2013-2014 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rollinstone23,
what dates in December did the people who have heard a decision already interview on? Im surprised because it seemed at my interview we were told the committee reviews applications in order and were not even planning on meeting until mid January (I know they met early December like around Dec. 10th) but I didn't think that they had met after this date. I am assuming your status has to change from interview to committee before you hear a decision, although my status didn't change for about 2 months from complete to interview.

I think early december. I could be wrong (it was through the grapevine, you know how that goes :p) so I would take it with a grain of salt....there are always also all kinds of weird circumstances so maybe they were an exception to the rule, who knows! There were also people on here I think that interviewed only a week before me and heard back a while ago. And Adi_B interviewed on the same day as me but went to a committee almost a month sooner. No rhyme or reason it seems, I honestly think it's probably not worth trying to interpret lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone please shed some light on how the post-interview admissions process works? (Do the interviewers write reports on us? Do they attend the committee meeting? What happens at the committee meeting? Etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
They write a report but usually do not attend committee meetings.

The committee meetings have voting and non-voting members. How they choose i can only speculate, but i imagine it goes like this:

To get in, you need to have persuaded just one person via your application to advocate for you. He or she will make the case for you and persuade others to vote in your favor. If your application can't catch the interest of the likely dozen or more members each who has different backgrounds and interests you will not get in.

The committee meetings have voting and non-voting members. How they choose i can only speculate, but i imagine it goes like this:

To get in, you need to have persuaded just one person via your application to advocate for you. He or she will make the case for you and persuade others to vote in your favor. If your application can't catch the interest of the likely dozen or more members each who has different backgrounds and interests you will not get in.

Thank you!

Is there anyone on the committee that we met, or is it all based on recommendations written by the people we were interviewed by? For example, is Dr. Zeff on the committee?

Has anyone else who had their interview on 11/22 received a response? I'm dying from suspense over here!

Still no interview! IS, 3.6, 31mcat, uconn undergrad...anyone know if they are still interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone on the committee that we met, or is it all based on recommendations written by the people we were interviewed by? For example, is Dr. Zeff on the committee?

I don't believe Dr. Zeff is a voting member of the committee but I do think he sits on them. My suspicion is that while he does not routinely make or break any one person's application, he influences the criteria the committee looks for.

The voting members are often random clinical faculty that are seeing patients during the day. I met one by total accident when I tried to shadow and ask for career advice at UCHC.

got an email at 11:43AM today...waitlisted. Current uconn undergrad, interviewed 12/2. this really sucks, sanford said I should not have a problem getting in and my interviews went pretty well. Really worried right now, but I'll continue trusting the process. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear back.

I've also been waitlisted, which is a bummer because Dr. Zeff told me they'd love to have me as a student during our interview, but I guess he was just being polite.

Does anyone know how many people they generally put on the waitlist? I want to at least know my chances so I won't get my hopes up.

I've also been waitlisted, which is a bummer because Dr. Zeff told me they'd love to have me as a student during our interview, but I guess he was just being polite.

Does anyone know how many people they generally put on the waitlist? I want to at least know my chances so I won't get my hopes up.
I think in previous years they have put 150 people on the waitlist and the top third usually gets a spot. They've expanded the class size since that data was released so I'm not so sure for this cycle. My interviewer told me he was strongly recommending me as well. I sent an email to admissions asking when the last interviews would be and when a rank-ordered list might be compiled by. Ugh, UConn is one of my top choices and I would've really liked to have secured a spot.

I think in previous years they have put 150 people on the waitlist and the top third usually gets a spot. They've expanded the class size since that data was released so I'm not so sure for this cycle. My interviewer told me he was strongly recommending me as well. I sent an email to admissions asking when the last interviews would be and when a rank-ordered list might be compiled by. Ugh, UConn is one of my top choices and I would've really liked to have secured a spot.

If you get a reply to that email, please let me know what they say!

Has anyone who interviewed in either mid-late December heard anything yet? I'm wondering if the committee is waiting until next meeting for mid-late December people. Does anyone know generally about how many people are given acceptances? Just asking bc. Id assume more acceptances then class seats are given since admissions expects that not everyone offered an acceptance will matriculate.

