2014-2015 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question - anyone have thoughts on sending an update about my plans if I don't get in to Jeff? I don't have any other acceptances, but I've got a position lined up where I'd be doing clinical research and patient screening at an HIV and Hep C clinic. Would it be good to let them know I have a plan, or will that make them think I don't want a spot at Jeff? Any insight, especially from current students would be appreciated!
 
I truly think that for med schools in general (granted I'm only looking at a few boards still) the number of waitlist spots are going to start decreasing from now on. There are just too many qualified applicants. Sure you'll have those people with LizzyM's of 78 who get into every program, but for the growing majority of us with mid percentile stats, most are just taking their first acceptance and holding on to it. The only mitigating factor, as we're seeing now, is the financial aid.
More importantly, I think committees are meeting less frequently and it takes time for people to accept or decline offers.
 
too bad @ridethecliche, I would have loved to meet you as a fellow jefferson student. Ah well
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
too bad @ridethecliche, I would have loved to meet you as a fellow jefferson student. Ah well

Hold fast hope that Jeff will match or come close. I can live with spending 10-15k a year to be closer to family, but 30k a year in an area with a lower cost of living is a huge difference...
 
Hey guys so I just spoke with my advisor on the phone and thought I'd pass the news along. He seemed to thing that the wait lists at schools will pick up around the 15th as in past years. This might explain why there has not been much movement.
Fantastic news! You are a saint for posting this.
 
I think that my midday bike rides on week days that I have off are becoming a habit. Who knew that when you applied to Jeff you got a free work out subscription.
 
Hey guys so I just spoke with my advisor on the phone and thought I'd pass the news along. He seemed to thing that the wait lists at schools will pick up around the 15th as in past years. This might explain why there has not been much movement.
Out of curiosity, what is he basing is opinion on?
 
My advisor seemed to be under the impression that the multiple acceptance deadline was 5/15 as it has been previous years. I was almost positive it had changed this year to 4/30 and movement would start on 5/1 but they told me a lot of "wacky" information has been going around this year. I took this with a grain of salt but I am hoping its true because that would explain things.
 
My advisor seemed to be under the impression that the multiple acceptance deadline was 5/15 as it has been previous years. I was almost positive it had changed this year to 4/30 and movement would start on 5/1 but they told me a lot of "wacky" information has been going around this year. I took this with a grain of salt but I am hoping its true because that would explain things.
Nope. It was 4/30.
 
Nope. It was 4/30.
Okay that is what I thought, but they seemed pretty convinced. I am still going to hold out a bit of hope that next week will have more movement! Maybe schools are so used to the old deadlines that they have been dragging their feet? Maybe I'm grasping at straws
 
Okay that is what I thought, but they seemed pretty convinced. I am still going to hold out a bit of hope that next week will have more movement! Maybe schools are so used to the old deadlines that they have been dragging their feet? Maybe I'm grasping at straws
They were convinced the deadline was 5/15 or convinced there would be more movement on 5/15?
 
They were convinced the deadline was 5/15 or convinced there would be more movement on 5/15?
Both

Edit: Sometimes advisors don't know what they are talking about even though you'd think they would since it's their job. Just passing along what they told me.
 
Last edited:
Perhaps someone could email Dr. Callahan or Dr. Brooks about the waitlist movement and if how many spots there are left? It doesn't hurt to ask.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Perhaps someone could email Dr. Callahan or Dr. Brooks about the waitlist movement and if how many spots there are left? It doesn't hurt to ask.
I did that awhile ago. They aren't able to give any hard data. They mentioned things have been slower in recent years and that makes it harder to estimate. They will except people until the very end if spots become available.
 
Both

Edit: Sometimes advisors don't know what they are talking about even though you'd think they would since it's their job. Just passing along what they told me.
That's what I was worried about and the reason I asked. I think they made their statement due to that incorrect assumptiom.
 
I did that awhile ago. They aren't able to give any hard data. They mentioned things have been slower in recent years and that makes it harder to estimate. They will except people until the very end if spots become available.

ah okay. thanks. I remember during interview day, Dr. Callahan said that roughly 1/3 of the class will come from the HPWL. I think we may see slower movement, but I think the number of spots ultimately offered to those on the waitlist will be roughly the same compared to last year. People aren't going to know as soon as they would like i think. Idk. Again, this is my guess (and an optimistic one at that haha).
 
On April 30th I recieved an email from the one non-Jefferson school which I still had not withdrawn from and they informed me I had until May 12th to withdraw from either them or from Jeff. So that supports the thought that wait lists will start moving around mid-May. I think after April 30th schools can see where else you are holding an acceptance, and after April 30th they will not refund your deposit if you withdraw.
 
On April 30th I recieved an email from the one non-Jefferson school which I still had not withdrawn from and they informed me I had until May 12th to withdraw from either them or from Jeff. So that supports the thought that wait lists will start moving around mid-May. I think after April 30th schools can see where else you are holding an acceptance, and after April 30th they will not refund your deposit if you withdraw.
April 30th is trafficking day. https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...0672/trafficrulesforapplicants-2015amcas.html

Whether or not that supports the May 15th movement theory, I'm not sure. But if you're holding multiple acceptances right now, you shouldn't.
 
