2014-2015 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply. (2000 characters)

Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc. (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is my #1 choice school!! I am hoping for some in-state love this cycle!!

I just completed my M1 year here at Mizzou. This forum was a big help to me when I was applying so I'd be happy to return the favor and answer questions anyone has. Feel free to post them on here or PM me. Good luck on this long journey you are all about to begin!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just completed my M1 year here at Mizzou. This forum was a big help to me when I was applying so I'd be happy to return the favor and answer questions anyone has. Feel free to post them on here or PM me. Good luck on this long journey you are all about to begin!

What do you love most about your school?

There are a lot of aspects of this past year that I really enjoyed. I'll start with the PBL curriculum. It is very different than any college curriculum. We work through medical cases each week which allows for a practical way of learning that you don't get at some other schools. It really introduces you to medical concepts before you'd normally get exposed to them (like we start learning how to interpret lab results and make differential diagnoses in the first week). We work through these cases in a small group of 8 people (which rotates every 8 weeks) and you spend a lot of time with your group so you can really get to know everyone I your class. But I'm not going to lie and say that everyone loves the curriculum. The learning is very self-directed and it is up to you to put in the time since exams aren't all that frequent and there are no quizzes or things in between.

I went to a smaller undergrad so one thing I really like about Mizzou is that you can still get that big school experience if you want (though the class size is still small). I got season tickets to football and basketball games which were awesome, especially since our football team did well this year. Since we only have exams every 8 weeks, we have more free time in the beginning of the block to go out or do whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
Good to know. Thanks so much for stopping by to give us the info.

Applying here OOS.

M3 here; I would say that the key aspect of what Sea Otter said is that the learning is very self-directed, meaning that by and large you have to figure out what is going to be on the exams, since they really don't tell you. I kind of liked being in charge of my own learning, but a lot of people don't, it just really depends on your learning style and what you are comfortable with. The other cool thing about the PBL curriculum is that it cuts down the lecture time significantly. Again, I enjoyed this because I find lectures to be a huge waste of time, but a lot of people are frustrated by this. I am happy to answer any questions about Mizzou you guys may have, so feel free to PM me or post your questions in this thread.

M3 here; I would say that the key aspect of what Sea Otter said is that the learning is very self-directed, meaning that by and large you have to figure out what is going to be on the exams, since they really don't tell you. I kind of liked being in charge of my own learning, but a lot of people don't, it just really depends on your learning style and what you are comfortable with. The other cool thing about the PBL curriculum is that it cuts down the lecture time significantly. Again, I enjoyed this because I find lectures to be a huge waste of time, but a lot of people are frustrated by this. I am happy to answer any questions about Mizzou you guys may have, so feel free to PM me or post your questions in this thread.
In that case, it sounds like this medical school is an even better match for me than I'd thought. :D

I am applying OOS but I live in a contiguous state. I have read on last year's forum about there being a "prove your ties" prompt for OOS applicants. Is that just for non-continuous state people or all out-of-staters?

I am applying OOS but I live in a contiguous state. I have read on last year's forum about there being a "prove your ties" prompt for OOS applicants. Is that just for non-continuous state people or all out-of-staters?

I think it is for all out of state applicants.

May be a stupid question, but the wording on the admissions website concerned me...Is it okay if we're completing some of the pre-reqs in the fall?

May be a stupid question, but the wording on the admissions website concerned me...Is it okay if we're completing some of the pre-reqs in the fall?
As long as they are finished by the time you matriculate, that's all that matters.

"Never half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing." - Ron Swanson

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying IS! This is the school I really want. Any secondaries out yet? :p

Got the oos email! Hometown here we come!

Also got the OOS email today!

I just got mine verified! Mizzou is definitely my first choice. I have started writing secondaries using the last year prompt, hope it's the same this year. Does anyone know when mizzou starts sending the secondaries?

OOS applicant here. Got an AMCAS overall GPA of 3.88 and 32 on the MCAT. Im guessing that does not qualify as exceptional academics right?

OOS applicant here. Got an AMCAS overall GPA of 3.88 and 32 on the MCAT. Im guessing that does not qualify as exceptional academics right?

I'm in about the same boat. GPA's slightly above average and MCATs average, so I don't think so.

Are you in a state bordering Mizzou? My numbers were nearly identical and I was OOS and got in so you have a chance!

Are you in a state bordering Mizzou? My numbers were nearly identical and I was OOS and got in so you have a chance!

I'm in California :/ but I have very strong family ties to Missouri and I am hoping that will help

still haven't gotten OOS email. anyone else still not have it?

