You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Meharry Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thanks bruinforhuman! I applied today under the Early Decision Program (EDP). Did anyone else apply EDP???GOOD LUCK 🙂

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+4 





Submitted. Leghho!
Dang lol alright, good luck!
So I just received a secondary invite and I don't know if I want to complete it. I know Meharry blatantly favors African Americans and I am white, I have also heard gripes from students of the 80k a year tuition. could anybody give me advice on these two concerns? Thanks!
So I just received a secondary invite and I don't know if I want to complete it. I know Meharry blatantly favors African Americans and I am white, I have also heard gripes from students of the 80k a year tuition. could anybody give me advice on these two concerns? Thanks!
I think it depends on how many other schools you've completed secondaries for. The secondary fee isn't that bad compared to most so it's not like you're wasting a lot. Just because you're white doesn't mean they won't look at your app and consider it. Obvioulsy you didn't get screened out, so you can always call them and ask about how realistic your chances are.
You're gonna end up in debt with any school (unless if you're one of the lucky wealthy ppl lol) so it's up to you how much you're willing to be in debt for this career. I would give it a shot honestly because one more school applied to do is one more chance to get an acceptance, but that's just me.
Received and submitted! 

I appreciate your input. do you know how heavily Meharry screens? And maybe calling would be a good idea, I could ask what their demographics were for last years entering class. Debt is tough to avoid, but I have a pending interview at USUHS where I would be tuition free and receive commission (pay) by the U.S. government, and I am re-interviewing because last year the waitlist was long and I applied late. Really do appreciate the input thoI think it depends on how many other schools you've completed secondaries for. The secondary fee isn't that bad compared to most so it's not like you're wasting a lot. Just because you're white doesn't mean they won't look at your app and consider it. Obvioulsy you didn't get screened out, so you can always call them and ask about how realistic your chances are.
You're gonna end up in debt with any school (unless if you're one of the lucky wealthy ppl lol) so it's up to you how much you're willing to be in debt for this career. I would give it a shot honestly because one more school applied to do is one more chance to get an acceptance, but that's just me.
Could you please share the prompt? thanks 🙂+2. Secondary received and submitted.
It's just Why Meharry? BasicallyCould you please share the prompt? thanks 🙂
I appreciate your input. do you know how heavily Meharry screens? And maybe calling would be a good idea, I could ask what their demographics were for last years entering class. Debt is tough to avoid, but I have a pending interview at USUHS where I would be tuition free and receive commission (pay) by the U.S. government, and I am re-interviewing because last year the waitlist was long and I applied late. Really do appreciate the input tho
I'm not sure how they screen. I looked on MSAR, they had 9 white matriculants out of 105 total but this just may be because not many ORM are applying to this school, not necessarily a bias against ORM. It wouldn't hurt to call them to get the real picture, I think that would be best.
As I said, if you feel you have better chances elsewhere don't turn it in. But just as a backup, in case you don't get your first choice, I don't think it would hurt. Better to have multiple options than none lol
Is there a word limit for the Why Meharry essay? I'm guessing not, but I don't want to write too much or too little.
Is there a word limit for the Why Meharry essay? I'm guessing not, but I don't want to write too much or too little.
It doesn't say anything about a limit. I would write enough to get your point across, but not so much that they may get tired of reading your essay lol when I have no limit I try to stick to 1500-2000 characters or around half a page because otherwise I tend to ramble, but that's just me lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good point haha! I feel like we are applying to the same schools lmfao!It doesn't say anything about a limit. I would write enough to get your point across, but not so much that they may get tired of reading your essay lol when I have no limit I try to stick to 1500-2000 characters or around half a page because otherwise I tend to ramble, but that's just me lol
yupJust one secondary essay here?
Yea I was just about to say I think I've seen you on the same threads for the schools I'm applying to lolGood point haha! I feel like we are applying to the same schools lmfao!
Yeah at least 3-4!Yea I was just about to say I think I've seen you on the same threads for the schools I'm applying to lol
Hey I think you should apply. I m not Black either, but I think what they want to see is that if you are interested in working with the underserved communities which have a lot of Black populations. I mean, let's just give it a shot yeah?So I just received a secondary invite and I don't know if I want to complete it. I know Meharry blatantly favors African Americans and I am white, I have also heard gripes from students of the 80k a year tuition. could anybody give me advice on these two concerns? Thanks!
