-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Vanderbilt University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No way to predict really so why not? 🙂Haha thanks for the reply, @karayaa ! I feel pretty good about my app, but I suppose it can't hurt. I'm kind of curious whether something like that at the last minute could swing a rejection to a waitlist or a waitlist to an acceptance.
Do you guys think the decisions come out Monday?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you guys think the decisions come out Monday?
I think last year they actually made the calls on a Sunday...
No kidding...@_# you are getting my hopes up!I think last year they actually made the calls on a Sunday...
I don't understand how they can send out secondaries still if their deadline for secondary submission has passed? Ugh I love nashvilleThanks! And to you! Not many are as complicated as I am. It's not entirely by choice. 😛
I figured that the folks in the thread like us might appreciate an update and a little ray of hope. By us, I mean folks that haven't heard anything yet. Still nothing today. I almost called, but I didn't want to bother them. I will probably call when it's been a week and ask how often they are okay with me calling to check my status.
No kidding...@_# you are getting my hopes up!
Sorry for any anxiety! I hope you hear good news tomorrow (assuming the website date is accurate)!!
I don't understand how they can send out secondaries still if their deadline for secondary submission has passed? Ugh I love nashville
I also find that idea incongruous. I guess it's an atypical presentation of the application process. 😛
No worries. I figured they might just want to keep the promise of Dec 15th. Last year it fell on a Sunday by chance. Good luck to you too!Sorry for any anxiety! I hope you hear good news tomorrow (assuming the website date is accurate)!!
Ahh I can't believe tomorrow is decision day (Or so we all believe 😀). Vandy is still at the top of my list, and I hope all of us hear good news tomorrow 🙂.
I've been lurking on various threads now and then just to see how it was going for other applicants with the single goal of not unwittingly stressing out my kid with any remotely stupid questions that I could usually find answer to on here. Seems to have worked. For both of us. I've also found I've gotten a better perspective and can be far more positive about silence from some schools. But now tomorrow is almost here. And Vandy is #1. Like really really #1. And when your kid really wants something, even if you aren't an indulging parent in the least, you'd like to see it happen, especially because it is definitely deserved. So there's that.
However, from everything I've read, it seems like how things will unfold tomorrow (or throughout the week for that matter) is pretty uncertain because technically they've never done it this way before. So I just want to put that out there, for one.
And finally, I just want to say that for those expecting some sort of answer this wave to remember that ultimately there is some sort of crap shoot involved, a random alignment, and that at the end of the day - whether you get in, deferred or rejected - says nothing about you personally. Still, I know that tomorrow is likely to be one of the biggest days of my kid's life to date... or not. And all I want to be able to do is say the right thing when I get that text or call... whatever the news. I have a good feeling, but even that is tricky to say out loud and not feel as if it's tempting fate to prove me wrong. But I have the courage of my conviction (anonymously of course 🙂 and am totally planning for the high pitched squeal of congratulations and couldn't be happier for you!
Can't wait to read all the details as they roll in throughout the day. Good Luck Everyone!
However, from everything I've read, it seems like how things will unfold tomorrow (or throughout the week for that matter) is pretty uncertain because technically they've never done it this way before. So I just want to put that out there, for one.
And finally, I just want to say that for those expecting some sort of answer this wave to remember that ultimately there is some sort of crap shoot involved, a random alignment, and that at the end of the day - whether you get in, deferred or rejected - says nothing about you personally. Still, I know that tomorrow is likely to be one of the biggest days of my kid's life to date... or not. And all I want to be able to do is say the right thing when I get that text or call... whatever the news. I have a good feeling, but even that is tricky to say out loud and not feel as if it's tempting fate to prove me wrong. But I have the courage of my conviction (anonymously of course 🙂 and am totally planning for the high pitched squeal of congratulations and couldn't be happier for you!
Can't wait to read all the details as they roll in throughout the day. Good Luck Everyone!
^ MVP
Kinda surprised by the lacking announcements closing in to noon. 🙁
As a note, they are Central time as opposed to Eastern time.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kinda surprised by the lacking announcements closing in to noon. 🙁
Also last year people said that they received their calls at night. Like after dinner ish.
Also there was some speculation over what the specific shading of the "under review" tab means
Ie. some people had their under review tab turned green, some people had the under review tab greyed out, some people didn't have the mouse over text. No consensus was found (to my knowledge) over what the shading of the tab meant
Ie. some people had their under review tab turned green, some people had the under review tab greyed out, some people didn't have the mouse over text. No consensus was found (to my knowledge) over what the shading of the tab meant
I just checked my "under review tab", it's still uncolored with mouse-over text. Is everyone else's the same?Also there was some speculation over what the specific shading of the "under review" tab means
Ie. some people had their under review tab turned green, some people had the under review tab greyed out, some people didn't have the mouse over text. No consensus was found (to my knowledge) over what the shading of the tab meant
me too!I just checked my "under review tab", it's still uncolored with mouse-over text. Is everyone else's the same?
