-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Northwestern University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How much do their merit scholarships cover?Via email for me!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nada, my caesar hasn't been updated either.Holding my breath for financial aid package today...has anyone heard yet?
They said they'd email us on the Northwestern email account we created, so I'm just madly refreshing that. I've also checked caesar but nothing there yet either.Do you get a message when caesar gets updated?
They said they'd email us on the Northwestern email account we created, so I'm just madly refreshing that. I've also checked caesar but nothing there yet either.
+1 🙂
Financial aid just now! I don't have much to compare it to, but it seems generous! Makes it competitive with tuition at my state schools.
Congrats! Did you submit really early? I had my stuff in by March 2nd, but I'm wondering if they are still working on all of those. I called the aid office and they said they started sending out packages today based on a "first come first serve" basis.Financial aid just now! I don't have much to compare it to, but it seems generous! Makes it competitive with tuition at my state schools.
Edit: How were you notified- an email to your Northwestern account?
I haven't received an e-mail but my financial aid package is available on CAESAR. I sent everything in the first week of March
Congrats! Did you submit really early? I had my stuff in by March 2nd, but I'm wondering if they are still working on all of those. I called the aid office and they said they started sending out packages today based on a "first come first serve" basis.
Edit: How were you notified- an email to your Northwestern account?
I submitted my estimated FAFSA and Need access in early February, then resubmitted before March 2 with the final numbers. It was sent to my Northwestern account. I autoforward to my gmail, much easier (options->create inbox rule).
LMAO, my fin aid is up too and my estimated family contribution is beyond ridiculous.
LMAO, my fin aid is up too and my estimated family contribution is beyond ridiculous.
+1
Lol, didn't even see that on the letter mine as well.LMAO, my fin aid is up too and my estimated family contribution is beyond ridiculous.
Financial aid just now! I don't have much to compare it to, but it seems generous! Makes it competitive with tuition at my state schools.
YESS! Glad to hear it!
Got a very loan-heavy offer this morning, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a 'lil bit of free money in Feinberg's offer. Still going to be in deep, deep debt, I've come to realize this will probably be the norm for most of my packages. Kudos to Feinberg for the fast rollout!
+3LMAO, my fin aid is up too and my estimated family contribution is beyond ridiculous.
There was nothing "expected" about that contribution.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The EFC they calculated is literally half my parents' current post-tax income. I'll graduate with over $300,000 in debt.+3
There was nothing "expected" about that contribution.![]()
Wow I gave up checking and I'm glad I checked SDN right now.
Not really sure what to expect, is $10,000 a lot? Because I was hoping for more 🙁
Not really sure what to expect, is $10,000 a lot? Because I was hoping for more 🙁
Click the "view my aid award/offer form" or whatever the link in the upper right says, that's where the full breakdown is in PDF form.Wow I gave up checking and I'm glad I checked SDN right now.
Not really sure what to expect, is $10,000 a lot? Because I was hoping for more 🙁
Edit: I guess you found it lol
Click the "view my aid award/offer form" or whatever the link in the upper right says, that's where the full breakdown is in PDF form.
Edit: I guess you found it lol
Lol yeah thanks, I realized I asked a stupid question and remembered how to check this from 5 years ago for undergrad, thanks so much though!
Edit: and wow, EFC is huge...what the heck.
No problem. And yeah, they clearly don't care if we indicate that our parents won't be contributing.Lol yeah thanks, I realized I asked a stupid question and remembered how to check this from 5 years ago for undergrad, thanks so much though!
Edit: I don't mean to sound entitled either; if they said they expected my parents to contribute a little I could see that, but the amount they calculated is just insane.
No problem. And yeah, they clearly don't care if we indicate that our parents won't be contributing.
Yeah, this makes me kind of sad. I was hoping the large endowments of NU was going to help us out a little bit...they made their financial aid office seem so generous during interview and tour and such 🙁
Lol Dr. Wallace actually told us he wished they could offer more need-based aid, I took that to mean they didn't have much.Yeah, this makes me kind of sad. I was hoping the large endowments of NU was going to help us out a little bit...they made their financial aid office seem so generous during interview and tour and such 🙁
Lol Dr. Wallace actually told us he wished they could offer more need-based aid, I took that to mean they didn't have much.