I am not holding multiple acceptances right now. Just put that info out there for others to have.
 
Are Wednesdays significant anymore or is it just another potential day we can receive a call?
The committee meets less frequently now, I think that's all we know. Whether they still meet on Wednesdays is anyone's guess. Going from memory, I think the last wait list movement a few weeks ago had calls going out on Wednesday and Thursday. But that Thursday was April 30.
 
Not to oversimplify, but all you need to do is rack up some great grades, do well on your MCAT, and you are on your way. Your "life story" is extremely moving, to me at least, and I think your essays could do a number on an admissions committee. If you want to be a doctor, go follow your dreams, buddy!!!
Doesn't matter. Whatever you're more comfortable using is fine.
 
The committee meets less frequently now, I think that's all we know. Whether they still meet on Wednesdays is anyone's guess. Going from memory, I think the last wait list movement a few weeks ago had calls going out on Wednesday and Thursday. But that Thursday was April 30.
I think it will ultimately come down to if/when there are spots to discuss... If they are at capacity there is no reason to meet. But here's hoping today is one of those days.
 
Doesn't matter. Whatever you're more comfortable using is fine.

All I have right now is a chromebook, which is basically just a web-browser....any thoughts on whether that would work? Are there particular software programs you need an actual laptop for? I was under the impression most schoolwork could be done on the iPad they give you...? thanks...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it will ultimately come down to if/when there are spots to discuss... If they are at capacity there is no reason to meet. But here's hoping today is one of those days.
It should be soon. When they give out acceptance offers, applicants have a certain amount of time to accept or decline. Is it two weeks? If so, there should be spots opening up very soon.
 
It should be soon. When they give out acceptance offers, applicants have a certain amount of time to accept or decline. Is it two weeks? If so, there should be spots opening up very soon.
It's normally two weeks. However they have to give reasonable time to receive financial aid. Jeff seems quick with that so hopefully you're right.
 
Accepted off of HPWL!

Long time lurker on the Jefferson thread. Was placed on HPWL after interviewing 4/8. Jefferson is undoubtedly the place for me; academically, personality-wise and geographically. Dr. Brooks made an absolute immediate impression on me and has been a genuine inspiration through this process, she fully embodies the welcoming nature of SKMC. The sense of community and inclusion along with the potent aura of positive energy on campus had me sold from the moment I stepped foot here. I'm still attempting to overcome the exhilaration, but am ecstatic to say I received the acceptance phone call from Dr. Callahan today! Dr. Brooks and Dr. Callahan have both been beyond supportive and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to work with them more closely in the future. Can't wait to delve into this journey and truly hope all you fellow HPWLers receive equally wonderful news. Looks like wait list movement is ramping up. Good luck!
 
Accepted off of HPWL!

Long time lurker on the Jefferson thread. Was placed on HPWL after interviewing 4/8. Jefferson is undoubtedly the place for me; academically, personality-wise and geographically. Dr. Brooks made an absolute immediate impression on me and has been a genuine inspiration through this process, she fully embodies the welcoming nature of SKMC. The sense of community and inclusion along with the potent aura of positive energy on campus had me sold from the moment I stepped foot here. I'm still attempting to overcome the exhilaration, but am ecstatic to say I received the acceptance phone call from Dr. Callahan today! Dr. Brooks and Dr. Callahan have both been beyond supportive and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to work with them more closely in the future. Can't wait to delve into this journey and truly hope all you fellow HPWLers receive equally wonderful news. Looks like wait list movement is ramping up. Good luck!

Congrats! When did you get the call?
 
Accepted off of HPWL!

Long time lurker on the Jefferson thread. Was placed on HPWL after interviewing 4/8. Jefferson is undoubtedly the place for me; academically, personality-wise and geographically. Dr. Brooks made an absolute immediate impression on me and has been a genuine inspiration through this process, she fully embodies the welcoming nature of SKMC. The sense of community and inclusion along with the potent aura of positive energy on campus had me sold from the moment I stepped foot here. I'm still attempting to overcome the exhilaration, but am ecstatic to say I received the acceptance phone call from Dr. Callahan today! Dr. Brooks and Dr. Callahan have both been beyond supportive and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to work with them more closely in the future. Can't wait to delve into this journey and truly hope all you fellow HPWLers receive equally wonderful news. Looks like wait list movement is ramping up. Good luck!
Also did you send any updates and, if so, how frequently?
 
Had to withdraw today. Just couldn't justify the difference in cost between Jeff and the school that pulled me off the waitlist.

Seriously crushed about it. I freaking loved Jeff. Y'all are going to have a great four years. Let me come visit and play aight?
Bummer man. Godspeed in Boston. Tell Dr. C that I would be a perfect replacement for your spot 😉
 
I wonder what kind they are

I'm thinking/hoping they'll be Littmanns. There was already a deal through the bookstore to get a Littmann Cardiology III with extra ear buds, a name tag and a heart and lung sounds CD for a reduced price so I'm thinking that the stethoscopes donated from the alumni association will be the same kind. Can't say for sure, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hopeful for today but nothing. Tomorrow I have off for the first time in a week so maybe just maybe the stars will align