What are the prompts?
.
Last edited:
Good luck to all of you!! Hope my review helped some of you!! Can't wait to see those acceptances come in!
Yeah at least 3-4!
lol so there's a good chance I may see you in real life at some point 🙂
I'm white too... 🙂 I have alot of experience working in underserved communities so I hope that helps.
Meharry likes diversity (meaning a diverse class which includes ORM) and esp those who have ECs with the underserved. If you're ORM don't be afraid to give it a shot, esp if they sent you the secondary. You never know what might happen 😉
What did y'all get on the mcat?
28
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
27What did y'all get on the mcat?
Hello ladies and gents. For those who submitted the secondary app, what does your current status read?
Where do you see your status??Hello ladies and gents. For those who submitted the secondary app, what does your current status read?
EDIT: Never mind, mine says submitted.
I submitted my supplemental application 8/1/14. Even though my secondary app states "submitted", my status states: "Confirming payment option". Is this the case for anyone else? I might call admissions tomorrow to see what's going on.
This is the case for me, and I think it is because i received AMCAS waiver. In any case if you do speak to them please keep us updated!I submitted my supplemental application 8/1/14. Even though my secondary app states "submitted", my status states: "Confirming payment option". Is this the case for anyone else? I might call admissions tomorrow to see what's going on.
Alright, so I got an email confirming my application is complete (AMCAS payment cleared and etc.)
What day did you submit?Alright, so I got an email confirming my application is complete (AMCAS payment cleared and etc.)
Same day they sent the secondary, August 1st.
Oh ok I submitted the 2ndSame day they sent the secondary, August 1st.
You're right, I added the first year and yr 1 decel found on http://www.mmc.edu/prospectivestudents/tuition-and-fees/053014_somtuition.pdf to get about 80k, but i realized the yr 1 decel is a decelerated program and not related to normal year 1. Sorry for the misleading information folks! I have opted to withdraw from Meharry pre-secondary based on their low affinity for european american applicantsi dont get it when people say tuition here is 80,000 but when i look at other sources like msar i only see 48,000.
You're right, I added the first year and yr 1 decel found on http://www.mmc.edu/prospectivestudents/tuition-and-fees/053014_somtuition.pdf to get about 80k, but i realized the yr 1 decel is a decelerated program and not related to normal year 1. Sorry for the misleading information folks! I have opted to withdraw from Meharry pre-secondary based on their low affinity for european american applicants
Good luck to you with the USUHS and other applications! 🙂
You're right, I added the first year and yr 1 decel found on http://www.mmc.edu/prospectivestudents/tuition-and-fees/053014_somtuition.pdf to get about 80k, but i realized the yr 1 decel is a decelerated program and not related to normal year 1. Sorry for the misleading information folks! I have opted to withdraw from Meharry pre-secondary based on their low affinity for european american applicants
Hello my friend! Actually Meharry Medical College does not have a "low affinity for European American" applicants! I have been on the beautiful campus recently and the faculty/staff/and student body is quite diverse. I love Meharry Medical College for that, and so much more! I pray that you are accepted into the medical school that God has for you! God Bless!
Hello my friend! Actually Meharry Medical College does not have a "low affinity for European American" applicants! I have been on the beautiful campus recently and the faculty/staff/and student body is quite diverse. I love Meharry Medical College for that, and so much more! I pray that you are accepted into the medical school that God has for you! God Bless!
I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when a school accepts 110 students and 10 are white, I think this speaks for itself. Thanks for the positive encouragement though, I am a hopefull USUHS reapplicant!
I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when a school accepts 110 students and 10 are white, I think this speaks for itself. Thanks for the positive encouragement though, I am a hopefull USUHS reapplicant!
So does this mean that most other schools where the opposite is true and the overwhelming percentage of students are white would be seen as having a preference or affinity toward whites? Hmmm....interesting. Shrugs. Best wishes with your reapplication to USUHS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So does this mean that most other schools where the opposite is true and the overwhelming percentage of students are white would be seen as having a preference or affinity toward whites? Hmmm....interesting. Shrugs. Best wishes with your reapplication to USUHS.