Wow I am honestly kind of shocked...I feel like they are basically telling me not to go to the school lol. My EFC is ridiculous. Even if they paid off on their house and whatever else they still wouldn't just drop $30,000 toward my med school education?!
Also who lives for an entire year on $2900? That's $241 a month for food and fun?
Well to be clear, the Room and Board category ($16,620) is supposed to cover rent/utilities and food.Wow I am honestly kind of shocked...I feel like they are basically telling me not to go to the school lol. My EFC is ridiculous. Even if they paid off on their house and whatever else they still wouldn't just drop $30,000 toward my med school education?!
Also who lives for an entire year on $2900? That's $241 a month for food and fun?
Well to be clear, the Room and Board category ($16,620) is supposed to cover rent/utilities and food.
Huh. This is kind of a revelation for me. Basically from all the MD's and DO's I worked with the past year, every one complains about their loans etc etc I guess I never realized the magnitude of financial sacrifice.
This is where the decision of state school vs. private school in an awesome city becomes especially difficult...Huh. This is kind of a revelation for me. Basically from all the MD's and DO's I worked with the past year, every one complains about their loans etc etc I guess I never realized the magnitude of financial sacrifice.
Yeah... its 30% of my parents. They can't pay anywhere near that and I don't expect them to contribute anything based on their financial situation. I'm not paying too much attention to that number tbh. It does make me sincerely miss my UG's fantastic financial aid. Adding up all the UG scholarship money for one of the financial aid questionnaires made me appreciate it a lot and this does even more.The EFC they calculated is literally half my parents' current post-tax income. I'll graduate with over $300,000 in debt.
I don't but I'd guess outside scholarships?Does anyone else have any money in the other resources section? Any idea what this means?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be fair Feinberg is my only acceptance, but my LizzyM is over 81 and I didn't get one. It's not just based on stats.What kind of stats grant a merit scholarship at NU?
Eighty mf'ing one????? Wow. Thats awesome!! Enough said.To be fair Feinberg is my only acceptance, but my LizzyM is over 81 and I didn't get one. It's not just based on stats.
I'll trade you a couple points for some better financial aid lolEighty mf'ing one????? Wow. Thats awesome!! Enough said.
Called the finaid office again to clarify some things, and they said if you submitted your forms early (before the deadline) you, "should be hearing back in the next week or so." They said they are working hard to be conscious of everyone needed to know their financial situation for next year so they are trying to get everything out as fast as they can. So, could be a few more days before some people hear anything.
Same thing just happened here -- thanks for clarifying. I had no idea what "alternate acceptance received" meant. I thought they were saying they have received notice that you have another acceptance and I was rather confused *facepalm*Woke up to an email with the subject "FSM Alternate Acceptance Received"
Got a little excited :/, but I guess they just processed my email from a month ago saying that I did indeed want to be on the alternate list.
Woke up to an email with the subject "FSM Alternate Acceptance Received"
Got a little excited :/, but I guess they just processed my email from a month ago saying that I did indeed want to be on the alternate list.
I think this wins the award for the most misleading/ambiguous subject line of the application cycle hahaSame thing just happened here -- thanks for clarifying. I had no idea what "alternate acceptance received" meant. I thought they were saying they have received notice that you have another acceptance and I was rather confused *facepalm*
FAFSA processed and Need Access submitted before Valentine's Day.For those that received a financial package, could you please post the submission day of fafsa/need access?
I submitted my stuff pretty late, around Feb 24 or so and stuff did not get mailed till March 3-4
(did not know I was getting into the school)
(did not know I was getting into the school)
Financial aid materials were in around mid February and I got my award yesterday. Pleasantly surprised with the need based grant they gave me, though I will still have to take loans out the wazoo.
I hope not.Have all merit scholarships been awarded at this point?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also got my financial package yesterday, only private loan with no scholarship/need based grant whatsoever (I thought international students also have a shot at this?). Since my family cannot contribute anything, I would have to take out a loan equivalent to the cost of attendance. 

Check your NU email, I didn't get a notification for my need based aid at my AMCAS email, just my NU One.Has anyone else not heard back yet from financial aid but submitted their materials by the May 2nd/3 weeks after acceptance deadline?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K