Hang in there guys! Last year's thread can probably give you some insight to the waitlist process. I don't think they clear a third of the waitlist- probably more like a third of the top tier. But don't spend too much time agonizing over it- things vary hugely from year to year, and it can be hard to predict. Keep them updated (...gently) of any good changes to your application and keep your fingers crossed. I know it can suck- I've been there :) Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know how they determine your spot on the waitlist? Is it by stats like GPA and MCAT, or the order they interviewed you, or is it just how much they liked you?

Does anyone know how they determine your spot on the waitlist? Is it by stats like GPA and MCAT, or the order they interviewed you, or is it just how much they liked you?

The last one

sorry to hear that, im a uconn undergrad too and thought that if sanford liked you then you had a pretty solid shot at getting in. mind sharing your stats? youll probably get off the waitlist no worries

35Q, 3.7. My stats aren't the best, sanford said they definitely supported my application and show that I am capable, but my ECs and other stuff are what made me shine IMO. my friend is a UConn undergrad who had the same faculty interviewer as me and interviewed a week before I did. We both seemed to make the same impression on him, but he's holding onto an acceptance and I'm on the waitlist, so it's even more confusing and disheartening. I'm currently trying to set up a meeting with Sanford to get his opinion on what I should include in the LOI, my friend who got off the waitlist and is in the current 1st year class thinks his LOI is what pushed him over the edge and into the next year's class. Best of luck, hopefully we'll be classmates at UConn next year :).

Received my first acceptance here! Interviewed 11/15. I really love this school! Good luck to everyone still waiting! :)

Reactions: 1 users

A combination of the first and last one. They rank waitlist members as they place them on the waitlist. Once waitlist movement starts around MAy 15 (or whatever that final date is this year), they go straight down it by rank.

is uconn sending out anymore interviews this season?
wondering this as well...on the first year timeline on the status website, it says interview invites go out through January...so it'll probably be soon if so...but doesn't look like there is too much more time left :( bummed but had to expect it as an OOSer

does UConn respond to e-mails? I sent them an update and then sent another e-mail asking a question and asking if they got my update... no response. it also seems like either the secretary is always on her lunch break or she just doesn't answer the phone. I even left a voicemail, really polite, just asking if they could get back to me. no answer. im really disappointed. I applied two years ago, got interviewed, and rejected. this time I reapplied with a substantially stronger application- with even some of the activities they said they were looking for when I applied before- and didn't receive an ii and apparently cant get a response. im in state, decent stats and extracurriculars. has anyone else had a similar experience?

I also have been emailing the secretary of admissions and received an automatic reply stating she is out of the office Jan. 16 until Jan. 31st :( . Makes sense now why she would never pick up.....

Have people been emailing updates to their application to Ms. Lynda Fox or have they been emailing the updates to the [email protected] email address? I noted on the web site that UCONN states they do not want updates to the application (this is pre-interview however). I am pretty sure Dr. Zeff said during the interview that we can email updates though but I forget specifically what the address is, anyone have any ideas whether its to Lynda Fox or [email protected]?

Also any thoughts on when the next committee meeting is?

does UConn respond to e-mails? I sent them an update and then sent another e-mail asking a question and asking if they got my update... no response. it also seems like either the secretary is always on her lunch break or she just doesn't answer the phone. I even left a voicemail, really polite, just asking if they could get back to me. no answer. im really disappointed. I applied two years ago, got interviewed, and rejected. this time I reapplied with a substantially stronger application- with even some of the activities they said they were looking for when I applied before- and didn't receive an ii and apparently cant get a response. im in state, decent stats and extracurriculars. has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've had the same experience. I've called and left numerous messages since August with no return call. The only way I ever got any contact with them is through CC-ing Dr. Zeff on all my e-mails. Even then he only would respond sometimes. I'm pretty appalled with how Uconn handles their application season. Almost every other school I applied to or was accepted to responds to voice mails the very next day and are very polite. I'm in state and my stats are in their range and I've been accepted to 3 OOS schools and I have excellent research and community experience so I'm pissed I can't even get an interview in my resident state or can't even have any contact with admissions. The other schools at least make you feel like they appreciate all the hard work and money you have spent applying whereas Uconn just hides in some cave leaving us on edge.