I just checked my "under review tab", it's still uncolored with mouse-over text. Is everyone else's the same?
+1
+2
Do decisions come via email?I just checked my "under review tab", it's still uncolored with mouse-over text. Is everyone else's the same?
Last year the acceptances were via phone call with portal updates.Do decisions come via email?
This is helpful because the "under the review tab" posts don't help me at all! Plus, my kid never checks his online statuses, so when any of these threads talk about online nuances, I learn nothing except if it were me I would be doing it too, so Im glad he has been able to resist. Sounds maddening.Also last year people said that they received their calls at night. Like after dinner ish.
In some ways, I do think there are some very highly and yet unnecessarily stressed kids here, but on the other hand I am glad you have a place to vent (and I feel reassured that it's going about the same for him as for a lot of folks.) Sure wasn't the case in my day, this is certain!! Definitely a double-edged sword.
Of course, I risk being called a helicopter parent just for trying to pay attention! 😉 What would you term a parent who stealthily watches various websites and can always be counted on to do a little research if asked, a personal Consumer Reports? Mostly I keep what I know to myself and have zero opinions unless specifically brought up and even then I ask, are you venting or asking? Without a doubt, sometimes peeking behind the curtain allows me a certain calm that everything is on track - doesn't have to be a straight line in the least, and as it is, sometimes life is far more interesting if it's not! But hes' paying his way in the world. So, it's all good.
But I gotta say - this med school process is absolutely insane, and I had zero clue of it. I have a whole new respect for just about every doctor I've ever seen…. then again, I look at some of them and wonder how they ever made it! 🙂 Yep, in a lot of ways a crap shoot.
And as a mom, might I suggest you eat something early so you are either perfectly poised to pop the champagne or will have remained healthy by having something in your stomach when you lose your appetite completely. Allow yourself about 40 minutes to wallow - and then seriously, try your best to put it in your rearview mirror. It ain't over til it's all over…. sometimes life likes hoops. But secretly, I have ever finger and toes crossed for lots of good news!
@MommaMD I just want to say that I not only think you're a great parent (This process can be tremendously stressful at times) and I appreciate your perspective on this entire process. Although I know that your son (and all of us here!) love Vanderbilt and would be head-over-heels with an acceptance, we all need to be realistic and should be prepared for less than ideal news. Ultimately, I hope that at the end of this arduous journey everyone ends up at a school that not only caters to their individual personalities/career aspirations, but at a place where they will be happy and thrive.
I know people have been alluding to Dec 15 as "the date listed on the website", but for what it's worth the website simply says "mid-December".
I feel that most people during their check out session of their interview were told December 15. I just hope they weren't messing with us lolI know people have been alluding to Dec 15 as "the date listed on the website", but for what it's worth the website simply says "mid-December".
I feel that most people during their check out session of their interview were told December 15. I just hope they weren't messing with us lol
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They told us Dec 15 on our interview day I'm certain of that.
Do you mind sharing when you interviewed? They didn't tell my interview group any specific days.They told us Dec 15 on our interview day I'm certain of that.
I went back to my interview day materials and saw that I had written "Dec 15th" in the margins of that FAQ sheet they gave out at the end of the interview day. Strangely, I don't exactly remember writing that. I also saw that I had written a note that their clerkship year will be pass/fail. I had forgotten that, too! Interview days are hard on the brain...
My interview was middle-late October
My interview was middle-late October
Mid-Early Nov. interview date here. I believe we were simply told Mid-Dec and she also stressed that we might not hear back during the first round too and not to panic if we don't haha.
I was mid-Nov. I'm not expecting to hear back today. But she definitely said Dec 15 and then Feb 15.They told us Dec 15 on our interview day I'm certain of that.
Still have not received secondary or rejection. Does Vanderbilt even send pre-secondary rejection notification letters?
Joining the Dec 15 hopefuls! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!!
Still have not received secondary or rejection. Does Vanderbilt even send pre-secondary rejection notification letters?
I do not think that they will be sending out more secondaries. The secondary submission date was the beginning of this month.
hope is slowly dwindling...
Has anywhere heard news yet??hope is slowly dwindling...
Well I didn't expect complete silence. First year in this system though... That's what we keep telling ourselves...
Not IHas anywhere heard news yet??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no portal change either...Well I didn't expect complete silence. First year in this system though... That's what we keep telling ourselves...
A whole day of obsessively checking SDN for naught
Same...all is silent. I'm gonna call it for today
At least you're not the only one made a fool of. I said I was certain they were coming out today. Although I AM certain they said that, shows how much we can trust that. MD admissions for the win.no portal change either...
A whole day of obsessively checking SDN for naught
Let's hope tomorrow is the day!
Not today, but most likely sometime this week (hopefully).
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K