2014-2015 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is tonight the night?????????????????

Edit: It has to be.
Didn't you see that you are supposed TO USE ALL CAPS FOR IT TO COME TRUE. 😉 This thread is definitely the most angsty of all the ones I'm following haha (as every Mayo thread seems to be; I wonder why?)

Edit: Also, we are on page 12 with no word on II. Wow!!
 
Last edited:
Didn't you see that you are supposed TO USE ALL CAPS FOR IT TO COME TRUE. 😉 This thread is definitely the most angsty of all the ones I'm following haha (as every Mayo thread seems to be; I wonder why?)

I WOULD SAY #1 BECAUSE IT IS MAYO OBVIO... AND #2 BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF CONTROL AS THERE IS NO ONLINE PORTAL TO FRANTICALLY CHECK FOR ANY STATUS UPDATE OR TEASE SO WE HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO JUST GO ABSOLUTELY INSANE

EDIT: ALSO #3 BASICALLY ALL OF US KNOW THAT MAYO IS A LONGSHOT YET WE FEEL SOME STRANGE SURGE OF HOPE THAT JUST MAYBE THEY WILL LIKE US
 
I love how Mayo is the polar opposite of VCU. On the VCU thread, they are all freaking out because VCU gives you way more info on your status than you really need. On the Mayo thread, we are freaking out because we are all totally in the dark. Thank god most schools provide a happy medium.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an email from Mayo saying they received my LORs. Every email is another fruitless panic attack at this point. If I get an II (fingers crossed, how awesome!), I'd probably die from the shock of reading that email.
 
I wonder how long it takes the adcom to read one complete file? Do you guys think it takes one hour to read one file? Maybe I'm just dreaming...But if they really do read P.S., activity, LOR carefully, it will take a while. Maybe they review 20 cases per day? How long do you think it takes them to read the initial 1000 and make decisions? I feel like 30 days are not enough...All I'm trying to say is that we should calm down and wait for them to review our files carefully...
:clap::clap::clap::clap::banana::banana::banana::banana:
 
I WOULD SAY #1 BECAUSE IT IS MAYO OBVIO... AND #2 BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF CONTROL AS THERE IS NO ONLINE PORTAL TO FRANTICALLY CHECK FOR ANY STATUS UPDATE OR TEASE SO WE HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO JUST GO ABSOLUTELY INSANE

EDIT: ALSO #3 BASICALLY ALL OF US KNOW THAT MAYO IS A LONGSHOT YET WE FEEL SOME STRANGE SURGE OF HOPE THAT JUST MAYBE THEY WILL LIKE US

I created my own Mayo online portal. I programmed it to post reassuring updates like this:

"Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,

We have received all of your letters of reference, and by the way, they look great so far! I mean, really stellar. You will be notified via email as soon as the final review is completed, but honestly, I can't imagine that we won't be sending you an interview invite. On second thought, forget email, we will call you personally!

Sincerely,
Gina M. Vitali-Räsänen
Admissions Coordinator
Mayo Medical School"

They've even started to get a little personal, like this:

"Dear Brian,
Just want to reach out and touch base. How are things going for you this summer? The admissions process can be stressful. Are you making sure to set aside enough time to take care of yourself, eating right and exercising? While we are still in the process of reviewing applications, I want to let you know that you are more than justified in feeling that strange surge of hope that just maybe we will like you. We're anticipating a large volume of highly qualified applicants this year (because it's Mayo, obvio!), but as soon as we read through the initial 10,000 or so applications we will be able to release our decisions. I will personally see to it that the first email goes out to you!

Be Well,
Gina M. Vitali-Räsänen
Admissions Coordinator
Mayo Medical School"

It helps.🙄
 
I created my own Mayo online portal. I programmed it to post reassuring updates like this:

"Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,

We have received all of your letters of reference, and by the way, they look great so far! I mean, really stellar. You will be notified via email as soon as the final review is completed, but honestly, I can't imagine that we won't be sending you an interview invite. On second thought, forget email, we will call you personally!

Sincerely,
Gina M. Vitali-Räsänen
Admissions Coordinator
Mayo Medical School"

They've even started to get a little personal, like this:

"Dear Brian,
Just want to reach out and touch base. How are things going for you this summer? The admissions process can be stressful. Are you making sure to set aside enough time to take care of yourself, eating right and exercising? While we are still in the process of reviewing applications, I want to let you know that you are more than justified in feeling that strange surge of hope that just maybe we will like you. We're anticipating a large volume of highly qualified applicants this year (because it's Mayo, obvio!), but as soon as we read through the initial 10,000 or so applications we will be able to release our decisions. I will personally see to it that the first email goes out to you!

Be Well,
Gina M. Vitali-Räsänen
Admissions Coordinator
Mayo Medical School"

It helps.🙄

We've left neuroticism way behind and are now in the realm of the insane.
 
