2014-2015 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1; good luck everyone. While focusing on stats is important lets not forget they are not everything in the process.

Ps. @LilEngineThatCould I've seen you on many other school specific threads of schools I applied to. I'd definitely want to be your classmate haha.

Lol aww thanks 🙂
 
Good luck everyone! I love Meharry's mission and vibe, garnered from webpage, student comments...no visit. I have 29 MCAT, 3.56 GPA undergrad, 3.76 Postbac, and 3.94 grad. Sgpa was not straight forward. I'm a white woman, 38 with tons of healthcare experience, and total dedication to underserved communities--both historically and going forward. I'm curious what the "screening" process is? I'm very hopeful for an interview. Submitted 2 days ago. Best of luck everyone!
 
Meharry is an HBCU so of course their goal is to get more URM in the field, yet they state on multiple pages that they're not discouraging white applicants, that they want diversity (which includes ORM). We do NOT know the number of white students applying so how can we know that this isn't representative of their applicant pool. Think about it for a second, what white applicants are going to apply to HBCU's? Mostly the one with low stats because these schools typically take applicants with low stats. Only a few have a real calling to the missions set out by these schools. We cannot assume that just because they only accepted 10 it was because they wanted a class with 90% URM, though it could be the case, what I'm saying is we can't assume. You know what they say about assuming.

Anyway, everyone's been encouraging, but honestly why bother even sending the primary if you thought you didn't have a shot? They screen for secondaries, you get one and then say meh? No sarcasm here, I'm just wondering the logic in that.

As has already been said good luck on the rest of your apps and thanks for making our list of competing applicants just that much shorter lol but please let's not start a debate on this because I've honestly enjoyed the fact that the school-specific forums are uber encouraging and not the bs that pervades the general forums.

Facts are facts, there is no bs is what I posted, and I sent a primary based on their average stats, I didn't do enough research on the school or else I wouldn't have submitted the primary. If you are suggesting that the demographiscs of Meharry's applicant pool are significantly different than the nation, maybe your argument makes sense, but I doubt that the ~60% of white applicants ignored Meharry. In fact, I would think many applied there because they (and me) don't know what a HBCU is and apply to schools based on state preference and average grades and MCATs, and dont have the time to do sufficient research on every program they send a primary application for. There is no debate, I am making statements based on facts. if you want uber encouragement, maybe try a jazzercise class
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meharry is an HBCU so of course their goal is to get more URM in the field, yet they state on multiple pages that they're not discouraging white applicants, that they want diversity (which includes ORM). We do NOT know the number of white students applying so how can we know that this isn't representative of their applicant pool. Think about it for a second, what white applicants are going to apply to HBCU's? Mostly the one with low stats because these schools typically take applicants with low stats. Only a few have a real calling to the missions set out by these schools. We cannot assume that just because they only accepted 10 it was because they wanted a class with 90% URM, though it could be the case, what I'm saying is we can't assume. You know what they say about assuming.

Anyway, everyone's been encouraging, but honestly why bother even sending the primary if you thought you didn't have a shot? They screen for secondaries, you get one and then say meh? No sarcasm here, I'm just wondering the logic in that.

As has already been said good luck on the rest of your apps and thanks for making our list of competing applicants just that much shorter lol but please let's not start a debate on this because I've honestly enjoyed the fact that the school-specific forums are uber encouraging and not the bs that pervades the general forums.

Bravo. Well said.
 
Facts are facts, there is no bs is what I posted, and I sent a primary based on their average stats, I didn't do enough research on the school or else I wouldn't have submitted the primary. If you are suggesting that the demographiscs of Meharry's applicant pool are significantly different than the nation, maybe your argument makes sense, but I doubt that the ~60% of white applicants ignored Meharry. In fact, I would think many applied there because they (and me) don't know what a HBCU is and apply to schools based on state preference and average grades and MCATs, and dont have the time to do sufficient research on every program they send a primary application for. There is no debate, I am making statements based on facts. if you want uber encouragement, maybe try a jazzercise class

Sure thanks for the suggestion. Jazzercise sounds fun. The MSAR exists and tells you everything that's all I'm saying. It's a lesson that you don't apply without doing enough research. I don't have money to blindly apply to every school with my stats and I learned that when I got across the board rejections my first time. Talk about $500 down the drain. But the lesson was priceless. Again, good luck to you elsewhere! :luck::xf:
 
