2014-2015 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't know that there would be decisions tomorrow specifically, but when I interviewed 2/4 they said we would get an initial decision before the deferred decisions happened. Btw, when is the deferred decision date?
 
I didn't know that there would be decisions tomorrow specifically, but when I interviewed 2/4 they said we would get an initial decision before the deferred decisions happened. Btw, when is the deferred decision date?
my money (1$) is on February 27th.
 
So it appears the pattern is decisions every other Weds., so solid chance of decisions going out tomorrow... for anyone who has gotten a decision - do you get them during the day or like at night?... just wanna know when to start hitting the refresh button and banging my head rain man style
 
Deferred until March just now at 10AM. This part of the email is very encouraging though,

"I expect that many of the applicants receiving this message will eventually receive an acceptance to FSM. Some will be placed on a waitlist and only a few will be declined. I wish we could have a final decision for you now, but the volume of candidates yet to be seen makes it advisable that we delay."

Please say you love me back Feinberg...
 
Deferred until March just now at 10AM. This part of the email is very encouraging though,

"I expect that many of the applicants receiving this message will eventually receive an acceptance to FSM. Some will be placed on a waitlist and only a few will be declined. I wish we could have a final decision for you now, but the volume of candidates yet to be seen makes it advisable that we delay."

Please say you love me back Feinberg...
Be glad that you only have to wait a week or so.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of us that are deferred, do you think sending a letter of intent would be helpful? To show we are still interested and would attend if accepted?
 
@az71 congrats!! I hope this means they're making their decisions earlier than march and that all those deferred will hear soon...how did you hear, email?
 
Interviewed Jan 12 as well, accepted today after being deferred to "March", same story as az71 I suppose!
I received e-mail today, came as such a surprise since I was planning to write a letter of intent tomorrow lol, guess that saves me about 1/2 day of agonizing over that.

Honestly the turnaround of this school is so fast, I feel like they never really make you wait like the other schools. Good luck all!
 
Interviewed Jan 12 as well, accepted today after being deferred to "March", same story as az71 I suppose!
I received e-mail today, came as such a surprise since I was planning to write a letter of intent tomorrow lol, guess that saves me about 1/2 day of agonizing over that.

Honestly the turnaround of this school is so fast, I feel like they never really make you wait like the other schools. Good luck all!

Also accepted today after being deferred!!
 
Woo also accepted totally unexpectedly after interviewing in January and being deferred!!

Theory: I turned my FAFSA in last week and indicated Northwestern as one of my schools- does anyone think that would speed up an application re-review? Were any other accepted students in this situation or not?
 
Ditto! Joining the October deferral -> acceptance pool! Congrats to everyone else and good luck to those waiting!

Surprised and excited about the news! Looks like the winter chill didn't hold their decision-making back. Hopefully this motivates me enough to scan in/send off all my tax info this evening...

Woo also accepted totally unexpectedly after interviewing in January and being deferred!!

Theory: I turned my FAFSA in last week and indicated Northwestern as one of my schools- does anyone think that would speed up an application re-review? Were any other accepted students in this situation or not?

As per their finaid webpage, they said they'll give you a 3 week grace period post-acceptance to get your finaid info in. 🙂 Reminder that finaid info ought to be sent in before March 1st!
 
As per their finaid webpage, they said they'll give you a 3 week grace period post-acceptance to get your finaid info in. 🙂 Reminder that finaid info ought to be sent in before March 1st!

Their website recommended submitting by Feb 13th to meet this deadline, so if anyone hasn't filled it out yet I would do that ASAP!
 
Ditto! Joining the October deferral -> acceptance pool! Congrats to everyone else and good luck to those waiting!

Surprised and excited about the news! Looks like the winter chill didn't hold their decision-making back. Hopefully this motivates me enough to scan in/send off all my tax info this evening...



As per their finaid webpage, they said they'll give you a 3 week grace period post-acceptance to get your finaid info in. 🙂 Reminder that finaid info ought to be sent in before March 1st!
Congrats!!🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Woo also accepted totally unexpectedly after interviewing in January and being deferred!!

Theory: I turned my FAFSA in last week and indicated Northwestern as one of my schools- does anyone think that would speed up an application re-review? Were any other accepted students in this situation or not?

I was also in this situation. I was accepted yesterday too! So thrilled 🙂
 
Last edited:
I noticed on the financial aid budget that there is a $2000 computer cost. Are students required to buy a specific kind of new computer, or if we have one already is that fine?
 
Trust me, that's just a placeholder for your student loans. If you have a basic lap top, you're good. The library there is pretty damn good and even has loaner laptops. You could pretty much do med school without a laptop if you wanted.
 
Waitlisted :/

Good god, I must be the worst medical school interviewee ever

Edit: Wait is alternate the same thing as waitlist?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think alternate and waitlist are the same thing. I was "deferred to March" previously.

Anyone know how much waitlist movement there is here?