2014-2015 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So no rejections thus far? If you interviewed in Sept/Oct, however, I wonder if that's not a sort of silent rejection, and if you already wrote a letter of interest should you still send an update..... thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So no rejections thus far? If you interviewed in Sept/Oct, however, I wonder if that's not a sort of silent rejection, and if you already wrote a letter of interest should you still send an update..... thoughts?

I think older applications will probably not be looked at until late January or early February. An update letter (that also reiterates your interest) towards the end of January might be a good idea. I've heard that too many letters of interest/updates can be a negative if they are not substantial or personalized, so I would not force it.

I've been thinking about this for some other schools from which I haven't heard much. I feel that as applicants, letters are comforting in that they let us feel like we have some control over this process. But at some point, we just have to realize that we have to let the game play out according to its own strange rules. Good thank you notes and a letter of interest will let the committee know you are interested. The rest is up to them!

Last edited:
Can any MS3's or 4's speak to the clinical preparation you get during those years? Is it particularly hands-on? Or could residents let us know how well your experience at Vandy prepared you for residency? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
just got a vandy rejection lol... never received a secondary so i'm assuming it's mass reject time

Rejected (and I did get a secondary, but no II).

Rejection here too, got one of the automated secondaries.

Rejected pre-secondary haha not surprised in the slightest!!

Rejected pre-secondary as well. No worries since I was expecting this, but I do appreciate the finality!

Reactions: 1 user
just got a vandy rejection lol... never received a secondary so i'm assuming it's mass reject time

55247611.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
at first I was like ah man could it be an interview??!?!?!!?.... then I remembered oh yeah.. never even got a secondary :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
The post-secondary rejection hurts the worst :cryi: Especially since I was going to send them an update letter tomorrow

rejected pre-secondary. bummer.
Did anyone else get this message? "the Committee has determined you will not be offered admission into the 2015 First Year Class" even without a secondary/II?

On the bright side, I'm glad I didn't prewrite their essay....

Members don't see this ad :)
From my previous post:

Still no secondary. Essays still waiting to dance. =(

I would appreciate some morsel of hope, Vanderbilt, a simple status update, if you will. Or you could even dash my hopes with a rejection letter. Either is fine at this point, though I'd highly prefer the former...

SAY SOMETHIN' I'M GIVIN' UP ON YOU.

Well... they finally said somethin'. They said no. Rejected pre-secondary.

Oh, well. I don't know how much I'd like to be all the way in Tennessee, far from home, plus, I think I applied to too many schools anyway, so this is not really a loss for me.

Good luck to everyone else who might be hoping to get into Vandy!

Rejected pre-secondary also. Hey, at least I didn't have to write up their loooong secondary questions and pay the secondary fee if I was ultimately gonna be rejected anyway. :shrug:

Rejected pre-secondary as well yesterday. It's a relief to have at least some answer! Good luck to everyone still waiting for an interview :)

rejected pre-secondary. bummer.
Did anyone else get this message? "the Committee has determined you will not be offered admission into the 2015 First Year Class" even without a secondary/II?

On the bright side, I'm glad I didn't prewrite their essay....

Yep, you and me both. I heard yesterday with many of the rest of you. Kind of odd coming so long after their MSAR listed secondary application deadline. Vandy was my first choice, at least I read about Yale's high responsibility, high freedom program.

Did anyone out there get offered a secondary this late?

This thread was fairly painful to read with so many people talking about their acceptance and their 3/4 scholarship, meanwhile many of us were waiting to hear about being offered a secondary.

On a more positive note, congrats to all of you that were accepted!

Congratulations to all of you accepted, and hope your jubilation lasts and that the school is good to you! As for me, now I could kick myself for crafting that secondary so carefully--Vanderbilt finally said no (without an interview.) Sigh. But again--good on ya, all those who got the happy news!

Rejected pre secondary, but I ain't even mad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you Vandy for not making me write or pay for your secondary and for letting me know about my rejection...eventually. It hurt just a little.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you Vandy for not making me write or pay for your secondary and for letting me know about my rejection...eventually. It hurt just a little.

Seriously. Mad props to a school that isn't lazy about it's homework and actually looks at the primary before getting applicants to throw money at it for an autoreject.

Also, actually giving a rejection is a class move in this day and age. I hate when schools and jobs never respond to an application.

Reactions: 5 users
Rejected last night. I received a secondary back in September. LizzyM 76

Accepted on 12/16 with scholarship. A bit late posting this due to interview travel.

