-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 East Tennessee State University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Does anybody know how Quillen treats Letters of Interest? I've been in and out of Johnson City for over 25 years (immediate family in the area) and I feel like the area is my second hometown. Having said that, I live in Texas now and never got a secondary back from them (hard to get their attention as OOS, I know). I was considering mailing off a LoI to mention how great it would be to attend Quillen and that I'm not as OOS as I seem, but I'd hate for them to think I'm trying too hard... Thoughts?
It may be worth a shot. They're not only interested in IS applicants, as I'm pretty sure they also consider applicants from other states that are in the vicinity of Johnson City. This tells me they're interested in people who have ties to the area, which you seem to have. I think you might as well try.Does anybody know how Quillen treats Letters of Interest? I've been in and out of Johnson City for over 25 years (immediate family in the area) and I feel like the area is my second hometown. Having said that, I live in Texas now and never got a secondary back from them (hard to get their attention as OOS, I know). I was considering mailing off a LoI to mention how great it would be to attend Quillen and that I'm not as OOS as I seem, but I'd hate for them to think I'm trying too hard... Thoughts?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know how Quillen treats Letters of Interest? I've been in and out of Johnson City for over 25 years (immediate family in the area) and I feel like the area is my second hometown. Having said that, I live in Texas now and never got a secondary back from them (hard to get their attention as OOS, I know). I was considering mailing off a LoI to mention how great it would be to attend Quillen and that I'm not as OOS as I seem, but I'd hate for them to think I'm trying too hard... Thoughts?
I'm a student at Quillen, I don't think they'd mind at all. Worst case scenario it doesn't help, best case scenario you get an invite.
Hi @Rocher , I was wondering if you had any advice for someone interviewing at Quillen or about the school in general. Was there a reason you chose it?
Also, I'm curious about who will be interviewing. My other interviews have provided the name of the interviewer in advance, but Quillen is making it more suspenseful haha.
Thanks in advance.
Also, I'm curious about who will be interviewing. My other interviews have provided the name of the interviewer in advance, but Quillen is making it more suspenseful haha.
Thanks in advance.
Hi @Rocher , I was wondering if you had any advice for someone interviewing at Quillen or about the school in general. Was there a reason you chose it?
Also, I'm curious about who will be interviewing. My other interviews have provided the name of the interviewer in advance, but Quillen is making it more suspenseful haha.
Thanks in advance.
Sure, the advice is cliche but true, just be yourself, and don't tell them you want to do rural primary care unless you really do. I've heard of applicants saying that when they just want to gain favor with the school. This place is very laid back, and the interviews should be relaxed. They were definitely the most comfortable of any of mine, and were more conversational vs them asking me pointed questions. As far as who is interviewing, it's tough to say because there are so many who interview. You'll find out the day of your interview.
I came here because I wanted to stay in-state for tuition purposes and preferred Johnson City to Memphis. UT-Memphis is a wonderful school, but I absolutely love the mountains and all of the outdoor activities around here, plus there is very low crime, and traffic is almost non-existent compared to bigger cities. I seriously love it here and would choose it again in a heartbeat.
That being said, there are drawbacks. We don't have a derm or ophtho residency, so it may be tougher making connections and finding research if you're wanting to do those fields. We also don't have EM/rads/anesthesia residencies here, but Quillen students typically don't have trouble matching these fields because of away-rotations in the 4th year. We have people match ophtho and derm as well, but it is very difficult and not just because of the lack of contacts and research opportunities; they are just super-competitive in general.
You'll get great training here and will be set up well for residency, but that is true for all allopathic medical schools.
If you have any questions about anything else, just let me know. I'm a 4th year so should be able to answer most of them.
hey i got that email as well but that was in late september. havent heard back since then. it was an active hold email right?
Sorry to hear that 🙁 how did you find out?Just got put on hold. Ugh
Me too! I was really hoping to just relax and have an acceptance :/ But we will see : )Just got put on hold. Ugh
Sorry to hear that 🙁 how did you find out?
you guys got an active hold email right?
Yeah. I mean, the school only has 76 students. Every interview cycle must have a few holds.
Sorry to hear that. Better than a rejection though. How long ago did you interview?Just got put on hold. Ugh
Never give up, never surrender the dream.
09/29Sorry to hear that. Better than a rejection though. How long ago did you interview?
Never give up, never surrender the dream.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice. I sent in a letter trying to help explain my status a bit better. I did notice something on their website that mentioned that the admissions committee 'does not review or revisit decisions they have made', so I hope they haven't already thrown my file in the 'deny' pile.I'm a student at Quillen, I don't think they'd mind at all. Worst case scenario it doesn't help, best case scenario you get an invite.
Accepted!!! Good luck to everyone and do not give up!
I didn't get an interview until February, so it's hard to say. I wouldn't give up hope quite yet.Thanks for the advice. I sent in a letter trying to help explain my status a bit better. I did notice something on their website that mentioned that the admissions committee 'does not review or revisit decisions they have made', so I hope they haven't already thrown my file in the 'deny' pile.
Accepted this morning!! Good luck everyone!
Thanks, I'll try to hold out hope.I didn't get an interview until February, so it's hard to say. I wouldn't give up hope quite yet.
Out of curiosity, were you an IS or OOS applicant?
ISThanks, I'll try to hold out hope.
Out of curiosity, were you an IS or OOS applicant?
Just got a letter for Quillen:
"Due to the limited number of seats available for the class of 2015, we are unable to consider your application any further. Thank you for your interest in Quillen."
I guess I didn't do enough to convince them I was worth it. Oh well, better luck next cycle, I suppose.
Good luck to everyone still in the running!
"Due to the limited number of seats available for the class of 2015, we are unable to consider your application any further. Thank you for your interest in Quillen."
I guess I didn't do enough to convince them I was worth it. Oh well, better luck next cycle, I suppose.
Good luck to everyone still in the running!
anyone going on that interview the week of thanksgiving?
The committee meets Monday. I'm really hoping for a phone call on Tuesday....
Which interview dates are they discussing? Also, I know we get a phone call for an acceptance, but what about a waitlist/rejection? Just an email?The committee meets Monday. I'm really hoping for a phone call on Tuesday....
I was accepted through email...no phone call. Just letting ya know in case you don't receive a call.
+1I was accepted through email...no phone call. Just letting ya know in case you don't receive a call.
When's the next time the committee meets? And are a lot of applicants accepted from Hold status?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did anyone call to see if they actually met today?
I know they're discussing the date I interviewed (Oct 30th), but I'm not sure if there were any other interviews between the October and November committee meetings. I believe they revisit the hold list during every meeting? I'm not positive though. But I know Ms. Cole mentioned that they revisit it often.
i interviewed on 10/27, and they are supposed to discuss mine today. i wonder when they send out emails? early AM or mid afternoon
My friend got his email from the October meeting right before lunchtime
good to know, so i'll stop checking my email and get back to studyingMy friend got his email from the October meeting right before lunchtime
Oh I'm still checking my email every 5 mins haha 

Wait, so I interviewed late October. Does that mean we find out today whether we were accepted or wait listed or rejected?
Hopefully today or sometime this week
Dang it, it's so much easier to wait for something when you don't know when it's coming. Now I'm not going to be able to focus...
Sorry 🙁
yeah haha i'll stop checking every second too
My friend got his email from the October meeting right before lunchtime
well, it's 12:30PM in Memphis, no call, no email
I still haven't gotten anything either 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that's why i am wondering if they actually met yesterday
Dang it, got put on hold.
active hold
email, send out 12:59PMDid you guys find out through e-mail or phone call?