2014-2015 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For march deferrals, do decisions come only in march, or any time between now and march?

I know most people are given this status.
 
Deferred until March. I wonder if it matters when I write them an update/interest letter. Maybe they're just gonna re-evaluate my application in the spring, so any time before then is fine (in which case I'd put it off until I have more to say in a couple months). Or, maybe they're in fact looking at my app a couple times between now and march, in which case I'd write my letter sooner rather than later...
 
Just curious for all of those who've finished their interviews, how did you guys prep? This is my first II and I honestly don't know what to expect.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those that have already interviewed, can you comment on how chill/stressful the interviews were?
 
Sure! My LizzM is between 75-79, usual ECs, except I do have considerable international experience/focus!

Very impressive! I really like Northwestern but my stats are way below their average. Since I was complete in September and haven't heard anything, I wonder if this is a silent reject.

Thanks so much for sharing! Good luck on your interview!!
 
If you were complete in September then its still too early to worry! I was complete in most places in August and have been hearing back this month, so you might be hearing good news in Nov/Dec, even January! Don't give up hope yet!!

Very impressive! I really like Northwestern but my stats are way below their average. Since I was complete in September and haven't heard anything, I wonder if this is a silent reject.

Thanks so much for sharing! Good luck on your interview!!
 
Just got an II today, very excited! But I am a little confused about the interview format. Can someone who has already interviewed explain. Is it panel and individual, or two individual faculty and then several 4th year med students? The info on SDN and their application portal differs from the info on the website. Just want to know what I am walking into.
 
Just got an II today, very excited! But I am a little confused about the interview format. Can someone who has already interviewed explain. Is it panel and individual, or two individual faculty and then several 4th year med students? The info on SDN and their application portal differs from the info on the website. Just want to know what I am walking into.

Two one-on-one faculty interviews, (mostly?) open-file, and a "panel" interview with a M4 student and one other applicant. The M4 interview is almost completely closed file - I think they know your ugrad institution.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else having trouble logging onto the portal this evening to view your status? I enter my log on information it doesn't process, and then it bounces back to the log on screen. Does this mean I've been rejected and taken out of their system??
 
Is anyone else having trouble logging onto the portal this evening to view your status? I enter my log on information it doesn't process, and then it bounces back to the log on screen. Does this mean I've been rejected and taken out of their system??

It's probably your browser. It does that to me on Chrome and Firefox. It only works on Safari. Try that!
 
Is anyone else having trouble logging onto the portal this evening to view your status? I enter my log on information it doesn't process, and then it bounces back to the log on screen. Does this mean I've been rejected and taken out of their system??
I had this problem! If you turn private browsing on, change browsers, or delete cookies (or all those things) it should work.
 
Got an email status update saying I've been put on hold and a final decision will be made in March. Fast turn around! I interviewed here two weeks ago.
 
Accepted!!!! Interviewed about a week ago...SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't use enough exclamation points!!!!!!
Congrats!! Do you mind sharing what day you interviewed? I also interviewed about a week ago but haven't heard anything :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad