2014-2015 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2:30am rejection email last night. Good luck to everyone else!

Got mine at 2:31 a.m. Not exactly the first thing I wanted to see when I woke up. Both MCAT and GPA were well above Mayo's medians, but didn't have high expectations for Mayo anyway.

Good luck to everyone else.
 
Got mine at 2:31 a.m. Not exactly the first thing I wanted to see when I woke up. Both MCAT and GPA were well above Mayo's medians, but didn't have high expectations for Mayo anyway.

Good luck to everyone else.

Sorry to hear that! I'm sure you're going to have a fabulous cycle with other acceptances 😀
 
We appreciate your serious interest in Mayo Medical School as well as the time and effort you have devoted to preparing your application.
At least the Mayo application didn't require EXTRA time to write the secondaries like SOME schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope? Nothing here. Their website does say they expected to give out II from July until something. I'm sure they're just backed up right now, but I imagine they'll try to send them out soon!

Sure, July. I saw that too, but watch we get nothing for the next month. Meh.
 
Nope? Nothing here. Their website does say they expected to give out II from July until something. I'm sure they're just backed up right now, but I imagine they'll try to send them out soon!
There's always the remote chance that they did send out a small number of II's in July and no one on SDN received one.
 
There's always the remote chance that they did send out a small number of II's in July and no one on SDN received one.

True. This was also brought up a few times on last years threads. I think the general consensus was that the number of IIs given per II batch was assumed to be large enough to cover about 2-3 SNDers each time. Also the rejections for some of those not granted IIs from the "batch" of people complete on the same date or granted LOR requests on the same date (others appeared to be on unofficial hold) came out about 6 days later. Unless they changed things up, it's somewhat unlikely that they sent out IIs and the subsequent rejections (or even just II) without anyone on SDN being a part of either list. But this is all 100% speculation, it's totally possible they've sent some out. Hopefully they'll send some (more?) soon!
 
man they haven't even finished downloading my letters yet and y'all are talking about II's already
 
True. This was also brought up a few times on last years threads. I think the general consensus was that the number of IIs given per II batch was assumed to be large enough to cover about 2-3 SNDers each time. Also the rejections for some of those not granted IIs from the "batch" of people complete on the same date or granted LOR requests on the same date (others appeared to be on unofficial hold) came out about 6 days later. Unless they changed things up, it's somewhat unlikely that they sent out IIs and the subsequent rejections (or even just II) without anyone on SDN being a part of either list. But this is all 100% speculation, it's totally possible they've sent some out. Hopefully they'll send some (more?) soon!

Love it. :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Every night before I go to sleep, I think about how happy I'd be to wake up to a Mayo II hahahaha. I know it's such a longshot, and I'm okay with that, but I like being able to dream that it's possible! I hope IIs start going out this week so that at least a few people on this thread can attain their blissful wishes for Mayo love (and so that I can live vicariously through them 😉 )
 
They received my fee waiver 7/7, haven't heard anything since. Not even a LOR request. LizzyM >72 solid EC. Should I give up on Mayo?

You are still in the running until they tell you otherwise.

Given that none of us really knows how the Wizard of Mayo (--> :artist:) makes his decisions, I would keep a sense of cautious optimism (something I've tried to do thus far, not always with great success :eggface:). Check out page 8 of this thread - people who received their fee request/confirmation around the same time as you have received LOR requests as of late last week, but some have also been rejected. Just keep in mind that this process can be fickle, that schools decide based on factors we don't fully understand, and that you will likely get in somewhere, and that place will be a great fit! 🙂
 
Anyone know how long it takes the get the complete email after LOR request(assuming LORs were assigned to mayo the day I submitted my AMCAS)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So even if they ask for your money and you assign letters on the AMCAS website, making them instantly available to schools you've assigned, Mayo still makes the request for LORs?
 
how long is the turnaround between LORs being received by AMCAS and the LORs being received (and status being complete) by schools? roughly speaking?
 
OK.. so if you get a LOR request, do you have to do anything or is it more notification only?
 
how long is the turnaround between LORs being received by AMCAS and the LORs being received (and status being complete) by schools? roughly speaking?
Transmitted continuously / approx. real time from AMCAS to schools but schools pull the info off the AMCAS data service and/or log it in their systems at their discretion, so it varies between schools.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK.. so if you get a LOR request, do you have to do anything or is it more notification only?

you do nothing if you've already designated the letters to mayo. if you havent, then you go do that on amcas
 
Most of you guys were complete early July I assume? I didn't submit my fee until late July so I assume I'll be a month behind if I'm fortunate enough to not get rejected pre-LOR request.