Facts are facts, there is no bs is what I posted, and I sent a primary based on their average stats, I didn't do enough research on the school or else I wouldn't have submitted the primary. If you are suggesting that the demographiscs of Meharry's applicant pool are significantly different than the nation, maybe your argument makes sense, but I doubt that the ~60% of white applicants ignored Meharry. In fact, I would think many applied there because they (and me) don't know what a HBCU is and apply to schools based on state preference and average grades and MCATs, and dont have the time to do sufficient research on every program they send a primary application for. There is no debate, I am making statements based on facts. if you want uber encouragement, maybe try a jazzercise class

Dude, excessive much? 89.7% sure no one is forcing you to submit a secondary application. You started off with what seemed like a fairly innocuous question and received a response. Obviously you didn't find it satisfactory and proceeded to delineate all the reasons why you believe this medical school suspiciously seems to have more tan people in its classes than you expected. Someone suggested that the argument could go both ways and you disagreed once more. Far be it from me to say that no one cares why you choose not to apply to a certain school; I can't speak for anyone but myself. With that said, I personally don't care, I'm fervently tired of reading your reasons and humbly suggest you retire them for another venue.

I understand that this is a stressful process - I am equally stressed out - but someone at some point in this journey should have told you that research into the schools you're applying to is an almost intrinsic part of the process. Someone should have also told you that arguments on the internet are futile, but that's another story...


Nehoot, good luck & cheers!
 
Dude, excessive much? 89.7% sure no one is forcing you to submit a secondary application. You started off with what seemed like a fairly innocuous question and received a response. Obviously you didn't find it satisfactory and proceeded to delineate all the reasons why you believe this medical school suspiciously seems to have more tan people in its classes than you expected. Someone suggested that the argument could go both ways and you disagreed once more. Far be it from me to say that no one cares why you choose not to apply to a certain school; I can't speak for anyone but myself. With that said, I personally don't care, I'm fervently tired of reading your reasons and humbly suggest you retire them for another venue.

I understand that this is a stressful process - I am equally stressed out - but someone at some point in this journey should have told you that research into the schools you're applying to is an almost intrinsic part of the process. Someone should have also told you that arguments on the internet are futile, but that's another story...


Nehoot, good luck & cheers!

I'm 89.7% sure no one is forcing you to read about my experience. it may not be helpful for you, but someone may read it and be aware that the school matriculates a large number of African Americans. it's also pretty interesting how you state arguments on the internet are futile when you seem to be instigating one. either way I'm not much worried about Meharry, and I still feel like I'm in a good position to be in the 2015 medical entering class
 
I'm 89.7% sure no one is forcing you to read about my experience. it may not be helpful for you, but someone may read it and be aware that the school matriculates a large number of African Americans. it's also pretty interesting how you state arguments on the internet are futile when you seem to be instigating one. either way I'm not much worried about Meharry, and I still feel like I'm in a good position to be in the 2015 medical entering class
can you please stop with your annoying posts...ok we get it, you can stop now. i keep getting notifications from meharry and everytime i go check thinking its something to do with app like an II, its nothing but your arguments...take this somewhere else, better yet you can start another thread to continue your argument...the rest of us dont care or want to hear it pleaseeeee😉:annoyed:👎
 
I'm 89.7% sure no one is forcing you to read about my experience. it may not be helpful for you, but someone may read it and be aware that the school matriculates a large number of African Americans. it's also pretty interesting how you state arguments on the internet are futile when you seem to be instigating one. either way I'm not much worried about Meharry, and I still feel like I'm in a good position to be in the 2015 medical entering class
Yeah, I don't care about your complaints either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not complaining I'm sharing my application experience on SDN; on a thread created for that specifically. you guys all say you don't care or go away but your all talking to me.. if you want me to stop then stop quoting my posts and commenting
 
I'm not complaining I'm sharing my application experience on SDN; on a thread created for that specifically. you guys all say you don't care or go away but your all talking to me.. if you want me to stop then stop quoting my posts and commenting

This is an application progress thread. Are you applying? No. Okay that's great. Perhaps you'd like to start another thread since this one is about application progress. If you've already decided not to apply then move on. As you said, you're not worrying about Meharry, and I'm sure the feeling would be mutual if they even knew you existed. We all feel like we are in a great position to be a part of the 2015 entering class, so just remember that wherever people end up attending doesn't matter much because at the end of it all, we'll all be called "doctor." Go ahead and respond....you know you want to. You have everyone's permission to get the last word.
 