Last edited:
I've had the same experience. I've called and left numerous messages since August with no return call. The only way I ever got any contact with them is through CC-ing Dr. Zeff on all my e-mails. Even then he only would respond sometimes. I'm pretty appalled with how Uconn handles their application season. Almost every other school I applied to or was accepted to responds to voice mails the very next day and are very polite. I'm in state and my stats are in their range and I've been accepted to 3 OOS schools and I have excellent research and community experience so I'm pissed I can't even get an interview in my resident state or can't even have any contact with admissions. The other schools at least make you feel like they appreciate all the hard work and money you have spend applying whereas Uconn just hides in some cave leaving us on edge.

Yeah, they suck. I would never normally think of asking for a refund, but it's really tempting with them.

Did anyone hear anything post interview from UCONN recently? Did the committee meet this week? I'm just wondering because it seems from previous posts that the committee meets every other week and releases acceptances the day after. What's the usual time between committee meeting and finding out their decision?

I feel like I am the only one posting, is anyone else who interviewed in December anxiously waiting to hear back from UCONN? If rejected post interview do you receive an email or just a letter via snail mail? For some reason I thought the committee would meet this week since they last met 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard anything back from them yet which is why I am starting to wonder if I was rejected via snail mail. Any thoughts are really appreciated!

Last time I interviewed they told me that the next committee meeting is around 2/17

Really?...that seems like a long time from now. About when did you interview?

Was that the next committee meeting then or the committee meeting that admissions thought your group would be reviewed?...Just wondering because I am pretty sure the committee met right after your interview since some people heard decisions the week of 1/12

When I interviewed I was told we should hear something late January early February so I was guessing any time around now, but if the committee doesn't meet until 2/17 ish I still have a long wait :(

Not sure if any current UCONN SOM are checking this page..but if you are does anyone have any clue as to how full the 2018 class is at this point? Are people primarily being placed on wait list only? Thanks and sorry for all the posts and questions.

Seems that the admissions process, as someone noted earlier, might be a bit random. I also interviewed in early January and someone that I know from my interview group was invited to the class of 2018 group on Facebook last week. Perhaps certain individuals are sent straight to the committee through an expedited process? I also spoke with an 'informant' yesterday and learned that the class will typically become completely full at the end of February/early March. So it doesn't seem that being waitlisted is the best option we can hope for at this point.

Hope that's helpful, KCCMadeline. Hang in there. I also tend to try to investigate what the nature of a situation is so that I might be more prepared to handle the consequences of the situation when it arises...but we really just create unnecessary anxiety in our lives when we do this. Deep breaths. Good luck to you!

FWIW, I interviewed in January and my application status switched to "in committee" on Feb 3.

Are they still giving out interview invites? Or are they very backed up?

I haven't heard anything from them at all yet and my website status says "You have been at the Application Complete stage since 09/12/2013."

I've even called them 3 times since then every month or so and checked that everything was fine.

Are they still giving out interview invites? Or are they very backed up?

I haven't heard anything from them at all yet and my website status says "You have been at the Application Complete stage since 09/12/2013."

I've even called them 3 times since then every month or so and checked that everything was fine.
They are still sending them out. I got an invite 2 weeks ago and they had four dates in Feb open. Good luck!

For those who have received a response from Dr. Zeff via email, what address did you use? I just used the [email protected] address and figured he would respond, especially since he was actually the one who did my faculty interview (my faculty member never showed). I would really like to contact him and don't want to be a nag and send him another email unless I know it's the right address I'm using. Thanks!

My faculty member never showed either. Inexcusable

For those who have received a response from Dr. Zeff via email, what address did you use? I just used the [email protected] address and figured he would respond, especially since he was actually the one who did my faculty interview (my faculty member never showed). I would really like to contact him and don't want to be a nag and send him another email unless I know it's the right address I'm using. Thanks!

Alternate status today. Bummed. I am now wait listed at the only 2 schools I interviewed at. Guess it's time to think about reapplying.