2014-2015 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I received an email for being an alternate on May 5. When I checked the status, it said that I had a final decision additional correspondence on May 11. Is that "final decision" just me being on the wait list?

I'm just speculating so *please* don't take this as fact, but in the past, people got status changes on their portal that said "applicant is wait listed" or something to that effect. So I would be *cautiously* optimistic that you may have been pulled from the waiting list. If you were designated as first quartile, I'd perhaps be more optimistic even. But take this with a grain of salt. The last thing I want to do is bring up anyones hopes when I have just as much (rather, little) insight into this process as anyone else.

I sincerely hope this is true though, because not only does that mean that you were accepted, but it also means that the list is moving for the rest of us wait-listers!

Though, sad story, the status website is down again, or at least it is for me! I was hoping to be able to check my status to compare against yours. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just speculating so *please* don't take this as fact, but in the past, people got status changes on their portal that said "applicant is wait listed" or something to that effect. So I would be *cautiously* optimistic that you may have been pulled from the waiting list. If you were designated as first quartile, I'd perhaps be more optimistic even. But take this with a grain of salt. The last thing I want to do is bring up anyones hopes when I have just as much (rather, little) insight into this process as anyone else.

I sincerely hope this is true though, because not only does that mean that you were accepted, but it also means that the list is moving for the rest of us wait-listers!

Though, sad story, the status website is down again, or at least it is for me! I was hoping to be able to check my status to compare against yours. :(

I hope so too! Also, the status page does seem to be working for me. It did say that it got moved to a new url but redirected me

Members don't see this ad :)

This has been mentioned a few times, but does this mean the ones still in Decision Pending are probably the ones waiting to make the waitlist? like the waitlist for the waitlist? I say this because there has been no rejections for ones that already interviewed, so a 'decision pending' is a pseudo rejection until 6/1/2015 when they can't hold any longer.

I hope so too! Also, the status page does seem to be working for me. It did say that it got moved to a new url but redirected me

Could you post the URL for the new status website? It's not redirecting me for some reason. Thanks!!

This has been mentioned a few times, but does this mean the ones still in Decision Pending are probably the ones waiting to make the waitlist? like the waitlist for the waitlist? I say this because there has been no rejections for ones that already interviewed, so a 'decision pending' is a pseudo rejection until 6/1/2015 when they can't hold any longer.

Some people on these forums have had guesses as to what the fate of "Decision Pending" students are. While it made sense to me that "Decision Pending" students are competing for a spot on the wait-list, I was told by 2 different people at UIC last week that "Decision Pending" students are still in the running towards being ACCEPTED, rejected, or wait-listed. I called on Wednesday (5/13/15) just to ask about this and the Admissions Counselor told me that "Decision Pending" students can end up in any of those three categories.

Reactions: 1 user
Some people on these forums have had guesses as to what the fate of "Decision Pending" students are. While it made sense to me that "Decision Pending" students are competing for a spot on the wait-list, I was told by 2 different people at UIC last week that "Decision Pending" students are still in the running towards being ACCEPTED, rejected, or wait-listed. I called on Wednesday (5/13/15) just to ask about this and the Admissions Counselor told me that "Decision Pending" students can end up in any of those three categories.
Pardon my bluntness, but who are these "people" and what do they know about admissions? Also, what motive do they have in telling you? Not to be skeptical, but they did say no decision will be made over phone, so clearly they will say "decision pending" can mean any of the three. Otherwise, the decision pending students would know they're out and would defeat the purpose of uic's discreet decisions

Pardon my bluntness, but who are these "people" and what do they know about admissions? Also, what motive do they have in telling you? Not to be skeptical, but they did say no decision will be made over phone, so clearly they will say "decision pending" can mean any of the three. Otherwise, the decision pending students would know they're out and would defeat the purpose of uic's discreet decisions

I called the admissions office and those people told me that, so I figured they know something about admissions. However, the admissions committee can do whatever they feel like. In the end, its best to just wait it out and see what happens on June 1st. I am informing you all of what I have been told, that's all.

