2022-2023 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @FarmHand for sharing the questions! *** Hint: TCOM will send you an email with a link to the secondary - Or you can go to their website and find the setup for their portal here :UNTHSC/TCOM admissions portal

2022-2023 UNTHSC/TCOM Secondary Essay Prompts: (character limit includes spaces) (Similar but not exactly the same as last year's questions)

1. What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (2,000 characters)

2. If you attended more than two colleges/universities, explain why. Community colleges are not needed. (1,000 characters)

3. If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know.(1,000 characters)

4. Did you live in a single parent household?
If yes, number of years/months:

5. Do you consider yourself financially disadvantaged?
If yes, please explain.(1,000 characters)

6. Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged?
If yes, please explain. (1,000 characters)

7. One of the values of the University of North Texas Health Science Center is Integrity (uphold the highest ethical standards) which can be described as someone who:

- does what is right, not just what is easy, even if no one is looking
- conducts themselves with honesty, trustworthiness and dependability
- is transparent in actions
- owns, corrects and learns from successes and failures

Please select a specific instance where you have demonstrated Integrity and describe how this is indicative of your character (2,000 characters).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Below are the prompts for this year

1. What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (2,000 character limit including spaces)

2. If you attended more than two colleges/universities, explain why. Community colleges are not needed. (1,000 character limit including spaces)

3. If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know.(1,000 character limit including spaces)

4. Did you live in a single parent household?
If yes, number of years/months:

5. Do you consider yourself financially disadvantaged?
If yes, please explain.(1,000 character limit including spaces)

6. Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged?
If yes, please explain. (1,000 character limit including spaces)

7. One of the values of the University of North Texas Health Science Center is Integrity (uphold the highest ethical standards) which can be described as someone who:

- does what is right, not just what is easy, even if no one is looking
- conducts themselves with honesty, trustworthiness and dependability
- is transparent in actions
- owns, corrects and learns from successes and failures

Please select a specific instance where you have demonstrated Integrity and describe how this is indicative of your character (2,000 character limit).

Complete 5/19. Application status in the portal moved to "application is in review" sometime during this past week. Prior to today/this week, my app had not appeared in the myHSC portal. Hopefully receive an II soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 5/19. Application status in the portal moved to "application is in review" sometime during this past week. Prior to today/this week, my app had not appeared in the myHSC portal. Hopefully receive an II soon

Did you have your LOR sent in already?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you have your LOR sent in already?
I had 4 LORs with my TMDSAS app. Was not able to acquire a DO letter unfortunately. I had my LORs sent to interfolio ~1 month before TMDSAS opened. Once it opened, I submitted my LORs via interfolio.

I'm a bit confused. Do we wait for an invitation to complete the secondary or do we initiate that process on our own via the website?

I'm a bit confused. Do we wait for an invitation to complete the secondary or do we initiate that process on our own via the website?

Initiate on your own. They have the secondary portal on the website and they'll attach your submission to your profile whenever they begin processing it

Fight your confusion with investigation on the TMDSAS site and TCOM site
I'm going to be honest with you, with how confusing this process can be at some points, the TCOM website did not seem clear to me lol. It also could be my brain being fried from secondary writing

I'm going to be honest with you, with how confusing this process can be at some points, the TCOM website did not seem clear to me lol. It also could be my brain being fried from secondary writing

No it's not clear at all on the website I only knew that from attending an info session with admissions

The TMDSAS site ( see the after submitting section) explains that TCOM does not send out invitations, the initiative is on you.
Good luck with your apps and don’t let the work get you down.
After submitting there will be a long long long period of waiting so please keep yourself busy with other things :)

I added the link to the TCOM portal on the top post of this thread and also here: UNTHSC/TCOM admissions portal

Last edited:
The TMDSAS site ( see the after submitting section) explains that TCOM does not send out invitations, the initiative is on you.
Good luck with your apps and don’t let the work get you down.
After submitting there will be a long long long period of waiting so please keep yourself busy with other things :)

I added the link to the TCOM portal on the top post of this thread and also here: UNTHSC/TCOM admissions portal
I thought the same thing but for some reason, TCOM actually emailed me a secondary invitation complete with login info and the whole nine. Not sure if this is standard procedure.

I thought the same thing but for some reason, TCOM actually emailed me a secondary invitation complete with login info and the whole nine. Not sure if this is standard procedure.
Got something similar from tcom. I got an email from them saying my app was added to their school records and gave me login info to access my school profile along with some info on how to access the secondary 🤷

Members don't see this ad :)
Got something similar from tcom. I got an email from them saying my app was added to their school records and gave me login info to access my school profile along with some info on how to access the secondary 🤷
Okay- just when we think we have it figured out…
The TMDSAS page implied you would have to go do things yourself. It’s nice that TCOM mails you the link.

What's crazy is that I was able to access the secondary application last night after setup, but cannot figure out how to get back to it today. No issue with the other secondaries from TMDSAS schools.

What's crazy is that I was able to access the secondary application last night after setup, but cannot figure out how to get back to it today. No issue with the other secondaries from TMDSAS schools.
I got a similar email and set the account up. When you get the account set up it will connect to the secondary app if you've already started it.

I got a similar email and set the account up. When you get the account set up it will connect to the secondary app if you've already started it.

I set it up but the login doesn't work today. Do I need to create a new account because I didn't start the secondary app when I created the first account?

I set it up but the login doesn't work today. Do I need to create a new account because I didn't start the secondary app when I created the first account?
When you log into the "My HSC" portal navigate to secondary via "Tasks," or "Admission." It should take you to another login where you can either "start a new application" or "find an existing application." If you have already created a secondary application prior to receiving the email from TCOM then you can navigate to the "find existing application" and search for your application using the ID and password you previously created when you first started the secondary.

When you log into the "My HSC" portal navigate to secondary via "Tasks," or "Admission." It should take you to another login where you can either "start a new application" or "find an existing application." If you have already created a secondary application prior to receiving the email from TCOM then you can navigate to the "find existing application" and search for your application using the ID and password you previously created when you first started the secondary.

I created the app after receiving the email. I tried navigating to the secondary app doing just what you described, but it would not accept my login and password.

I created the app after receiving the email. I tried navigating to the secondary app doing just what you described, but it would not accept my login and password.
Hmm. Maybe you have to create a new secondary application?

Hmm. Maybe you have to create a new secondary application?

That's what I'm thinking. I'll try a bit later and report back. Thanks for all of your help!

Edit: You do create a new secondary app. You simply use the username and password you'd previously set up, and it populates the secondary app. Seems like if you entered the secondary app but didn't fill any of it out, it isn't saved.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking. I'll try a bit later and report back. Thanks for all of your help!

Edit: You do create a new secondary app. You simply use the username and password you'd previously set up, and it populates the secondary app. Seems like if you entered the secondary app but didn't fill any of it out, it isn't saved.
Glad you figured it out! Good luck with your application :)

Is there really no way we can see our secondary application after submission?

Is there really no way we can see our secondary application after submission?
It looks like no. When I attempted to pull it back up this is the message I received:

There is 'Complete' application with that Locator ID and PIN

You will not be able to see it because you had submitted it. For further assistance, please contact TCOM Web Services via email at [email protected] or contact us at: 817-735-2003

Can you directly send UNTHSC letters via interfolio? I think I read a post that you can send it to their email but not sure if you can send it via interfolio. TMDSAS decided to reject my DO doctor letter even though it has a signature, according to interfolio and other application services, oh well. Maybe it was for the best. I'm not sure if MD schools would want a letter that is focused on osteopathy. maybe not.

Can you directly send UNTHSC letters via interfolio? I think I read a post that you can send it to their email but not sure if you can send it via interfolio. TMDSAS decided to reject my DO doctor letter even though it has a signature, according to interfolio and other application services, oh well. Maybe it was for the best. I'm not sure if MD schools would want a letter that is focused on osteopathy. maybe not.
I don't know about TMDSAS rejecting it but you can either have them email it as an attachment to [email protected] or submit it through interfolio, just make sure you include it on your secondary app

So I can have interfolio email it directly to the school?
Interfolio could probably send it to them since that's a part of their services, however I think the deciding factor is whether the school will accept it. I would definitely reach out to them and ask! The worst they can say is no.