I think secondaries take a little over a week for most people.

Last edited:
have anyone received the secondary this year yet??

I received mine today! In-state applicant.

In state, Lizzy M 69-70.

Can anyone give more details on the secondary?

Last edited:
I second the additional details for the secondary!

Last edited:
I second the additional details for the secondary!

I saw your stats before you edited your post. You'll get a secondary at least because last I heard 3.5/30+ gets in-staters an automatic interview.... That's how it was in the past at least.

Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply. (2000 characters)

Please outline how you might add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine. This could reference specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc. (2000 characters)

I am from a bordering state and did not get any essay on connection to the state of Missouri

Welp, just found out I can't even apply here because I took my prereqs at a Canadian school. Sucks to lose your state school :(

I saw your stats before you edited your post. You'll get a secondary at least because last I heard 3.5/30+ gets in-staters an automatic interview.... That's how it was in the past at least.

3.5+/28+ gets in staters an automatic interview :)

Does the 2000 character limit include spaces? I can't quite cut mine down to 2000, but that is including spaces.

In that regard, maybe I should be more concise with my writing so I can fit in what I want to say. Just trying to find the right balance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Is it possible to pay the application fee online, or do you have to send the money via a check?

Rejected today OOS with family ties to Missouri (dad grew up here and lots of extended family still lives there)

cGPA: 3.36
sGPA: 3.59
Post-Bacc: 3.99 (all pre-reqs)
MCAT: 35

Pretty bummed I didn't even get a secondary. I would have really liked to go here. Good luck to everyone else!

Received secondary today as OOS.
cGPA: 3.73
sGPA: 3.78
MCAT: 36
Undergrad: WUSTL

OOS here, raised and went to high school in MO. Lower stats but maybe I had a more convincing connection?

I'm having issues with uploading a picture, is anyone else?

OOS, denied a secondary.
3.88sGPA/3.92cCPA, 31 MCAT, born in MO, lived there for almost half my life, have family there, expressed desire to return and settle down in MO. Pretty annoyed right now.

OOS, denied a secondary.
3.88sGPA/3.92cCPA, 31 MCAT, born in MO, lived there for almost half my life, have family there, expressed desire to return and settle down in MO. Pretty annoyed right now.
Really? o_O Did they say why you were denied a secondary? I'm OOS with no ties, with stats not all that much better, and I still got one. I would think you'd have been given one for sure.

EDIT: Ohhh, I'm in a contiguous state. That must be the difference. I'm really sorry for you, though :(

Really? o_O Did they say why you were denied a secondary? I'm OOS with no ties, with stats not all that much better, and I still got one. I would think you'd have been given one for sure.

EDIT: Ohhh, I'm in a contiguous state. That must be the difference. I'm really sorry for you, though :(

They gave me a generic response about preferring MO residents. I'm not contiguous but I really thought I had pretty strong ties to the state. It is what it is, I guess.

@AspiringERMD Do you mind me asking what your stats were? Definitely understand if you'd rather not share. I'm OOS but in a contiguous state, and just wondering what my chances of receiving a secondary are. Also, did you have to fill out a "prove your ties" essay? Someone a few posts up from a contiguous state said they didn't have to do one, but I thought all OOS people had to.

@AspiringERMD Do you mind me asking what your stats were? Definitely understand if you'd rather not share. I'm OOS but in a contiguous state, and just wondering what my chances of receiving a secondary are. Also, did you have to fill out a "prove your ties" essay? Someone a few posts up from a contiguous state said they didn't have to do one, but I thought all OOS people had to.
I have a range in which my stats fall on my MDApplicants profile. :) No extra essay. That's for non-contiguous state-ers.

"The University of Missouri School of Medicine is a state-supported public institution. Because of our responsibilities to the citizens of Missouri, overwhelming preference is given to those applications for admission submitted by legal residents of the state.

Residents of geographically-contiguous states (Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma) are encouraged to submit applications if they have particularly strong credentials.

Individuals residing in all other states are eligible for admission, but their applications are unlikely to be successful unless the admissions committee finds some compelling reason to make an exception. Examples of such compelling reasons include exceptionally strong academic credentials, strong ties to the state of Missouri, and/or personal characteristics, backgrounds and experiences adding uncommon and desirable diversity to an entering class. Applicants must be either US citizen or permanent resident."

I received the Mizzou secondary as OOS from NC. No ties to MO whatsoever except that I graduated from WUSTL and did community service in a bunch of places around St. Louis.

Submitted! I like the old school sending in the printed sheet and mailing a check, had to break out the forever stamps and go out and buy a ream of paper. Here's hoping!