getting a major overhaul. Approximately 300,000 sq ft of new academic space will be built (for instance, the round about in front of the academic entrance is having an auditorium built on top of it.) New multipurpose rooms are being built to accommodate a more, small group learning environment. Many offices are being shuffled around, labs are getting a makeover.
Alright, so technically what I said is incorrect. There's going to be more physical space, but no increase in number of beds, and according to my interviewers no increase in number of clinical rotation slots.

In other news my app appears to have gone to committee.

Could someone talk about the professors/faulty at UCONN SOM? I recently spoke to an MD/PhD graduate of UCONN SOM who is doing his fellowship and he said that Netter MD SOM took a lot of UCONN SOM best professors. Is this something that incoming/prospective students should be wary of?

To my interview, wherever that is -- I haven't gotten details. I'm assuming the health center in Farmington. Any ideas?
A cab from Hartford to UCHC in Farmington should only cost around $30. But if you message me, I could help you out.

Could someone talk about the professors/faulty at UCONN SOM? I recently spoke to an MD/PhD graduate of UCONN SOM who is doing his fellowship and he said that Netter MD SOM took a lot of UCONN SOM best professors. Is this something that incoming/prospective students should be wary of?

Netter MD did take a lot of professors from UConn, along with basically the entire model of the UConn SOM. I wouldn't worry about it effecting the quality of your MD. The professors we have now are all great. There are always a few who you don't like here and there, but overall they have all been fantastic... And incredibly eager to teach us. Some even give out their phone numbers and we can call them at weird hours to ask questions. Bioscience CT is attracting some new faculty as well. I think something important to realize is the impact that Bioscience CT will have on UConn SOM. The research, excitement, and the national buzz it's creating makes it a cool time for you to be joining the program.

Hey does anyone know what time Lynda Fox is usually available? I've tried calling multiple times but it seems that the call always goes to her voicemail.

Clearly you have pnly visited big schools. My local school in Puerto rico has far less facilities and mores tudents and they accomodate just fine, maybe you have to be more competitive but they manage. UConn has a small classs ize and thats probably why. In addition it is also my first choice and when I visited it in 2009 i thought it was a great school and in a great location and surely no MD program is perfect. Trust me it could be much worse. Just because it didnt rock your boat in expectations doesnt mean you have to discourage others

Clearly you have pnly visited big schools. My local school in Puerto rico has far less facilities and mores tudents and they accomodate just fine, maybe you have to be more competitive but they manage. UConn has a small classs ize and thats probably why. In addition it is also my first choice and when I visited it in 2009 i thought it was a great school and in a great location and surely no MD program is perfect. Trust me it could be much worse. Just because it didnt rock your boat in expectations doesnt mean you have to discourage others
I wouldn't say that size correlates to resources by any means. I was actually really impressed by the two other small programs I've visited. Central Florida has a class of 120 with gorgeous facilities. CCLCM matriculates 32 per class and is a world beater. Sure I'd guess any school is better than the Caribbean, but you shouldn't set the bar low if you've other options.

I'm not trying to discourage others. As I said before, they've a nice, homey feel and their students seem happy. But I think you should also keep your eyes open to other issues, like clinical rotation slots, and facilities you'll be training in. Did anyone actually see the anatomy lab? Out of 12 interviews I've been on, uconn was the only one that didn't let us in. Big red flag there.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the next time the adcom is meeting? Also, how long does it take the status to change? I interviewed on 11/22 and my status still says "You have been at the Interview Invite stage since 09/30/2013" and "Our last contact with you was with Interview Pending on 09/30/2013." Thanks!

I wouldn't say that size correlates to resources by any means. I was actually really impressed by the two other small programs I've visited. Central Florida has a class of 120 with gorgeous facilities. CCLCM matriculates 32 per class and is a world beater. Sure I'd guess any school is better than the Caribbean, but you shouldn't set the bar low if you've other options.

I'm not trying to discourage others. As I said before, they've a nice, homey feel and their students seem happy. But I think you should also keep your eyes open to other issues, like clinical rotation slots, and facilities you'll be training in. Did anyone actually see the anatomy lab? Out of 12 interviews I've been on, uconn was the only one that didn't let us in. Big red flag there.
Puerto Rico's med schools NOT caribbean schools, they are american schools.

When i visted UConn in 2009 we visited the anatomy labs and they seemed very usual and much better equipped than our state school's. I remeber they told us it is 3-5 students per cadaver and it seemed clean, modern and well prepared.

