2022-2023 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SDN really needs to add the skull emoji as a reaction to posts because what in the world šŸ’€
when you donā€™t have an II you have to cope šŸ˜­

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Okay, why are they sending me random emails, like just let me know Iā€™m rejected or somethingā€¦what are the chances of getting a II at this point?

Reactions: 4 users
Okay, why are they sending me random emails, like just let me know Iā€™m rejected or somethingā€¦what are the chances of getting a II at this point?
It won't stop even once you're accepted, I have a friend who's already at a different medical school and they still gets these emails lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone recall if TCOM provides students with a laptop or ipad?

Is there a second visit or tour or anything for this school?
I know that there are tours offerred by the school that you would just schedule through their website. But I'm not sure if they're planning on having one day for everyone to come by.

Can you give any insight as to how TCOM views interviews in determining the A/WL/R list?
I can't say. I was only an interviewer and was not a member of the admissions committee. I forwarded my forms to the admissions committee and that's the last I ever heard.
Not sure if this helps, but HSC Policy 15.503, "TCOM - Applicant Selection", talks about how they rank applicants and it briefly mentions the interviews. It's a public policy that can be viewed here: https://unthsc.navexone.com/content/dotNet/documents/?docid=315&public=true

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone recall if TCOM provides students with a laptop or ipad?
Our tech package includes a MacBook Pro, 2TB external drive, ethernet cable & adapter, and a USB-C hub included in the first semester's fees! This year we got the 2020 M1 MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, since we started just after the M2 MBP came out, but I wouldn't be surprised if y'all got the M2 for next year :giggle:. Everyone has to use the school-provided laptop "so nobody has a hardware performance advantage over anyone else during exams", is what I'm told by IT, but it's still yours to keep after you graduate!

Do they send any acceptance letters or package in the mail?
I probably should've condensed my last two replies all into one mega-reply, but I didn't get anything in the mail after acceptance. I was accepted off WL though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our tech package includes a MacBook Pro, 2TB external drive, ethernet cable & adapter, and a USB-C hub included in the first semester's fees! This year we got the 2020 M1 MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, since we started just after the M2 MBP came out, but I wouldn't be surprised if y'all got the M2 for next year :giggle:. Everyone has to use the school-provided laptop "so nobody has a hardware performance advantage over anyone else during exams", is what I'm told by IT, but it's still yours to keep after you graduate!
So we technically don't have to "pay" for the laptop bundle since it's included in the first semester fees?

So we technically don't have to "pay" for the laptop bundle since it's included in the first semester fees?
Yep! Since it's in fees, it's considered part of your total cost of attendance that gets send to the DOE/FAFSA for financial aid purposes. The Cost of Attendance breakdown on the website isn't entirely accurate, it just takes the total fees for the year and divides it evenly into both semesters. My fees for the F22 semester were ~$5,600 mostly because of the technology package, while my S23 fees are a lot lower at ~$1,300.

Yep! Since it's in fees, it's considered part of your total cost of attendance that gets send to the DOE/FAFSA for financial aid purposes. The Cost of Attendance breakdown on the website isn't entirely accurate, it just takes the total fees for the year and divides it evenly into both semesters. My fees for the F22 semester were ~$5,600 mostly because of the technology package, while my S23 fees are a lot lower at ~$1,300.
Okay awesome, and I just noticed it is neatly laid out on their website. Side note: I am in love with TX in-state tuition. It's just so much more affordable.

Anybody know where to look up UNT-HSC TCOM's most recent admissions statistics from the last admissions cycle, 2021-2022? The only latest ones the TCOM website released was from 2019.

Anybody know where to look up UNT-HSC TCOM's most recent admissions statistics from the last admissions cycle, 2021-2022? The only latest ones the TCOM website released was from 2019.

Not sure if it's published anywhere, but the stats are similar from what we were told on interview day except for the fact that they mentioned they're only interviewing ~660 this year (less than previous years) and that their average MCAT score last year was a 508.