Reactions: 1 users
Could it be that you're missing the date on that letter?

they got back to me, they said the signature was in "signature font," which shouldn't matter given that their policy says digital signatures are ok if turned into the evaluator portal, but maybe they mean like handwritten using a keypad?? idk, I dont feel like reaching out to my letter writer tbh but I probably will if UNTHSC also deems it unacceptable. I should probably ask them.

they got back to me, they said the signature was in "signature font," which shouldn't matter given that their policy says digital signatures are ok if turned into the evaluator portal, but maybe they mean like handwritten using a keypad?? idk, I dont feel like reaching out to my letter writer tbh but I probably will if UNTHSC also deems it unacceptable. I should probably ask them.

Yeah, I would assume that's what it means. I don't think it's a huge request for your letter writer, either, but if TCOM is cool with it, then no need!

Does anyone know what they mean by "educationally disadvantaged"? I tried looking online for a definition but couldn't really find anything.

Does anyone know what they mean by "educationally disadvantaged"? I tried looking online for a definition but couldn't really find anything.
Usually it means you went to a poor performing school district/school and didn't have access to rigorous courses that prepared you for college.

2. If you attended more than two colleges/universities, explain why. Community colleges are not needed. (1,000 characters)
I graduated in four years from my primary institution. Afterwards, I did a post-bacc at a local institution, and then I decided to attend an SMP. In total three schools.

Do you think they're wanting me to explain why I went from school to school? Or is this intended for the applicant that attends multiple schools before receiving their undergraduate degree?

I emailed UNTHSC for clarification about a month ago and haven't received guidance.

Any help or advice is certainly appreciated!

3. If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application. Indicate any additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, additions to your extracurricular activities, name change, or anything else you feel the Admissions Committee should know.(1,000 characters)
In this space . . . . I was wondering if it would be appropriate to talk about an impactful experience at TCOM. They hosted an open patient simulation a while back. It was impactful to me because the presentation of the patient happened to coincide with a research topic that I had been studying for several years.

Or is this space really reserved for the above items like grade changes, new editions to ECs, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated in four years from my primary institution. Afterwards, I did a post-bacc at a local institution, and then I decided to attend an SMP. In total three schools.

Do you think they're wanting me to explain why I went from school to school? Or is this intended for the applicant that attends multiple schools before receiving their undergraduate degree?

I emailed UNTHSC for clarification about a month ago and haven't received guidance.

I would just be safe and explain. They may not care, but if they're looking for a reason that you decided to do the SMP and they don't have one, they may be put off.

In this space . . . . I was wondering if it would be appropriate to talk about an impactful experience at TCOM. They hosted an open patient simulation a while back. It was impactful to me because the presentation of the patient happened to coincide with a research topic that I had been studying for several years.

Or is this space really reserved for the above items like grade changes, new editions to ECs, etc?

Thanks in advance!
I was also wondering about this.

I did something similar and went ahead and explained it. Even if that's not the target student they're asking for clarification on, it gives you a chance to discuss your post-bacc/SMP coursework. I used it to (briefly) tell my story as a post-bacc student. I included a community college I took a few classes at during my post-bacc as well and mentioned that I knew they said it wasn't necessary; In my case, since I was already explaining my circumstances, I thought it was valid to include them. May not have been the right thing to do, but I don't think there's really any harm in including this info in case they did want it.

Last edited:
I was also wondering about this.
I am no arbiter of what is the right thing to do, but they did open it up for anything to mention so I would take that to mean anything, including that experience. If it doesn't fit into the space you have for the osteopathic medicine prompt, I don't see why it's not reasonable to include it under that prompt. It's a very open-ended statement, so I think anything goes.

Are you applying for early decision program?

Screenshot 2022-07-07 224535.png