I've gone on ten interviews, half showed the anatomy lab half didn't. I doubt it has any relevance at all.

My understanding was that UConn students primarily rotate at Hartford hospitals, so I don't really understand why you seem so fixated on the Farmington site?

I've gone on ten interviews, half showed the anatomy lab half didn't. I doubt it has any relevance at all.

My understanding was that UConn students primarily rotate at Hartford hospitals, so I don't really understand why you seem so fixated on the Farmington site?
It's not just farmington, it's the whole area that's saturated. I'm concerned about having to venture far and wide to get clinicals in, especially certain electives.

Re cadaver lab, it's one example. You can stack up the facilities, ranging from the sim lab to the library. Their obsolescence seems like it might indicate a lesser experience overall.

It's not just farmington, it's the whole area that's saturated. I'm concerned about having to venture far and wide to get clinicals in, especially certain electives.

Re cadaver lab, it's one example. You can stack up the facilities, ranging from the sim lab to the library. Their obsolescence seems like it might indicate a lesser experience overall.
Why on earth do you keep tuning in to this thread? You have acceptances in hand to other places you favor, loads of IIs, why haven't you withdrawn since you clearly feel this is a poor choice for you?

Why on earth do you keep tuning in to this thread? You have acceptances in hand to other places you favor, loads of IIs, why haven't you withdrawn since you clearly feel this is a poor choice for you?

For the first question, I feel the need to make others aware of the problems I saw with this school. I think it's in their best interests, and I felt I got a unique tidbit that the admin wasn't being candid about to other people. When I ask them a probing question of, "why is your med school class size so small, with a traditional curriculum that could accommodate twice its number, and an undergrad that is much larger by proportion?" I got the answer that they're limited by the number of clinical rotation slots. When I asked them "What happens when the first classes from Netter start doing clinicals, and they grow their class?" I got nothing. They acknowledged it's a problem, and didn't offer up solutions except to say that people would have to go to whatever rotations are available, including all corners of the state. Away rotations will be encouraged to get people out of dodge and free up slots for everyone else. This wasn't really something that I felt was advertised, so I think it's important that someone let people know. As I've said time and again, I'm not knocking the school or its students. They seem really happy. But as students who will be doing rotations when all this **** goes down, we're going to have to deal with it.

Now, if you guys prefer I save my opinions for myself and not poop in your pudding, just say so. It's up to you whether or not you want to listen to me, I'm not forcing anyone to. Unless people want clarification I'm done. You all can read what I've written, if you've questions PM me. It's obviously not being well received here.

Second question- I will most likely not matriculate. It's true. But I'm going to see if I get in (I paid the secondary fee after all, and drove my ass to farmington) and see what kind of financial aid package I get. They're still an accredited school, and I want to compare and contrast packages I get. I might not like ranging across the state of CT for my clinicals, and I might think the facilities are a little run down, but if it's significantly cheaper than other schools I'm at (It might be- you can get in-state after the first year) it might be worth it. Plus I've family nearby and a wife who needs to find a job. The more options the merrier.

Oh my, have I hurt your feelings? I would have thought that someone who slings sarcasm at others so blithely would have a thicker skin... While hearsay. the information itself is not uninteresting, the way you present it is objectionable in the extreme. I was prompted to question your comment because you mocked another poster for expressing intense interest in CT (their IS school) while your own metric is clearly founded in pragmatic ($) concerns. If nothing else, this should have led you to be more empathetic.

You are clearly the sort of OOS applicant CT should be jumping to snap up . I'm sure they will be so thrilled to underwrite your medical education!

Last edited:
Oh my, have I hurt your feelings? I would have thought that someone who slings sarcasm at others so blithely would have a thicker skin... While hearsay. the information itself is not uninteresting, the way you present it is objectionable in the extreme. I was prompted to question your comment because you mocked another poster for expressing intense interest in CT (their IS school) while your own metric is clearly founded in pragmatic ($) concerns. If nothing else, this should have led you to be more empathetic.

You are clearly the sort of OOS applicant CT should be jumping to snap up . I'm sure they will be so thrilled to underwrite your medical education!

I'm not getting in an argument with you- if you want to play games take yourself and your two posts (both angry, and directed at me- troll?) to pre-allo.

To anyone else- if I offended you I apologize, but it might be something to ask them more directly at an interview or second look. Hopefully, for everyone's sake this is actually hearsay. We're all going to be doctors and we're going to need the best we can get.

/topic