2014-2015 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know the pros and cons of the SELECT Program vs the CORE Program? I can't seem it find it anywhere.

Select goes to PA 3rd and 4th year
Select is more expensive (pay out of state tuition)
Select students have additional courses/activities that are supposed to build leadership and 'emotional intelligence'
Select students are paired with a mentor who they skype with every week, I believe

We meet with one of our faculty mentors for 1 hour once a month. This block I skype with my Lehigh Valley mentor. Next block I'll meet on campus with my USF mentor. That's just how my group decided to split it up, some groups switch mentors each month.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today for the CORE program! Not EDP, am OOS from California. Stats 33 mcat 3.85 science, 3.7 overall. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
God. why is this secondary SOO f'ing long.

Reactions: 1 users
Mind sharing stats?

I am in-state. B.A. in Chemistry, Conc. in Biochemistry, and Minor in Biology. 1.5 years of nucleotide chemistry and antibiotic synthesis research, 3 physician shadowing internships, extensive community service, private science tutor, strong letters of recommendation + committee letter, GPA 3.45 overall, sGPA 3.65, MCAT 32

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope I'm from miami, are you interviewing too? I assume you go or went to USF. If so, what are some pros and cons of the university and the surrounding area.

So I logged into the portal today and it said "Application Complete and last viewed on 9/3/14"

Does "last viewed" mean last time I logged in or last time they reviewed my application? I forgot if I checked it any other time after that date (mine said last Wed). If I log out and log back in and my status still says "Last viewed on 9/3/14"

So I logged into the portal today and it said "Application Complete and last viewed on 9/3/14"

Does "last viewed" mean last time I logged in or last time they reviewed my application? I forgot if I checked it any other time after that date (mine said last Wed). If I log out and log back in and my status still says "Last viewed on 9/3/14"
It's definitely when they last viewed. Because mine is end of August and I've definitely logged in after that!

Anyone know if they update to Review in progress or anything like that?

It's definitely when they last viewed. Because mine is end of August and I've definitely logged in after that!

Ahh wow so it's been 5 days since then...hope II is coming!!

Wait where are you all seeing this "last viewed" thing??

Wait where are you all seeing this "last viewed" thing??
Your status page - it's so detailed that it lets you know when they last looked at your application!

Mine has been viewed close to a month ago and no word... but I prefer silence over rejection at this point :)

Can someone post a screenshot of the "last viewed" thing bc I can't find it anywhere?

Your status page - it's so detailed that it lets you know when they last looked at your application!

Mine has been viewed close to a month ago and no word... but I prefer silence over rejection at this point :)
but it just says "your application is ready"

upload_2014-9-8_22-50-51.png

SELECT II offered on Monday and scheduled for 9/22!!

OOS, complete 8/14, stats are nothing to write home about but apparently they liked my secondary?
Congratulations! I'm so excited for you, sure you'll do great.

I'm patiently waiting for some good news, the longevity of this process is really starting to wear me down, and its only September!

II today.

OOS, MD/MPH, SELECT applicant. 32/3.5c/3.6s (3.8+ when you take away comm. coll. prior to military service). Nontrad, Military Vet, well traveled, Master's Degree, tons of extracurriculars - research, nonprofit founder, clinical and nonclinical volunteering in US and abroad. Complete 25 July.

Do you know if SELECT candidates have to interview in Allentown or in Tampa? In the invite e-mail it states, "Please log into your USF Morsani College of Medicine's Application and select the interview location (Tampa, FL) and date most convenient for you and that best fits your schedule (The Allentown, PA location is not available for Early Decision applicants)"

Do you know if SELECT candidates have to interview in Allentown or in Tampa? In the invite e-mail it states, "Please log into your USF Morsani College of Medicine's Application and select the interview location (Tampa, FL) and date most convenient for you and that best fits your schedule (The Allentown, PA location is not available for Early Decision applicants)"

That's where they do interviews. Either Allentown, PA or Tampa, FL.

So you can pick either location?

I think so. When I applied, they automatically sent me an invite for Tampa, because I was a Florida resident (although I was out of the country at the time so both locations were equally distant). I'm not sure what the new applications look like, but in general, they're pretty flexible.

I think so. When I applied, they automatically sent me an invite for Tampa, because I was a Florida resident (although I was out of the country at the time so both locations were equally distant). I'm not sure what the new applications look like, but in general, they're pretty flexible.
Thanks! I just scheduled mine for Tampa even though I am from PA. I want to see the Tampa campus and have family in the area, so I figured why not. I think it is great that they offer a meet and greet the night before. Hopefully it will allow me to relax a bit!

So they looked at my app today....."Last viewed 9/11" :O Still crickets....I can just imagine them debating "should we interview him, should we not?" And they're like deadlocked, so they throw my app in the backburner and look at the gazillion others. Then they look at it again at the end of the day and then throw it back in "Review Pile"

How do you guys see the last viewed thing? I submitted in 7/28 and I'm starting to think they haven't even looked at my app :(
Is a 30 MCAT and 3.60+ GPA enough to be considered?

How do you guys see the last viewed thing? I submitted in 7/28 and I'm starting to think they haven't even looked at my app :(
Is a 30 MCAT and 3.60+ GPA enough to be considered?

Should be on the app status tab. It'll be like "Your application is complete! (Your application was last viewed on (blank))"

Should be on the app status tab. It'll be like "Your application is complete! (Your application was last viewed on (blank))"
It just says your application is ready. Is it normal for them to take this long to look at an app, or am I just being paranoid...lol.

It just says your application is ready. Is it normal for them to take this long to look at an app, or am I just being paranoid...lol.
I submitted around the same time and I haven't seen anything either you're not alone

Mine was looked at today, I'm not sure if they're struggling to give me the invite or what lol

Anyone know what the average SELECT GPA + MCAT are for accepted or matriculants?

@xffan624 Is there somewhere on the secondary or another way to talk about ties to Florida if we are applying OOS? I grew up in the Tampa Bay area but have lived OOS for the past 8 years. I would love to make Florida my home again but I can't find anywhere to express it to USF....?

@xffan624 Is there somewhere on the secondary or another way to talk about ties to Florida if we are applying OOS? I grew up in the Tampa Bay area but have lived OOS for the past 8 years. I would love to make Florida my home again but I can't find anywhere to express it to USF....?

I would try to work it into the secondary answer. Maybe in the scholarly concentrations question, throw in how USF is your opportunity to come back to Florida and begin your career there in the local community blablabla....

Reactions: 1 users
I would try to work it into the secondary answer. Maybe in the scholarly concentrations question, throw in how USF is your opportunity to come back to Florida and begin your career there in the local community blablabla....
Good idea, thank you!

My last viewed has changed at least twice. I keep getting this film in my head; "Hey want a good laugh? Go check out that Pluto2 application. What was he thinking?"

Happy 15 September everyone - I consider today the half way point of our 12 month AMCAS to final acceptance quest.

Reactions: 3 users
Received an II today! First of the cycle so I'm incredibly excited! Scheduled for October 28th, was the first date available. So far away but oh well!

Was complete August 8th. For the Core program.

For those interested, undergrad GPA: 3.3 Grad GPA: 3.9 MCAT: 32. Reapp.

Reactions: 2 users