Edit:
Oh and these upcoming acceptances will be made over the phone as they need information to process immediately since it is pretty late in the cycle already.
-From Admissions Counselor

Reactions: 1 users
I called the admissions office and those people told me that, so I figured they know something about admissions. However, the admissions committee can do whatever they feel like. In the end, its best to just wait it out and see what happens on June 1st. I am informing you all of what I have been told, that's all.
I agree with this one. My main concern is that they were told to tell people calling this because any other answer would be contradictory to their own stated rule. I just wanted to make sure people are aware of that

I agree with this one. My main concern is that they were told to tell people calling this because any other answer would be contradictory to their own stated rule. I just wanted to make sure people are aware of that

I agree

N. On or After May, 2 Possible Status Changes:
1. "Final Decision Made ... " You are (very likely) rejected. --> Goto X.
2. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. --> Goto Y.

S. There are 2 additional conditions from here:
1. There is an "Additional Correspondences" Tab in the upper-right corner on your status page AND you get a CBC Email (a few days later) = You are (very likely) accepted. --> Goto Z.
2. There is no "Additional Correspondences" Tab and/or you don't get the CBC Email = Rejection. [Note: This is tricky. The CBC email usually comes a few days after (1-4 is the consensus) the status change. Be patient. Sometimes, the email never comes, which might be because you already had a CBC done due to an acceptance at another school. In some instances, the CBC Email even comes after the snail-mail. If after a week, neither the tab nor the CBC email shows up, it's very likely a rejection. You've probably already received snail-mail by now alerting you to it.] --> Goto X.

X. "Final Decision Made ..." = Rejection attachFull192143 ... Wait for a "Thin Letter" via snail-mail.

Y. "Applicant is Waitlisted" = Waitlisted. :xf: ... The CBC Email no longer acts as an indicator of an acceptance. If you get accepted off of the waitlist, then Goto Z, else Goto X.

Z. "Final Decision Made ..." + "Additional Correspondences" Tab + CBC Email = (very likely) Acceptance attachFull192144 ... Wait for a "Fat Packet" via snail-mail. [Note: Sometimes CBC emails come after the packet. CBC emails also might never arrive if you got an acceptance to another school that also does CBC through AMCAS.]

People can argue that the admissions ppl you get via call say there's a chance they can get outright accepted, but I'm going to play it safe. This data seems more representative.

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-15_20-6-34.png
    upload_2015-5-15_20-6-34.png
    95 bytes · Views: 76
  • upload_2015-5-15_20-6-35.png
    upload_2015-5-15_20-6-35.png
    95 bytes · Views: 71
Thank you! So yeah, just checked and my status says "Applicant is Wait Listed" as I expected. So keeping my fingers crossed that your status change means that you will be getting some good news in your mailbox sometime soon! :luck:

I don't want to get too excited before actually getting a real letter in the mail, but this definitely does seem significant. Thanks for letting me know and my fingers are crossed as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is looking for female roommates for the Chicago campus, please PM me! I am currently looking for housing.

If anyone gets a call confirming a site change appeal, please let us know!

I called admissions late last week and the woman I spoke to said that, to her knowledge, no one has been moved yet.

If anyone gets a call confirming a site change appeal, please let us know!

I called admissions late last week and the woman I spoke to said that, to her knowledge, no one has been moved yet.
I was moved a while ago but that was sort of a special situation.

Called the admissions counselor today. Was inadvertently told that all 'decision pendings' are to be rejected or put on waitlist. After confirming that with him he did add in real quick that there may be outright acceptances too...which I seriously question because that would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the waitlist. Looks like I'm done here, good luck to the rest!

Reactions: 2 users
This may be a dumb question, but if the multiple acceptance deadline has already passed why would there be movement on the waitlist? Hasn't everyone already decided where they're going by now? I guess if there's a last-minute emergency I could see someone giving up a spot, but the majority of the movement is finished right?