II this morning!!! So excited and nervous because this is my top choice!

• Love
Not sure if it's published anywhere, but the stats are similar from what we were told on interview day except for the fact that they mentioned they're only interviewing ~660 this year (less than previous years) and that their average MCAT score last year was a 508.
Was what you were told on interview day similar to 2018 and 2019's admissions data featured on their website?

II received around noon! Only one date available on 1/10. Was complete late July/early august Idr

Reactions: 5 users
II received around noon! Only one date available on 1/10. Was complete late July/early august Idr
Dang, 1/10 is the last day of interviews available for UNT-HSC TCOM? Does that mean after 1/10, it's over for those who didn't already get an II at this point in the cycle? UNT pretty much has exhausted all its interview spots?

Dang, 1/10 is the last day of interviews available for UNT-HSC TCOM? Does that mean after 1/10, it's over for those who didn't already get an II at this point in the cycle? UNT pretty much has exhausted all its interview spots?
Although this could be the case, it could also be that they are only opening up interview days one at a time as they send out IIs.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree that they mightā€™ve sent spots one at a time because I there was only one spot for me to sign up

My best friend received a II this morning, check your emails YALL!

Reactions: 5 users
Any idea when the next round of pre-matches will come?

Does adcoms know if you do an in person campus tour?

I have a friend applying who interviewed in late September and sent a thank you letter to the UNTHSC Admissions email address ~4 days later. She received no reply and was wondering if she should send something again as this is her top choice.

I have a friend applying who interviewed in late September and sent a thank you letter to the UNTHSC Admissions email address ~4 days later. She received no reply and was wondering if she should send something again as this is her top choice.
I did the same thing and didnā€™t get a reply.

they will file it but usually not reply to it. Sending another one is too much and you don't need to ask them if they got it :)

Is sending a thank you letter recommended? I always hear mixed things on this lol
I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t be recommended. I always saw it as being polite and professional šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Does TCOM mail any letters or anything after you get accepted?

12 more days for pre matches. Although, I do not anticipate them sending anymore out

Does anyone know why thereā€™s no plastic surgery category in the residency match list? Does that mean no one matched into plastic from this school, ever??

Does anyone know why thereā€™s no plastic surgery category in the residency match list? Does that mean no one matched into plastic from this school, ever??
Lol it's a DO school. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any DOs across the country match plastics except for 1-2 a year (IF THAT). Now you could do gen surg then do a fellowship. Also the category on their list only includes 4 years, not every year prior to that or even last year.

Lol it's a DO school. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any DOs across the country match plastics except for 1-2 a year (IF THAT). Now you could do gen surg then do a fellowship. Also the category on their list only includes 4 years, not every year prior to that or even last year.
Theyā€™ve had derm and ophto and neuro

Theyā€™ve had derm and ophto and neuro
Plastics has an extreme bias towards DOs from my understanding. Regardless, match lists tend to be reflective of the class's goals rather than student success. More likely than not students at TCOM just simply don't pursue plastics for various reasons.

It all depends on whether the DO schools have their own residencies in that field.

Is plastic surgery offered in any of the hospitals affiliated with any of the DO schools? To me surgery as a field does not necessarily reflect osteopathic medicine.

Last edited:
This group will certainly disagree :) : Overview
I am not disagreeing but rather trying to validate why plastic surgery might not exist.

If surgery fields are being supported since 1927, should n't more people be matching to neuro, ortho etc on par with MDs? Is it that the osteopathy hospital residencies dont support these specialties at all of their hospitals?

TCOM is done with interviews for this cycle according to office of admissions

• Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Just withdrew my pre-match offer, hope one of yall can benefit from it! Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
TCOM is done with interviews for this cycle according to office of admissions
If they are done with interviews this cycle, why haven't the remaining applicants who haven't heard anything back since submitting secondaries been notified of a rejection? I submitted a secondary to UNT-HSC TCOM and haven't heard anything back.