Not at all; if you look up some facts you'll find most matriculating classes are representative of the applicant pool. in 2012 there were 27,000 white applicants, next highest was 10,000 asians, then 4,000 black from a total of around 45,000 applicants. most schools base their selection on academic credentials and extracurricular involvement. Meharry seems to pretty blatantly favor the african demographic. If you don't wanna hear it from me, here are the first two sentences from meharry's mission statement: "Meharry Medical College was founded just eleven years after the end of the Civil War with the mission of educating African Americans to serve the underserved. Today, the nation's largest private, historically black academic health science center has trained thousands of health care professionals." If you want further solidification you can peruse the matriculation information.
as a final note I don't have an issue with Meharry's preference, but I can't help but feel like I am at a bit of a disadvantage as a white applicant
quote from: http://www.mmc.edu/_modules/events/didyouknow2.html
demographic facts found at https://www.aamc.org/download/321472/data/2012factstable8.pdf
Meharry is an HBCU so of course their goal is to get more URM in the field, yet they state on multiple pages that they're not discouraging white applicants, that they want diversity (which includes ORM). We do NOT know the number of white students applying so how can we know that this isn't representative of their applicant pool. Think about it for a second, what white applicants are going to apply to HBCU's? Mostly the one with low stats because these schools typically take applicants with low stats. Only a few have a real calling to the missions set out by these schools. We cannot assume that just because they only accepted 10 it was because they wanted a class with 90% URM, though it could be the case, what I'm saying is we can't assume. You know what they say about assuming.
Anyway, everyone's been encouraging, but honestly why bother even sending the primary if you thought you didn't have a shot? They screen for secondaries, you get one and then say meh? No sarcasm here, I'm just wondering the logic in that.
As has already been said good luck on the rest of your apps and thanks for making our list of competing applicants just that much shorter lol but please let's not start a debate on this because I've honestly enjoyed the fact that the school-specific forums are uber encouraging and not the bs that pervades the general forums.
Anyway, everyone's been encouraging, but honestly why bother even sending the primary if you thought you didn't have a shot? They screen for secondaries, you get one and then say meh? No sarcasm here, I'm just wondering the logic in that.
As has already been said good luck on the rest of your apps and thanks for making our list of competing applicants just that much shorter lol but please let's not start a debate on this because I've honestly enjoyed the fact that the school-specific forums are uber encouraging and not the bs that pervades the general forums.
+1; good luck everyone. While focusing on stats is important lets not forget they are not everything in the process.Meharry is an HBCU so of course their goal is to get more URM in the field, yet they state on multiple pages that they're not discouraging white applicants, that they want diversity (which includes ORM). We do NOT know the number of white students applying so how can we know that this isn't representative of their applicant pool. Think about it for a second, what white applicants are going to apply to HBCU's? Mostly the one with low stats because these schools typically take applicants with low stats. Only a few have a real calling to the missions set out by these schools. We cannot assume that just because they only accepted 10 it was because they wanted a class with 90% URM, though it could be the case, what I'm saying is we can't assume. You know what they say about assuming.
Anyway, everyone's been encouraging, but honestly why bother even sending the primary if you thought you didn't have a shot? They screen for secondaries, you get one and then say meh? No sarcasm here, I'm just wondering the logic in that.
As has already been said good luck on the rest of your apps and thanks for making our list of competing applicants just that much shorter lol but please let's not start a debate on this because I've honestly enjoyed the fact that the school-specific forums are uber encouraging and not the bs that pervades the general forums.
Ps. @LilEngineThatCould I've seen you on many other school specific threads of schools I applied to. I'd definitely want to be your classmate haha.
Meharry is an HBCU so of course their goal is to get more URM in the field, yet they state on multiple pages that they're not discouraging white applicants, that they want diversity (which includes ORM). We do NOT know the number of white students applying so how can we know that this isn't representative of their applicant pool. Think about it for a second, what white applicants are going to apply to HBCU's? Mostly the one with low stats because these schools typically take applicants with low stats. Only a few have a real calling to the missions set out by these schools. We cannot assume that just because they only accepted 10 it was because they wanted a class with 90% URM, though it could be the case, what I'm saying is we can't assume. You know what they say about assuming.
Anyway, everyone's been encouraging, but honestly why bother even sending the primary if you thought you didn't have a shot? They screen for secondaries, you get one and then say meh? No sarcasm here, I'm just wondering the logic in that.
As has already been said good luck on the rest of your apps and thanks for making our list of competing applicants just that much shorter lol but please let's not start a debate on this because I've honestly enjoyed the fact that the school-specific forums are uber encouraging and not the bs that pervades the general forums.
Well said!!!
What are y'alls stats?