This is an application progress thread. Are you applying? No. Okay that's great. Perhaps you'd like to start another thread since this one is about application progress. If you've already decided not to apply then move on. As you said, you're not worrying about Meharry, and I'm sure the feeling would be mutual if they even knew you existed. We all feel like we are in a great position to be a part of the 2015 entering class, so just remember that wherever people end up attending doesn't matter much because at the end of it all, we'll all be called "doctor." Go ahead and respond....you know you want to. You have everyone's permission to get the last word.

OK.. I think I'm done responding to the waterfall of argumentative remarks. my only reason for saying what I said is to share my experience, and everyone took it a step further. this wasn't a goal of mine going into this, either way, goodluck to everyone at Meharry, I'm sure it's a good school

cheers
 
Hey guys, I just received the email about them getting my application on Friday the 8th? Roughly how long did it take them to send you a secondary, I want to see how much longer I have to polish up my secondary.
 
Hey guys, I just received the email about them getting my application on Friday the 8th? Roughly how long did it take them to send you a secondary, I want to see how much longer I have to polish up my secondary.


Received email on July 7th, received secondary on August 1st.

🙂
 
Hi all,

I received a secondary from here but now I am having second thoughts about submitting a secondary. I understand the school is very diverse and accepts student from multiple backgrounds which is why I applied in the first place, but now I have read that it's a very Christian school. I am not christian and the thing that makes me diverse is that I am a Sikh, practice sikhism, the fifth largest religion in the world.

Do you think I should go ahead and apply or just withdraw now?

Thank you for all your input, sorry for errors, first time using SDN.
 
Hi all,

I received a secondary from here but now I am having second thoughts about submitting a secondary. I understand the school is very diverse and accepts student from multiple backgrounds which is why I applied in the first place, but now I have read that it's a very Christian school. I am not christian and the thing that makes me diverse is that I am a Sikh, practice sikhism, the fifth largest religion in the world.

Do you think I should go ahead and apply or just withdraw now?

Thank you for all your input, sorry for errors, first time using SDN.

I haven't heard of them being too religious or having it affect their curriculum besides being into community service. The schools like this are Loma Linda and Loyola I think. Maybe some past students could chime in, but I hadn't heard anything negative about them as far as being affiliated with the United Methodist church. I would try to contact some past students on SDN.

Edit: if you can afford it, I would go ahead and apply and you can always find out on interview day if it's not a good school for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
their secondary is just an online link correct? where you fill out more info and an essay at the end that's like "why do you want to go to meharry?" Correct me if i'm wrong
 
Secondary submitted today. After its submitted do we just wait around ? I don't know if there is a page where we can check the status? All of my recommendations are in except my letter from an MD. Do we just wait now and hope for another e-mail?
 
Facts are facts, there is no bs is what I posted, and I sent a primary based on their average stats, I didn't do enough research on the school or else I wouldn't have submitted the primary. If you are suggesting that the demographiscs of Meharry's applicant pool are significantly different than the nation, maybe your argument makes sense, but I doubt that the ~60% of white applicants ignored Meharry. In fact, I would think many applied there because they (and me) don't know what a HBCU is and apply to schools based on state preference and average grades and MCATs, and dont have the time to do sufficient research on every program they send a primary application for. There is no debate, I am making statements based on facts. if you want uber encouragement, maybe try a jazzercise class

You say you make statements based on fact, well then, get ready to read this fact. Just because Meharry has 10 white matriculants in a recent entering class does not mean that only 10 white applicants received acceptance letters. Most medical schools send close to double the number of acceptance letters as compared to their class size. Therefore, it's much more likely that Meharry sent acceptance letters to 20 + white applicants and 10 + white applicants rejected Meharry's acceptance offer. Furthermore, I know with reasonable certainty that a significant percentage of white applicants do not apply to HBCUs simply because they don't want to be the "odd one out" in the class, they don't want to be a minority in the class. That's their problem and their choice. Don't blame it on HBCUs.