You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Applying here! Good luck everyone!

Applying here as well! Hope my state school shows me some love.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This one seems to be a duplicate with the UMDNJ NJMS thread, FYI.
Applying as well! Hoping for some OOS love!
Applying as well! Hoping for some OOS love!
I know NJMS doesn't interview many OOSers. I send some luck your way~

Lol thanks! I know it's a long shot but I've done extensive service work in NJ so I'm hoping that will help. Best of luck to you as well!I know NJMS doesn't interview many OOSers. I send some luck your way~![]()
Can any current students offer advice about applying to NJMS? Also what do you love about the school?
Anyone know if we're supposed to be submitting the secondary before we get any kind of email from the school?
Anyone know if we're supposed to be submitting the secondary before we get any kind of email from the school?
I don't know about that. Most schools let you know when you can access their secondary.
Currently pre-writing the secondary. Is the second essay "additional info" like "necessary" for them? I mean in the sense that is it a place where you're supposed to elaborate extenuating circumstances or lapses in grades, or you can write whatever you want (like how you're so awesome and diverse etc.).
i'm applying here as OOS!!
Haha you really shouldn't.
Haha you really shouldn't.
lol.why is that?
lol.why is that?
Ha I was half joking, but mainly because there were 2088 OOS applicants last year, and only 40 of them got interviews, and 0 matriculated. NJMS has heavy in state bias.
But who knows maybe you will be one of those 40!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just submitted the secondary. Now if only AMCAS can mark my LORs as received...
Just submitted as well. This school is rolling so it is advantageous to be complete as soon as possible. Too bad my committee is slow lol.
Prompts:
1.) Please discuss any personal characteristics that make you a good fit for medicine, as well as a good fit for NJMS.
2.) If your legal residence on your AMCAS application is not NJ, please discuss specific reasons you have applied to NJMS and include connections you may have (if any) to New Jersey.
3.) Please discuss any additional information that you feel is important to your candidacy for medical school.
4.) If you are not attending college/university full-time as of fall 2014 or during the rest of the academic year, please describe your planned activities from June 2014 - August 2015.
Notice that the first prompt has slightly changed from last year, and has added "good fit for medicine" along with NJMS!
Prompts:
1.) Please discuss any personal characteristics that make you a good fit for medicine, as well as a good fit for NJMS.
2.) If your legal residence on your AMCAS application is not NJ, please discuss specific reasons you have applied to NJMS and include connections you may have (if any) to New Jersey.
3.) Please discuss any additional information that you feel is important to your candidacy for medical school.
4.) If you are not attending college/university full-time as of fall 2014 or during the rest of the academic year, please describe your planned activities from June 2014 - August 2015.
Notice that the first prompt has slightly changed from last year, and has added "good fit for medicine" along with NJMS!
Last edited:
Notice that the first prompt has slightly changed from last year, and has added "good fit for medicine" along with NJMS!
Oops...totally did not notice that. Hope they won't count it against me too much.
Oops...totally did not notice that. Hope they won't count it against me too much.
I think you'll be fine because there is obviously a lot of overlap. I only changed like one phrase in my pre-written secondary to account for the slight change in prompt (but I was almost too lazy to do that little too).
I received the link to the secondary this afternoon and completed it.. I have a question though.. the e-mail they sent said that they should receive all the LORs.. that is done through AMCAS though right?
Yes NJMS participates in the AMCAS letter service.
So I've been verified since 6/10, but still haven't received a secondary. What should I do?
So I've been verified since 6/10, but still haven't received a secondary. What should I do?
I wouldn't be too worried. NJMS doesn't screen. Just wait a bit longer.
Have you received a complete email?
Has anyone who applied early heard anything? I submitted my secondary on the 30th and haven't received an interview invite yet and I'm not sure if I should be worried...
I spoke with the admissions office today just to confirm completion of my application, and they told me that it was completed and then I asked when I should expect to hear back and the lady told me she's not entirely sure since they are still working on Early Decision Applicants. This could be why you haven't heard back yet.
IM IN!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! What was your interview date?IM IN!!
Congrats! What was your interview date?
7/2.
I think the reason for my very early interview is ED and I was verified 6/4
Accepted! Interview: 7/2 Verified: 6/10
Accepted! Interview: 7/2 Verified: 6/10
Hey man, I interviewed on 7/2 too! Did you interview in the morning though? My interview was at 2
mind sharing your stats please? This school is my top choice!IM IN!!
Congrats! mind sharing your stats please?Accepted! Interview: 7/2 Verified: 6/10
This forum helped me a lot on way through so I don't mind sharing
AMCAS GPA: 3.0
MCAT: 10/9/13- 32
NJMS SMP: 3.75
Mil veteran w/clinical experience overseas, 2 years undergrad research, Undergrad TA, 2 years science museum work, and a couple other EC's.
AMCAS GPA: 3.0
MCAT: 10/9/13- 32
NJMS SMP: 3.75
Mil veteran w/clinical experience overseas, 2 years undergrad research, Undergrad TA, 2 years science museum work, and a couple other EC's.
thanks for the reply!! one question....what's "NJMS SMP"This forum helped me a lot on way through so I don't mind sharing
AMCAS GPA: 3.0
MCAT: 10/9/13- 32
NJMS SMP: 3.75
Mil veteran w/clinical experience overseas, 2 years undergrad research, Undergrad TA, 2 years science museum work, and a couple other EC's.
thanks for the reply!! one question....what's "NJMS SMP"
special masters program
mind sharing your stats please? This school is my top choice!
Hey
I had a 3.84/ 29 (11,7,11)
Good luck!!
Congrats! Does anyone know when they start sending out IIs for the regular cycle?
Thanks! What were you're ECs like...mine are really basic so I'm a little worriedHey
I had a 3.84/ 29 (11,7,11)
Good luck!!
Thanks! What were you're ECs like...mine are really basic so I'm a little worried
I think the strongest thing about my application is the fact that I shadowed and got a letter from a physician at NJMS. This showed that I had strong ties with NJMS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So does NJMS send complete emails? I haven't heard any correspondence from them after I submitted my secondary, other than the payment receipt.
I believe Egyptian counts as Caucasian, so it is best to put that, or "other". Don't put black or african or anything.
I have a question....I am Egyptian but born in the states....what ethnicity should I put. There's no middle eastern option and I don't think I fit in the "White" group (which consists of all Europe and others).....what do you all think?
I believe Egyptian counts as Caucasian, so it is best to put that, or "other". Don't put black or african or anything.
I have a question....I am Egyptian but born in the states....what ethnicity should I put. There's no middle eastern option and I don't think I fit in the "White" group (which consists of all Europe and others).....what do you all think?
I would consider Egyptian of African descent, since it is located within Africa. I don't think Caucasian fits at all since Egypt isn't located within the Caucus region
I would consider Egyptian of African descent, since it is located within Africa. I don't think Caucasian fits at all since Egypt isn't located within the Caucus region
In the US Census Egyptian and Midde Eastern is considered white/caucasian. He can put African, but he will raise some eyebrows at interviews.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 253
- Views
- 93K