Last edited:
I created my own Mayo online portal. I programmed it to post reassuring updates like this:

"Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,

We have received all of your letters of reference, and by the way, they look great so far! I mean, really stellar. You will be notified via email as soon as the final review is completed, but honestly, I can't imagine that we won't be sending you an interview invite. On second thought, forget email, we will call you personally!

Sincerely,
Gina M. Vitali-Räsänen
Admissions Coordinator
Mayo Medical School"

They've even started to get a little personal, like this:

"Dear Brian,
Just want to reach out and touch base. How are things going for you this summer? The admissions process can be stressful. Are you making sure to set aside enough time to take care of yourself, eating right and exercising? While we are still in the process of reviewing applications, I want to let you know that you are more than justified in feeling that strange surge of hope that just maybe we will like you. We're anticipating a large volume of highly qualified applicants this year (because it's Mayo, obvio!), but as soon as we read through the initial 10,000 or so applications we will be able to release our decisions. I will personally see to it that the first email goes out to you!

Be Well,
Gina M. Vitali-Räsänen
Admissions Coordinator
Mayo Medical School"

It helps.🙄
Your mistake is saying they get 10,000 applicants 😉
 
I created my own Mayo online portal. I programmed it to post reassuring updates like this:

"Dear Mayo Medical School Applicant,

We have received all of your letters of reference, and by the way, they look great so far! I mean, really stellar. You will be notified via email as soon as the final review is completed, but honestly, I can't imagine that we won't be sending you an interview invite. On second thought, forget email, we will call you personally!

Sincerely,
Gina M. Vitali-Räsänen
Admissions Coordinator
Mayo Medical School"

They've even started to get a little personal, like this:

"Dear Brian,
Just want to reach out and touch base. How are things going for you this summer? The admissions process can be stressful. Are you making sure to set aside enough time to take care of yourself, eating right and exercising? While we are still in the process of reviewing applications, I want to let you know that you are more than justified in feeling that strange surge of hope that just maybe we will like you. We're anticipating a large volume of highly qualified applicants this year (because it's Mayo, obvio!), but as soon as we read through the initial 10,000 or so applications we will be able to release our decisions. I will personally see to it that the first email goes out to you!

Be Well,
Gina M. Vitali-Räsänen
Admissions Coordinator
Mayo Medical School"

It helps.🙄

I want to like this 5 times at least. Priceless. And nothing more than what I already read in to those emails 🙂.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What? It's Sunday already and no freakout posts since Friday?

Lemme fix that for y'all (pardon my Southern slip - I so do IRL too!): :bigtears::dead::hungover::boom:
 
First II at another school can calm the storm for a bit 😛

Me too. Although I figured I can't let the paranoia die.

It's too much FUN.

P.S
Just stalked you a little bit: congrats on the UCSD. That's just sexy.

P.S2
We have rather similar ECs. Mah oh mai 😀
 
Last edited:
Me too. Although I figured I can't let the paranoia die.

It's too much FUN.

P.S
Just stalked you a little bit: congrats on the UCSF. That's just sexy.

P.S2
We have rather similar ECs. Mah oh mai 😀

stalking you too XD congrats on Hofstra too!!

we do have super similar ECs heheh

EDIT: and applying to many of the same schools! here's to meeting you at an interview...preferably somewhere really really cold... like Rochester.... 😀
 
stalking you too XD congrats on Hofstra too!!

we do have super similar ECs heheh

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked.

When do you suppose we'll see Mayo movement? I'm going to guess... next week. But we all know how it's been going - it's like adcoms are furiously refreshing SDN to see our predictions and spite us.

As we're all getting IIs from other schools Mayo loses its death grip. Time to release those IIs 😉
 
Thanks! I'm pretty stoked.

When do you suppose we'll see Mayo movement? I'm going to guess... next week. But we all know how it's been going - it's like adcoms are furiously refreshing SDN to see our predictions and spite us.

As we're all getting IIs from other schools Mayo loses its death grip. Time to release those IIs 😉

I'm gonna guess early next next week! Mayo sure likes testing our patience
 
Writing all these secondaries for the other schools is kind of helping me cope with Mayo's silence. I don't know what I will do come next week and I have no more secondaries to write!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm convinced this kid is not an applicant. Not to sound too much like a creeper but his threads are all "girls in med school" based. I'd opt for a ban on this cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just joined SDN. I am hoping to get into Mayo as well. Got the LOR invite and got the following email 7/9.

We are pleased to notify you that your application has been selected for final review and interview consideration by the Mayo Medical School Admissions Executive Committee.
The final review process can take 4-6 weeks. Once a final decision has been made, you will be immediately notified by email. Please do not contact our Office of Admissions for status updates as this will delay the review process for all applicants.
​

Four weeks would be around now... six weeks is still a ways off...

I am thinking that they don't decide on everyone they are interviewing this early since quite a few people have yet to apply.

It has been fun reading this thread.