2013 TCOM Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder why they decided to take so few Med-Sci students this year? It looks like they only took around 44, which is about 15 less than they have been taking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder why they decided to take so few Med-Sci students this year? It looks like they only took around 44, which is about 15 less than they have been taking.

I wonder if the number of students accepted they quoted in the past included those that were accepted but chose to go elsewhere.

34 by my count (not including bridge, which classically are not included in this count since they are already 'in')...and there is a very good reason behind this: they put a chunk of the MedScis on the wait list, but they didn't account for this year to be such a sluggish year, thus why there is little to no movement at all. From what adcom said, they have many students there who are wait listed elsewhere. UT southwestern pulls people off late, which leads to a cascade of schools pulling off their wait list and then finally frees spots up at TCOM, allowing people to move in off their wait list. But, they said they thought there would be more movement, and alas, there was no more! Thus why we are stuck with only 35 MedScis from 2013 going to TCOM this year.

Last edited:
I wonder if the number of students accepted they quoted in the past included those that were accepted but chose to go elsewhere.
I don't think they include those persons...adcom said that they overestimated the wait list movement, and if we did include those who left their positions at TCOM to go elsewhere, we would probably have 50-60 as the quoted MedSci numbers. Remember, they used the polled numbers for the previous class right when the Fall semester started :(

Another MedSci accepted off the wait list

Just curious, where are you guys getting this information from?

Just by reading some of the posts it seems that only 35-50 people from the med sci program are accepted to tcom each year. Does anyone know what happens to the other 150 or so? I read that some get accepted to MD schools in tx as well but is there some sort of list where you can see where the medsci students end up?

I think most of the information comes from facebook, so take it with a grain of salt.

A fair amount do get accepted into Texas MD schools. I want to say probably around 15 got into A&M, and a few to tech. I know at least 2 people are going to UTMB, not sure about anywhere else.

Additionally, a chunk of students end up going to out of state DO schools. There are also quite a few (at least 20) students who don't apply to medical school until they've completed the program. I think I remember seeing somewhere that ~70% of the students who apply to medical school in the program get in somewhere (oos DO, TCOM, TX MD).

No list exist to my knowledge.

Ahh, thank you. I was wondering where everyone was getting the information from.

Facebook and just chatting with people...if I recall, the count for TCOM sans bridge is like 35 now, but the other info I have received came straight from adcom (just walked in and asked)

Their words were "unanticipated slow wait list year, thus the low number of MedScis going to TCOM this year"

Well my status still hasn't changed to "has been reviewed." Maybe there's still hope? Lol.
From what I have heard before (take with a teaspoon of salt, twice a day), the wait list runs until the first day of classes

If you do get in, you get to miss out on all the fun stuff the students are doing this week for orientation too :( but you'll be 4 years away* from being a doctor!

*Pending completion of coursework and completion of the required Step exams for COMLEX (and USMLE)

White coat ceremonies and the first day of classes have come and gone, and I am still wait listed for some reason...maybe they auto-waitlisted me for next year!

And that's a wrap...
Denial letters should be in the mail :(