You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 East Tennessee State University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
One of my top choices! Are there any current students that could highlight some of the pros/cons here? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And that is why I did NOT apply EDP! Couldn't afford to put all my eggs in one basket.When you apply ED.. you cannot apply anywhere till you find from ETSU..is that right?
I applied early decision! This is my top choice! I am a reapplicant, and I am still on the waitlist from last application cycle. Fingers crossed!Submitted for Early Decision. Anyone else?
Anyone received a secondary yet?
Here's the prompt for this year. Too bad I had my essay pre-written based on last year's questions:
The AMCAS application is not designed to capture unique, special, or unusual circumstances. With this in mind, what other information would help the Admissions Committee obtain a more comprehensive picture of your candidacy?
Examples of issues that a candidate might address include, but are by no means limited to, such topics as:
· If there have been breaks in your school attendance since high school, or if you ever carried less than a full-time course load in college, or if you took more than four years to finish college, what did you choose to do with the time and why?
· What endeavors other than medicine have you abandoned or postponed in order to pursue your current path, and how did you make those decisions?
· Why would you be a good fit for Quillen?
These are just examples. You may address any topic that you want the admissions committee to consider. However, please remember that the task is to expand thoughtfully upon the AMCAS application, not to repeat it.
The information provided should, to the greatest extent possible, not duplicate information found elsewhere in the AMCAS application and must be limited to 5000 characters.
The AMCAS application is not designed to capture unique, special, or unusual circumstances. With this in mind, what other information would help the Admissions Committee obtain a more comprehensive picture of your candidacy?
Examples of issues that a candidate might address include, but are by no means limited to, such topics as:
· If there have been breaks in your school attendance since high school, or if you ever carried less than a full-time course load in college, or if you took more than four years to finish college, what did you choose to do with the time and why?
· What endeavors other than medicine have you abandoned or postponed in order to pursue your current path, and how did you make those decisions?
· Why would you be a good fit for Quillen?
These are just examples. You may address any topic that you want the admissions committee to consider. However, please remember that the task is to expand thoughtfully upon the AMCAS application, not to repeat it.
The information provided should, to the greatest extent possible, not duplicate information found elsewhere in the AMCAS application and must be limited to 5000 characters.
Here's the prompt for this year. Too bad I had my essay pre-written based on last year's questions:
The AMCAS application is not designed to capture unique, special, or unusual circumstances. With this in mind, what other information would help the Admissions Committee obtain a more comprehensive picture of your candidacy?
Examples of issues that a candidate might address include, but are by no means limited to, such topics as:
· If there have been breaks in your school attendance since high school, or if you ever carried less than a full-time course load in college, or if you took more than four years to finish college, what did you choose to do with the time and why?
· What endeavors other than medicine have you abandoned or postponed in order to pursue your current path, and how did you make those decisions?
· Why would you be a good fit for Quillen?
These are just examples. You may address any topic that you want the admissions committee to consider. However, please remember that the task is to expand thoughtfully upon the AMCAS application, not to repeat it.
The information provided should, to the greatest extent possible, not duplicate information found elsewhere in the AMCAS application and must be limited to 5000 characters.
Thank you!
still waiting for secondary.
Same here...
Don't worry, guys. It is still ridiculously early in the cycle, especially for ETSU.Same here...
Rejected PreSecondary. Funny thing is I have a recommendation from a Resident at their program. I knew they weren't OOS friendly tho. A little sad, but I knew this might happen.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry! If it's any consolation, I would not have a chance at ANY public school in Florida. Godspeed to you on that front. Who knows HandsomeRob, maybe OOS schools like VCU will give us both a nod?Rejected PreSecondary. Funny thing is I have a recommendation from a Resident at their program. I knew they weren't OOS friendly tho. A little sad, but I knew this might happen.
I'm sorry to hear that. They are very in-state friendly. If you don't mind, could you share your stats?Rejected PreSecondary. Funny thing is I have a recommendation from a Resident at their program. I knew they weren't OOS friendly tho. A little sad, but I knew this might happen.
It's on my md apps, but I called and they said stats not relevant, they rejected me cause I didn't have connection to Appachian area, not stats.I'm sorry to hear that. They are very in-state friendly. If you don't mind, could you share your stats?
But I have a 3.6 and a high 20's
Last edited:
That's a bummer. I'm sorry! I hope this cycle goes better for you with other schools. LMU-DCOM is only a couple hours away and the campus is AMAZING . It is a DO school but if that doesn't matter to you, I know they have no in-state preferences.It's on my md apps, but I called and they said stats not relevant, they rejected me cause I didn't have connection to Appachian area, not stats.
But I have a 3.6 and a high 20's
Anyone else received a secondary? I'm still waiting 🙁
MS-3 here to answer any questions you all have. Please do not hesitate to ask me ANYTHING
Secondary Here!
If you don't mind, how long did it take to receive your secondary after ETSU sent you a receipt of your application?
If you don't mind, how long did it take to receive your secondary after ETSU sent you a receipt of your application?
My stats: IS reapplicant (interviewed in 2012-2013 cycle), 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 33 MCAT (9/12/12), ~4000 hours working in healthcare ~2000 volunteer hours, ~500 shadowing hours, 2nd author of research paper.
Application received by ETSU: 07/01/2014
Supplemental application received by me: 07/17/2014
Supplemental submitted to ETSU: Early AM of 07/18/2014
Those seem like really strong stats. Can I ask why they didn't accept you beforeMy stats: IS reapplicant (interviewed in 2012-2013 cycle), 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 33 MCAT (9/12/12), ~4000 hours working in healthcare ~2000 volunteer hours, ~500 shadowing hours, 2nd author of research paper.