Congrats to the recent wave of acceptances! Not to totally hijack this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has gotten love with a lower GPA but high MCAT. I am considering applying next cycle but I'm wondering if it would be a waste of time or money - I have a 3.5/39 with pretty solid research and ECs/leadership. Thanks for the help!

Accepted on 12/16 with scholarship. A bit late posting this due to interview travel.

Same here, forgot to update SDN til today, but super excited! Interviewed right before Thanksgiving so wasn't expecting a decision til February. Hang in there, Feb people!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to the recent wave of acceptances! Not to totally hijack this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has gotten love with a lower GPA but high MCAT. I am considering applying next cycle but I'm wondering if it would be a waste of time or money - I have a 3.5/39 with pretty solid research and ECs/leadership. Thanks for the help!

for what it's worth I received an II with a 3.59/38 and a ton of research (4 years, 2 publications) and a decent amount of volunteer hours
I havent interviewed with Vanderbilt yet--but from my results from other interviews, I think my low GPA is kicking me into the alternate list. Maybe I could do a better job of presenting myself during interviews (and that's what I'm banking on for my Vandy interview) but I have a nagging feeling that the admissions committee sees the 3.5 and puts me on the back burner

any thoughts from anyone else?

Can any Vandy students comment on what second look was like? What kind of stuff did you do? Did you find it worthwhile?

Can any Vandy students comment on what second look was like? What kind of stuff did you do? Did you find it worthwhile?

For the past many years Vanderbilt has put the potential students up in a hotel near campus. The days are pretty full of activities including meals, talks/panels/meet and greet with administration and current students, and excursions to local attractions including going out at night if you are interested. There have also been additional activities for some students through the office of diversity affairs.

I went to second look last year, and it really was phenomenal (Generally, all of your second looks will be). It was worthwhile and gave me a great picture of what the school was like.

FYI when you are sitting around, chilling after your interview is over, there will be current students sitting near you pretending to study, but they are actually eavesdropping for red flags. Interact with your fellow applicants the way you would with an interviewer. Should go without saying but just saying.

FYI when you are sitting around, chilling after your interview is over, there will be current students sitting near you pretending to study, but they are actually eavesdropping for red flags. Interact with your fellow applicants the way you would with an interviewer. Should go without saying but just saying.

I never comment here, but as interview season wraps up I need to make abundantly clear that this is 100% untrue. (Many students study here, including myself. Sometimes we study in this location because it's fun to talk to y'all, other times because lots of other people we like to say hi to pass through. None of us have a connection with admissions.)

The portal says the committee meets at the end of February so probably beginning-mid March.

Can any current students or knowledgable applicants help me out here? I'm booking flights for second look. Any idea what time friday we should arrive? Also, I'm assuming that Saturday's activities will go late so it's probably best to book a departing flight for Sunday morning right?

Can any current students or knowledgable applicants help me out here? I'm booking flights for second look. Any idea what time friday we should arrive? Also, I'm assuming that Saturday's activities will go late so it's probably best to book a departing flight for Sunday morning right?

They said 3pm on Saturday and midday/mid afternoon Sunday in case you want to look at housing. It was in the acceptance/congrats email from Joshua.

Also I emailed Joshua and he said official materials will go out within the next week and a half.

Just withdrew after being deferred to Feb, post interview. I am honored to have been interviewed by Vanderbilt.

Congrats Friendly - as I assume you've been accepted elsewhere that makes you very happy! I wonder how many others who were accepted declined too. Mostly I am just crossing all digits for some good news for me here soon!

Congrats Friendly - as I assume you've been accepted elsewhere that makes you very happy! I wonder how many others who were accepted declined too. Mostly I am just crossing all digits for some good news for me here soon!
Thank you @Lakedays . Best of luck!

The portal says the committee meets at the end of February so probably beginning-mid March.

Just curious, where on the portal does it show that they're meeting at the end of Feb? I took a quick look but I don't see it there (though I am on my phone)

Their timeline still says mid February

Just wanted to make I'm not being anxious at the wrong time :D

us kidz who got deferred see that date

us kidz who got deferred see that date
I called admissions yesterday and Josh said that the second wave of acceptances should still be going out mid February. Has anyone else heard differently?

I called admissions yesterday and Josh said that the second wave of acceptances should still be going out mid February. Has anyone else heard differently?

well your info is more recent, so i'd go with that