-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Duke University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think I should stop reading this thread now haha. The crew of our sinking Duke ship is dwindling and I'm still at the helm.
Bridge here, hull breach confirmed.I think I should stop reading this thread now haha. The crew of our sinking Duke ship is dwindling and I'm still at the helm.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long time lurker here, so glad there are least a few other people in the boat still. I interviewed in September and I was very surprised to be invited at all. Still no word this week. I also moved recently and have no idea if any mail I get will actually go to the right address... I just wish I didn't care anymore 🙁
I'm finding harder and harder to believe that people that don't get the phone calls will be accepted via email only.
You gotta help us out here @GTHC31
I also find it hard to believe that acceptances will be given out past today, considering tomorrow is an off day and Monday is probably the day waitlists and rejections will leach out.
You gotta help us out here @GTHC31
I also find it hard to believe that acceptances will be given out past today, considering tomorrow is an off day and Monday is probably the day waitlists and rejections will leach out.
I left the thread and headed over to the bar to clear my head. Duke/Syracuse basketball game is being televised. Ha. Ha. Ha.
Any news this morning?
Last edited:
Yeah, I still lurk this thread expecting to see a post along the lines of:
In other news, a group of duke MS1 stole personal files of applicants applying to duke som class of 2019 from the admissions office and cold called them pretending to be admissions officers. Duke has retracted those offers and apologies for the inconvenience.
In other news, a group of duke MS1 stole personal files of applicants applying to duke som class of 2019 from the admissions office and cold called them pretending to be admissions officers. Duke has retracted those offers and apologies for the inconvenience.
I'd rather have a call than not. But at this point I can understand how you accepted people might be worried.Anyone else fear they simply hallucinated the phone call due to lack of email/portal change/physical letter?
Anyone else feel they simply hallucinated interviewing at duke because of the radio silence on their end this week? HahahAnyone else fear they simply hallucinated the phone call due to lack of email/portal change/physical letter?
But in all seriousness that happened to me for another school and it definitely was unsettling waiting for the letter! Gotta see it to believe it I guess
If they did that I would cry.Yeah, I still lurk this thread expecting to see a post along the lines of:
In other news, a group of duke MS1 stole personal files of applicants applying to duke som class of 2019 from the admissions office and cold called them pretending to be admissions officers. Duke has retracted those offers and apologies for the inconvenience.
Yeah, I still lurk this thread expecting to see a post along the lines of:
In other news, a group of duke MS1 stole personal files of applicants applying to duke som class of 2019 from the admissions office and cold called them pretending to be admissions officers. Duke has retracted those offers and apologies for the inconvenience.
So cruel, and yet I wouldn't be surprised at this point
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I keep thinking it was a fever-induced dream. There is a NC number on my phone, so hopefully it was real?Anyone else fear they simply hallucinated the phone call due to lack of email/portal change/physical letter?
If they did that I would cry.
It'd be a nice March fools joke for next year though, no?
D
deleted643377
I'm distracting myself by switching between Western and Russian media. Very different stories of what's going on lol
At least you got a phone call!!! No complaining! Haha I kid....congrats....I'm sure you guys are golden.
Sorry didn't mean to be insensitive or anything! Just midterms stress getting to me I guess haha.
At least you got a phone call!!! No complaining! Haha I kid....congrats....I'm sure you guys are golden.
Nah that's fair. I'll stop posting til emails come out! I wish you guys the best!
This thread has been nothing but supportive! I think that says a lot about you guys! You should look at last years thread this time of year...quality entertainment as well!
Whoever applies next year and looks at this thread later for guidance is going to get nice and confused about what to expect 
D
deleted643377
What do we know about wait list movement? I saw one post earlier claiming that about half the class ultimately comes off the wait list. Do we have anything to back this up? Also, what do we think is a reasonable timeline for the movement? I know I'm getting ahead of myself as the WL/R emails haven't come out yet, but I like to stay naively optimistic
Can a current student comment on where the clinical rotations take place? I know that they are will within the Duke University Health System, but are all facilities in close proximity to the medical school, or are there some that require driving a further distance to?
They aren't actually all within the Duke Uni Health System. I know family med has rotations in other towns and cities. The other rotations do require some driving though, even within DUHS.Can a current student comment on where the clinical rotations take place? I know that they are will within the Duke University Health System, but are all facilities in close proximity to the medical school, or are there some that require driving a further distance to?
Has anyone looked at the portal... I'm too afraid
Has anyone looked at the portal... I'm too afraid
No changes to the portal. I expect tomorrow will be the day, though we all know how useless these reasonable expectations can be 😀
Has anyone looked at the portal... I'm too afraid
Just checked. Nothing new there.
As for waitlist movement, I am a reapp and was waitlisted at Duke last year. From what I remember in the 2013-2014 threads they said in the 2013 cycle, Duke accepted ~210(?) people and ended up with 10ish extra that they had to expand the class size for. Last year some MS1 I believe mentioned they were accepting ~175(?) on the first round, and there was a healthy # of people coming off the waitlist but I am not sure if its half the class size...
Update: checking the US news admission stats, they accepted 201 people two cycles ago (2013), and 113 enrolled, and knowing there were no waitlist movement that year about 90 people withdrew from their offer, or about 45%. On the Duke website, there are 430 students in the SOM, average ~107.5/year, so there target size is perhaps around 100-110. I'm not sure how many enrolled last year, but if they did accept around 175, 175*55%~96 meaning they probably extended ~10 additional offers to waitlisters. Again these # are from US News, Duke website, and what I remember from last year, so take it with a grain of salt haha. (edited to change people withdrawing to % instead of hard 90, since more acceptance = more withdrawal)
Last edited:
So there is a chance at being re-invited for an interview if you are wait listed? That makes me feel little better. I still have some hope of getting in this year...... but maybe the key is to abandon all hope and accept my fate.Just checked. Nothing new there.
As for waitlist movement, I am a reapp and was waitlisted at Duke last year. From what I remember in the 2013-2014 threads they said in the 2013 cycle, Duke accepted ~210(?) people and ended up with 10ish extra that they had to expand the class size for. Last year some MS1 I believe mentioned they were accepting ~175(?) on the first round, and there was a healthy # of people coming off the waitlist but I am not sure if its half the class size...
So there is a chance at being re-invited for an interview if you are wait listed? That makes me feel little better. I still have some hope of getting in this year...... but maybe the key is to abandon all hope and accept my fate.
I believe so. Also based on what others have counted, 30 calls on sdn so far, and in past two years there were about 175-200 acceptances....so either some acceptees really don't get calls...or sdn represent much less of the app population than we think 30/175~17%, 30/200~15%.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm thinking out of region/state folks are getting calls. Just my guess. It could take some persuasion to get some studs to come to Durham when they have equally strong academic options in Chicago, NYC, Cali, etc.I believe so. Also based on what others have counted, 30 calls on sdn so far, and in past two years there were about 175-200 acceptances....so either some acceptees really don't get calls...or sdn represent much less of the app population than we think 30/175~17%, 30/200~15%.
re-invited for a second interview? what? noooooo!So there is a chance at being re-invited for an interview if you are wait listed? That makes me feel little better. I still have some hope of getting in this year...... but maybe the key is to abandon all hope and accept my fate.
re-invited for a second interview? what? noooooo!
I'm almost positive they meant if you are wait-listed, ultimately unsuccessful, and reapply.
I'm thinking out of region/state folks are getting calls. Just my guess. It could take some persuasion to get some studs to come to Durham when they have equally strong academic options in Chicago, NYC, Cali, etc.
That'd be interesting, because from what I read usually they call their own first...and yea, the re-invite meaning next cycle.
That is what I meant as well.I'm almost positive they meant if you are wait-listed, ultimately unsuccessful, and reapply.
So there is a chance at being re-invited for an interview if you are wait listed? That makes me feel little better. I still have some hope of getting in this year...... but maybe the key is to abandon all hope and accept my fate.
Yes, someone on my interview day was interviewing at Duke for the 2nd year in a row he told me.
Has anyone heard anything today? I know that originally they told us between 2/23 and 3/2 but when people called this week they told us were should hear by the 1st... The day has come and gone and I am going to go insane waiting one more day...
I didn't expect anything to happen today, it being a Sunday and all.
It should pick back up tomorrow, but last year they picked it back up with waitlists/rejections not acceptances.
So, who knows.
It should pick back up tomorrow, but last year they picked it back up with waitlists/rejections not acceptances.
So, who knows.
Accepted this afternoon! Interviewed early. After loosing hope, it made the phone call extra special. It is really exciting to pull your phone out of your pocket and see Durham NC on the screen. Special stuff! Best of luck to the rest waiting, if I got in this late, there is yet hope.
Congrats! Do you mind if I ask what time they called?Accepted this afternoon! Interviewed early. After loosing hope, it made the phone call extra special. It is really exciting to pull your phone out of your pocket and see Durham NC on the screen. Special stuff! Best of luck to the rest waiting, if I got in this late, there is yet hope.
Like an hour ago.
Long time lurker here - but since I have been gut wrenched in following the updates of this thread, I just wanted to report that I got the call today!
8:08 PM EST; interviewed in October, last name early in the alphabet. Member of the admissions committee and the person I had my personal MMI session with.
He said e-mails would come out soon and that second look would be the 21st of March.
8:08 PM EST; interviewed in October, last name early in the alphabet. Member of the admissions committee and the person I had my personal MMI session with.
He said e-mails would come out soon and that second look would be the 21st of March.
My bladder is getting fatter with matter. Tomorrow we should know.
Got the call about 10 minutes ago, accepted around 8:20 EST! Had really given up hope following this thread; good luck to everyone else waiting! I hope good news is in store for all of you, as well. Gonna go chug a bottle of whiskey in celebration.
I now believe the Admissions woman when she said not everyone accepted will receive a call. It seems to depend on each applicant's ADCOM representative? Can't wait for tomorrow!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
w
who called you?Got the call about 10 minutes ago, accepted around 8:20 EST! Had really given up hope following this thread; good luck to everyone else waiting! I hope good news is in store for all of you, as well. Gonna go chug a bottle of whiskey in celebration.
w
who called you?
Don't remember the name (was too excited and half listening), but it was a member of the adcom - I had never met him previously.
who called you?Got a call this evening. Super excited and humbled to have been accepted here.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K