Because some people held multiple acceptances. So if they held 5 and had to give up 4, there would be 4 openings elsewhere.

Because some people held multiple acceptances. So if they held 5 and had to give up 4, there would be 4 openings elsewhere.
You clearly did not understand the question being asked.

And cooper, it's not a dumb question. You essentially just addressed the white elephant in the room.

INeedToKnow: As I understood it, the multiple acceptance deadline was even earlier this year than normal... I think April instead of May. So that would mean that if people have had to make their decisions almost a month ago, the chain of openings would be finished most likely. For instance, if a student gave up 3 spots at other schools where he/she did not want to go, those spots would have already been given to other students who would have possibly given up spots at other places and so on. But it's been almost a month now since that deadline.

Soooo... at this point it doesn't matter what quartile you are in unless you are in the very very very top of the first one and one or two students have to give up their spots for something tragic or unforseen. The movement is most likely finished or will only be infinitesimal. Otherwise, it's game over... right? Sad.

You clearly did not understand the question being asked.

And cooper, it's not a dumb question. You essentially just addressed the white elephant in the room.

I believe movement on the waitlist now is predicated on waitlist movement for students accepted here, but on the waitlists of other schools. For example, pretend I was accepted to UIC, but was also on the waitlist for Harvard. If Harvard gives me a call in midsummer due to movement in their class I may chose to matriculate there over UIC. Just remember, while there is a requirement to maintain one acceptance by whatever date was specified there is no obligation whatsoever by anyone to drop their spot on the waitlist of any school until much later in the summer (if at all). So this type of movement might happen.

Additionally, there are folks who decided to drop their spot in a class due to extenuating circumstance which I'm sure is rare, but possible.

I believe movement on the waitlist now is predicated on waitlist movement for students accepted here, but on the waitlists of other schools. For example, pretend I was accepted to UIC, but was also on the waitlist for Harvard. If Harvard gives me a call in midsummer due to movement in their class I may chose to matriculate there over UIC. Just remember, while there is a requirement to maintain one acceptance by whatever date was specified there is no obligation whatsoever by anyone to drop their spot on the waitlist of any school until much later in the summer (if at all). So this type of movement might happen.

Additionally, there are folks who decided to drop their spot in a class due to extenuating circumstance which I'm sure is rare, but possible.
So....long story short it's DONE.

This is how it works. The waitlist of UofI especially moves throughout the summer, and as with any other school, you can be accepted up to the day of orientation. Happens all the time.

So....long story short it's DONE.
You are quite honestly one of the most negative posters I have seen on SDN for a long time. The majority of your posts are either speculation or just wrong, yet you state everything as if it is fact. I don't know you and hope you get an acceptance here. However judging from your attitude on this board, I do not think I will miss interacting with you as a classmate of mine in the upcoming year if you do not get in.

@cooper86

That said Wait List movement is not "DONE." Looking at past years threads for UIC, there are people that get in all the way through the end of July. You most likely should start reworking on your application if you hold no acceptances, but I would not go planning long trips in the early fall on the chance that you receive good news.

Reactions: 6 users
You are quite honestly one of the most negative posters I have seen on SDN for a long time. The majority of your posts are either speculation or just wrong, yet you state everything as if it is fact. I don't know you and hope you get an acceptance here. However judging from your attitude on this board, I do not think I will miss interacting with you as a classmate of mine in the upcoming year if you do not get in.

@cooper86

That said Wait List movement is not "DONE." Looking at past years threads for UIC, there are people that get in all the way through the end of July. You most likely should start reworking on your application if you hold no acceptances, but I would not go planning long trips in the early fall on the chance that you receive good news.
It's so doneskies.

It's so doneskies.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...f-illinois-application-thread.1003653/page-31

If you would go to the last page of the 2013-2014 thread you would see people were accepted 6/30, 7/19, and two on 7/22.

People that post on SDN are not a representation of the entire applicant pool to a school, so it would be safe to assume that more than 4 people were accepted from the end of June to mid-July. I did not even go back and look to see if there was more movement from mid-May to end of June.

