2013-2014 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For current students, do i absolutely need a car for Uconn? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when UCONN requires students to submit a non refundable deposit by or some sort of fee that confirms your matriculation? Just wondering because I feel like the admissions committee would be able to get a fairly reasonably grasp on how many accepted students will be matriculating by this date which would shed some light on if and how many spots will be open for alternates. From last years page it seems like the committee waited a very long time before prioritizing the alternate list however in speaking with some people it seems that this has and can be done earlier in the cycle then it was last year. If anyone, accepted students or current student have any thoughts/ knowledge on this please share. Also has anyone on the alternate list contacted admissions yet? Thanks and good luck for everyone!

For current students, do i absolutely need a car for Uconn? Thanks!

You can't finagle your way into doing medical school here sans a car, some people on my class do it. It's a little inconvenient though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when UCONN requires students to submit a non refundable deposit by or some sort of fee that confirms your matriculation? Just wondering because I feel like the admissions committee would be able to get a fairly reasonably grasp on how many accepted students will be matriculating by this date which would shed some light on if and how many spots will be open for alternates. From last years page it seems like the committee waited a very long time before prioritizing the alternate list however in speaking with some people it seems that this has and can be done earlier in the cycle then it was last year. If anyone, accepted students or current student have any thoughts/ knowledge on this please share. Also has anyone on the alternate list contacted admissions yet? Thanks and good luck for everyone!

So the way it works is that the school gives you two weeks to accept your admissions offer in the form of a deposit. You have until sometime in March or April (not sure the date this year - last year it was March 15) to hold multiple acceptances in this way. Once that day comes, you can only hold one acceptance for the school you plan on matriculating at. People tend to hold on to their multiple acceptances until the very last moment, so little to no waitlist movement occurs before then. Once that does happen and everyone lets go of their multiple spots in classes, however, waitlist movement tends to be fairly rapid. UConn does their waitlist offers on a biweekly basis - a burst of admissions offers once every two weeks until the class is full. How long THAT stage takes is entirely variable depending on how many decide to go elsewhere on the single acceptance deadline, how many people each offer burst accept, etc.

I, myself, was anxiously awaiting a waitlist answer so I definitely feel your pain. Got to keep in there and stay positive! I know it's hard!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks FijiGNR89 for the insight! It is a very frustrating position , as you know to be in. I am trying to stay positive though and not think too much about it.

On the supplemental application, where it asks for you to calculate your science and non-science GPAs - How do you fill this out?
It looks like this...
(A) 4 x _
(B) 3 x _

thank you

committee meetings are on Tuesdays, right? I interviewed on 2/10 and Dr. Zeff said we wouldn't hear until March. I'm hoping he meant early March.

Is there a certain date when they expect to be done with the interview cycle and send out the ranking of all of us on the waitlist? Or at least if anyone knows when that happened last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the next committee meeting is?
I interviewed 2/24 and they said the next committee meeting wasn't for another 6 weeks, which would be the week of 4/7 :/ It did seem awfully long to wait, though.

se
I interviewed 2/24 and they said the next committee meeting wasn't for another 6 weeks, which would be the week of 4/7 :/ It did seem awfully long to wait, though.
Seriously?!? Why do they have them so sporadically? So we may not know until after the multiple acceptance deadline. I wonder why when I asked how long we should expect before we hear they said up to 6 weeks... I interviewed at the end of Feb...

Last edited:

God I hope this isn't true.

I remember reading in the pdf brochure that the interview invites are given through March.

And isn't the multiple acceptance deadline on May 15, rather than March 15?

Not sure about the day of the week that the committee meetings are held. Has your status on the UCHC portal changed at all?

changed to "in committee" today. I guess it looks like there IS a committee meeting going on between now and next Friday.

I wouldn't judge your status of 'in committee' as an indicator of when the committee will meet next. I was in committee for 3 weeks before I received word that I am on the alternate list-- and my status has actually remained at the 'in committee' stage despite being notified of my alternate status weeks ago.

I was changed to "in commitee" today as well. My interview group isn't supposed to hear back until end of march, so the 3 week time frame would fit.

I wouldn't judge your status of 'in committee' as an indicator of when the committee will meet next. I was in committee for 3 weeks before I received word that I am on the alternate list-- and my status has actually remained at the 'in committee' stage despite being notified of my alternate status weeks ago.

ah, didn't know that. oh well.

Good luck to everyone applying! Interviewed 1/13, got alternate status email 2/19. Also curious whether the single acceptance day is truly March 15th as described above generously by FijiGNR89 or May 15th. Also I read one post above mentioning that the person asked Dr. Zeff if post-interview updates/letters of continued interest are accepted by UCONN and that the answer was yes. Did anybody else ask this question on interview day and what was the answer? Finally can anybody confirm that class size is jumping to 100 for the class entering this year because of BioScience CT? Thanks guys!

Are alternates ranked as they are placed on the list? Is there any way that we might be able to find out where we stand on the list prior to May?

I believe UConn is open to updates/LOI but not as much as other schools that tend to encourage it. My observation is that if you have something really important to say, say it in a strong letter and be done with it. And yes, the class size is increasing this year-- it is noted on the brochures and website.

Are alternates ranked as they are placed on the list? Is there any way that we might be able to find out where we stand on the list prior to May?

I believe UConn is open to updates/LOI but not as much as other schools that tend to encourage it. My observation is that if you have something really important to say, say it in a strong letter and be done with it. And yes, the class size is increasing this year-- it is noted on the brochures and website.

Thanks! My email said I would be updated in the next few months with a rank-ordered position so I"m guessing not unless you know a guy :( Someone posted above that applicants are ranked based on both how much they like you and statistics like GPA/MCAT,- and likely not by the order you were interviewed. Who can really say...

Has anyone on the alternate list contacted admissions yet regarding placement? Also, does anyone have any idea how many of us are on the alternate list? It doesn't seem like UCONN gives out rejections post interview....is everyone who interviews either placed on the alternate list or accepted? If this is that case I am afraid theres a lot of us on the list making our chances for a spot smaller

Has anyone on the alternate list contacted admissions yet regarding placement? Also, does anyone have any idea how many of us are on the alternate list? It doesn't seem like UCONN gives out rejections post interview....is everyone who interviews either placed on the alternate list or accepted? If this is that case I am afraid theres a lot of us on the list making our chances for a spot smaller

I have a couple friends who applied last year and the year before who got interviewed and subsequently rejected. So if the recent past is any indication, then they are probably rejecting some people after interview this year as well.

Yeah they give out rejections post interview. I know because I got rejected two years ago. My application severely lacked some stuff they were looking for.

I interviewed 2/24, just got an email - waitlisted :/ Keeping my fingers crossed, though I don't know how much waitlist movement there is.

I got an email today also. Waitlisted :(. Based on last year's forum, there was little movement off the waitlist. Hopefully they didn't over-accept again this year!

I got an email today also. Waitlisted :(. Based on last year's forum, there was little movement off the waitlist. Hopefully they didn't over-accept again this year!

when did you interview?

Did anyone from this last batch of emails get accepted? Wonder if they handed out all their acceptances already..

I got accepted. Interviewed 2/10. In state and very excited!! Don't lose hope!!

For what it's worth they're still sending out IIs, I just got one for April. Not sure if this is for the wait list or what. I'm just happy to finally hear something!

For what it's worth they're still sending out IIs, I just got one for April. Not sure if this is for the wait list or what. I'm just happy to finally hear something!
I just got an II as well, its def a surprise, pretty excited about it.

I emailed admissions about my place on the alternate list and they said no official ranking has been done but I am in the most competitive place on the preliminary list...... Wish I knew how many people were in this spot. I have a feeling it's a lot.

I emailed admissions about my place on the alternate list and they said no official ranking has been done but I am in the most competitive place on the preliminary list...... Wish I knew how many people were in this spot. I have a feeling it's a lot.
Thanks for the info, evisceration201.....How long did you have to wait for a response?

And are you using his admissions email or his neuro email? Because I've tried both and received no response from both.
I used both of them. They must just be backed up at the moment! Good luck!

anyone interview in February and NOT hear back yet? I read from old UConn threads that most people who get accepted hear back in 2-3 weeks, and if you don't, then you're not accepted. any truth to this?

Anyone know is they're still sending invites? I'm guessing their cycle is over...

waitlisted today. very very disappointed.