Application received by ETSU: 07/01/2014
Supplemental application received by me: 07/17/2014
Supplemental submitted to ETSU: Early AM of 07/18/2014
Let me put it this way. My 3.6 Used to be a 3.7. My last semester of undergrad, it went to a 3.5. Took a year of straight As in post-bacc work to bring it back to a 3.6. What makes me feel good about ETSU this cycle is that my post-bacc strategy was enacted at the URGING of ETSU, right down to the institution I attended and the classes I took. I don't feel entitled to a seat here, but I know I've made myself into a stronger applicant.Those seem like really strong stats. Can I ask why they didn't accept you before
This is kind of off topic but if someone had some insight, I'd appreciate it. I took physics 1&2 online with lab through RODP. If anyone is familiar with this, do you know if this is technically considered an online course to medical schools? Exams had to be taken on campus and on my transcript it appears as "RODP". It does not say "online" like my online psych course does for example.
Applied! AMCAS is processed and received secondaries from other schools but not from here yet 🙁
Attended ETSU for undergrad. Stats:
GPA: 3.75
BCPM: 3.5
MCAT: 26
About 600 volunteer hours. Approx 1/3 are clinical
150+ shadowing hours. Most with the ETSU medical horizons program
Worked in a lab for 2 years with a professor on the admissions committee and 3rd author on a paper from there.
What do you think my chances are? My MCAT is definitely not where I want it and I'm making preparations to take it again next spring. Can't afford it right now...
Attended ETSU for undergrad. Stats:
GPA: 3.75
BCPM: 3.5
MCAT: 26
About 600 volunteer hours. Approx 1/3 are clinical
150+ shadowing hours. Most with the ETSU medical horizons program
Worked in a lab for 2 years with a professor on the admissions committee and 3rd author on a paper from there.
What do you think my chances are? My MCAT is definitely not where I want it and I'm making preparations to take it again next spring. Can't afford it right now...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your MCAT is low, but people with those numbers have been accepted in the past.Applied! AMCAS is processed and received secondaries from other schools but not from here yet 🙁
Attended ETSU for undergrad. Stats:
GPA: 3.75
BCPM: 3.5
MCAT: 26
About 600 volunteer hours. Approx 1/3 are clinical
150+ shadowing hours. Most with the ETSU medical horizons program
Worked in a lab for 2 years with a professor on the admissions committee and 3rd author on a paper from there.
What do you think my chances are? My MCAT is definitely not where I want it and I'm making preparations to take it again next spring. Can't afford it right now...
Just got this e-mail from the Admissions Office:
"We are pleased to inform you of the receipt of all supplementary information as requested including the payment of the $50.00 supplementary application fee. This material is being reviewed and you may expect to hear from us soon."
I hope this is a sign of good things to come. It would be so nice to be among the first non-EDP IIs.
"We are pleased to inform you of the receipt of all supplementary information as requested including the payment of the $50.00 supplementary application fee. This material is being reviewed and you may expect to hear from us soon."
I hope this is a sign of good things to come. It would be so nice to be among the first non-EDP IIs.
Hey I got that as well this morning! Good luck to us brother.
Those numbers are fine. MCAT and BCPM GPA are both a little low but not a deal breaker if you have a solid AMCAS and secondary essays. If you make it to the interview it will not be the numbers that hold you back. Best of luck!Applied! AMCAS is processed and received secondaries from other schools but not from here yet 🙁
Attended ETSU for undergrad. Stats:
GPA: 3.75
BCPM: 3.5
MCAT: 26
About 600 volunteer hours. Approx 1/3 are clinical
150+ shadowing hours. Most with the ETSU medical horizons program
Worked in a lab for 2 years with a professor on the admissions committee and 3rd author on a paper from there.
What do you think my chances are? My MCAT is definitely not where I want it and I'm making preparations to take it again next spring. Can't afford it right now...
Those numbers are fine. MCAT and BCPM GPA are both a little low but not a deal breaker if you have a solid AMCAS and secondary essays. If you make it to the interview it will not be the numbers that hold you back. Best of luck!
Your MCAT is low, but people with those numbers have been accepted in the past.
Okay! Thank you guys!! Still no secondary 🙁 hoping for the best though!
Finally received the secondary this morning!
Should we receive a confirmation email after submitting our secondary?
+1Should we receive a confirmation email after submitting our secondary?
Should we receive a confirmation email after submitting our secondary?
My confirmation didn't arrive until yesterday. I submitted my secondary on 07/18.
Received my secondary this morning! Thank goodness! Now the pressure is on. Haha
My confirmation didn't arrive until yesterday. I submitted my secondary on 07/18.
Awesome, thanks! I was worried when I didn't receive an email saying my $50 was received haha.
Hey guys, just checking. I applied there and my app was verified on July 15th. I know I got an email from them saying they had received my AMCAS app, but I can't seem to find that email and I'm worried I may have accidentally deleted it. That wasn't the secondary app email right?
Hey guys, just checking. I applied there and my app was verified on July 15th. I know I got an email from them saying they had received my AMCAS app, but I can't seem to find that email and I'm worried I may have accidentally deleted it. That wasn't the secondary app email right?
Nah, you didn't do anything wrong.
okay great! moment of panic haha.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it just one essay for secondary here?
Just one, but you have 5000 characters to work with.
When did you submit your primary Hidahl
I was complete June 10. I've even checked my junk mail. I have pretty solid stats, and am in state, so I don't know what the hold up is.When did you submit your primary Hidahl