You and I either have a different definition of "doneskies" or once again your speculation is just plain wrong. Your negativity helps no one and it is very annoying to see you so matter of factly post misinformation.

Reactions: 2 users
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...f-illinois-application-thread.1003653/page-31

If you would go to the last page of the 2013-2014 thread you would see people were accepted 6/30, 7/19, and two on 7/22.

People that post on SDN are not a representation of the entire applicant pool to a school, so it would be safe to assume that more than 4 people were accepted from the end of June to mid-July. I did not even go back and look to see if there was more movement from mid-May to end of June.

You and I either have a different definition of "doneskies" or once again your speculation is just plain wrong. Your negativity helps no one and it is very annoying to see you so matter of factly post misinformation.

By any chance, does anyone know how the new school in urbana affects the number of students they accept and the future of students?

By any chance, does anyone know how the new school in urbana affects the number of students they accept and the future of students?

It was brought up earlier in the thread, but basically it won't affect this year for sure. If anything, it's probably scaring off some people to other schools so maybe there will be even more movement because of it lol

Thank you! So yeah, just checked and my status says "Applicant is Wait Listed" as I expected. So keeping my fingers crossed that your status change means that you will be getting some good news in your mailbox sometime soon! :luck:

Well something messed up because my status is now "Student waitlisted"... not really sure what to think.

Post interview "A final decision was made on your application on.." with no additional correspondence or cbc email. Looks like they made a few rejections last Friday?

Last edited:
Post interview "A final decision was made on your application on.." with no additional correspondence or cbc email. Looks like they made a few rejections last Friday?

Were you part of the "decision pending" group? I just checked, I am still decision pending...
o_O

Were you part of the "decision pending" group? I just checked, I am still decision pending...
o_O
Yes I was. Post interview, all that jazz. Was surprised to see it updated as it was still "decision pending" last Thursday, but there you have it. Good luck!

I guess it's the end of the road for my process here. Good luck to those still waiting on UIC!

Just withdrew from the Chicago campus. Best of luck to anyone waiting on a spot in Chicago!

I just got accepted to the Peoria campus!

I was never wait listed, just decision pending until today. Linda Singleton gave me a call!

I am still in shock!

Reactions: 7 users
I received an email saying there is good news for me. Called Linda, was accepted to Peoria campus. I was never waitlisted. Always Decision Pending.

Oh and holy crap. I am going to med school

Reactions: 9 users
I received an email saying there is good news for me. Called Linda, was accepted to Peoria campus. I was never waitlisted. Always Decision Pending.

Oh and holy crap. I am going to med school

Congrats! I think we both just confirmed that the decision penders can still be accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.

Good luck to everyone one else!

Congrats! I think we both just confirmed that the decision penders can still be accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.

Good luck to everyone one else!

Cheers, I still cant believe this is happening. Especially with everyone and their speculation on this ambiguous process.
If anyone is interested. Interviewed 3/15 ish @ Chicago campus. OOS.

It's so doneskies.

Oh and its not "doneskies"
Sorry, had to do that.

I'll be doing that soon. I think Linda said I was accepted to Urbana - Peoria track but I forgot. I was so stunned that all I heard was August 17th which I am guessing is when school starts.

Just taken off the waitlist and accepted to the Chicago Campus...now the difficult decision of Rush vs UIC to make by June 5 :| :)

Oh and its not "doneskies"
Sorry, had to do that.

I'll be doing that soon. I think Linda said I was accepted to Urbana - Peoria track but I forgot. I was so stunned that all I heard was August 17th which I am guessing is when school starts.
You're not sorry, you're ecstatic that you can jab back at someone. Either way, this is good news for me hopefully. Continue waiting game.

Congrats to those who just got accepted. For those who were pulled from the waitlist, in addition to the phone call & email, did your status on the website change as well?

My status page now looks like this:

image.jpg

Last edited: